Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 13:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Great update Kala. I am going to take the HD Kote - Nagarhole - Mananthavady route then. I had last vivited Kabini at the beginning of this year around march for the Tiger census and the road inside Nagarhole was being done up then.
The route I'm mentioning is not through Nagarahole. You need to take SH33 from Mysore towards Kabini, and proceed straight from Hand Post junction (You need to take a right to get to HD Kote town). After about 65 kms from Mysore (May be another 20 kms from Hand post), you will see an entrance to the Nagarahole WLS, but they are not allowing traffic through. So you'll be forced to take a left deviation, and after wandering around several villages you'll eventually join back SH-33 approx. 4 or 5 kms further down. (And you'd have driven about 10-11 kms through the deviation road). From then on it is straight SH33 to Bavali-Kaattikkulam-Mananthavadi.
Old 15th November 2010, 15:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The route I'm mentioning is not through Nagarahole. You need to take SH33 from Mysore towards Kabini, and proceed straight from Hand Post junction (You need to take a right to get to HD Kote town). After about 65 kms from Mysore (May be another 20 kms from Hand post), you will see an entrance to the Nagarahole WLS, but they are not allowing traffic through. So you'll be forced to take a left deviation, and after wandering around several villages you'll eventually join back SH-33 approx. 4 or 5 kms further down. (And you'd have driven about 10-11 kms through the deviation road). From then on it is straight SH33 to Bavali-Kaattikkulam-Mananthavadi.
Ah ok. so I dont need to take a right at hand-post signal which leads to Jungle Lodges in Kabini? I got confused as even the entrance to Nagarhole is closed from this entrance and you need to take a deviation to the left to join the Mananthavady road through some villages. The resorts (JLR, Cicada) are on this bad road stretch after the villages.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Ah ok. so I dont need to take a right at hand-post signal which leads to Jungle Lodges in Kabini? I got confused as even the entrance to Nagarhole is closed from this entrance and you need to take a deviation to the left to join the Mananthavady road through some villages. The resorts (JLR, Cicada) are on this bad road stretch after the villages.
The latter part of your description fits the bill exactly with the road that I have described. The deviation is the same as the roads to Cicada, JLR etc. But to reach there, you don't really need to touch HD Kote.

May be there is another connection to this same road that comes from HD Kote. So you might have taken a right at Hand Post, gone to HD Kote, and got back to the same road through that connection
Old 15th November 2010, 18:07   #19
BHPian

Thanks Kala. Noted. This time I will go straight instead of going through HD Kote. I have actually gone to Kabini twice and both times have taken the HD Kote route unneccessarily I guess!
Old 6th January 2011, 17:06   #20
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Mananthavady/ Talapoya (Wayanad)

We are planning a Bangalore - Wayanad trip on 14-15-16 Jan with a friend's family( a 6 yr old kid as well). What are teh various tourist attractions there and do they require booking in advance? I plan to leave early morning on Friday and reach by 1 or 2 pm.
Old 1st June 2011, 16:05   #21
BHPian

Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Hi bhpians

Need your suggestions on route to wayanad. We are attending a marriage in bangalore on july 9th, saturday and are planning a wayanad trip from there. We can start only by around 2PM from Bangalore (Jalahalli). Will be driving an Innova

1) Will we be able to cross the bandhipur checkpost before it closes at 6PM?.
2) If we wont be able to cross bandhipur, is there any alternate route to take to kalpetta?
3) Hows the nagarhole to tholpetty route? I know road is good from tholpetty to mananthavadi. Also how long will it take to reach kalpetta via nagarhole from bangalore

Also need suggestions on good VFM places/resorts to stay near kalpetta/tholpetty/mananthavady. Will be a group of 7 including ladies

Thanks in advance guys
Kiran
Old 1st June 2011, 16:12   #22
BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Wayanad route /places to stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Hi bhpians

Need your suggestions on route to wayanad. We are attending a marriage in bangalore on july 9th, saturday and are planning a wayanad trip from there. We can start only by around 2PM from Bangalore (Jalahalli). Will be driving an Innova

2) If we wont be able to cross bandhipur, is there any alternate route to take to kalpetta?
3) Hows the nagarhole to tholpetty route? I know road is good from tholpetty to mananthavadi. Also how long will it take to reach kalpetta via nagarhole from bangalore

Also need suggestions on good VFM places/resorts to stay near kalpetta/tholpetty/mananthavady. Will be a group of 7 including ladies

Thanks in advance guys
Kiran
Bandhipur checkpost closes at 9 PM. You can easily cross the entry gate by then. Once entered, you can exit in about half an hour or so.

Where are you headed to? Kalpetta or Mananthavadi?

Where do you really want to stay? And any preferences?
Old 1st June 2011, 16:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Please refer to my travelogues
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...pics-incl.html
Old 1st June 2011, 16:20   #24
Team-BHP Support

There are tons of places you can stay in at Kalpetta and Sultan Bathery. In fact, even Vythiri is an option.

One really good home-stay at Kalpetta :
Rainbow Residency 09844814171 (contact : Raymond)
Old 1st June 2011, 16:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:

The Bandipur checkpost closes at 9.00 pm, so you should not have any issues Even if you start of at 2.00 pm, it takes a max of 5 hours to reach the checkpost with sedate driving.

I heard from a friend who traveled recently that the road between Nagarhole and Kutta is pretty bad and is manageable after Kutta.
Old 1st June 2011, 16:34   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah.. Wayanad is my hometown. Let me know when you are here. .

The route thought Bangalore to Wayanad is excellent. Potholes only start after crossing Kerala border, and that too only till Bathery.

Regarding crossing the border, if you start at 2:00PM from Bangalore, you can easily cross it by ~6 or 6:30. In any case, the forest checkpost stays open till 9:00PM.
Old 1st June 2011, 17:09   #27
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi bhpians

Thanks in advance guys
Kiran
Route is simple (assuming you are not heading towards Manathavady)
Bangalore -> Mysore -> Nanjangud -> Gundlupet -> Sulthan Bathery -> Kalpetta

At Gundlupet you need to take a deviation to right side to proceed towards Kerala (if you go straight you will enter Bandipur)

Make sure you cross the forest check post on Karnataka side before 9 pm (most of the road through the forest is in Karnataka).

Once you cross into Kerala (their forest check post does not have the 9 pm closing time), the major towns in Wayanad district are Sulthan Batherya and Kalpetta.

Good places to stay:
Vythiri Resorts (there is also a Vythiri Village Resort but I have not been there). Vythiri is the last town before the ghat section begins (descent to go towards Kozhikode/Calicut).

If you're just looking for hotels, Woodlands in Kalpetta (on the highway itself) is good.

Hope this helps.
Old 1st June 2011, 17:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Bandhipur checkpost closes at 9 PM. You can easily cross the entry gate by then. Once entered, you can exit in about half an hour or so.
Where are you headed to? Kalpetta or Mananthavadi?
Where do you really want to stay? And any preferences?
We are heading to kochi on sunday evening. My preference is to stay at kalpetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Will surealy take a look. Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
There are tons of places you can stay in at Kalpetta and Sultan Bathery. In fact, even Vythiri is an option.
One really good home-stay at Kalpetta :
Rainbow Residency 09844814171 (contact : Raymond)
Will check this out, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
The Bandipur checkpost closes at 9.00 pm, so you should not have any issues Even if you start of at 2.00 pm, it takes a max of 5 hours to reach the checkpost with sedate driving.
I heard from a friend who traveled recently that the road between Nagarhole and Kutta is pretty bad and is manageable after Kutta.
So check post issue is solved. Hope Innova can easily manage the bad roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Ah.. Wayanad is my hometown. Let me know when you are here. .
The route thought Bangalore to Wayanad is excellent. Potholes only start after crossing Kerala border, and that too only till Bathery.
Regarding crossing the border, if you start at 2:00PM from Bangalore, you can easily cross it by ~6 or 6:30. In any case, the forest checkpost stays open till 9:00PM.
Thanks dhanush. Please PM me your number. Will contact you incase I need help
Old 1st June 2011, 17:30   #29
Team-BHP Support

Here is one in Bathery.

HOTEL ISSAC'S Regency | Hotels in wayanad, Resorts Wayanad, Honeymoon Tour Packages

I have not stayed, but had heard good responses.
Can any one also confirm?
Old 1st June 2011, 17:41   #30
BHPian

Also one more question guys. Which is the best route from blr to gundalpet?
bangalore-mysore-nanjangodu-gundalpet or bangalore-kanakapura-chamrajngar-gundalpet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks