Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2017, 13:04   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vint View Post
Last and most important - how is the rain situation in Wayanad/Vythiri area ?
To add to the locations mentioned by NPV as 'Near to Vythiri', would suggest you try visiting - Edakkal caves & Tribal museum at Ambalavayal. Both are in same route and can be done in half day (Edakkal ~ 3hours. Involves bit of climbing, may have to carry kids if they are small. Tribal museum ~ 1 hour)
Both places have sufficient parking, hence no worries on that part.

Other places (Banasura dam, Kuruva island) are all good. But involves bit of driving around. Hence I would suggest you to do that in another trip.

It was raining heavily in Vythiri area till last weekend, not sure of the conditions now.

Mobile network is not an issue.

If possible, try to start a bit early ~ 05:00 AM at NICE road junction. This will guarantee a peaceful drive.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 14:58   #422
BHPian

Thanks NPV & suhas. I see that banasura dam is just around 30 kms from where the resort I'm planning to stay at Vythiri. Maybe, I can bundle this in on the way back ?
Old 21st September 2017, 13:01   #423
BHPian

Has anybody visited any resorts near and around Kabini reservoir this week? There have been reports of possible flooding due to the reservoir being full and I have a planned visit during next week, hence asking if anybody knows the conditions there. thanks!
Old 21st September 2017, 13:58   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Has anybody visited any resorts near and around Kabini reservoir this week?
+1 Mohan, and thank you for posting this here.

I have planned a JLR stay this weekend and hoping there are no hiccups. Hoping anybody with credible information can share some updates on the situation.
Old 21st September 2017, 18:18   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vint View Post
I see that banasura dam is just around 30 kms from where the resort I'm planning to stay at Vythiri.
I am not sure how free is your itenary while in Vythiri. However, Banasura dam (Also, Pookodu lake & ghat view point/ churam view point) is near to your resort. Banasura dam will take around an hour to reach from resort.

From there you can proceed to Mananthavady - Kuruva Island and head back to Mysore via SH 33 (road closes at 06:PM at forest section). That said, I personally feel apart from a speed boat ride, there is nothing much to see at Banasura dam. Hence if not that keen you can give that a miss, or just visit Kuruva island on way back.

Again, due to rains, I am not sure how much of the island is not submerged or if the rafts which are used to transport tourists are operating now. You may check with resort guys regarding this, they may be able to give a better idea.

Another location near to your resort is Soochipara water falls. For commute inside Wayanad, consider that you will be able to cover only 30 Kms per hour for all your planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
There have been reports of possible flooding due to the reservoir being full and I have a planned visit during next week, hence asking if anybody knows the conditions there. thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I have planned a JLR stay this weekend and hoping there are no hiccups. Hoping anybody with credible information can share some updates on the situation.
Though I do not have upto date information on the same, I don't think any resort was next to reservoir to cause flooding. Two large resorts on river banks, JLR and Orange County, both are on higher grounds. You may face hiccups during your safari due to water-logging may be.
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 23:41   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Did the trip on Saturday/Sunday. SH33 is in great shape, great scenery and smooth surface. Not too many speed breakers. Even the diversion around Nagarhole is great. In the forest itself there are too many speed breakers and rumble strips.
The Mysore ring road is also great. Then the road through Bannur is bad for about a km as you have said. No work is going on there. But rest of the road was very good, right upto Bangalore
From Kanakapura on our return, we encountered heavy oncoming traffic, little did we know about the deluge which had caused blockage of Mysore road.
On entering Kerala the road conditions deteriorate considerably, but we did not do much kms inside Kerala as our homestay was very close to the border.
I am planning to go to Vythiri on 2nd and thinking to take the same route. Any specific advice on the route condition and general info and safety precautions around Nagarhole would be helpful. We are a family with 2 kids. We plan to start by 5:30 / 6:00 AM from Bangalore.
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:42   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
I am planning to go to Vythiri on 2nd and thinking to take the same route. Any specific advice on the route condition and general info and safety precautions around Nagarhole would be helpful. We are a family with 2 kids. We plan to start by 5:30 / 6:00 AM from Bangalore.
Sorry for the late reply. Just be careful in the wildlife sanctuary, don't get out of your vehicle and obey the cautions displayed.
Old 2nd October 2017, 21:29   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Hence if not that keen you can give that a miss, or just visit Kuruva island on way back.

Again, due to rains, I am not sure how much of the island is not submerged or if the rafts which are used to transport tourists are operating now.
Kuruva island is currently closed. Went there last week, and found it closed. A bystander told that it is generally closed from June to November every year.
motorsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 15:28   #429
BHPian

Planning a trip to Wayanad during 18th Nov weekend. As the flights from Hyderabad to Calicut taking long time, decided to reach Bang by early hours of Sat morning & drive till our resort. Few questions

--Any self drive cars available near airport terminal ( I know Zoom can get a car, but find it expensive in bangalore compared to Myles )

-- How long will it take to reach Wayanad from Bangalore considering the present road conditions if I start at say 7 in the mor on a sat

--Any other options available from bang to reach wayanad if not self drive & how much would it cost me compared to driving.

Any inputs are valuable, as based on this will make my bookings
Old 30th October 2017, 16:00   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkikewl View Post
Planning a trip to Wayanad during 18th Nov weekend. As the flights from Hyderabad to Calicut taking long time, decided to reach Bang by early hours of Sat morning & drive till our resort. Few questions

--Any self drive cars available near airport terminal ( I know Zoom can get a car, but find it expensive in bangalore compared to Myles )

-- How long will it take to reach Wayanad from Bangalore considering the present road conditions if I start at say 7 in the mor on a sat

--Any other options available from bang to reach wayanad if not self drive & how much would it cost me compared to driving.

Any inputs are valuable, as based on this will make my bookings
Where in Wayanad?

I think both Zoomcars and Myles allow you to pick up and drop off cars at Bangalore airport.

As far as distance/time goes - I guess the route would be KIAL-Hebbal-ORR-Yeshwantpur-Nelamangala-NICE Road-Mysore Road-Mysore and onwards to Wayanad. I'd say 2 hours from the time you start at the airport to Mysore Road, 2 hours to MRR, 1.5 hours to enter Kerala and then the time inside Kerala to get to your destination, and break times.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 14:34   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Where in Wayanad?

I think both Zoomcars and Myles allow you to pick up and drop off cars at Bangalore airport.

As far as distance/time goes - I guess the route would be KIAL-Hebbal-ORR-Yeshwantpur-Nelamangala-NICE Road-Mysore Road-Mysore and onwards to Wayanad. I'd say 2 hours from the time you start at the airport to Mysore Road, 2 hours to MRR, 1.5 hours to enter Kerala and then the time inside Kerala to get to your destination, and break times.
I have booked Zoom car & picking it up in Airport tiself. My stay in Wayanad is in Vythri resorts. Will be starting this sat early mor by 5:30 from airport. Would be helpful if anyone can pitch in details about reliable petrol bunks, eateries on the way & also details about permit while entering Kerala
Old 15th November 2017, 16:10   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have booked Zoom car & picking it up in Airport tiself. My stay in Wayanad is in Vythri resorts. Will be starting this sat early mor by 5:30 from airport. Would be helpful if anyone can pitch in details about reliable petrol bunks, eateries on the way & also details about permit while entering Kerala
1. In my own car a full tank in Bangalore is good enough for a drive till Calicut and about one-third way back. With that kind of range, you just need one reliable pump on the way, which could be this one near Kalpetta: https://goo.gl/maps/6C6bb3N6sHF2 (it is about 10 km before Vythiri). They accept cards.

2. Bangalore-Mysore road is a veritable food court. No worries there. Options are limited beyond Mysore till you enter Kerala and reach the first major town, Sulthan Bathery.

3. Not sure about the permit either. Check with Zoomcar. Found this page on their website: https://www.zoomcar.com/outstation. The RTO checkpost is near the end of the forest on Kerala side, at Muthanga.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 12:29   #433
BHPian

Due to some emergency, our trip to Wayanad was cancelled..flight & car bookings were cancelled & we are getting some refund. However, our resort booking in wayanad ( Vythri Resort) is at full loss, spoke to the manager & he is not even considering medical reason to process for a refund. However, he informed that we can transfer the booking to anyone. So anyone who is driving to Wayanad this weekend ( 18th Nov ) & looking for accommodation, get in touch with me. My booking if from Nov 18 to Nov 21.
Old 17th November 2017, 17:54   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, our resort booking in wayanad ( Vythri Resort) is at full loss, spoke to the manager & he is not even considering medical reason to process for a refund. However, he informed that we can transfer the booking to anyone.
Some people allow to hold the bookings open for any other date. Check with the manager whether you can make the trip for some other date
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 16:27   #435
BHPian

I did speak with the manager & the MD & they are hesitant to hold back the booking for some another day. I tried my best to convince them but as per their policy any booking below 15 days are not entitled for a refund

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks