Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2014, 14:33   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Mananthavady/ Talapoya (Wayanad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
1 year 9 months later, am looking for the latest update on route 1, i.e. , Mysore-HDKote (Handpost)-Bavali route (SH33).
There is recent update about this route on another thread - Link
Old 24th January 2014, 10:51   #92
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Had a super ride to Wayanad and back this last weekend.

Lovely roads all the way especially from Sultan Bathery to Kalpetta.

Have posted the ride details here.

Banasura Island Retreat is highly recommended.

Food is good and service is quick. Rooms are clean. Approach road to the resort (1-2km) is bad with full of rocks and stones. We had to crawl at a snail's pace but in the end the view from the cottage is excellent.

Very quiet place and relaxing to spend an evening here. Nothing much to do apart from going on a boat ride (which we skipped) in this area.
Old 27th March 2014, 17:59   #93
BHPian

Hi All,

I have planned to do trip to Wayanad next week end. Have booked my accommodation at Vythri Resorts. Can you suggest the best route from Bangalore to Vythri Resorts - Wayanad.
Old 27th March 2014, 18:11   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagaraj View Post
Hi All,

I have planned to do trip to Wayanad next week end. Have booked my accommodation at Vythri Resorts. Can you suggest the best route from Bangalore to Vythri Resorts - Wayanad.
If you want food breaks early then :
Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Vythri

Else if you want to bypass the Mysore road traffic:

Bangalore-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Vythri
Old 27th March 2014, 20:16   #95
BHPian

I am doing a trip to Waynad on Sat. Is this route quite good in terms of roads ?
Or would via Mysore be a better bet ?

Note we would be driving in 2 cars a Swift and an Aveo.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ba...d11.632313!3e0

Appreciate your comments.

We have bookings at http://www.marmaladesprings.com/

Thanks
Fillmore

Last edited by Fillmore : 27th March 2014 at 20:18.
Old 27th March 2014, 23:07   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I am doing a trip to Waynad on Sat. Is this route quite good in terms of roads ?
Or would via Mysore be a better bet ?

Note we would be driving in 2 cars a Swift and an Aveo.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ba...d11.632313!3e0
Yes - this route has good roads (except for a few short rough stretches between Chamarajnagar and Gundlupet) and the biggest plus is the sparse traffic that you'd encounter.

However, be forewarned that there are very few decent restaurants on this route, so you need to plan for your breakfast break close to Bangalore or wait till you reach Chamarajnagar or Gundlupet.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 11:30   #97
BHPian

Thank you for your comments. Since I am taking my kids along, we need to have Breakfast break and good Scenic route. Kanakapura or Mysore which route is better?
Old 28th March 2014, 11:34   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagaraj View Post
Thank you for your comments. Since I am taking my kids along, we need to have Breakfast break and good Scenic route. Kanakapura or Mysore which route is better?
Go for the kanakapura route. After crossing kollegal, you will encounter 3 villages where the road is so narrow that one vehicle can go at a time. Otherwise no issues.
As regards food options, you have Hotel Nijaguna Residency and Hotel Mayura (near KSRTC bus stand) both in chamarajanagar
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 04:19   #99
BHPian

I am driving to Wayanad on the weekend of 13,14,15 June. I would have 4 adults and a 2 yr old with me in the car. Which would be the best route?

I also need suggestions on a value for money home-stay/hotel/resort which is central to most of the touristy spots.

What will the weather be like in Wayanad in June?

MaSh
Old 5th June 2014, 08:11   #100
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
I am driving to Wayanad on the weekend of 13,14,15 June. I would have 4 adults and a 2 yr old with me in the car. Which would be the best route?

I also need suggestions on a value for money home-stay/hotel/resort which is central to most of the touristy spots.
Which part of Wayanad do you plan to visit ? Wayanad is a district with one side towards the NH212 near Sulthan Bathery, Kalpetta. Other side is towards Mananthavady and can be reached via another route from Mysore.

If you're not looking for resort accommodation, you can even stay at The Woodlands in Kalpetta, right on the NH 212 highway. From here you can visit the various places as day trips (Edakkal caves, Meenmutty & Soochipara falls, Pookot Lake & Chain Saw tree -both near Vythiri, Mananthavady, Kuruva Island, etc).

If going to Kalpetta as I mentioned above, you can take one of these:
1. Bangalore-Kanakapura-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta
2. Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta

I would recommend an early start and taking route #1, stop at Nijaguna Residency in Chamarajanagar for breakfast. If you start from Bangalore between 5 and 6 am you should be in Kalpetta by noon easily.

Last edited by NPV : 5th June 2014 at 08:23.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 09:08   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What will the weather be like in Wayanad in June?

MaSh
You can try HOTEL HARITAGIRI at Kalpetta town in Wayanad. The hotel ambience is very good. Tariff is also not too high.

Are you driving from Bangalore. If so, the best route is Via Kanakapura, Malavalli, Kollegal, Chamarajanagar, Gundlupet, Sulthan Bathery.

The places worth visiting would be Kuruvadweep, Banasura sagar dam, Pookote lake, lakkidi view point on DAY 1 and Edakkal caves, Soochipara falls on DAY 2.

If time permits try to visit kozhikode which is appox 72 kms from lakkidi view point.

Last edited by suresh_gs : 5th June 2014 at 09:11.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 10:12   #102
Senior - BHPian

Stay in Good Homestays than typical hotels. This is a nice place. Check the link below.
http://kudajadridrizzle.com/
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 02:27   #103
BHPian

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I have booked Green Mount Residency which is a homestay in Kalpetta. A friend of mine who stayed here a couple of months ago was happy with it. So booked it.

Now the route. The one via Chamarajanagar seems to be the recommended route. However an early start is not on cards. We would be starting around 10am. Is this route still the one to take? We are going to be there for 3 days. Fri, sat and Sunday. Friday drive from Bangalore. Saturday roam around. Sunday return. How many attractions can I cover in 1 day?

PS: sorry did not quote the above 3 posts as it was becoming too long to reply from a mobile.

MaSh

Last edited by mashmash : 8th June 2014 at 02:30.
Old 8th June 2014, 09:51   #104
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now the route. The one via Chamarajanagar seems to be the recommended route. However an early start is not on cards. We would be starting around 10am. Is this route still the one to take? We are going to be there for 3 days. Fri, sat and Sunday. Friday drive from Bangalore. Saturday roam around. Sunday return. How many attractions can I cover in 1 day?
Weekday 10 am start, I'd personally still prefer Chamarajanagar route.
Also, where in Bangalore do you stay ?
As for the places to see:
-Try to visit Edakkal caves on Day 1 on the way to Kalpetta. You can have lunch at Sulthan Bathery and then visit Edakkal
-Keep a day for Banasura Sagar Dam and Kuruva island
-Pookot lake is close to Vythiri. This and the chain-saw tree visit can be clubbed and done in half day, use a morning for this.
-Meenmutti also can be done first half of a day, not sure about Soochipara. And you may want to visit the other side of Wayanad as well for Thirunelly temple, Tholpetty etc. Maybe you can even plan the return journey via Mananthavady, Mysore.

Last edited by NPV : 8th June 2014 at 09:53.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 13:28   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. However an early start is not on cards. We would be starting around 10am. Is this route still the one to take? We are going to be there for 3 days. Fri, sat and Sunday. Friday drive from Bangalore. Saturday roam around. Sunday return. How many attractions can I cover in 1 day?
Go via kanakapura road. You can break for food at Hotel Nijaguna Residency at Chamarajanagar. Regarding your itenary, driving to wayanad takes about 5.5 hrs. If you leave by 10 AM, the whole day is lost as most of the places would close by 4-5 PM.
Kuruvadweep, Banasura sagar dam, Lakkidi can be done in 1 day.
On sunday i would suggest visiting soochipara falls instead of edakkal caves.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks