Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 21:19   #136
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,522
Thanked: 470 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Now that we are all set with the places of visit, any inputs on stop overs for breakfast during our onward journey to Kalasa from Bangalore?

We are planning to start from Bangalore (Marathhalli) at 5.00AM.

Route: Bangalore -Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kelagur -Kalasa
5 am departure from Marathalli would make you reach Bellur Cross by around 7.30 am. You have Mayura just after Bellur Cross towards your left. After that you have Kamat and Aadya's Athithi. The next better place to have breakfast would be in Hassan. Hotel Suvarna or Kadamba.

Hoysala Resort is not worth a stop for breakfast if you are just passing by.
addyhemmige is offline  
Old 5th October 2012, 10:37   #137
BHPian
 
kirantp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 385
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
5 am departure from Marathalli would make you reach Bellur Cross by around 7.30 am. You have Mayura just after Bellur Cross towards your left. After that you have Kamat and Aadya's Athithi. The next better place to have breakfast would be in Hassan. Hotel Suvarna or Kadamba.

Hoysala Resort is not worth a stop for breakfast if you are just passing by.
Thanks much mate. points noted
kirantp is offline  
Old 25th June 2013, 22:42   #138
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 960 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

We drove through Malnad in the last two weeks. It is green, beautiful and lovely.

Here are three pictures.

Name:  mon 2.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  119.2 KB

Name:  mon 3.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  83.4 KB

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-mon.jpg
Fauji is offline  
Old 4th July 2013, 12:47   #139
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 960 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Avoid travelling in Malnad area of Shimoga district in Karnataka for next few days. Heavy rains continue in the district. A portion of road between Shimoga and Tirthahalli on NH 63 is submerged in Backwaters of Tunga river near Mandagadde. Hulikal Ghat and surroundings have been battered with heavy rains in last two days. Coastal Karnataka and Coorg is also battered by rains in last few days and many rivers are overflowing.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 13:10   #140
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 704
Thanked: 379 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Avoid travelling in Malnad area of Shimoga district in Karnataka for next few days. Heavy rains continue in the district. A portion of road between Shimoga and Tirthahalli on NH 63 is submerged in Backwaters of Tunga river near Mandagadde. Hulikal Ghat and surroundings have been battered with heavy rains in last two days. Coastal Karnataka and Coorg is also battered by rains in last few days and many rivers are overflowing.
I was actually planning to drive to Shimoga, i have to re plan now :-(. Anyway thanks for the update sir...
sumathindra is offline  
Old 4th July 2013, 16:44   #141
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 89
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Avoid travelling in Malnad area of Shimoga district in Karnataka for next few days. Heavy rains continue in the district. A portion of road between Shimoga and Tirthahalli on NH 63 is submerged in Backwaters of Tunga river near Mandagadde. Hulikal Ghat and surroundings have been battered with heavy rains in last two days. Coastal Karnataka and Coorg is also battered by rains in last few days and many rivers are overflowing.
Thanks for the update. Any idea regarding the Shimoga-Sagara-Jog falls road? We were planning to drive to Jog falls next weekend.
flycatcher is offline  
Old 5th August 2013, 21:02   #142
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 960 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Happened to see this lovely video on Monsoon in Western Ghats by Award winning filmmaker and Wildlife photographer - Sandesh Kadur.

Take a look.


Last edited by Fauji : 5th August 2013 at 21:03.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 13:14   #143
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

I am planning for a drive to coastal Karnataka in first week of October. Any suggestions or updates on road conditions would be helpful
Routes :
Sringeri to Udupi
Udupi - all the way to Gokarna via Murudeshwara
Gorkarna - Jog and Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.
ark_rover is offline  
Old 13th September 2013, 15:04   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,289
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark_rover View Post
I am planning for a drive to coastal Karnataka in first week of October. Any suggestions or updates on road conditions would be helpful
Routes :
Sringeri to Udupi
Udupi - all the way to Gokarna via Murudeshwara
Gorkarna - Jog and Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.
I am assuming you plan to travel from Bangalore to Sringeri (via chikmaglur)
From Sringeri -> Agumbe ->Someshwara -> Hebri -> udupi.

Roads are narrow, Expect bad roads from bottom of Agumbe till hebri.

Udupi - Gokarna. There is only one route for you. stick to the NH irrespective of its condition. I know the roads are under construction till Kundapur(diversions are there but road is decent) Havent travelled beyond that in 2013. Typically this route gets battered during monsoons. But this is the only route you got.

To go to Jog falls, you might have to come down to Honnavar.

I also suggest you to post this query in Art of travelling to udupi/Mangalore. It is a very active thread and plenty of locals can guide you
rajshenoy is offline  
Old 13th September 2013, 16:30   #145
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am assuming you plan to travel from Bangalore to Sringeri (via chikmaglur)
From Sringeri -> Agumbe ->Someshwara -> Hebri -> udupi.

Roads are narrow, Expect bad roads from bottom of Agumbe till hebri.
Thanks for your response, Yes I am planning to leave early from Bangalore and reach Sringeri for overnight stay after Horanadu darshan.
In Google maps, there is also another route from Sringeri via Karkala, so was also thinking about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I also suggest you to post this query in Art of travelling to udupi/Mangalore. It is a very active thread and plenty of locals can guide you
Yes, I will post in this thread. Many Thanks for your inputs.
ark_rover is offline  
Old 10th June 2014, 15:45   #146
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 960 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

We were driving back yesterday morning from Tirthahalli. A lovely road. Overcast sky.

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-photo2.jpg

Time to plan for monsoon drives in Western ghats!
Fauji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 16:04   #147
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 324 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

I am planning for a few drives in June-July-August to live through monsoon rains. Can anyone of you please suggest a couple of day trips, and a couple of trips with 1 night halt? Starting from Bangalore. Thanks in advance.
bsdbsd is offline  
Old 11th June 2014, 15:41   #148
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,730
Thanked: 10,441 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
I am planning for a few drives in June-July-August to live through monsoon rains. Can anyone of you please suggest a couple of day trips, and a couple of trips with 1 night halt? Starting from Bangalore. Thanks in advance.
Day trips would be difficult. Because all distance would be in access of 200-250km. You will need at least a night halt.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 21:04   #149
BHPian
 
TheTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Space-Time
Posts: 484
Thanked: 331 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

With the onset of the monsoon, how will the roads be? Conventional wisdom says they deteriorate, especially in the ghats. Thanks.
TheTeacher is offline  
Old 31st July 2016, 15:11   #150
Newbie
 
relichunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

I am planning to go for a solo Malnad monsoon drive during 15th Aug long weekend. Here is the drive plan.

Aug 13
Electronics City(Bangalore)-> Mudigere->Charmady Ghats->Kalasa (Stay overnight)

Aug 14
Kalasa->Sringeri->Agumbe->Kundadri Hill->Sakleshpur-> Hassan (Stay overnight)

Aug 15
Hassan -> Electronics City(Bangalore)

As I am going solo, I plan to drive leisurely with a max of 7 hrs a day. Google map says its doable with the current plan. My intention is to just see and enjoy the beauty of Western Ghats. Please let me know if anyone has done this route recently and know the road conditions. Are there any particular things which I need to be aware of while taking this journey?
relichunter is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks