Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 23:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Fauji, actually I was expecting some pics from you!! Weren't you supposed to have been in this region by now? If your trip is this weekend, then we will meet in Bananki.

Prasad
Hi Prasad,

Yes You were right. We could not go last week due to some urgent work at home. Planning to do the trip by end of the month by which time you would have done yours
Old 12th July 2011, 11:26   #77
Senior - BHPian

Came back last week from the monsoon trip, did the Bangalore - Banavasi - Unchalli Falls - Sahasra linga - Jog Falls - Kodachadri - Kollur - Nagara Fort - Khandya - Bangalore.

Roads were really good except for some odd patches here and there. Chikamaglur to Kadur is absolute crap and ought to be careful. Rains were manageable, food was excellent all round the trip and special thanks to Fauji for the town canteen for the awesome Benne Masala Dosa
Old 15th July 2011, 15:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Came back last week from the monsoon trip, did the Bangalore - Banavasi - Unchalli Falls - Sahasra linga - Jog Falls - Kodachadri - Kollur - Nagara Fort - Khandya - Bangalore.

Roads were really good except for some odd patches here and there. Chikamaglur to Kadur is absolute crap and ought to be careful. Rains were manageable, food was excellent all round the trip and special thanks to Fauji for the town canteen for the awesome Benne Masala Dosa
Nice to know that you enjoyed the trip and Dosey at Town canteen. when can we expect a TL? That should be lovely with rain soaked fresh pictures
Old 15th July 2011, 21:05   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Nice to know that you enjoyed the trip and Dosey at Town canteen. when can we expect a TL? That should be lovely with rain soaked fresh pictures
For sure will put up the TL along with a few photos. Please await till tomorrow (sunday) so that can do it a bit leisurely
Old 18th July 2011, 10:38   #80
BHPian

Hi all,
Excellent thread this! I am planning to go Chikmaglur-Kemmangundi during the long weekend next month (Aug 13th- Aug15th). Planning to start from Bangalore early morning at 5 AM on 13th. I have a few queries
Query 1: Which road is better from Chikmaglur to Kemmangundi?
a) Chikmaglur - Lingadalli - Kalhatti falls - Kemmangundi
b) Chikmaglur - kaimara - Attigundi - Kemmangundi?
I have been on route (b) about 5 years back and route (a) about an year back. I know route (b) is very scenic. But the road was very bad once we were nearing Kemmangundi. How is the present state?
Query 2: Please suggest some good homestays. Budget is approx 1000-1200 per head per day
Query 3: Places to visit. Here are the places I know. Please let me know if I have missed out any
Mulyangiri, Habbae falls, Kalhatti falls, Z - point, Ayyan kere, Belur - Halebid.
PS: Will be doing the trip in a linea/punto with 4-5 ppl on board
Old 18th July 2011, 12:47   #81
Senior - BHPian

All,
Please find my travelogue for the trip. Photos shall be uploaded as soon as i lay my hands on them

Trip Details

Day1: Started from house at around 515 , picked up first guy by 530 from a point near to his house and from there went to pick up another guy and reached his place by around 545, it was raining mildly more of a strong drizzle and was able to reach the Tumkur Highway by around 6. Once we reached the high way it was raining cats and dogs, one scary moment was when i tried to overtake an innova did not guage the depth of the water on the fast side and vehicle swerved dangerously close to the innova and to top it water splashed from the innova blinding me for an instance it was a nerve wracking moment which caught me by surprise, managed to dead steer the vehicle and still overtake the innova Both the travel were aghast with that...once we cleared Tumkur the pouring rain had subsided now to a mild drizzle and by the time we thought we could stop for a leak rain had stopped and we were at hiriyur. Bladders emptied we continued onwards to Davangere for the designated breakfast break at Gururaj Benne Dosa Kendra and had yummy yummy dosas. Started onwards to Banavasi from our pit stop by 10, which mean we covered a distance of nearly 240 kms in less than 4 hours. Took the deviation off haveri and reached Banavasi by around 130 which meant that we covered 410 kms in less than 8 hours which was not bad considering the rain and visibility conditions. Checked into the rooms which was prebooked booked and they were really so very welcoming. Looking at the room and the nature amidst us we decided to extend our stay in banavasi by one more day and haggled with the guy for a cheaper/better price. 1600Rs for 3 people for 2 nights/3 days is not a bad deal after all. Then we had yummy yummy lunch at a localite's house...will try to post in the photos of what we had, Jowar Roti, 2 types of Vegetables Sabji, 4 types of powders typical malnad style wow...i was lapping it all without caring a thought for my diet. Rice was extremely good not the polished rice that we get in Blore and in fact did request him to pack 2 kilos of rice so that i can get it to be done at home. In the afternoon the manager forced us to drive to Unchalli Falls which is around 60 kms from our place. Did drive there and to our disappointment the falls was completely blocked from our view because of the extreme fog, Let alone seeing the falls we couldnt see one another if we were around 5 meters apart. The roar of the water was just too good and even when we were shouting at the top of our voice all that we could hear was just a whisper. Trekked the way back and had tea at a stall there it was awesome. Me being myself spoke to the guy and requested him more details around the place and for lunch, took his contact details and started on our way back to Sirsi. Once we reached Sirsi we stopped there to help ourselves to jackfruit chips/Bajjis and started on our way back to the room. We reached there by 9ish and headed off to dinner at the same place. It was indeed yummy yummy again and no second thoughts Had forgotten my BB when i had my lunch there and picked it up when I had been for the dinner (Should thanks the house inmates for keeping it safe and secure). Saw some movies and finally hit the sack by 1230 after scaring one of our accomplice with para normal activities

Day2: Started off lazily with all of us getting up by around 8ish after being woken up by the room boy....gave him a bit of my piece of my mind and he was off to fend for himself should say that the manager was indeed a funny guy there. He wanted to be totally in control of us and yesterday as well he was insisting that we visit Sahsralinga in the dark which i turned off. Went to the Madhuleshwara Temple which was built around 345 AD which is still being worshipped a huge gigantic linga and a good basava/nandi being the main forces here. A stone cot carved completely out of a single monolithic rock needs to be seen to be believed are the other things which catches ones eyes here, truly great stuff. Once done with the temple we headed off to the room for some lazy moments and we saw one movie there. Around 1245 we decided to head to the Unchalli Falls as it was quite sunny and called our contact there to enquire about the situation there. He asked us to come since there was no rain and not much of fog. Requested him to prepare lunch for us and we were off from banavasi again on the same route to Unchalli Falls. Trek down was not all that exhaustive as compared to yesterday and it was indeed really good, did not regret the decision to come back again. Since our breakfast was light (usual Idly/Vada/ Malnad Bunns) was looking forward for the lunch at his place (Hegde). Wow what a lunch it was...too good simply too good, Curry was made out of bamboo shoot and it was too good. First time ever in my life eating such stuff and it was really good...the pickle was lip smacking, finger licking good. Once done with the lunch the host even offered us over night stay at their place if we were to visit again which am sure will do. Was getting around 5 ish when we reached Sahsralinga place and it was really good. Whatever we could see was just too good considering that river was quite full with the fact that this region receives copious amounts of rainfall. Reached back the room by around 810 and waited for room boy to open the door as he was away to get the dinner for us. He came back by around 845 by which time we had scared our poor fella to the core about the ghost stories...lol...he was sleeping next to the window and he ensure it was tightly shut poor guy. Got woken up early in the morning by around 2ish to some scary/wierd howls. Ventured out to find nothing and slept back.

Day3: Woke up and completed all our day to day activities by around 8ish, had good breakfast from the same localite's place, Dosas and Chutney which was good. Checked out with the room boy on the wierd howls and he did update that there are lot of foxes in the regions which cause this. Made one more visit to the temple then we decided to head to Jog by around 10ish after clearing the bills. Took the unknown road of going via interior roads and not by the regular roads and it was a good decision. Passed by Chandraguthi where it was famous for Nude Worship by female devotees the practise of which was stopped only during the early 90's. Did not go the temple as we missed it and then reached Jog by around 12ish. Small fiasco when i was backing the car managed to touch the rear bumper into a pole nothing much but a small scratch and slight bump. Trekked down Jog right into the bottom which meant a walk of 1 1/2 kms around 1340 Steps to be exact one way. By the time we trekked back it was WOW...Jog has another view which not many people head to...since i had been there done that stuff was able to guide the folks around to that place and it was really cool .The peek down the cliffs to see the bottom(jogada gundi) where we had been nearly an hour was awesome. Had some delicious lemon rice and some chirumuri for lunch and then we decided to drive down to Kodachadri. The drive was uneventful again on interior roads and by the time we reached the foot of Kodachadri by when it had become really dark. Parked the car near the shops there and hired a Jeep for 1400 Rs(both ways) for a distance of 9 kms one way. Was pondering is it the right amount or are all these people taking us for a ride. Once we took the hairpin curve quickly it dawned to me that this terrain requried a 4 wheel drive. Really Amazing drive we had and felt it was worth every rupee, the beating that the jeep took, had it been my car probably i would have had to get the car back in gunny sacks . Reached Kodachadri and was enthralling to see the fog that had enveloped the place. Really amazing stuff to say the least, could hardly see anything beyond 5 feet from us and on top of it leeches and rain. Slept in the IB after having delicious Curry & rice.

Day4: Woke up at around 630 in the morning and we got ready for the trekking as the sky was clear and it had stopped raining but it was the usual foggy stuff which had cleared to a certain extent and visibility had improved greatly. Did a trek of close to 1 1/2 kms upwards to reach the pinnacle of the peak where you have the Sarvagna Peetha, This is a place where the revered Adi Shankaracharya has meditated, did trek around a few bits and pieces there. Once done with trekking had a cold water bath at the IB and left for Kollur Temple for a visit to the diety. Had a good darshan and then headed off to lunch which is served at the temple. Throughout the trip should confess that food has been top notch and would love to gorge on them every other day Once done with the temple we had been to the nagara fort and it was really awesome to watch and what a sight it was started out frm nagara fort by around 5 in the evening after these guys were done with their innumerable photo sesions we started our way towards Chikamanglur. A distance of around 180 kms the route was indeed amazing and we reached Chikamanglur by around 945 in the evening. By the time we checked into a hotel and started for our search for dinner it was around 10 by which time all the hotels had shut shop. We then had to search for roadside food and we did have Masala Puri/Pani Puri & Idly Vada stuff. Decided to call it quits for the day by around 11ish. Last night of the trip was over :( thoughts of coming back to concrete jungle was haunting us.

Day 5: Got up and we were ready by 9. There is a famous canteen (suggested by Fauji to whom i need to convey my heartfelt thanks) called New Town Canteen in chikmanglur which is famous for benne masala dosa. The waiter was just amazed looking at our habits, this place was a bit of pricey as well with each dosa costing around 28 Rs, with a total of 246 Rs which was the most expensive breakfast we ever had in the whole of trip. Even more expensive than any lunch as well quickly took the exit out of city to drive towards Khandya where we have the rocks that are sculpted by water. This place is called Kudurey Abbi, it was a disappointment because water was overflowing and it had completely covered the natural sculptures, so we had to return disappointed. Started on our way back to Bangalore a distance of 260 Kms. The roads from Chikamaglur to Kadur are a pain please be careful. Reached Tumkur by around 445 and stopped @ kamat's for a recharge coupled with snacks.The minute we got into the highway it again started raining cats and dogs very similar to our start of the journey. Finally reached the outskirts of Blore by around 630 in the evening and reached home by 830 by which time i was ready to collapse to the bed.

Last edited by GTO : 19th July 2011 at 18:49. Reason: Kindly go through the rules. No more than 2 smilies are allowed per post. Thanks.
Old 18th July 2011, 14:36   #82
BHPian

Hi, pls have a look at my posts in this thread. Would be glad to add any other info if required.

VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatcher View Post
Hi all,
Excellent thread this! I am planning to go Chikmaglur-Kemmangundi during the long weekend next month (Aug 13th- Aug15th). Planning to start from Bangalore early morning at 5 AM on 13th. I have a few queries
I have been on route (b) about 5 years back and route (a) about an year back. I know route (b) is very scenic. But the road was very bad once we were nearing Kemmangundi. How is the present state?
Query 2: Please suggest some good homestays. Budget is approx 1000-1200 per head per day
Query 3: Places to visit. Here are the places I know. Please let me know if I have missed out any
Mulyangiri, Habbae falls, Kalhatti falls, Z - point, Ayyan kere, Belur - Halebid.
PS: Will be doing the trip in a linea/punto with 4-5 ppl on board
VindyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 17:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, pls have a look at my posts in this thread. Would be glad to add any other info if required.

VW
Thanks VW. I booked for a room at planters court. TL will follow once I am done with the trip. :-)
Old 21st July 2011, 19:16   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
I did b) some 5 months ago with family on my scorp. The roads were pathetic to say the least, since I was driving I was only focusing on the rocks to avoid than look at the beautiful scene around. Plus in many places, its quite deserted, so no one to help if you run into any issues. I wouldn't advice this route.
chandras1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:44   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chikmaglur - kaimara - Attigundi - Kemmangundi?
Avoid... avoid .. avoid... if you doing this in Linea.
The route is good for SUV's n Jeep...
But one the best scenic route I have ever driven.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:07   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take route b only if you are going upto Bababudangiri. From what I heard from a friend, the road has been relaid upto Attigundi-Bababudangiri. From there to Kemmangundi, it is the same old road.

Since you have driven there 5 years back, expect the road to be worse than what it was 5 years back.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 23:38   #87
BHPian

Last weekend, we went to Tirthahalli for a "monsoon trek". Stayed in Bananki Homestay - awesome place and hosts (Thanks Fauji for the reco) and went around to Kavaledurga, Kundadri and to Kuppalli. According to locals the rains were at their peak in this season on those two days and it was full "paisa vasool". It rained for almost all the time we were there in that region (about 40hrs). Thank several BHPians for their generous suggestions for this trip. Ofcourse Fauji helped a lot on PMs too. Here are some pics, in the hope that it would inspire more people to visit the region in this rainy season.

Tungabhadra river at Tirthahalli:
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-.img_0620.jpg

Bananki's main bungalow (Homestay in Thirthahalli :: Bananki Home Stay)
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-b.img_0630.jpg

At the entrance of Kavaledurga fort built in 1784 in 3-tiers (Mooru suttina kote).
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-c.img_0652.jpg

At the entrance of the second tier
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-d.img_0677.jpg

The temple at the center of the fort
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-e.img_0698.jpg

Rain was lashing all along. One of us struggles to make his way thru.
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-f.img_0699.jpg

Another temple in the fort:
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-g.img_0700.jpg

Evening we went to Kundadri peak at 3200ft.
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-h.img_0755.jpg

Diesel vehicles and less experienced drivers will struggle in this ultra-narrow, steep and winding roads:
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-h1.dsc01727.jpg

It was mist, rain and heavy wind at the top
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-h3.img_0751.jpg

The lone temple at the top was closed and the visibility was very poor
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-i.img_0750.jpg

Back in picture-perfect Tirthahalli, sleepy by 6PM.
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-j.img_0758-copy.jpg

Next day we went to Kuppalli by walk from the homestay:
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-k.img_0778.jpg

First stop was at the memorial built for Poorna Chandra Tejaswi (Poo-Chen-the) for his fans - great son of a great poet.
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-l.img_0780.jpg

And finally, KuVemPu's residence. Very well preserved. Good museum.
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-m.img_0787.jpg

At the entrance of Kavoshaila, where KuVempu has written several of his poems:
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-n.img_0794.jpg

KuVempu memorial at Kavishaila (wonder what those rocks mean)
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-o.img_0797.jpg

On the return trip, I took a detour via Udupi and had to cross Agumbe ghats:
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-p.img_0841.jpg

Decent roads, but the journey was fantastic in a Shimoga-Mlore mini-bus that even seasoned BHPians may find it difficult to keep pace with.
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-q.img_0843.jpg

Visibility remained poor all the way till Hebri
Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-r.img_0845.jpg

Now, isn't this a good proof for you to plan one trip?

Last edited by prasad14 : 22nd July 2011 at 23:58.
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:31   #88
Senior - BHPian

I will be starting from Maravanthe, am wondering if Chikmagalur can be done in any of the scenic routes. I can gather a couple of routes, but wondering if there are landslides along them:

a) Maravanthe - Siddapura - Tirthahalli - Sringeri - Jayapura - Balehonnur - Chikmagalur
b) Maravanthe - Udupi - Agumbe - Sringeri - Jayapura - Balehonnur - Chikmagalur
c) Maravanthe - Udupi - Karkala - Bethangady - Charamadi - Mudigere - Chikmagalur
d) Maravanthe - Jog - Shimoga - Tarikere - Lingadahalli - Kemmangundi - Chikmagalur

This is my first trip through that area and have a day for this drive. The agenda is to enjoy the rain and vistas (anything else is extra). I'll be driving an i10, so the route should be doable on a hatch
Old 2nd August 2011, 23:22   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I will be starting from Maravanthe, am wondering if Chikmagalur can be done in any of the scenic routes. I can gather a couple of routes, but wondering if there are landslides along them:

a) Maravanthe - Siddapura - Tirthahalli - Sringeri - Jayapura - Balehonnur - Chikmagalur
b) Maravanthe - Udupi - Agumbe - Sringeri - Jayapura - Balehonnur - Chikmagalur
c) Maravanthe - Udupi - Karkala - Bethangady - Charamadi - Mudigere - Chikmagalur
d) Maravanthe - Jog - Shimoga - Tarikere - Lingadahalli - Kemmangundi - Chikmagalur

This is my first trip through that area and have a day for this drive. The agenda is to enjoy the rain and vistas (anything else is extra). I'll be driving an i10, so the route should be doable on a hatch
All these routes provide beautiful views on the way. So, you can take anyone out of them. Routes (a) and (d) are longer than the other 2. (d) is the longest. You can take route (d) only if you want to visit Jog falls.

There is another option also
e) Maravanthe-Udupi-Manipal-Karkala-Kudremukh-Kalasa-Kottigehara-Mudigere-Chikmagalur
Old 3rd August 2011, 07:01   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
All these routes provide beautiful views
That was the idea The only thing am worried about is effect of landslides on these roads

Most Viewed