Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2015, 08:53   #136
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Where do you intend to stay in Wayanad. Is it Kalpetta,Vythiri,Lakdi,Ambalavayal etc.... I stayed in Hotel Haritagiri in Kalpetta when i visited Wayanad.
Thank you Binand and Suresh. We will be staying at "the woods resorts" on Pulpally-Sulthan bathery highway.
This is around 15km from Sulthan bathery town.

-UB
Old 13th May 2015, 10:05   #137
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Thank you Binand and Suresh. We will be staying at "the woods resorts" on Pulpally-Sulthan bathery highway.
Nanjangud-Gundlupet road is being widened so it will be a pain. Also Mysore Road with its numerous speed bumps and heavy traffic is best avoided.
One option is to take Kanakapura-Malavalli-Talakad-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet (turn left and merge onto Nanjangud-Gundlupet road here)-Turn right towards the forest and proceed to Sulthan Bathery.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 10:15   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pulpally is approximately equidistant from both Mananthavady and Bathery. Choose the SH 33 route for peace of mind.

Edit: Your resort seems to be halfway between Pulpally and Bathery, though. Even then, I think the extra distance you need to drive via SH 33 is not more than 20 km - well worth it in a journey of 300+ km.

Last edited by binand : 13th May 2015 at 10:25.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 08:33   #139
BHPian

We are back to Bangalore.
The route we took is Banaglore>Kanakapura>Malavalli>Talakadu>Chamarajan agara>Gundlupet>sulthan Bathery.
The Road was quite good and no pain to drive.

Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery stretch had some on and of construction work but without any traffic, so no issues.

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 18:33   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery stretch had some on and of construction work but without any traffic, so no issues.

-UB
How bad is this UB? Is the road spread out with loose stones? Is it good enough for non-suv owners? I am concerned since mine is a black Polo and each scratch shows. Ah the plight of owning a black car! :banghead:
Old 25th May 2015, 19:42   #141
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Krish View Post
How bad is this UB? Is the road spread out with loose stones? Is it good enough for non-suv owners? I am concerned since mine is a black Polo and each scratch shows. Ah the plight of owning a black car! :banghead:
I don't think this should be a concern since this is not the kind of road widening work in progress like in the Nanjanagud-Gundlupet stretch.
So better to avoid Nanjanagud and take the route via Kanakapura and Talakad like UB. This way you give a miss to Mysore as well!

Last edited by NPV : 25th May 2015 at 19:44.
Old 29th May 2015, 15:59   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I don't think this should be a concern since this is not the kind of road widening work in progress like in the Nanjanagud-Gundlupet stretch.
So better to avoid Nanjanagud and take the route via Kanakapura and Talakad like UB. This way you give a miss to Mysore as well!
Had to quote the whole thing since I wanted to thank you for this didn't get an opportunity to log on to the computer to thank you and UB. Will do soon. I took the same route. Dont regret it. The only stupid thing I did is to follow GMaps blindly. My advice to all is to avoid sharp deviations from the NH / SH since all those cut roads are really really bad stretches.
Old 4th June 2015, 14:56   #143
BHPian

Guys, I plan to travel to Wayanad in a two weeks. Since the road goes through forests, I was wondering if any precautions are required to handle incidents related to wildlife. For instance, how do you handle wild elephants on the road, what if they charge? I was searching for some forest dept. advisory related to this but couldn't find anything worthy. Any thoughts?
Old 4th June 2015, 15:21   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpacman View Post
Guys, I plan to travel to Wayanad in a two weeks. Since the road goes through forests, I was wondering if any precautions are required to handle incidents related to wildlife. For instance, how do you handle wild elephants on the road, what if they charge? I was searching for some forest dept. advisory related to this but couldn't find anything worthy. Any thoughts?
Do not use horn while going through forest route
You will have speed breakers almost every 300-400 m. While taking snaps of any wildlife you spot especially elephants, never switch off the engine.
In case you a sight an elephant ahead of you, stop the vehicle (not the engine). Avoid drastic body movements and remain seated in the car.
God forbid if an elephant ventures in your driving path. Remember the forest gates will be closed from 9 PM to 6 AM. So plan accordingly.

Wish you safe journey.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 15:49   #145
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since the road goes through forests, I was wondering if any precautions are required to handle incidents related to wildlife.
These are some basic things you need to keep in mind:
-Keep to the posted speed limits
-if you roll the windows down, turn the music off
-do not scream or make noise
-do not stop anywhere inside the forest to feed animals or take pictures or enjoy the sights of the forest - There is too much danger in these things

Also, plan your travel so that you have ample time to cross the forest during the time that the gates are open - 6am to 9pm for Gundlupet-Muthanga.
Drive safe!

Last edited by NPV : 4th June 2015 at 15:51.
Old 4th June 2015, 17:37   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I plan to travel to Wayanad in a two weeks. Since the road goes through forests, I was wondering if any precautions are required to handle incidents related to wildlife. For instance, how do you handle wild elephants on the road, what if they charge?
Adding to what others have posted :

Since you're not used to driving on forest roads, I'd strongly suggest that you avoid driving after dusk. I've found driving in the forest during the period between 7PM to 9PM to be quite strenuous, mostly because the trucks that come opposite you rarely dim their lights and so your visibility is near zero. Since wildlife activity around the roads is also higher during this period, you need to be extra careful - I normally drop my speed down to almost zero in these instances because one never knows what's on your side of the road in that invisible zone and you don't want to surprise (or be surprised by) a big animal.

During daytime it is generally quite safe - you hardly ever find animals on the road, they generally try to avoid you. If you're lucky you might spot a few near the road - but they will not bother you unless you try to irritate them.

In case you see an elephant crossing the road in front of you, stop the vehicle at a distance and wait for a little while and watch the point where the animal came from. Elephants normally move around in groups, so there's every likelihood of some more in the group suddenly emerging from the woods following the one that crossed and you don't want to block their way - animals have the right of way inside the forest. Pass only after you ensure that there are no more elephants following.

Last edited by kala : 4th June 2015 at 18:00.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 20:38   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Here's a glimpse of what to expect in the forest section.

And avoid the Nanjangud - Gundlupet stretch at all cost. I just took that route last weekend. This is what awaits you.

PADAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 21:57   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADAS View Post
And avoid the Nanjangud - Gundlupet stretch at all cost. I just took that route last weekend. This is what awaits you.
Is the entire stretch like this?
Old 4th June 2015, 22:02   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Is the entire stretch like this?
Almost. The tarring work is going on on some stretches, but even those sections have been made in to single lanes with major portion of the road blocked with barricades.
Old 5th June 2015, 10:10   #150
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I plan to travel to Wayanad in a two weeks.
Given that there is road widening on the Nanajangud-Gundlupet stretch, as @PADAS has said, try to avoid Nanajanagud-Gundlupet if possible, this will also mean you avoid Mysore Road SH17

As mentioned in earlier posts, this is a better route if you're heading towards Bathery/Kalpetta/Vythiri in Wayanad district:
Banaglore - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Talakadu - Chamarajanagara - Gundlupet - Sulthan Bathery
Only thing is food/break options are much lesser on this route. Nijaguna Residency is one option in Chamarajanagar.

Where are you planning your stay in Wayanad district ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks