Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you suggest?
Take the Safari, do a 8000km BLR-LEH-BLR trip with the usual places around. 16 34.04%
Do what my heart tells me, ride it out! Ship the bike to Delhi and do the ride with the wife and the baby. 0 0%
Ship the bike to Delhi. I ride to Leh and they join me there directly. We ride around places and then ride back to Delhi. 6 12.77%
Sit around and keep reading the T'logs instead of thinking of more crazy things 25 53.19%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 07:10   #31
BHPian

Re: Ladakh Advice: How about a road trip with a 20 month old kid?

Strict NO to you, Amol.

I was driving on a one week trip to Uttaranchal in last week of December, 2010 in a Wagon R.

Both the boys(5 and 6 yrs) had trouble once we were higher up in Chaukori. I was feeling guilty of bringing the boys to such a place for my pleasure.
Old 14th June 2011, 10:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
H&A, this is not going to be our first trip for me to Leh. My wife and I have so things should be easy I guess.

You had it all figured out.

I wish you and your family a safe and wonderful journey.

KD
Old 14th June 2011, 10:24   #33
BHPian

I voted for the 4th option, but better still, Don't even read these T-log's. These write-ups will only inspire you more to go and take risk.

If you really must must go.... take your car!
Old 1st July 2011, 15:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

This is from a medical journal forwarded to us by my daughters pediatrician.

The most common form of high altitude illness is AMS; this disorder usually is mild and can be prevented or mitigated with slow ascent, hydration, rest, and the early recognition of symptoms. Children who become unwell above 8200 feet (2500 m) should begin immediate descent. Children younger than two years should sleep no higher than 6560 feet (2000 m) and children between two and 10 years should sleep no higher than 9840 (3000 m).

Children should ascend to high altitudes very slowly and only if rapid descent is possible in the event of problems. Children have ascended safely as far as 15,000 to 18,000 feet (4570 to 5500 meters), but information regarding higher altitudes is lacking. If the child has had a recent upper respiratory infection, lower respiratory infection, or otitis media, extra caution should be exercised during the ascent, or ascent should be avoided altogether.

We are travelling tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
We are travelling tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed.
Be safe and godspeed!

As far as my story is concerned, it is one of those which have a sad ending! Work takes over passion and the time-off isn't working out due to issues at office.

The plan is now officially called off for this year and will be relaunched in 2012. Hopefully the world wont end by then atleast!

Thank you to all those who gave their opinions, doesn't matter if you were for or against, I know you all wished well!

MODS, please close this thread for now and may be I'll want to revive it again next year!

Thanks - Amol
Old 3rd July 2011, 01:04   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Be safe and godspeed!

The plan is now officially called off for this year and will be relaunched in 2012. Hopefully the world wont end by then atleast!

Thanks - Amol

Ofcourse the world wont end. But you would have a better time carrying your world around next year or later
Old 11th September 2012, 12:49   #37
BHPian

Finally Pozu Goes to Ladakh in 2012

I had to call off the trip last year, but we did manage to have a wonderful time drving up from Bangalore to Ladakh and back with my daughter who's a little over 2.5yrs now.

Overall, I can confidently conclude that all my doubts about traveling with little kids were put to rest because she enjoyed the entire trip thoroughly with us.

The travelogue for our trips can be found here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...himalayas.html

Mods, you can lock down this thread and let it rest in peace!
amolpol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 12:24   #38
BHPian

What are the experts call on taking a 14 month old to moderate heights (7000-8000 ft) in Sikkim during April ? Also, what will be the effect of additional 100-110 kg weight (if I take the missus and daughter + child seat + luggage) on the car's(Figo 1.4) performance on inclines and hairpins vis-a-vis just the me and a shotgun?
Old 28th October 2016, 19:39   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
What are the experts call on taking a 14 month old to moderate heights (7000-8000 ft) in Sikkim during April ? Also, what will be the effect of additional 100-110 kg weight (if I take the missus and daughter + child seat + luggage) on the car's(Figo 1.4) performance on inclines and hairpins vis-a-vis just the me and a shotgun?

As long as you're confident about whether or not your kiddo will take the journey in his/her stride, you should be okay. Keep a fallback plan ready for contingency and don't hesitate to use it when needed.

On the extra weight, i don't think you should be concerned. The cars are designed for 4 people and not just the driver.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks