Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 10:02   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Thanx.Visited Mani Dam based upon your first post.Made my day... It's a must visit place.Kundadri was already done on the way from Agumbe.
That's cool. Isn't it beautiful? Are you posting any TL of your trip? Awaiting pictures from your trip>
Old 6th October 2011, 10:38   #107
BHPian

Great information.

We are going to Malnad this weekend. Where is this town canteen?

Also, which simcard works best in the forest(planning to drive through to the other side)?

If any of you happen to have some good contacts for any coffee estates/bunglows for about Rs. 1200 per day per head, please pass it on to me.

Thanks.
Old 7th October 2011, 10:26   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Great information.

We are going to Malnad this weekend. Where is this town canteen?

Also, which simcard works best in the forest(planning to drive through to the other side)?

If any of you happen to have some good contacts for any coffee estates/bunglows for about Rs. 1200 per day per head, please pass it on to me.

Thanks.
Town canteen is situated on the Giri road. It is a continuation of the IG Road (bus stand road) and is at the end of the road. Anyone will tell you directions to Town Canteen. It is located opposite the Govt. DACG Polytechnic.

BSNL has the best coverage in thehilly areas.
Old 9th November 2011, 20:18   #109
BHPian

Hi Fauji and other Malnad lovers,

Require your help in planning my second trip to Malnad. I will be returning from Kerala via Kasargod-Mangalore-Manipal-Kollur to Bangalore.
I have never driven to Bangalore from Kollur/Manipal. Will be driving my accent with family. We plan to make it a leasurely trip and never drive more than 5 hrs a day.
Need you help in planning the below portion of the trip:

1) Places to stay (preferably homestay for making food for our 1 year old princess) at Manipal (2 nights), near Kollur mookambika temple (1-2 nights)

2) Is it possible to visit Kudachaadri with a baby?

3) Considering that we do not want to drive more than 5 hrs a day, a plan to travel to Bangalore halting somewhere in between (I was quite impressed with Fauji's depiction of Sakleshpur and Thirthahalli, but not sure about the routes from Kollur).

Thr trip is planned for middle of next month.

Thank You

VW
Old 16th November 2011, 00:31   #110
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue, fauji!

I had a question as to the best route (latest road condition, scenery) between Shimoga and Kollur:

1. Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Nagara - Kollur
2. Shimoga - Arasalu - Ripponpet - Hosanagara - Nagara - Kollur
3. Shimoga - Anantapur - Hosanagara - Nagara - Kollur

Which would be the recommended route? Thanks!
Old 16th November 2011, 10:48   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Wonderful travelogue, fauji!

I had a question as to the best route (latest road condition, scenery) between Shimoga and Kollur:

1. Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Nagara - Kollur
2. Shimoga - Arasalu - Ripponpet - Hosanagara - Nagara - Kollur
3. Shimoga - Anantapur - Hosanagara - Nagara - Kollur

Which would be the recommended route? Thanks!
Thanks Pearljam.

Take Route 1. It is most scenic. The road from Shimoga to Tirthahalli is very good and scenic. On the way if you have time stop over for few minutes to see Gajanur Dam and Mandagadde bird sanctaury - both are on the road and well signaged.

From Tirthahalli, what i understand from some of my friends is the road to Kollur via Nagara is still holding and can be done. Try and spend some time in Nagara fort which is again on the road.

You can also take a look at my following TLs which has some nice pictures of the area.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-monsoons.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ad-malnad.html
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 15:23   #112
BHPian

Thanks for the valuable information! I will update the thread with the latest once I'm done with my trip.
Old 17th July 2012, 09:44   #113
Senior - BHPian

Just rekindling this thread as the monsoon is active in Malnad and it is green and lovely everywhere. Though the rains have not been that great this year, it is still good and is picking up. With long weekends coming up in August - Janmashtami, Ramzan and of course Independence day - if one can take off on Monday and Tuesday - it is the ideal time to plan a trip and soak in nature.
Old 17th July 2012, 14:13   #114
BHPian

Dear Poorna,

I am thinking of visiting Horanadu during the 18th Aug weekend. I came upon the Eagle eye holidays resort Chikmagalur, Resort, Holidays, Resort in Chikmagalur, Hotels in Chikmagalur, Resorts in Chikmagalur, Home stay in Chikmagalur, Chikmagalur Resorts, Chikmagalur Tourism, Holiday Plan in Karnataka, Eagle Eye Holiday .. Have you been to this place? What are your views on the place and how is the VFM? One day to visit the temple and the other two days (including 20th) go around (suggestions welcome)
Old 21st July 2012, 16:36   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Dear Poorna,

I am thinking of visiting Horanadu during the 18th Aug weekend. I came upon the Eagle eye holidays resort Chikmagalur, Resort, Holidays, Resort in Chikmagalur, Hotels in Chikmagalur, Resorts in Chikmagalur, Home stay in Chikmagalur, Chikmagalur Resorts, Chikmagalur Tourism, Holiday Plan in Karnataka, Eagle Eye Holiday .. Have you been to this place? What are your views on the place and how is the VFM? One day to visit the temple and the other two days (including 20th) go around (suggestions welcome)
Hi Mahesh,

If you are visiting Horanadu, the best place to stay is Upasana home stay in Samse.

upasana retreat

You can explore Kudremukh and surroundings as well as Sirimane falls, Sringeri and Agumbe as day trips.
Old 17th August 2012, 13:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

Hi, We are leaving for Agumbe tonight. We have two routes in mind
1> Bangalore > Shimoga > Thirthahalli > Agumbe
2> Bangalore > Hassan > Belur > Sringeri > Agubme

Can someone tell us what will be a good route? I usually prefer the scenic route, but since it will be dark while we driving may not really help but we can choose a more scenic route while our return journey.

We will be spending 2-3 days, a bit of photography, a bit of trekking around, a bit of night walk/nature walk etc. I know its monsoon and we will try to be prepared for it, but its fun going in this area in monsoon only when we get to see amphibians around.

Let us know if you can think of other good places around that we can visit/drive to.
Thank you.
Old 12th September 2012, 14:30   #117
BHPian

Help on bike routes in Malnad

Hi,

Me and some of my friends are undertaking a rather ambitious road trip (in our Bullets), covering most ghats in Karnataka.
Here's the plan:
Google map: http://goo.gl/maps/jf7OH

20th: Bangalore-Channrayapatna (150kms) (leaving BLR by 3PM)

21st: Channarayapatna-Bisle-Kukke-Charmadi-Kudremukh-Shringeri (350kms)

22nd: Shringeri-Agumbe-Someshwar-Kodachadri-Tirthahalli-Balehonnur (278kms) or Muthodi if we can reserve

23rd: Balehonnur-Muthodi-Kemmannugundi-Birur-Bangalore (362kms)

Have the following questions:
1. General comment on the route chosen and other tips for places nearby.

2. Alternate routes: Since the trip is undertaken in 500cc Bullets, we are not very worried about the road conditions, but prefer to take the one that is most scenic/adventurous.

3. Options for stay (basic) in Channarayapatna, Shringeri and Balehonnur. Will try our luck with forest dept guesthouse in Muthodi, if we don't get it, we will have to stay in Balehonnur.

4. There seem to be multiple routes to reach Tirthahalli from Kodachadri. Which is the one that is most adventurous (I saw one via Hulikal and back waters of Mani dam, that sounded great on the map!)

5. Any other tips from the experienced bikers.

6. Know this is a stupid question, but still will ask: Heard it is raining heavily in Shimoga district. Can we expect 2-3hrs of rain every day or would it be even more? Any guesses from people know the rain pattern in that area for the month of Sep?

Thanks,

Prasad
Old 12th September 2012, 15:04   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post

6. Know this is a stupid question, but still will ask: Heard it is raining heavily in Shimoga district. Can we expect 2-3hrs of rain every day or would it be even more? Any guesses from people know the rain pattern in that area for the month of Sep?

Thanks,

Prasad

Hi Prasad,

Since you are going on bikes, I will answer question no 6 first.

6. It is raining heavily in the entire Malnad region (not only in Shimoga as you have asked). It rains all day and the intensity varies from drizzle to heavy showers to thunder storms. It all depends on your luck.

Generally, the rains should reduce intensity during September, but this year, the rains started only in August, so I'm not sure if it will be the same. But, be prepared to face heavy rain.

Quote:
Hi,

Me and some of my friends are undertaking a rather ambitious road trip (in our Bullets), covering most ghats in Karnataka.
Here's the plan:
Google map: http://goo.gl/maps/jf7OH

20th: Bangalore-Channrayapatna (150kms) (leaving BLR by 3PM)

21st: Channarayapatna-Bisle-Kukke-Charmadi-Kudremukh-Shringeri (350kms)
This is a bit difficult.

Firstly, if you need to reach Bisle, the better and faster route would be Channarayapatna-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Hethur-Bisle. This route has good to decent roads atleast till Hethur. The route you have chosen, although shorter is more time consuming and has bad roads for most of the way. But, it should be more scenic than the National Highway with less traffic.

Bisle ghat is in very bad condition. It was bad before the rains and it will be worse during/after the rains. But, it is an adventurous drive/ride. Watch out for roadblocks because of fallen trees.

It will be tough to reach Sringeri by nightfall because of the rain and bad roads. You may have to break your journey in between depending on what time you reach Kukke and Dharmasthala. Are you planning to visit the temples in these places?

Quote:
22nd: Shringeri-Agumbe-Someshwar-Kodachadri-Tirthahalli-Balehonnur (278kms) or Muthodi if we can reserve
Again, I feel this will be quite a stretch. Better plan the routes in real time depending on the situation at the time

Quote:
23rd: Balehonnur-Muthodi-Kemmannugundi-Birur-Bangalore (362kms)
This can be done. Balehinnur-Muthodi-Attigundi-Kemmangundi has bad roads. Muthodi-Attigundi is very narrow, but is very nice to drive. Birur-Bangalore has very good roads and you can make up for lost time.

Quote:
3. Options for stay (basic) in Channarayapatna, Shringeri and Balehonnur. Will try our luck with forest dept guesthouse in Muthodi, if we don't get it, we will have to stay in Balehonnur.
No idea in Channarayapatna, Hassan is a better bet instead, as it has more options. Sringeri has plenty of lodges and temple accommodation. No idea in Balehonnur. It'll be lovely if you get accommodation in Muthodi.

Quote:
4. There seem to be multiple routes to reach Tirthahalli from Kodachadri. Which is the one that is most adventurous (I saw one via Hulikal and back waters of Mani dam, that sounded great on the map!)
Thirthalli-Hulikal route is very scenic, but it had good roads until the Varahi project area (Mani Dam) only. After that, it was pretty bad. You can check the below link where I have posted some more details. The route you have chosen from Kodachadri to Thirthalli looks very good, but no idea about road conditions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2900995

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th September 2012 at 03:31. Reason: merging posts as requested
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 22:23   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Hi Prasad,

Firstly, if you need to reach Bisle, the better and faster route would be Channarayapatna-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Hethur-Bisle. This route has good to decent roads atleast till Hethur.
We will take this route. How to identify this deviation off the NH to Mangalore?

Prasad
Old 17th September 2012, 12:12   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We will take this route. How to identify this deviation off the NH to Mangalore?

Prasad

This deviation is about 5 kms after Sakleshpur Bus stand. There is a fort called 'Manjarabad Fort' and there are a few tea shops at the place. Just after these tea shops, you need to take the road on the left which goes slightly uphill. The road going down is the NH to Mangalore.

If you take this route, you can probably stay at Sakleshpur for the night instead of Hassan (unless it is too late). Sakleshpur is about 40 kms from Hassan.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks