Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 11:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?

Aah !! There are you are, stirring the need to do the western ghats this rainy season again. Ideally the best time to do the trip would be towards the end of the monsoons. Sometime in August is ideal. Being the city bred humans, it would be quite difficult to cope up with the torrential rains and the leeches.

Considering the fact that the shiradi ghat roads is in pristine condition, its ideal to embark on a journey via that route. Deviate at dharmasthala and then drive north along the coast line. Make the choice of driving via the NH-17 or stick to the ghats.
Both routes wouldn't let you down, coz your drive back to bangalore would be via the western ghats again.

Just in case you guys have missed it, here is another thread I did with my older baleno : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kundapura.html
Old 9th June 2011, 14:02   #17
BHPian

Fauji, amazing work, thanks a ton for this. A clarification - I thought Kudachadri was very near to the Kollur temple, you have mentioned a separate day for this. Could you also suggest a 5 day itenery including the best of the drives and nature.

Thanks
VW
Old 9th June 2011, 15:04   #18
BHPian

Wow! fantastic thread Fauji.

I will surely plan a trip to Tirthahalli this monsoon. Greatly inspired by the pics you have shared in other threads!

I have already been to Sringeri, Horanadu, Kollur, Kodachadri, Sagara, Jog falls. Also done an awesome monsoon trek near sagara visiting the basavanabaayi falls, beLLigunDi falls, gooDanagunDi falls.

But there are a lot more places to cover as you mention.

Just wanted to clarify a couple of things

- Whats the best time in these 2-3 months to visit? I mean would it be best during peak monsoon, if so which month is ideal?
- Any issues driving a car like figo around malnad region in the heavy monsoon? Like bad muddy roads with huge potholes?[please keep the figo GC in mind]
Old 9th June 2011, 16:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Yes Poorna its ON very much. Just that I'm stuck in very hot (38deg) weather in Austin! The plan is not to drive, but take a night bus and park ourselves in a good place (like Bananki as you suggested) and almost do nothing, but enjoy the rains and go for small hikes, plantation walks. But your post is making us relook at the plan and drive around instead. Hard to decide.

Prasad
You can defintely do that. You can take night train to Shivamogga and from there catch numerous buses to Tirthahalli. The drive from Shivamogga to Tirthahalli is beautiful. On reaching Tirthahalli, hire a Jeep to around the places of your choice.

On the otherhand, it is not such a long drive from Bangalore that will make you tired. One can comfortably make it in Six hours with a half hour break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
We took the option of visiting the following places enroute with Amritapura, Koodli, Shimoga Nayak's Palace, St Peters Basilica, Sanctuary, Hosgunda, Kelladi, Ikkeri, Jog falls, Chandragutti, Banavasi, Kotipura, Balligavi, Talagunda and exclusive Bandalike, it was a lovely trip and returned via NH4. The night halts were at Bhadravathi, Sagar and Harihar.
I did Belligavi and Bandalike and took the route to NH 4 via Byadgi. The road condition for fifteen KMs was very bad. I would rather recommend to come back to Shivamogga via Shikaripura from Belligavi. The road is good. Has to be, it is Chief Minister's constituency
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
@Fauji, Jealous of you ...
How many trips to Maland do you do ?
Oh No sir! This is done over a period of time. But frequency in last six months has increased!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Aah !! There are you are, stirring the need to do the western ghats this rainy season again. Ideally the best time to do the trip would be towards the end of the monsoons. Sometime in August is ideal. Being the city bred humans, it would be quite difficult to cope up with the torrential rains and the leeches.

Considering the fact that the shiradi ghat roads is in pristine condition, its ideal to embark on a journey via that route. Deviate at dharmasthala and then drive north along the coast line. Make the choice of driving via the NH-17 or stick to the ghats.
Both routes wouldn't let you down, coz your drive back to bangalore would be via the western ghats again.

Just in case you guys have missed it, here is another thread I did with my older baleno : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kundapura.html
I agree. The region can be explored through out the year. If you want to experince rain go during monsoons. Mid August is also a very good time when you can also be lucky to see Jog falls in full glory.

Also one can comfortbaly club Chikkamagalur with Tirthahalli and explore Malnad in real sense. The road between Chikkamagalur and Tirthahahlli is winding and has beautiful vistas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Fauji, amazing work, thanks a ton for this. A clarification - I thought Kudachadri was very near to the Kollur temple, you have mentioned a separate day for this. Could you also suggest a 5 day itenery including the best of the drives and nature.

Thanks
VW
Yes, it is a small deviation from Nittur on Tirthahalli - Kollur road. The reason is you have to trek to Kodachadri and sunset there is amazing. Thus you may have to devote a day to enjoy the beauty.

For five days including deaprting day and returning day, here is what you can do.

Day 1 - Leave Bangalore in the morning and reach Tirthahalli for Lunch. It is a comfortable six hours drive. Have breakfast enroute either at Tiptur (Kamat) or Arsikere (Raghavendra Lodge) or Kadur (Vinayaka Cafe) or Birur (Preethi Canteen). On the way visit Amritapura - five KMs from Tarikere for its famous Hoysala temple. In the evening go around town, visit Bheemanakatte for a quiet evening by Tunga river.

Day 2 - Tirthahalli - Kundadri - Agumbe - Tirthahalli

Day 3 - Tirthahalli - Sringeri - Horanadu - Kuppali - Chbbalagudde -Tirthahalli

Day 4 - Tirthahalli - Kollur -Sigandur - Linganamakki back waters - Tirthahalli

Day 5 - You can just do a morning trek to Kavale durga, have lunch and return back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Wow! fantastic thread Fauji.

I will surely plan a trip to Tirthahalli this monsoon. Greatly inspired by the pics you have shared in other threads!

I have already been to Sringeri, Horanadu, Kollur, Kodachadri, Sagara, Jog falls. Also done an awesome monsoon trek near sagara visiting the basavanabaayi falls, beLLigunDi falls, gooDanagunDi falls.

But there are a lot more places to cover as you mention.

Just wanted to clarify a couple of things

- Whats the best time in these 2-3 months to visit? I mean would it be best during peak monsoon, if so which month is ideal?
- Any issues driving a car like figo around malnad region in the heavy monsoon? Like bad muddy roads with huge potholes?[please keep the figo GC in mind]
Thanks Figo. The best time would be in Mid august since you have Figo. Last august i was driving Fiesta in these areas and the roads were not bad for car. Figo has same GC like Fiesta. It is always better to check the road condition in the area after rain before venturing out.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 12:12   #20
BHPian

Fauji : Superb compilation !!!

Also, one can make a visit to Humcha, which has Jain temples and also to Ambutheertha, the birthplace of river Sharavathi.

Also, one can visit Tyavarekoppa ( nearer to Shimoga) which has a mini safari with Lions & Tigers.

Also, if you can share with us some details regarding accomodation, that will be highly appreciated.
Old 10th June 2011, 12:32   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Actually, this trip didn't happen in November. But I do have many monsoon threads.

Agumbe in Monsoon:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...mbe-ghats.html (Cooling system testing in Agumbe Ghats)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...s-part-ii.html (Cooling system test in Agumbe Ghats - Part II)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-page-2-a.html (White Water Rafting in Sita River (Photos added on Page 2))

Chikmagalur: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...-otr-meet.html (Muthodi Forest Drive: The post-OTR meet that became part-OTR meet)

Sakleshpur: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...isle-ghat.html (Monsoon Offroading/Trail-driving in Sakleshpur and Bisle Ghat)
Sharavathy valley: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...alley-otr.html (Sharavathy Valley OTR)

All the above except for the last two can be done in any car.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th June 2011 at 12:36.
Old 10th June 2011, 13:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Fauji : Superb compilation !!!

Also, one can make a visit to Humcha, which has Jain temples and also to Ambutheertha, the birthplace of river Sharavathi.

Also, one can visit Tyavarekoppa ( nearer to Shimoga) which has a mini safari with Lions & Tigers.

Also, if you can share with us some details regarding accomodation, that will be highly appreciated.
Thanks Rajesh for adding to the list. Yes, Humcha can be visited on the way to Sagara from Tirthahalli. We went to Ambutheertha and were little disappointed as there is nothng but a small pond. Here is the picture.

Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?-ambu.jpg

Tyavarekoppa is part of Shettihalli WLS and a must visit place.

I have given details about stay options in one of the posts on this thread. Pls take a look at that. Send me a PM if you need any further information.
Old 10th June 2011, 13:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
During monsoon when visiting the plantation, we apply lime juice into our legs n foot. This keep the leeches away from sticking to your legs.
Done more than 20 trekking in monsoon season, my experience.
nothing works except Lime powder. You won't apply it before hand though. You carry lime powder along with you, and if you see any leeche stuck, just put it nears its mouth! Leeches will leave.

Quote:
No it's not possible to drive in car to Kodachadri, Jeep / 4*4 suv will take you to the hills.
In summer I heard you can take it till top. But in rainy season you can take, till base where there is one small hotel exists. From this point you have 1 climb, its ~1km away from guest house at the top!
Old 13th June 2011, 17:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Fauji,
This is one of the best guide that i could ever lay my eyes on. Have saved it on my favourites folder. Very comprehensive & informative. Been many a times to Malnad but should say this will be my marker going forth.
No matter how many ever times i go to malnad i keep coming back for more. Its got something addictive to it. And yes the leeches
Old 14th June 2011, 21:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Mahesh.

Yes, you are right. This region is beautiful at any time of the year. It has a good mix of adventure, wild life, heritage, religion, culture etc. If some one wants to experience rains, then this is the place.
Old 17th June 2011, 16:29   #26
BHPian

Hi Fauji or should I call you the Malnad brand ambassador

I am planning a trip this Monday to Chikmaglur with wife, baby and a friend. This our first trip to this part of the world. We will start from Bangalore on Monday morning and return on Thursday. I require your help in finding a central place to stay to cover the best places wihtout hurrying ourselves. I was considering planter's court as that fits my budget, but I'm OK with a good homestay if its centrally located and does not cost more than Rs 1500-2000/room.
Could also suggest places we can visit with my 8 month old baby (avoiding treks and very bad roads)? Where exactly is the canteen for masal dosa?

Since we have just 2 days to go, I've sent you a PM aswell.

Thanks a ton

VW
Old 20th June 2011, 11:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
I require your help in finding a central place to stay to cover the best places wihtout hurrying ourselves. I was considering planter's court as that fits my budget, but I'm OK with a good homestay if its centrally located and does not cost more than Rs 1500-2000/room.
Could also suggest places we can visit with my 8 month old baby (avoiding treks and very bad roads)? Where exactly is the canteen for masal dosa?

Since we have just 2 days to go, I've sent you a PM aswell.

Thanks a ton

VW
Planter's court is pretty decent and it's in your budget too.
Even the restaurent inside P.Court is good too.
Try Masale dosey in Hotel Ashoka, next to P.Court, Yummy Masala dosa here.
Town canteen is exactly at the North end of I.G Road, Opposite to Polytechnic college. The road is also called as Ratnsgiri boaray(bore) road.
Yummy Dosas here.
Old 20th June 2011, 14:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Town canteen is exactly at the North end of I.G Road, Opposite to Polytechnic college. The road is also called as Ratnsgiri boaray(bore) road.
Yummy Dosas here.
Was in Town canteen two weeks back. They have renovated and made it spacious. There is no more "Drive in service" due to traffic congestion. As usual "Benne (Butter) Masale Dosey" was top class.
Old 20th June 2011, 16:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

What is the latest take on Jog? Is it full?
What is the best time to cover? September?
Old 20th June 2011, 19:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What is the latest take on Jog? Is it full?
What is the best time to cover? September?
Normally the Linganamakki rrsrvoir will get filled up by Mid august and overflow into river happen then. Keep looking at newspapers which will publish the picturs of Jog in glory. I will also try and post once I get information from friends in Malnad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks