Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 11:14   #1
BHPian

Route Query - Allahabad to Nainital

Guidance needed for a short summer holiday to Nainital.
  • Start & End Point: Jamshedpur, Jharkahnd
  • Vehicle: Mahindrs Scorpio CRDE 2005
  • Pax: Self, wife and daughter.
  • Date of depart: 28th May 2011.
Proposed Outbound route
Jamshedpur > Varanasi > Allahabad > Kanpur > Lucknow bypass > Bareilly > Rampur > Rudrapur > Nainital

Itinerary:
Day 1
Jamshedpur > Varanasi on NH2. Night at Vindhyachal 60km away from Varanasi off the NH2 on SH5.

Day 2
7AM depart from Vindhyachal > As close to Nainital as possible

Previously I have done the stretch between Jamshedpur to Allahabad under 12 hours. Thus my queries at the moment relate to the section beyond Allahabad.
  1. I intent to stick to NH2 till Kanpur, take NH25 to Lucknow, take NH24 till Rampur and then follow the usual route to Nainital. I know there are alternative routes but they mostly seem SH.
  2. How is NH25 between Kanpur – Lucknow (via Unnao). I am reading mixed reports in the forum
  3. Coming from NH25, I can see a circular bypass around Lucknow which will take me neatly to NH24. Is it as good as it looks or there is a catch?
  4. How is NH24 between Lucknow and Rampur
  5. From Bareily a shorter route would be SH37 to Haldwani. Any opinion on this ?
I will have more questions once the broad route is finalised. Thanks so much in anticipation
Old 24th May 2011, 18:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Route Query - Allahabad to Nainital

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
  1. I intent to stick to NH2 till Kanpur, take NH25 to Lucknow, take NH24 till Rampur and then follow the usual route to Nainital. I know there are alternative routes but they mostly seem SH.
  2. How is NH25 between Kanpur – Lucknow (via Unnao). I am reading mixed reports in the forum
  3. Coming from NH25, I can see a circular bypass around Lucknow which will take me neatly to NH24. Is it as good as it looks or there is a catch?
  4. How is NH24 between Lucknow and Rampur
  5. From Bareily a shorter route would be SH37 to Haldwani. Any opinion on this ?
1. Instead of going to Kanpur on NH2 from Allahabad, you can take NH241B from Allahabad bypass on NH2. There is provision to get down from the elevated bypass where NH2 intersects NH24 1B (Allahabad-Lucknow direct road). It'll be shorter.

2. NH25 is good now, except one incomplete railway overbridge at Unnao. But, in evening lots of trucks full of red sand and stones coming from Bundelkhand region make drive slower, no jams though.

3. There are 2 ways to avoid major portion of the city at Lucknow to reach NH24 from NH25. I can guide about these, shall write in detail tomorrow, I'll also pm you my number.

4. Yes, from Bareilly, you needn't go to Rampur on crowed NH24, that route to Haldwani via Baheri, Kichha, Lalkuan would be better and more direct.
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 21:10   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the fantastic guidance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
1. Instead of going to Kanpur on NH2 from Allahabad, you can take NH241B from Allahabad bypass on NH2. There is provision to get down from the elevated bypass where NH2 intersects NH24 1B (Allahabad-Lucknow direct road). It'll be shorter.
NH24B from Allahabad Bypass to Lucknow via Raibareilly looks nice. How is the road condition and general environment en route from a safety POV?

Quote:
4. Yes, from Bareilly, you needn't go to Rampur on crowed NH24, that route to Haldwani via Baheri, Kichha, Lalkuan would be better and more direct.
Again, how is the road condition ? Starting from Vindhyachal earlier in day, I must be passing this stretch late evening. Is it safe in a general way?

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to your guidance on Lucknow bypass, and to be able to contact you if needed. My family and I appreciate the gesture.
Old 24th May 2011, 22:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover
Again, how is the road condition ? Starting from Vindhyachal earlier in day, I must be passing this stretch late evening. Is it safe in a general way?
Yes this will be OK but you can stay in Bareilly and start in Morning towards Naintital - don't even think of going to rampur - not only it will be longer but the Road is mess..
Old 28th May 2011, 00:00   #5
BHPian

Thanks all for the advices. I am leaving early tomorrow and would be posting route updated wherever possible. Thanks again.
Old 28th May 2011, 11:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the fantastic guidance.

NH24B from Allahabad Bypass to Lucknow via Raibareilly looks nice. How is the road condition and general environment en route from a safety POV?

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to your guidance on Lucknow bypass, and to be able to contact you if needed. My family and I appreciate the gesture.
Sorry for delay in responding. I have also mailed you my number. Pl call anytime. Interestingly, my office and house both are almost on the road from where you'll pass in Lucknow. No matter whether you come from Allahabad or Kanpur. We are extremely close to both, that too at the start of the main city!! And its from my place that you'll take diversion to avoid major crowed areas of the city.

How to cross Lucknow to get onto NH24! It'll be easy to explain on phone.

NH24B Allahabd - Lucknow is in excellent condition but traffic, specially cars and local traffic like cycles, 2-3 wheelers, etc, is high. In scorpio you can maintain 90kmph easily. I'll advise to take this route from Allahabad and avoid going to Kanpur as Ganga bridge at Kanpur is again reported to be facing jam like situation due to closing of old bridge for repair.

No safety issues for late evening/night drive past Allahabad towards Lucknow-Bareilly.

As Turbanator says, pl see how far you can cover with family on day 2 starting from Vindhyachal/ Varanasi?

Allahabad-Lucknow will take 4.5 hrs, 1 hr crossing Lucknow, Lucknow - Bareilly (250 kms) is very tricky! Its ok till Shahajahanpur, but, last 75 kms past Shahajahanpur have potential problem spots: one level crossing and a narrow small old bridge are close-by. At times both of these combine to create a jam. We have traveled Lko-Bareilly 4 - 7.5 hrs. Normally it'll take 5-5.5 hrs. Crossing Bareilly 45 min. Bareilly - Nainital via Haldwani approx 4.5- 5 hrs.

Check your e-mail for my number.

Happy journey!
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for delay in responding. I have also mailed you my number. Pl call anytime. Interestingly, my office and house both are almost on the road from where you'll pass in Lucknow. No matter whether you come from Allahabad or Kanpur. We are extremely close to both, that too at the start of the main city!! And its from my place that you'll take diversion to avoid major crowed areas of the city.!
Thanks a lot !

I just accessed email and saw your advice and phone number. I reached Delhi last night about 12pm from Nainital.

I took the Allahabad Bypass - Luk via Raibarelly road. The conditions and timing were exactly as you mentioned. Crossing LUK was a little tricky in absesnce of clear cut markings but we managed and just needed to ask direction twice. Once at the Mohanlal chowk (take the road along the elevated bypass to merge later) and once at the NH25 junction where the policeman was most helpful. We stayed the night at Bareilly and continued to Nainital via Kiccha next morning.

We stayed at a beautiful cottage at Bhowali near Nainital and made daylong excursions to places like Ranikhet. I really wanted to visit Mukteshwar but heavy rains put paid to that plan.

Till now we have traveled about 1900 Km from home. We have mostly encountered good roads but the NH2 is showing its age now. Needs major resurfacing between Varanasi – Allahabad Bypass. Also, crossing Rampur enroute Delhi was a nightmare. We were struck at 2 blockades and wasted about 2 hours. We have noted down detailed logs and once back home will post the details.

Tomorrow we depart Delhi for Agra. BTW is the Yamuna Expressway preferable for Agra if you are coming from North Delhi Shalimar Bagh?
Thanks again to you and Turbanator-ji for the most useful advices.
Old 21st August 2011, 12:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot !

Till now we have traveled about 1900 Km from home. We have mostly encountered good roads but the NH2 is showing its age now. Needs major resurfacing between Varanasi – Allahabad Bypass. Also, crossing Rampur enroute Delhi was a nightmare. We were struck at 2 blockades and wasted about 2 hours. We have noted down detailed logs and once back home will post the details.
I intend to drive from Kolkata to Nainital in late September. The detailed logs would be most helpful.

How long does it take from Allahabad bypass to Lucknow in the morning on NH24B?

How are the road/traffic conditions between Sitapur and Bareilly? I understand that this section is being 4 laned.
Old 4th September 2011, 19:55   #9
BHPian

Hi

Sorry for responding so late. I hope this is still is helpful. Briefly our trip-meter reading along with approx timings

Enter Allahabad Bypass
710km at 11.45am.

Exit to Lucknow
770km at 12.10pm

Raibareilly
871km at 02.00pm

Lucknow (Kanpur-Hardoi Link Road to Sitapur Highway)
960km at 03.40

Food Break at Sitapur Highway (NH24)
985km at 30 min

Bypass for Sitapur
1057km at 5.45pm

Bypaas for Shahjahanpur
1121km at 7.00pm

Bareilly
1236km at 8.40pm
(check into Hotel Pancham Continental, Civil Lines – Rs.2200 incl tax/double occupancy/breakfast/3 stars)

We could have driven till Haldwani but in retrospect it was a wise decision to halt for the night at Bareilly.

Notes:
  • You can maintain a steady 140km/h at Allahabad Bypass
  • Exit to LUK is very clearly marked. But once you get down the Bypass ask for direction for proper heading towards Raibareilly.
  • Proper eating and RR facilities are scarce between between the towns. The only half decent place at lunch time we could see was at Unchahar (on the left side). So plan accordingly.
  • Varanasi to Nainital is certainly doable in a single day with an early start, but the stretch between Shahjahanpur – Bareilly – Kiccha will test your patience and nerves.
  • Roads were ranged from excellent to avarage. No potholes or such though, This was pre-monsoon.
  • Law and order on road seemed ok. We came across regular police patrolling jeeps and police picket every few km.
Our actual timings and experiences tallied very closely what LongDrive lover-ji has mentioned. Bypassing LUK wasn't as formidable as it seemed though and we managed it under 40min.

Its a good drive and you shall enjoy the mixed fare on offer. All the best !
Old 4th September 2011, 20:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Sorry for responding so late. I hope this is still is helpful. Briefly our trip-meter reading along with approx timings

Enter Allahabad Bypass
710km at 11.45am.

Exit to Lucknow
770km at 12.10pm
A minor correction. We entered the bypass at about 11.30am. The mentioned timing was taken from what seemed an u/c toll plaza or road barrier well into the bypass. Nevertheless, this will be your fastest stretch during the entire journey.
Old 6th November 2012, 23:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
[/list]1. Instead of going to Kanpur on NH2 from Allahabad, you can take NH241B from Allahabad bypass on NH2. There is provision to get down from the elevated bypass where NH2 intersects NH24 1B (Allahabad-Lucknow direct road). It'll be shorter.

2. NH25 is good now, except one incomplete railway overbridge at Unnao. But, in evening lots of trucks full of red sand and stones coming from Bundelkhand region make drive slower, no jams though.

3. There are 2 ways to avoid major portion of the city at Lucknow to reach NH24 from NH25. I can guide about these, shall write in detail tomorrow, I'll also pm you my number.

Hi, am updating an old thread. Would you be able to help me with some idea about how to drive from Varanasi to Nainital via Lucknow. Am driving in to Varanasi from Mumbai on November 10 and plan to leave for Lucknow on the 12th. Stay the night there and then drive to Nainital the next day.

Would be very grateful for some some help on route planning.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:04   #12
BHPian

Update regarding road condition

Just finished a road trip to Nainital from Kanpur. Here is the update regarding road condition.

Kanpur - Lucknow : 4 lane Excellent road
Lucknow - Sitapur : 4 lane excellent road
Sitapur - Shahjahanpur - 2 lane , 4 laning in progress - motorable road but ridden with diversions and haphazard traffic
Shahjahanpur-Bareilly - 2 lane , 4 laning in progress - motorable road but ridden with diversions and haphazard traffic
Bareilly-Lalkuan - Bad road, gradually disappears to a state where there is no road for 15 odd kms. Road is being widened and trees are being mercilessly felled. The fallen trees block the roads for hours till they are axed ruthlessly.
Lalkuan-Kathgoadam - very nice 2 lane road but heavy traffic
Kathgoadam - Nainital-Raniket-almora - very nice 2 lane hill road with very scenic views

Last edited by punkuz : 17th April 2013 at 09:06. Reason: corrected a typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks