Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2014, 16:52   #106
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Weekday 10 am start, I'd personally still prefer Chamarajanagar route.
Also, where in Bangalore do you stay ?
As for the places to see:
-Try to visit Edakkal caves on Day 1 on the way to Kalpetta. You can have lunch at Sulthan Bathery and then visit Edakkal
-Keep a day for Banasura Sagar Dam and Kuruva island
-Pookot lake is close to Vythiri. This and the chain-saw tree visit can be clubbed and done in half day, use a morning for this.
-Meenmutti also can be done first half of a day, not sure about Soochipara. And you may want to visit the other side of Wayanad as well for Thirunelly temple, Tholpetty etc. Maybe you can even plan the return journey via Mananthavady, Mysore.
I live in Whitefield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Go via kanakapura road. You can break for food at Hotel Nijaguna Residency at Chamarajanagar. Regarding your itenary, driving to wayanad takes about 5.5 hrs. If you leave by 10 AM, the whole day is lost as most of the places would close by 4-5 PM.
Kuruvadweep, Banasura sagar dam, Lakkidi can be done in 1 day.
On sunday i would suggest visiting soochipara falls instead of edakkal caves.
I work in night shift, hence giving my self some sleeping time before starting. I know its not ideal.

Thank You so much, will try to cover as much as possible. Traveling with my in laws, so we might not stretch ourselves too much to cover places.

MaSh
Old 10th June 2014, 03:44   #107
BHPian

So this is the route that is being decided. See anything missing?

Bangalore(Whitefield) - Wayanad(Green Mount, Kalpetta) GMap
Old 10th June 2014, 07:10   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post

Bangalore(Whitefield) - Wayanad(Green Mount, Kalpetta) GMap
Looks good. The only issue is with your start timing - Being peak hour you might end up spending at least 10-15% of your total drive time in getting from your home to the start of NICE road near E-City.
Old 10th June 2014, 09:04   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Everything looks fine except for the timing. I know you work in night shifts. The point is either you leave late or early. The peak time is from 7:30 AM till about 11 AM. Just for one day may be you can put in those extra effort to leave bangalore by 6:30 AM or else leave after 11 AM.
Take a call based on your confidence level and your mental state. Do not tax your body. Enjoy your trip even if you run short of time to cover most of the sight seeing places.
There is always another time to visit Wayanad.
Old 10th June 2014, 17:18   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Looks good. The only issue is with your start timing - Being peak hour you might end up spending at least 10-15% of your total drive time in getting from your home to the start of NICE road near E-City.
Quote:
Everything looks fine except for the timing. I know you work in night shifts. The point is either you leave late or early. The peak time is from 7:30 AM till about 11 AM. Just for one day may be you can put in those extra effort to leave bangalore by 6:30 AM or else leave after 11 AM.
Take a call based on your confidence level and your mental state. Do not tax your body. Enjoy your trip even if you run short of time to cover most of the sight seeing places.
There is always another time to visit Wayanad.
Thank You so much Kala and Suresh. Yes you both are spot on wrt the timing. I work in EC1 and used to travel everyday till a couple of weeks ago. Traffic will be a pain.

Will try to leave as early as possible.

MaSh
Old 8th July 2014, 19:09   #111

Hi all,

I am planning for a road trip this weekend to Wayanad.
I have made my reservation at Grassroots.

From the posts in this and other related threads, i see there are multiple routes that can be taken. I have earlier driven to Bandipur via Kanakpura and i love that route.

I will be driving my i10, and i want to have a scenic drive.
We are just two and can manage for breakfast in any town.
Planning to start at around 5am from Bangalore.

Just would like to hear from peers on the current road conditions and feedback on the below to and fro route options -

Onward: Start 5am

Bangalore - kanakpura - Malavali - Mysore(ORR) - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta - Manthanvadi - Grassroots

Return: Start 4pm

Grassroots - SB - Gundelpet - Nanjangud - Mysore - Malavali - kanakpura - Bangalore

By this i feel i can ride through both the jungles within their closure times.
Let me know your thoughts / feedback.

Thanks in advance.
-Raj.S
Old 31st July 2014, 13:34   #112
BHPian

Hi,

Posting here since this seems to be the longest running general thread on Wayanad.

How is Woodlands in Wayanad? Need to stay with family (3 adults) for 2 nights.

Checked 3 to 4 resorts, but the prices are insane to say the least! (not that I started searching just today).

Was recommended a home-stay, Sundara Mahal, however, its unavailable for the dates we are looking for.

Though it's my first trip to Wayanad, we don't have much sight seeing plans; visit to couple of places of interest is enough. It's the drive to Wayanad that we are looking forward to more than anything else.

Coming back to Woodlands, please let me know your inputs. Is decent vegetarian food available during BF, Lunch and Dinner?

We are eggeterians; but can be 100% vegetarians if a decent home-stay is available.

The budget looks to be max. INR 10000 for 3 adults / 2 nights / including taxes and breakfast & dinner.

Shall be looking forward to your inputs; thanks much!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 31st July 2014 at 13:35.
Old 31st July 2014, 13:50   #113
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post

Checked 3 to 4 resorts, but the prices are insane to say the least! (not that I started searching just today).
Coming back to Woodlands, please let me know your inputs. Is decent vegetarian food available during BF, Lunch and Dinner?

We are eggeterians; but can be 100% vegetarians if a decent home-stay is available.
Woodlands is our usual stop for a food break during our trips to Calicut.
They have a self-service fast-food/coffee shop which is road facing (right on the NH 212 highway at Kalpetta). At the back, they have the regular restaurants, in fact 2 separate seating areas in dining rooms on either side of a long aisle, one each for Vegetarian and Non-vegetarian. Rest rooms in the restaurants are very clean and Veg food is good
I have never stayed there, though I enquired about room tariffs during our last trip - looked around but could not find the tariff sheet I had with me!
To enter the lodging section, you need to get into the narrow road beside the hotel and turn into their parking lot that has an entry gate there. From here you can reach the Reception and restaurants.

**NOTE:If you take the new NH 212 Kalpetta bypass you will miss Woodlands! When going from Bangalore, when you see the Bye-pass road to the left, ignore and proceed straight.

Last edited by NPV : 31st July 2014 at 13:54.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 17:33   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Posting here since this seems to be the longest running general thread on Wayanad.

Was recommended a home-stay, Sundara Mahal, however, its unavailable for the dates we are looking for.

Though it's my first trip to Wayanad, we don't have much sight seeing plans; visit to couple of places of interest is enough. It's the drive to Wayanad that we are looking forward to more than anything else.

The budget looks to be max. INR 10000 for 3 adults / 2 nights / including taxes and breakfast & dinner.

Did you inquire about Hotel Haritagiri in Kalpetta. The ambience is very good and it is located on the main road.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 18:39   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Woodlands is our usual stop for a food break during our trips to Calicut...I have never stayed there, though I enquired about room tariffs during our last trip - looked around but could not find the tariff sheet I had with me!
Quote:
Did you inquire about Hotel Haritagiri in Kalpetta. The ambience is very good and it is located on the main road.
Thanks to both of you for replying.

As of now, I have verbally booked The Woodlands by calling their reception. They are charging INR 6300 for 3 adults for 2 nights in an AC Deluxe Room next week. The cost includes accommodation only.

Checked Haritagiri as well, and they are offering an AC Room for INR 8900/- inclusive of breakfast and lunch/dinner. Not a bad proposition either considering that I am spending INR 2600 more for breakfast and dinner for 3 pax for 2 days.

Here's the main part - none of the hotels have encouraging reviews on TripAdvisor. It's not that I rely solely on them; even the Leela at Goa had got negative reviews on TripAdvisor when I checked last year! However, at-least 85% of the reviews need to be encouraging for me to take a plunge!

The Woodlands - looks like they even served stale food!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ct_Kerala.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ct_Kerala.html

Haritagiri - Definitely more people have stayed here comparatively!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ct_Kerala.html

I am still open for more options with a max budget of INR 10000 for 2 nights for 3 adults, with at least the breakfast included!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 31st July 2014 at 18:41.
Old 1st August 2014, 14:16   #116
NGM
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I have stayed in woodlands Kalpetta and it is one of the VFM options available. Most of the resorts are expensive.Food was decent,nothing extra ordinary.It is in the middle of the town.
So don't expect to get a scenic view from your room.
You can also try rainbow Holiday home which is in kalpetta and walkable distance from woodlands.
http://www.rainbowholidayhome.com/
Old 1st August 2014, 14:26   #117
Senior - BHPian

Have stayed in Haritagiri a few years back. Decent rooms and decent food. Its in the middle of the town so forget about scenic views! However it is probably equidistant to many of the site seeing places in Wayanad so a good place to stay. In Wayanad getting delicious veg food is not easy (based on the veg guy who travelled with us!)
Old 1st August 2014, 14:31   #118
BHPian

Curious to know if this right time to visit Wayanad in month of August. How are roads and the crowd at this time of year?
Old 1st August 2014, 15:08   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Curious to know if this right time to visit Wayanad in month of August. How are roads and the crowd at this time of year?
-Rains,lush green everywhere,all waterbodies full.
-Less crowds
-Roads have been staying good up until now.
Old 2nd August 2014, 20:34   #120
BHPian

Just reached Kalpetta today. Roads are excellent all the way from Gundlupet to Kalpetta. There is one diversion at Bathery, but no issues. Once you leave Kalpetta and proceed towards Calicut, there is one stretch with 90npcnt broken roads for about 100 metres. Then as you begin to descend the ghats, there are some bad patches, but nothing that you have to worry about. Just being a little extra vigilant should do the trick. Looks lime there are 9 hair pin bends in all; I went till 4th from the top and returned as it was getting dark.

The descend was through the clouds, and one has to view the scenery to believe it!! There were many streams all round and it was a wonderful sight.

Definitely not a bad time to be here if you don't mind low to medium speed driving in rains!

Just replaced the stock wiper blades with BOSCH ones today evening. Cost was 300/-

I am trying to upload some pics using my cell phone. Please forgive me if they dont load well. Am on GPRS!!
Attached Images

Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks