Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2018, 23:46   #496
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Hi,

We had planned a trip to waynad for this weekend. Destination being silverwood resort. This was planned long back and now for past few days I have been hearing news about heavy rains and flash floods.

Is it safe to travel? Or should we be avoiding the trip?
Old 18th July 2018, 12:10   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
We had planned a trip to waynad for this weekend. Destination being silverwood resort. ?
Not sure of the status of Mananthavady route, atleast haven't heard of any distruptions. There are no issues on Sultan Bathery - Kalpetta route, so no need to worry as such.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 23:10   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this pic of road caving in on Kalpetta byepass yesterday.

Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation-img20180723wa0221.jpg

News link in Malayalam.
mpksuhas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 17:07   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Came across this pic of road caving in on Kalpetta byepass yesterday.

Attachment 1783378

News link in Malayalam.
Bravehearts all of them!If the road has caved in where it has,it can cave in next to that also,yet people are standing around admiring it
Old 24th July 2018, 17:32   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Bravehearts all of them!If the road has caved in where it has,it can cave in next to that also,yet people are standing around admiring it
That includes the local MLA Mr. C. K. Saseendran (man in white dhoti).
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 10:59   #501
BHPian

Hey folks!

Will be going to Virajpet via Madikeri (just for the twisty drive before Madikeri). After 2 nights in Virajpet I will be travelling to Wayanad on the 2nd of November.

Route finalized is Club Mahindra Virajpet - Gonikoppal - Ponnampet - Kutta - Tholpetty - Kattikkulam - Nadavayal - Sultan Bathery - Sterling Wayanad.

Plan to leave Virajpet by 10 AM so that I can reach Sultan Bathery for lunch and then proceed to the resort. Has anyone traveled on this route recently after the floods? We are 2 people travelling in an EcoSport.

I know we can expect some wildlife but what about the road conditions? Any alternatives if this one isn't good?

Last edited by 97_Octane : 16th October 2018 at 11:27.
Old 16th October 2018, 21:27   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Hey folks!
Route finalized is Club Mahindra Virajpet - Gonikoppal - Ponnampet - Kutta - Tholpetty - Kattikkulam - Nadavayal - Sultan Bathery - Sterling Wayanad.

but what about the road conditions? Any alternatives if this one isn't good?
Heard from few people who traveled in bus towards Kannur (which are taking this route now due to restriction on Makutta ghats) that the road is very bumpy and potholed, from Gonikoppal upto Kutta.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 12:49   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Heard from few people who traveled in bus towards Kannur (which are taking this route now due to restriction on Makutta ghats) that the road is very bumpy and potholed, from Gonikoppal upto Kutta.
Thanks!

Is there any alternate route which can bypass the stretch you mentioned? I have been on Karnataka - Kerala border multiple times and found the road conditions to be good. Never traveled on the stretch mentioned above.
Old 17th October 2018, 13:22   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Thanks!

Is there any alternate route which can bypass the stretch you mentioned? I have been on Karnataka - Kerala border multiple times and found the road conditions to be good. Never traveled on the stretch mentioned above.
Any other route would be significantly longer. So suggest you stick to the same route. Budget a bit more time for the bad stretch, drive carefully.
It is definitely not non-motorable, at least that I can assure you.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 08:50   #505

Friends , I need some help on travel routes for Bangalore to Wayanad

1. I am travelling from Hyderabad Bangalore on 22nd December morning and will be staying at Electronic city on 22nd night.
2. 23rd December - starting from electronic city in the morning for Bandipur and staying at Bandipur on 23rd and 24th night.
3. Leaving Bandipur on 25th morning and staying Wayanad at Vythri Village on 25th and 26th night. Then staying at Silver woods resort on 27th night.
4. Leaving for Bangalore on 28th night again to stay at electronic city on 28th night.
5. Leaving for Hyderabad on 29th morning.

Could you please suggest the best travel routes keeping the above in mind for - A) Bangalore to Bandipur B) Bandipur to Wayanad C) Wayanad to Bangalore (Return Journey)

I am travelling to this route for the first time and not very familiar with that part of the world.

Will be travelling with my wife and 2 daughters (9 and 11 year old ) in my XUV500.

Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 09:41   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospass View Post
Could you please suggest the best travel routes keeping the above in mind for - A) Bangalore to Bandipur B) Bandipur to Wayanad C) Wayanad to Bangalore (Return Journey)
Bangalore (E-City) to Bandipur: the route is to take NICE Road from E-City (procedure changes based on where you are in E-City), take the Mysore Road exit, go all the way till Mysore outskirts (junction with Mysore Ring Road - MRR, at Columbia Asia Hospital. Almost exactly 116 km after you exit the NICE Road). Join MRR by turning left. Take the exit onto NH 766 (old NH 212) - marked by a road sign mentioning distances to Calicut, Ooty, Coimbatore etc. Go along this route crossing Nanjangud & Gundlupet towns. At the far end of Gundlupet NH 766 takes a right turn towards Calicut while NH 67 breaks off it straight ahead towards Ooty. Bandipur and the resorts are about 30 km further ahead on NH 67. I think its new number is 181.

Bandipur to Wayanad (Vythiri): Return along this route to Gundlupet and turn left to NH 766 towards Calicut. Keep going straight and cross Sulthan Bathery, Meenangadi and Kalpetta towns (Kalpetta has a bypass, don't miss it. Bathery has a confusing one-way system - be aware). Vythiri is about 12 km beyond Kalpetta. Vythiri Village is just before you enter the town.

Vythiri to Bangalore: Return from Vythiri to Mysore along Nh 766. Take the MRR and exit at Columbia Asia signal towards Bangalore. Take NICE Ring Road towards Hosur Road. Exit towards Hosur, and beyond that it depends on exactly where you want to go in E-City.

23rd towards Mysore/Wayanad/Ooty would be horrible in terms of traffic I'd say. Start from Bangalore before 4 AM if possible.
Old 20th December 2018, 19:27   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Bangalore (E-City) to Bandipur: the route is to take NICE Road from E-City (procedure changes based on where you are in E-City).

Thank You Sir for your prompt and detailed response. Really feel fortunate to be part of this group.

I will be staying in Lemon Tree Hotel in E-city. Would that change any of the above route quoted by you?
Also could you be kind enough to suggest which route to take to reach Lemon Tree Hotel once I hit Bangalore city while coming from Hyderabad on this Saturday afternoon ?
Old 20th December 2018, 21:26   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be staying in Lemon Tree Hotel in E-city. Would that change any of the above route quoted by you?
No, nothing changes. Just that now we know you need to go to E-City Phase 1. But I assumed you have friends/family in E-City who you were planning to meet & stay with. I don't think taking a detour to E-City or even Bangalore just to stay in a hotel is a great idea. If you can still replan, you might want to consider driving Hyderabad-Mysore and giving Bangalore a miss. Stay overnight at Mysore.

Quote:
Also could you be kind enough to suggest which route to take to reach Lemon Tree Hotel once I hit Bangalore city while coming from Hyderabad on this Saturday afternoon ?
All routes are bad. :-) Depending on your time of arrival, shift roster of IT companies, phase of moon etc. you could take one of:
  • Hebbal interchange > turn left to ORR (marked Kolar/Hosur at Hebbal) > KR Pura > under the hanging bridge > along ORR till Silk Board > turn left to Hosur Road > BETL > take exit to E-City phase 1.
  • Hebbal interchange > straight into city > Anil Kumble circle > some combination of roads > Hosur Road > BETL etc.

(I'm not too certain how route 2 goes; relying on Google Maps is fine. Also the buzz here is that there is some maintenance work going on atop BETL which is causing traffic snarls).
Old 20th December 2018, 23:40   #509

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
No, nothing changes. Just that now we know you need to go to E-City Phase 1. But I assumed you have friends/family in E-City who you were planning to meet & stay with. I don't think taking a detour to E-City or even Bangalore just to stay in a hotel is a great idea. If you can still replan, you might want to consider driving Hyderabad-Mysore and giving Bangalore a miss. Stay overnight at Mysore.

Thanks again for sharing so much of insight. Well, my bad for not reaching out to this forum for advice earlier than today.The only reason for taking a halt at Bangalore was because I thought Hyderabad to Mysore would have been too much of a travel for 1 day (12-14 hours until Mysore as opposed to 8-9 hours up to e city). With kids , wanted to play safe .All this basis some random research via google maps (And I am realising that I might have miscalculated ).I can still cancel hotel until 2 pm IST tomorrow. Let me give a rethinking to this.

Besides, Is there any other area / hotel around Bangalore that can be considered (if not lemon tree e city) which will mean least amount of detour and at the same time not more 9-10 hours of travel in one day ?
Old 21st December 2018, 00:43   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Besides, Is there any other area / hotel around Bangalore that can be considered (if not lemon tree e city) which will mean least amount of detour and at the same time not more 9-10 hours of travel in one day ?
Look for hotels between Devanahalli and Hebbal---you can reach those easily within 7 hours from Hyderabad. And start very early next morning so that you can take the shortest route to Mysore through the central business district of Bangalore. If you delay, then traffic in CBD will tire you.

Most Viewed