Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 19:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Karnal-Mussoorie-Karnal (in a day!)?

Hello friends,

So before life starts getting hectic (with my attempts of finding a suitable job) and the summer catches up with scorching heat, I plan to go on a long drive for a day with couple of friends to Mussoorie. My Shark has been sitting calmly in my garage for a while now, and she is screaming aloud for a proper Italian Tuneup!

I plan to leave early in the morning, and return by late night the same day, preferably around May 20th or so!

Couple of questions that I have -

Which Route? The one I know is, Karnal - Yamuna nagar - Saharanpur - Dehradun - Massoorie! Now, is there any other alternate/better route that I can take?

Good place for eating out? I am a foodie, all right! So, anyone aware of some places with great cuisines?

Suggestions are welcome for - A few scenic sites to visit + great tarmac with some hairpin turns to give my shark a taste of sharp corners!

Pour in your invaluable info available ASAP and get ready for some gorgeous snaps, will yaa!

Adios for now!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 9th May 2011 at 20:00.
Old 9th May 2011, 22:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Karnal-Mussoorie-Karnal (in a day!)?

Quote:
Karnal - Yamuna nagar - Saharanpur - Dehradun - Massoorie!
This is the shortest but may you should avoid Indri route - prefer via kurukshetra - road from Ladwa to Y.nangar is very bad & Ladwa - Indri- Karnal is even worst .

Another option can be

Karnal - Shamli- Mfarnagar - Haridwar - Rishikesh - Dehradun - you must go to Ghats in Haridwar for evening prayers - with so many pooja Diwas in Ganges it looks awesome .

Quote:
she is screaming aloud for a proper Italian Tuneup!
sorry no such roads at least on your planned way , some stretches possible on Rishikesh - Dehradun road or even dehradun- Mussorie

will be very hectic for a day - better spend some time and in case you want to come on same day drive to Simla or Kasauli
Old 9th May 2011, 22:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I went to Dehradun from Gurgaon last month. I used Gurgaon- Yamunanagar-Paonta Sahib- Dehradun route while going and Saharanpur-YNR-Gurgaon while coming back.

The road from NH1 to Yamunanagar is terrible(read it as no road, good enough for 10kph at places). Saharanpur route has better roads but more traffic. Paonta Sahib route is more scenic and has lesser traffic, road not good at places. I'd suggest the Saharanpur route out of these.

There are no good eateries on both these routes, Subway/Dominos/McDonalds at Karnal is safer option.

Dehradun-Mussourie road has some nice hairpin turns, i made some good use of S mode in DSG 'box. Have fun but watch out for the Cabbies, some of them(especially DL regd) are foolish enough to overtake at bends.

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th May 2011 at 22:36.
Old 10th May 2011, 07:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Another option can be

Karnal - Shamli- Mfarnagar - Haridwar - Rishikesh - Dehradun - you must go to Ghats in Haridwar for evening prayers - with so many pooja Diwas in Ganges it looks awesome .

will be very hectic for a day - better spend some time and in case you want to come on same day drive to Simla or Kasauli
Don't even think of Shamli Muzaffarnagar route. Don't know about Karnal to Shamli, but from Shamli to Muzaffarnagar used to be a single road with terrible traffic. You will need more than 30 minutes to cross Muzaffarnagar. From Roorkee to Dehradun via Haridwar is a longer route.

Same day return will be very hectic and tiresome. Make it a 2 day programme and spend the night in Mussoorie.
Old 10th May 2011, 10:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rohit,as others have already said,roads arent good in this region.
they will take away the driving pleasure for sure.
Now since you have a day in hand.
It makes sense that you head out towards Nh-22,you can easily manage.
Karnal-Shimla-Karnal in a day.
and roads in the hills are good enough to push the shark
Old 10th May 2011, 13:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks so much for the replies, friends! So, I see two possibilities here!

Original route that I planned -
Karnal-Mussoorie-Karnal (in a day!)?-1.jpg

Alternate route that Anshuman suggests -
Karnal-Mussoorie-Karnal (in a day!)?-2.jpg

Quote:
This is the shortest but may you should avoid Indri route - prefer via kurukshetra - road from Ladwa to Y.nangar is very bad & Ladwa - Indri- Karnal is even worst .

Another option can be

sorry no such roads at least on your planned way , some stretches possible on Rishikesh - Dehradun road or even dehradun- Mussorie

I recently drove on Kurukshetra-Ladwa road, it is widened, newly made and is a driver's delight (except for a stretch of about 2 kms)! However, I am not sure how is the route from Ladwa-Yamuna Nagar on which I will surely need to drive on during this trip, as I see it!

as akj53 suggests, Shamli route may not be the best to pick, and while ghat sections in Haridwar sound juicy, I am not much religious person to begin with! Thanks for adding one more possibility though, I may give it a shot, will discuss it with my friends.

I know it will be a heck of a day for sure, but lets give it a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I went to Dehradun from Gurgaon last month. I used Gurgaon- Yamunanagar-Paonta Sahib- Dehradun route while going and Saharanpur-YNR-Gurgaon while coming back.

The road from NH1 to Yamunanagar is terrible(read it as no road, good enough for 10kph at places). Saharanpur route has better roads but more traffic. Paonta Sahib route is more scenic and has lesser traffic, road not good at places. I'd suggest the Saharanpur route out of these.

There are no good eateries on both these routes, Subway/Dominos/McDonalds at Karnal is safer option.

Dehradun-Mussourie road has some nice hairpin turns, i made some good use of S mode in DSG 'box. Have fun but watch out for the Cabbies, some of them(especially DL regd) are foolish enough to overtake at bends.
You are right, Anshuman! Paonta Sahib route goes through Kalesar National Park and bound to offer that little extra pint of scenic beauty; but if roads are not good as you say it, will it be worth taking it for one way?

Dehradun-Mussoorie route is indeed what makes me excited with this drive! Thanks for the heads up with those stupid cabbies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Don't even think of Shamli Muzaffarnagar route. Don't know about Karnal to Shamli, but from Shamli to Muzaffarnagar used to be a single road with terrible traffic. You will need more than 30 minutes to cross Muzaffarnagar. From Roorkee to Dehradun via Haridwar is a longer route.

Same day return will be very hectic and tiresome. Make it a 2 day programme and spend the night in Mussoorie.
I will see if I can stretch out the trip to make it for an extra day! That way, we can also explore a few off-sites nearby! I am all game for it, will check with my mates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Rohit,as others have already said,roads arent good in this region.
they will take away the driving pleasure for sure.
Now since you have a day in hand.
It makes sense that you head out towards Nh-22,you can easily manage.
Karnal-Shimla-Karnal in a day.
and roads in the hills are good enough to push the shark
Akshay, I have been to Jind-Kalka-Shimla route many times. Moreover, I went to Mussoorie a long time ago, so the itch is inevitable here! But Shimla is an option if my buddies are not in for a nightout! The shark has got a little bit of extra clothing around her, you may be interested to have a look. Will let you know if I eventually choose to cruise on that route in case we can plan a short and impromptu meet!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 10th May 2011 at 13:47.
Old 10th May 2011, 14:50   #7
BHPian

From Karnal> Kunjpura>Jathlana>Yamuna nagar>sahranpur> Dehradoon, there is no need to to go to Ladwa as you shown in google maps . Check mapmyindia. Road to Yamunanagar is single but is in good condition except lots of speed breakers. You will reach yamuna nagar in 1.25 hrs. Try leaving early around 5 pm you will be able to avoid all trolleys and tractors, cyclists on road and should reach to Mussorie around 9:00 am
Old 10th May 2011, 16:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
From Karnal> Kunjpura>Jathlana>Yamuna nagar>sahranpur> Dehradoon, there is no need to to go to Ladwa as you shown in google maps . Check mapmyindia. Road to Yamunanagar is single but is in good condition except lots of speed breakers. You will reach yamuna nagar in 1.25 hrs. Try leaving early around 5 pm you will be able to avoid all trolleys and tractors, cyclists on road and should reach to Mussorie around 9:00 am
Thats what I am targeting by leaving early in the morning! Thanks for the directions to takeout Ladwa route! Have you been to this route recently, because I will be driving my Civic (already quite a bit low slung) fully loaded, and bad roads with Civic mean
Attached Thumbnails
Karnal-Mussoorie-Karnal (in a day!)?-untitled.jpg  

Old 10th May 2011, 16:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From Karnal> Kunjpura>Jathlana>Yamuna nagar
Never heard of this route - I travel very often from Gurgaon to Ynagar - don't go via Indri - Kurukshetra - Ladwa - you are correct is good but after Ladwa - very bad - this was reason of suggesting you Shamli route - but if you want to avoid Haridwar then no need - another other option - continue on NH1 - after shahbad turn towards Saha and then on to Ynagar - it will not make much difference time vise - this will be much fater route . Further you can tavoid Y nagar completely and go either via Paonta Sahib -- take left just before start of Jaghadhri or continue straight - don't take right from B stand - you will eventually meet Ynagar - Sharanpur highway .

Quote:
should reach to Mussorie around 9:00 am
no chances ..
Old 10th May 2011, 16:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never heard of this route - I travel very often from Gurgaon to Ynagar - don't go via Indri - Kurukshetra - Ladwa - you are correct is good but after Ladwa - very bad - this was reason of suggesting you Shamli route - but if you want to avoid Haridwar then no need - another other option - continue on NH1 - after shahbad turn towards Saha and then on to Ynagar - it will not make much difference time vise - this will be much fater route . Further you can tavoid Y nagar completely and go either via Paonta Sahib -- take left just before start of Jaghadhri or continue straight - don't take right from B stand - you will eventually meet Ynagar - Sharanpur highway .
hmmm.... Yep, the Shahbad route can be taken in case I am going through Paonta Sahib!

Quote:
no chances ..
I don't want to take it up as a challenge but why so? The distance one way is about 200 kms from Karnal and with my established (and tested) 75kmph average speed with my Civic, the time taken should be in ballpark of 4 hours, shouldn't it! The road from Dehradun to Mussoorie can actually take an extra while because of inclines and lower average speed, I believe!
Old 10th May 2011, 17:08   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't want to take it up as a challenge but why so
i don't know when was the last time you drove in UP and these parts of haryana - Y.nagar - Saharanpur is about 30 km - never done in less than 45 minutes + additional time to cross Saharnpur on most time of day - very late nights / early morning a bit different though

Quote:
75kmph average speed with my Civic
these average speeds on the route you have planned - sorry - when you return please share - don't expect maximum average on these roads beyond - 45-50 , even on Highways 75 is a dream at least on NH1 - from my Gurgaon Home to Chandigarh - i used to do in 3 -hours + 15-30 minutes depending on traffic in 2004 in my corrola , 8 years later with panipat bridge & Chandigarh - Ambala 4 lane - i have never done this stretch in less than 4 hours - in my 530D - roads or maybe i am getting older..

getting to Dehradoon is difficult - doon to mussorie - you can drive much faster despite curves .
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 17:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
when you return please share
Sure, I will put down my experience here!

However, you are indeed right about some stretches on NH1 during your Gurgaon - Chandigrah trips, average speed there has been a bit low recently! But now a days coming from Gurgaon, a lot of time is taken up during getting out of NCR and thats what adds to the total time!

PS - Nice garage you have got! 530D, sweeeeeet! Beast of an engine, complete sleeper looks, and best of all is the blue and white propeller on the hood, reading BMW! A softroader in the form of X6; and a truck that is virtually indestructible, the Toyota Fortuner!

Hope to see a detailed review of your rides from BMW stable. Please take some time to write about the 530D and the X6!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 10th May 2011 at 17:35.
Old 10th May 2011, 17:46   #13
Team-BHP Support

Thanks , I will try to write something - ya 530D is very peppy - no other cars that i have driven come closer - handling definitely better in x6 but speed and control at higher speeds - 5 series - are you on holiday here or keep on shuttling ? Leaving canada in summers for India ??
Old 10th May 2011, 18:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks , I will try to write something - ya 530D is very peppy - no other cars that i have driven come closer - handling definitely better in x6 but speed and control at higher speeds - 5 series
Great, what generation is your 5 series? E60 or F10? Personally, I love E60 for its aggressive looks which have been toned down a bit with the latest F10!!! And which X6 BTW? Diesel/Petrol OR the big one reading ///M all over it! lol.

There is no other way of saying this, you have bought yourself two absolute gems from BMW! 530D is a joy for asphalt. X6 is a competent softroader, has been immensely popular in India, and a sure-shot head turner!

Quote:
- are you on holiday here or keep on shuttling ? Leaving canada in summers for India ??
haha... weird shuffling between seasons, isn't it! Well, I completed my post graduation from Canada and returned to India last month only! Planning to have a job here for a year or two before I return back to the west for further studies!

Sorry for going . I will plan my trip ASAP and will return back with some happy memories to share! Thanks again for the offered help, fellas! I highly appreciate it!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 10th May 2011 at 18:20.
Old 10th May 2011, 22:44   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
E60 or F10?
its E60 - i changed with my 3 series - yes i too mis Bangle , 4 Years back i could afford only 3 series else would have bought the F 10 , I bought this in cashmere silver color and it looks really good on this .

sorry no M except for my caps at the moment - its 3.0 D - yes its quite a head turner - i have up-size wheels with low profiles .

Most Viewed