Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 03:27   #16
BHPian

re: Kishangarh / Sikar to Bhatinda : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Ok guys, I manage to speak to a bus driver and a taxi driver who do Jaipur to Amritsar almost everyday.

They have advised me to take the mega highway that is from Ratangarh all the way to Amritsar. They have confirmed that 95% of this route is 4 laned with very good roads. So I have more or less decided to take the so called Mega Highway

I plan to do a status check and decide if I need a halt at Amritsar or if I can carry on from there to Pathankot and then to Jammu

So while going my route will be the following

Jaipur - Sikar - fatehpur - ratangarh (take a right) - Sardarsheher- Hardesar - Rawatsar - Abohar - Muktsar- Faridkot - Taran Taran- Amritsar.

The total distance till Amritsar from Jaipur on this route is 678kms and from Amritsar till Jammu is 205kms

So the total distance covered will be 883 kms

Now waiting for Tanveer to send me the return journey GPX from Dalhousie - Pathankot- Delhi via the inside route. And then I am all set
This is absolutely ok. Very less driving stress and very nice vistas. You will reach NH 15 at Abohar and it continues right upto Pathankot. From there you will be on NH1A. Ony about 30 kms near Hanumangarh will not be good. Rest is all flat tarmac.

Here the link for NH 15.
National Highway 15 (India) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have done this from Pathankot to Bachau city (just before Kandla) this year. It is pretty nice.

Also, while coming back from Dalhousie, although the toll is on the higher side, but the road is a breeze. I think we have to get used to tolls in our country.

Mukerian - Hoshiarpur-Garhshankar-Ropar road all the way to Chandigarh is excellent. And i wonder why chandigarh has such a bad reputation that everybody suggests to avoid it. It is just any other place where they follow traffic rules. I have been to the Chandigarh so many times and never had any problem. I have done this road also many times this year and also for last many years.

All you have to follow is some basic traffic rules. And being a team-BHPian, it should be a breeze. I mean if we do not follow the basics then who will?

Things to take care while in Chandigarh:
1. No fancy number plates. No italics, garish fonts, extra colors. Just simple black text (standard size on white number plate). as the car that comes with dealer-supplied number plate.

2. Maintain speed limits. Rule of the thumb, stay below 55 on all roads. Inside the sectors, the speed limit is lesser but you won't be going there in case you are just passing thru the city. Also, cops do not check speeds there.
There are some roads where the limit is 65 but why bother? Just stay below 55. That's it.

3. In case you driving thru at night, use your dipper. And this the city where you use those height adjustments of the headlights beams in all new cars. Just lower the beam at lowest position. The challan is for using 'blinding lights'. So in case you on low beam but the lights are pointing up, its a challan. And follow this even at mid-night and even if you expect no checking. I have seen challans for hi-beams even at 2 am!

4. Just stop at all red lights. Even if there is no-one around. we have this amazing habit in our country, of jumping red lights when we see no cop around. Do not do it.

5. Wear seat belts. All the time.

6. No tints beyond permitted levels. I guess it is 30%. Rule of the thumb is that people inside the car should be visible to the cop. If that is not there, no amount of argument will save you.

7. You will not be hauled up if nothing is amiss. That is, there is no ad hoc checking. Cops generally do not harass you. You will not be asked to stop and show your papers etc. The documents will matter only if you break some traffic rule.

8. In case you are hauled up. Insist that you want to pay right there. You have this right, since you are from a different city. Try not to grease palms.

9. Ok. This is for the extreme case, in case you are hauled up and and you are unable squeeze out. Ideally, I do not advise you to pay (bribe). But if you are kind, who would not mind paying, the fee is Rs. 500. Nothing less or more.. This is India and Gandhiji is respected and appreciated everywhere. Including Chandigarh. And while I am writing this, I am thinking that we can have a thread on how much to pay in different cities across India. I think we need not shy from it. Its the damn reality of our times.

10. The Name of the SSP (crime) in Chandigarh is Mr. Naunihal Singh Aulakh. In case you have any bad experience, do not hesitate to report the matter personally to him. In my opinion, he is one of the most honest police officers available in country. And is feared among the police. Use this name in case of a problem. Just note down the name of the cop a harassing you and you send the details of the incident even on an email. police@chd.nic.in phone is 0172-2760001 .

Have a nice trip.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 15th May 2011 at 03:45.
wanderhermit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 08:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

wanderhermit, thanks for the tips on driving through Chandigarh, that was fantastic.
Why do we prefer not to go through Chandigarh? Avoid a large city, not take chances with getting lost inside trying to find the connecting highway, availability of good bypasses (like Banur) and scare for cops who are standing right at the border. Maybe in Chandigarh cops are less corrupt, but typically in most places in India, out-of-state cars are harassed - as in PB, TN, MH and DL (till recently). Till a few years ago, there has not been a single occasion when my car has been stopped at the DL border and even though there was nothing wrong with my car or my driving habits, I have had to give out "Gandhis".

In the Jaipur-Amritsar route, which sections are still 2-laned?
Old 15th May 2011, 08:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Okay, here is the GPX track of my route.
If you look at this, iits actually almost similar to "as the crow flies".

A note of caution, since it was late night, we accidently passed through hoshiarpur. I am told there is a bypass too.
Attachment 544942
Which is the programme required to open the gpx file.
Old 15th May 2011, 12:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
hi

I don't think you will need to go to Abohar ,

Jaipur - Sikar - Churu - Sirsa - Batinda - kotkapura - Tarantaran - Amritsar - Jammu

At Tarntarn you have two options - either go straight to amritsar or ask for NH1 - in which case you will be able to bypass Amritsar city by taking right towards Wagah Border just before you enter Amritsar and then take a right for Batala from verka Chowk

Option 2

From Sirsa - go to Barnala - Ludhiana - Jallandhar - Pathankot

Jaipur, Rajasthan, India to Jammu, Jammu & Kashmir, India - Google Maps
Thanks for the alternate route, I checked and rechecked and I am pretty sure that I would want to try out this mega highway via Hanumangarh. Though your route seems shorter by 50 odd kms but I think the mega highway roads will be better and covering up that distance w.r.t time will be easier on my route. (I just hope I am not wrong) Any way while going to jammu I will be travelling alone so a bit of adventure wont harm much

What I really would like to know more is, how to bypass Amritsar? Can you tell me more details about the route that bifurcates at Taran Taran for NH1 and rejoins NH15 at Batala?? Is Verka chowk on NH1??

Also thinking allowed, Can I go to wagah Border from taran taran without hitting Amritsar and then after watching the ceremony proceed to Pathankot, again without hitting Amritsar? BTW what time is the ceremony at Wagah? And how long is it?

Quote:
Hello HVK Sir

I have not traveled on this but have seen lot of truckers referring to route of Bhatinda from Kishangarh - may be this is the same road but given the fact that he will be travelling mostly on 2 laned roads and this 4 lane is not going to be a major portion , he can avoid a detour . And there is anothe option from Kotkapure - he can also go to Jallandhar / Ludhiana - there are lot of options

I travel very often on Gurgaon - Hissar - Sirsa - Dabwali - Muktsar - Ludhiana route - almost once in 2 months and most of this route after Rohtak is breeze - + 140 on these roads sometimes even higher post Fatehabad..
Your information about roads on this area seems to be pretty good.Well done!! You have given loads of options to people travelling from this side.

All I want to say is that on my route i.e the mega highway, what I hear is that 95% of the route is 4 lanned till Amritsar. Which will be conducive for good speeds hopefully. So I think I will avoid the Rajasthan state highways ( Churu- Sirsa), which I know can be good and bad in patches

Quote:

better you plan - Dalhousie - Pathankot ( there is a bypass after Chaki for NH1) - Jallandar - Delhi or from Dasuya ( a little ahead of Mukerian ) you can take a left for Hoshiarpur - Garsankar - Nawanshar -Balachaur -Ropar - Kharar - Banur - Rajpura - Ambala or if you want to visit chandigarh - than from Kharar go straight to Chandigarh instead of Banur . From Chandigarh you can come via Ambala to Delhi.

There is one more road from Dalhousie that will take you to Talwara & then Hoshiarpur - I am not aware of road conditions at the moment - i shall be able to check with my knowns on Monday and update

Hi - this is not correct - Phagwara - Mohali road is a simple 2 lamed Tolled Road with very high traffic - this road connects Chandigarh to Jallandhar and meets NH1 at Phagwara about 20 Kms before Jallandhar - Pathankot is way away from phagwara about 130 km ahead ..
1. Thanks for the info, lemme plot this on google maps and see how different is it from Tanveers GPX

2. Thanks again, do check and lemme know, as now I am planning the easiest and the most trouble free way back to delhi from Dalhousie. Driving on NH1 can be as it is bad plus on my return journey I will be having a car load of people including my 3 yr old kid and that would mean lots of stops anyways

3. I think Tanveer later clarified in a later post that he meant it was a network of highways he was reffering to, so you both are on the same track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post

BTW, Amritsar -Pathankot Route is a 2 lane road, in Bad Shape, passes through congested towns Batala, Dhariwal, Gurdaspur, Dinanagar to name a few. It takes 3 Hours to reach farther end of Amritsar from Pathankot, distance is 110 km.

However, Ganganagar - Amritsar is quite good.

You can take Jaipur - Sikar - Hisar - Narwana - Ambala route. Total is 565 km as compared to 470 km via Delhi. From Ambala follow the route as suggested by Tsk in above posts.

Alternate scenic route from Ropar onwards is Via Anandpur Sahib - Nangal -Una -Mubarakpur - Chintpurni -Talwara - Jasur - Chakki. From Chakki (10 km from Pathankot) you have option to go at Dalhousie or take NH-20 to Kangra , Dharmsala etc.
1. Someone told me Amritsar to Pathankot is an excellent road. His exact words were " Kanch Vargi Sadak" means it is just like glass!! Anyway I will soon find out

2. While going, I have to go to Jammu to pick up my MIL, wife and kid from there, hence cannot give Jammu a miss. On return we plan to go to Dalhousie for 2 days and then return to Delhi to drop my MIL, hence can not give Delhi a miss also. Though your route is definitely scenic but doesnt help solve my purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
This is absolutely ok. Very less driving stress and very nice vistas. You will reach NH 15 at Abohar and it continues right upto Pathankot. From there you will be on NH1A. Ony about 30 kms near Hanumangarh will not be good. Rest is all flat tarmac.

Here the link for NH 15.
National Highway 15 (India) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have done this from Pathankot to Bachau city (just before Kandla) this year. It is pretty nice.

Also, while coming back from Dalhousie, although the toll is on the higher side, but the road is a breeze. I think we have to get used to tolls in our country.

Mukerian - Hoshiarpur-Garhshankar-Ropar road all the way to Chandigarh is excellent. And i wonder why chandigarh has such a bad reputation that everybody suggests to avoid it. It is just any other place where they follow traffic rules. I have been to the Chandigarh so many times and never had any problem. I have done this road also many times this year and also for last many years.

Have a nice trip.
1. so did you do pathankot to Kandla on NH15 fully i.e via Ganganager-bikaner and jaiselmer or did you take the mega highway that I am reffering to i.e via abohar - hanumangarh - hardesar - Ratangarh and Kishangarh. If you did the later and you say its good, then its a great relief.

2. I dont mind the toll till the roads are good.

3. Thanks for the update on Chandigarh, I dont mind the traffic police, its just that I would hate to get stuck in the city traffic and when there is a proper bypass available that will save the stress of driving through a city, then why not use it.

For following traffic rules, I think everyone should follow traffic rules all the time weather be in Chandigarh or be in Andaman's. Following traffic rules should not be an effort, it has to come automatically!!
Old 15th May 2011, 12:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Which is the programme required to open the gpx file.
You can use google earth
Quote:

1. Thanks for the info, lemme plot this on google maps and see how different is it from Tanveers GPX

2. Thanks again, do check and lemme know, as now I am planning the easiest and the most trouble free way back to delhi from Dalhousie. Driving on NH1 can be as it is bad plus on my return journey I will be having a car load of people including my 3 yr old kid and that would mean lots of stops anyways

3. I think Tanveer later clarified in a later post that he meant it was a network of highways he was reffering to, so you both are on the same track.

1. Someone told me Amritsar to Pathankot is an excellent road. His exact words were " Kanch Vargi Sadak" means it is just like glass!! Anyway I will soon find out

2. While going, I have to go to Jammu to pick up my MIL, wife and kid from there, hence cannot give Jammu a miss. On return we plan to go to Dalhousie for 2 days and then return to Delhi to drop my MIL, hence can not give Delhi a miss also. Though your route is definitely scenic but doesnt help solve my purpose.

1. so did you do pathankot to Kandla on NH15 fully i.e via Ganganager-bikaner and jaiselmer or did you take the mega highway that I am reffering to i.e via abohar - hanumangarh - hardesar - Ratangarh and Kishangarh. If you did the later and you say its good, then its a great relief.

3. Thanks for the update on Chandigarh, I dont mind the traffic police, its just that I would hate to get stuck in the city traffic and when there is a proper bypass available that will save the stress of driving through a city, then why not use it.

For following traffic rules, I think everyone should follow traffic rules all the time weather be in Chandigarh or be in Andaman's. Following traffic rules should not be an effort, it has to come automatically!!
Deky, my gpx i same as what turbanator suggested.
@wandernomad. chd should be avoided. Just like any big city is avoided. I used to live in chd, and the central roads used to be fast.
But traffic has grown so much, that if you do not by pass chd, you waste almost an hour.
Moreover banur road is not yet a toll road, so you save money.
Toll gates on GVK expressway have huge lines, leading to waste of time, that time is also saved.

LAst but not the least, when you exit chd, there is a big traffic bottleneck there due to narrow bridge.

You bypass that also.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 13:28   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would want to try out this mega highway via Hanumangarh
Our routes till Ratangarh are common, you can take a call when you reach there after checking with locals . I still feel that you should be comfortable via Sirsa ..

Quote:
Can I go to wagah Border from taran taran without hitting Amritsar and then after watching the ceremony proceed to Pathankot, again without hitting Amritsar?
Yes - in that case you can take road directly from Taran tarn for Attari / Wagah , in return you need not enter Amritsar city and continue on Bye Pass till Verka Chowk where you will can take a left

Taran Taran, Punjab, India to Pathankot, Punjab, India - Google Maps

Quote:
BTW what time is the ceremony at Wagah? And how long is it
It starts around sun set but you should reach a hour or so before it starts so around 4:30 PM should be OK , flags are lowered and gates are closed , if you find some contacts there you can actually go to Zero Land but i am not sure if they allow this to every one , i was lucky to be there 2 Years back - i was travelling alone just happened to give a soldier a ride who happened to be an Inspector there and he ensured i could go as far as possible ..

Quote:
i.e the mega highway, what I hear is that 95% of the route is 4 lanned till Amritsar.
I seriously doubt , the roads can be good 2 laned at the most - have not traveled in this part so shall await your travelogue

Quote:
Thanks for the update on Chandigarh, I dont mind the traffic police, its just that I would hate to get stuck in the city traffic and when there is a proper bypass available that will save the stress of driving through a city, then why not use it.
The problem in chandigarh is outside Number plates more than any rules or that , 500 is too much - only places that cops can stop you will be on red Lights more on roundabouts or outer peripheral roads - I will advise you to visit chandigarh if you have not been there before - roads are very easy unlike other places even if you miss a turn somewhere you can always take the next one , for the Cops - i will suggest you to drive in such a way that you reach light on Green - so if you see the red light slow a bit and try to reach intersection on Green - of course on busy intersections this wont work but on those places cops will also not stop you for fear of jams , and do keep short change of Rs 50 each in your pocket - if they happen to stop - try with one single Rs 50 else make 2 - no need to give DL or RC - thats the most common mistake people do - they will ask for papers first but you should simply give money - they will not ask any thing else ..
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 13:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Now return journey route from Dalhousie via pathankot is also more or less set thanks to Tanveer & Turbanator.

Tanveer I have downloaded your gpx file in my gpx foder in the Garmin. Not sure if it will show the route or no, so I have also written down all the directions, just like the old fashioned way!!

I will be taking

Dalhousie - Pathankot - Dasuya (take left) - Hoshiarpur - Garhshanker - Balachur - Roopnagar/Ropar - Kharar - Ambala - Karnal - Panipat - Delhi

Now the following things need to be fine tuned

1. are their alternate routes from Dalhousie to Pathankot or there is just one route??

2. Is there a route to bypass Pathankot while coming from Dalhousie and going towards Delhi? ( I think Turbanator is checking on that..right?)

3. I think I will be reaching delhi by 2000hrs on a monday evening. I finally will have to reach Gurgaon for the night spend. So What is the best way to reach Gurgaon (Palam Vihar) after I hit Delhi from Ambala? Is ringroad from Azadpur the best way or is there a better option?

Once again Thanks and regards to all!!
Old 15th May 2011, 14:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes - in that case you can take road directly from Taran tarn for Attari / Wagah , in return you need not enter Amritsar city and continue on Bye Pass till Verka Chowk where you will can take a left
Thanks for the route to Wagah border. It will be very helpful if i reach in time for that.

But I am confused which is Verka Chowk?? Is it the big roundabout on your map in between Wagah and Amritsar??

Now tell me, just incase time does not permit me to go to Wagah and I just want to bypass Amritsar. So from where should I take a left to reach Verka Chowk?

Can you mark it on the map . It will make things simpler for me.

Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 14:20   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3. In case you driving thru at night, use your dipper. And this the city where you use those height adjustments of the headlights beams in all new cars. Just lower the beam at lowest position. The challan is for using 'blinding lights'. So in case you on low beam but the lights are pointing up, its a challan. And follow this even at mid-night and even if you expect no checking. I have seen challans for hi-beams even at 2 am!...................
...6. No tints beyond permitted levels. I guess it is 30%. Rule of the thumb is that people inside the car should be visible to the cop. If that is not there, no amount of argument will save you.
Now,i thought that Thiruvananthapuram police was the most strictest in the policing.
But checking out and fining for hi-beams.That's a very good move,more necessary than checking speeds at night.
And though i have read about it,it's alien concept for me to fine for dark tints. I mean don't we have our rights to use whatever tints we want except for the windshield? Correct me if am wrong and what's the logic behind the illegality of dark tints?
Old 15th May 2011, 14:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
which is Verka Chowk?
Its the roundabout where you take left in the Map - verka milk plant is mentioned in map

Quote:
just incase time does not permit me to go to Wagah and I just want to bypass Amritsar. So from where should I take a left to reach Verka Chowk?
In that case you will have to ask for Jandiala at Tarantarn , its a small town on NH1, from Jandiala you will continue on NH1 towards Amritsar take a right just before entering Amritsar - look for directions for Wagha border - at about 6 km you will land up at Verka Chowk but this time you will be coming from opposite direction and will take a right for Pathankot

But if you don't visit Golden Temple irrespective of the time you reach , your journey will be uncompleted .. in case you want to go to Golden Temple -- continue straight to Amritsar from Tarantaran

Taran Taran, Punjab, India to Verka Milk Plant - Google Maps

In case you are not going to wagha nor golden temple than probably change route to

Bhatinda - KotKapura - Moga - Jallandhar - Jammu

Kotkapura - Moga is so called expressway ,, a tolled 2 lane way & Jallandhar - Pathankot is definitely better than Amritsar - Pathankot

Quote:
I think I will be reaching delhi by 2000hrs on a monday evening. I finally will have to reach Gurgaon for the night spend. So What is the best way to reach Gurgaon (Palam Vihar) after I hit Delhi from Ambala?
Are you coming to my home - i too live in Palam vihar , Gurgaon - and thanks to my job Drive at least once in week to Chandigarh..

As soon as you land up on Karnal Bype pass - if you are not aware of this - the first intersection after reaching Delhi about 20 km ahead after entering delhi border - you will find a Left for ISBT leave this & go a bit Straight than take the exit on to flyover on left for Rohini / Airport ( Straight one goes to Ajadpur ) , carry on this road till Rohini underpass from where you will have to take a left - do not go under the pass just take left from the light - travel further about 5 km ahead carry on straight to Fly over and it will take you to ring road - continue till you see a U turn for Delhi Cant ( about 8 Km or so ) after U turn take left for Delhi Cant - continue for Airport ( old terminal ) you should land up again on NH8 . Immediately After crossing the first Toll on Expressway don't take the flyover and instead drive straight - you have to look for directions for Udyog Vihar - take second right under the bridge ( kind of U turn ) take first left - you will find Hotel Trident on your left - continue Straight till road ends on T junction - you are now on Old Jaipur highway - take left - around 2 Km ahead take right - you will see Sign boards for Palam Vihar - drive straight for around 4 kms you will come at round about of Palam vihar, hope this helps

Unknown road to Major Sushil Aima Marg - Google Maps
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 22:58   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I did a Gurgaon-Jaipur-Gurgaon trip today. The roads are in a bad shape due to expressway work, the traffic especially the heavy trucks is very annoying, especially the Jams at Behror and Kotputli. There are diversions every few kms further slowing down the traffic. Really tired after driving 10+hours today.
Old 16th May 2011, 00:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Now,i thought that Thiruvananthapuram police was the most strictest in the policing.
But checking out and fining for hi-beams.That's a very good move,more necessary than checking speeds at night.
And though i have read about it,it's alien concept for me to fine for dark tints. I mean don't we have our rights to use whatever tints we want except for the windshield? Correct me if am wrong and what's the logic behind the illegality of dark tints?

Since India is a very hot country particularly in Summers, I also think that tints should be allowed. However, there are few issues with the tints.

1. Its bit dangerous driving in night with heavy tints. And rains would make it worse.

2. wearing seat belts: Now how can traffic cops see whether you are wearing these or not. Now they can not stop all cars.

3. Lastly. But the most important. Car Rapes. Tints in these parts have been banned because nouveau riche young men with their expensive SUV'S made a habit of kidnapping girls at night and rape them ON THE MOVE. Now this was becoming a menace. Hence the ban. Most of these people belonged to neibouring towns of Punjab and Haryana. North is particularly a dangerous place for women traveling alone in at night.

4. Car-o-bar: Moving bars inside expensive Suv's with huge table like dashboards. It had become a menace. I think the word evolved in this city. The new SSP has come down heavily on these guys. And drinking and driving is being challaned. It was a normal feature to see big SUV's crowding liquor vends around the evening since the booze is cheapest in UT. And they would roam about till late night. It has pretty much stopped. Entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You can use google earth

Deky, my gpx i same as what turbanator suggested.
@wandernomad. chd should be avoided. Just like any big city is avoided. I used to live in chd, and the central roads used to be fast.
But traffic has grown so much, that if you do not by pass chd, you waste almost an hour.
Moreover banur road is not yet a toll road, so you save money.
Toll gates on GVK expressway have huge lines, leading to waste of time, that time is also saved.

LAst but not the least, when you exit chd, there is a big traffic bottleneck there due to narrow bridge.

You bypass that also.
I agree, the city is pretty crowded during rush hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
wanderhermit, thanks for the tips on driving through Chandigarh, that was fantastic.
Why do we prefer not to go through Chandigarh? Avoid a large city, not take chances with getting lost inside trying to find the connecting highway, availability of good bypasses (like Banur) and scare for cops who are standing right at the border. Maybe in Chandigarh cops are less corrupt, but typically in most places in India, out-of-state cars are harassed - as in PB, TN, MH and DL (till recently). Till a few years ago, there has not been a single occasion when my car has been stopped at the DL border and even though there was nothing wrong with my car or my driving habits, I have had to give out "Gandhis".

In the Jaipur-Amritsar route, which sections are still 2-laned?
The road is not two laned. May be very few parts. And it is staggered. And I agree, cops do tend to focus cars with 'out of state' number plates because they know that these people are in hurry and would not have any connections with local authorities.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 16th May 2011 at 00:43.
Old 16th May 2011, 01:00   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, I done this road many times in last few years as I have been a rally official for rallies like Raid-de-himalaya, Desert Storm and also Moghul Rally for the last couple of years. I have done this and all other routes like those thru churu, Sikar, etc. I just like to take different routes every time I go somewhere. It adds up to the fun.

This year while going from from Chd to Camp Dhordo in Gujrat, we took this route. we took around 36 hours to reach Dhordo which just included, Bio-breaks and few offroading breaks. And it was fun. Up North from Faridkot to Amritsar was done this winters. It included some bird watching at Harike wetlands. You will pass thru it.
Plus I do keep doing other roads I mentioned on regular basis.

Also note, that these roads are not entirely two laned. Only some patches.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 16th May 2011 at 01:02.
Old 16th May 2011, 02:35   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Its bit dangerous driving in night with heavy tints. And rains would make it worse.
2. wearing seat belts: Now how can traffic cops see whether you are wearing these or not. Now they can not stop all cars.
3. Lastly. But the most important. Car Rapes. Tints in these parts have been banned becausenouveau riche young men with their expensive SUV'S made a habit of kidnapping girls at night and rape them ON THE MOVE. Now this was becoming a menace. Hence the ban. Most of these people belonged to neibouring towns of Punjab and Haryana. North is particularly a dangerous place for women traveling alone in at night.
4. Car-o-bar: Moving bars inside expensive Suv's with huge table like dashboards. It had become a menace. I think the word evolved in this city. The new SSP has come down heavily on these guys. And drinking and driving is being challaned. It was a normal feature to see big SUV's crowding liquor vends around the evening since the booze is cheapest in UT. And they would roam about till late night. It has pretty much stopped. Entirely.
Point one taken. I too personally prefer clear glass or if at all light tints for visibility reasons. Though for efficient a/c performance in our climate and privacy reasons(especially in interior parts village folks tend to peer inside the moving vehicle to see whose travelling) then dark tints needed. My take,one way tints.
Point two: well the front windshield is free for them to see,anyway avalid point.
Point three: Phew,straight out of a movie scene, Yep, if at all this is happening then dark tints should be banned!!!
Point four:Well, Car-o-bar,what a cool name for an uncool activity.
p.s-you seem to have something against SUVs, sorry just joking.

Last edited by GTO : 16th May 2011 at 15:31. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please
Old 16th May 2011, 11:07   #30
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Very useful thread...my plan is to break journey at Sikar for the night from Mumbai (around 1200kms) during my drive to Leh in August. I am given to understand that this could be the best route to get to Amritsar where I want to spend a couple of days before moving to Srinagar. My queries are as below

1) After branching off NH8 at Kishangarh, which is the best route to Sikar?

2) As per Deky, Sikar - fatehpur - Ratangarh (take a right) - Sardarsheher- Hardesar - Rawatsar - Abohar - Muktsar- Faridkot - Taran Taran- Amritsar is completely 4-laned and a fast run to Amritsar is possible. Could anyone pls confirm this as I got a bit confused with the all the replies and alternate routes suggested later?

3) Is it advisable to break journey at any other place than Sikar to continue my run to Amritsar the next day?

Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks