Team-BHP - Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Monsoon is here, why not drive to Malnad? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/102462-monsoon-here-why-not-drive-malnad.html)

Yes. Monsoons are here!

This is the best time to see Western ghats and experience rain especially in the Malnad region of Tirthahalli in Karnataka. It is still unexplored and a place for some one who loves driving. Having been to Tirthahalli and surroundings many times, here is the recommended itenerary. Of course, this region can be visited throughout the year as well.

Make Tirthahalli as base (Thirthahalli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - it is centrally located and has good stay options - and you can comfortably plan for four to five days of outing. It is also a area which receives heavy rain fall. Here is the recommended itenerary.

Day 1 - Leave Bangalore in the morning and reach Tirthahalli for Lunch. It is a comfortable six hours drive. Have breakfast enroute either at Tiptur (Kamat) or Arsikere (Raghavendra Lodge) or Kadur (Vinayaka Cafe) or Birur (Preethi Canteen). On the way visit Amritapura - five KMs from Tarikere for its famous Hoysala temple. In the evening go around town, visit Bheemanakatte for a quiet evening by Tunga river.

Amritapura - Amrutesvara Temple, Amruthapura - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Day 2 - Tirthahalli - Kundadri - Agumbe - Tirthahalli

Experience the fury of rain and wind on Kundadari - you can drive up the hill and enjoy panoramic view, visit Agumbe Rain Forest research station for King Cobra etc, visit Jogi gundi and Koodlu Theerta water falls, walk on the streets where Swami and his friends walked in Malgudi Days:), return back to Tirthahalli in evening. You may not be able to see beautiful sunset at Agumbe during monsoons.

Route map - Google Maps

Kundadri pics - deepsan: Magical morning at Kundadri Betta
Agumbe - Agumbe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Agumbe Rainforest research station - ::.Agumbe - Rainforest Research Station

Day 3 - Tirthahalli - Sringeri - Horanadu - Kuppali - Chbbalagudde -Tirthahalli

A beautiful drive. Have early breakfast or better have break fast at Sringeri. Visit temple and Ashram - don't miss seeing Award winning architecture of Sanskrit Pathashala. Drive to Horanadu. Have lunch in temple. After lunch drive back to Tirthahalli and on the way after Koppa, visit the beautifully restored heritage house of great kannada poet KUVEMPU as a memoorial for him at Kuppali - good signage is there. Trek to "Kavi Shyla" a small hill - ten minutes trek - adjoining to the memorial to see "Stone Henge" kind of structure done by well known artist K T Shivaprasad. Enjoy the beautiful view of Sahyadris from the top. Return back to Tirthahalli

Route Map - Google Maps

Kuppali - Kuppalli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sringeri - Shringeri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Day 4 - Tirthahalli - Kollur -Sigandur - Linganamakki back waters - Tirthahalli

After early breakfast drive to Kollur. Visit temple. On the way back visit Sigandur Chowdeshwari temple close to back waters. Go to ferry launch area. If ferries are plying hop on to experince the beauty of back waters.

Route Map - Google Maps

Day 5 - Tirthahalli - Kavaledurga - Mani dam - Nagara fort - Tirthahalli

Kavaledurga is a hillock fort close to Tirthahalli with amazing views of Mani reservoir and valleys. After break fast head towards Kavale durga. Trek the hill, enjoy the views. Drive to Mani dam and view beautiful surorundings. On the way back, visit Nagara Fort complex and return to Tirthahalli.

Route map - Google Maps
Kavale durga - The Voice of Greenery: Kavaledurga
YouTube - ‪Video taken from Kauledurga fort near Thirthahalli‬‏
Mani Dam - The Voice of Greenery: Kavaledurga
Nagara Fort - YouTube - ‪Nagara fort‬‏

Day 6 - Tirthahalli - Kodachadri - Tirthahalli

I am not sure of trekking of Kodachadri in Monsoons. If possible do it. Also visit beautiful Hittalamane falls at the fooot hills.

Route map - Google Maps

Kodachadri - The Voice of Greenery: Search results for kodachadri

Day 7 - Tirthahalli - Mandagadde bird sanctuary - Sakrebylu elephant camp - Shettihalli Wild Life sanctuary - Gajanur dam - Tirthahalli

This can be done as a comfortable day trip. Need to check with forest dept whether the Sanctuary will be open during monsoons. The details are in the link below.

Route Map - Google Maps

Shettyhalli WLS - Shettihalli Wildlife Sanctuary

Day 8 - Tirthahalli - Sagara - Jog falls - Tirthahalli

Visit famous temple at Ikkeri on the outskirts of Sagara. Drive to Jog falls. If time permits, come via Soraba and Gudavi to Tirthahalli after vsisting Gudavi bird sanctuary.

Route map - Google Maps

Ikkeri - ikkeri - Google Search

Gudavi - gudavi - Google Search

Day 9 - Return to Bangalore

Deviations

a) If one wants to visit Udupi, then they can deviate from Agumbe or Kollur.

b) If one wants to Murdeshwar and beyond te one can do so after Jog falls. Also there is a nice trek of Kanur fort from Jog falls for which one has to stay in Jog falls.

There are some travelogues by Team BHPians on this region

Air guitar - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...t-so-high.html

Samurai - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ip-agumbe.html

Magiceye - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...um-agumbe.html

Pramod - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-charmadi.html

Riju - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ppilangad.html

Fauji - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-monsoons.html

Lukeskywalker - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kend-trip.html

I welcome any other inputs from BHPians which will help increase the interest in the region.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fauji (Post 2381676)
Yes. Monsoons are here!

Fantastic post. Would need 2-3 monsoons to cover the whole thing. Very very useful post. Thanks a ton.

Prasad

Fantastic, very well compiled !

Quote:

Day 8 - Tirthahalli - Sagara - Jog falls - Tirthahalli
Visit famous temple at Ikkeri on the outskirts of Sagara. Drive to Jog falls. If time permits, come via Soraba and Gudavi to Tirthahalli after vsisting Gudavi bird sanctuary.

1. Keladi temple ( hoysala dynasty ) is also close by.

2. Those interested in theatre / drama - a visit to 'Ninasam' at heggodu near sagara is worthwhile. The group was started by Magsaysay award winner K V Subanna.

3. Water sports at Honnemarudu ( Linganamakki backwaters )

Quote:

Deviations
a) If one wants to visit Udupi, then they can deviate from Agumbe or Kollur.
b) If one wants to Murdeshwar and beyond te one can do so after Jog falls. Also there is a nice trek of Kanur fort from Jog falls for which one has to stay in Jog falls.

A short sprint to siddapura and Sirsi and one could explore numerous waterfalls - keppa joga ( lushington, unchalli ) - ammenalli ghat, baradu joga and benne hole falls ( devimane ghat ), Magod falls ( yellapura ) and other places - Sonda ( Sri Vadiraja mutt ), Banavasi ...

Would add more as i recollect.

Thanks for sharing.

Fauji - Excellent information. Very very useful. I couldnt stop at just hitting the "Thanks" button. Thanks heaps for this.

Awesome. Back in 2002, a few of us went trekking to Kodachadri. That was in September, when the monsoons had just subsided. But right now, I think the rains would make trekking even more difficult. And yes, lots and lots of leaches.

I also went by bike to Kemmannugundi in July 2007. Those who prefer riding a bike, can do that. The mornings did not have any rain then, but the fog was so thick that I could not even see beyond five meters or so! And then it started pouring. Torrential rains! It was extremely difficult to ride the bikes, and yet we did (very slowly).

This experience cannot be explained in words. Just feel it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by prasad14 (Post 2382239)
Fantastic post. Would need 2-3 monsoons to cover the whole thing. Very very useful post. Thanks a ton.

Prasad

Thanks Prasad. You were planning a trip to these areas in monsoons. Is it still on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by roamingrao (Post 2382388)
Fantastic, very well compiled !

1. Keladi temple ( hoysala dynasty ) is also close by.

2. Those interested in theatre / drama - a visit to 'Ninasam' at heggodu near sagara is worthwhile. The group was started by Magsaysay award winner K V Subanna.

3. Water sports at Honnemarudu ( Linganamakki backwaters )

A short sprint to siddapura and Sirsi and one could explore numerous waterfalls - keppa joga ( lushington, unchalli ) - ammenalli ghat, baradu joga and benne hole falls ( devimane ghat ), Magod falls ( yellapura ) and other places - Sonda ( Sri Vadiraja mutt ), Banavasi ...

Would add more as i recollect.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Rao sir.

Yes, Heggodu is a must if you are a culture buff. "NINASAM" repertory for Kannada Theatre conducts theatre workshop on a regular basis as well as have shows in the evening. Every year, during the month of October they have cultural festiavl for a week which is eagerly awaited by anyone who is interetesd in culture issues as there will be excellent workshops, seminars, music and theatre. all done in a very informal way.

Ninasam Tirugata

When you are in Heggodu, one should also visit CHARAKA, the rural developmenet project initiated by famous theatre personality Sri Prasanna. You might have visited DESI stores in Bangalore well known for handloom kurtas and other textiles. It is manufactured in Heggodu.

Charaka

Apart from Keladi, if one is taking a deviation towards Soraba - Sirsi, Banavasi is a must visit for ancient temple of Madhukeshwara built by Kadambas.
Banavasi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One can stay in home stays in Banavasi which are part of Rural tousrim project of Govt of India
Explore Rural India | Banavasi

Also, another excellent temple complex is in Balligavi very close to Soraba. Look at my post here on it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...und-jog-2.html

After completion of Monsoon, one can also venture for river rafting on Sita river in Agumbe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkrishnakj (Post 2382752)
Fauji - Excellent information. Very very useful. I couldnt stop at just hitting the "Thanks" button. Thanks heaps for this.

Thanks Krishna. Nice to hear that it has been useful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohanjf (Post 2382789)
Awesome. Back in 2002, a few of us went trekking to Kodachadri. That was in September, when the monsoons had just subsided. But right now, I think the rains would make trekking even more difficult. And yes, lots and lots of leaches.

I also went by bike to Kemmannugundi in July 2007. Those who prefer riding a bike, can do that. The mornings did not have any rain then, but the fog was so thick that I could not even see beyond five meters or so! And then it started pouring. Torrential rains! It was extremely difficult to ride the bikes, and yet we did (very slowly).

This experience cannot be explained in words. Just feel it!

Thanks Rohan. I did not want to write about leeches and scare people away:). Yes, leeches are part of life during monsoons and that should not deter anyone venturing out in these areas!!

Stay Options

There are good options for stay in Tirthahalli. Riju has mentioned about Vihangama in his TL. I have mentioned about Bananki in my TL where we have stayed couple of times and is very good.

www.travelmalnad.com list out some good options for stay in Tirthahalli. Take a look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fauji (Post 2383095)
Thanks Rohan. I did not want to write about leeches and scare people away:). Yes, leeches are part of life during monsoons and that should not deter anyone venturing out in these areas!!

Oops! I am so sorry!

Locals have a way to keep leeches away. They mix snuff with coconut oil and apply it arms and legs. The pungent smell of snuff keeps the leeches away, and oil makes sure that it does not get washed off.

By the way, will mosquito repellent creams work when it comes to leeches? I have never tried though :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohanjf (Post 2383233)
Oops! I am so sorry!

Locals have a way to keep leeches away. They mix snuff with coconut oil and apply it arms and legs. The pungent smell of snuff keeps the leeches away, and oil makes sure that it does not get washed off.

By the way, will mosquito repellent creams work when it comes to leeches? I have never tried though :)

Yes, odomos works very well. We use it on an everyday basis during monsoon, in our plantation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandan (Post 2384060)
Yes, odomos works very well. We use it on an everyday basis during monsoon, in our plantation.

Thanks Chandan. That is really a good information and will help a lot.

Wow is the only word to describe this one from FAUJI!

The views of the Linganamahakki reservoir from the Fort are great.

Is it possible for a normal car to drive upto Kodachadiri?

Is the point where you take a car/ mobike ferry somewhere in these parts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fauji (Post 2383095)
Thanks Prasad. You were planning a trip to these areas in monsoons. Is it still on?

Yes Poorna its ON very much. Just that I'm stuck in very hot (38deg) weather in Austin! The plan is not to drive, but take a night bus and park ourselves in a good place (like Bananki as you suggested) and almost do nothing, but enjoy the rains and go for small hikes, plantation walks. But your post is making us relook at the plan and drive around instead. Hard to decide.

Prasad

We took the option of visiting the following places enroute with Amritapura, Koodli, Shimoga Nayak's Palace, St Peters Basilica, Sanctuary, Hosgunda, Kelladi, Ikkeri, Jog falls, Chandragutti, Banavasi, Kotipura, Balligavi, Talagunda and exclusive Bandalike, it was a lovely trip and returned via NH4. The night halts were at Bhadravathi, Sagar and Harihar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 2384272)
Wow is the only word to describe this one from FAUJI!

The views of the Linganamahakki reservoir from the Fort are great.

I think you can take the car only half the distance and after that you have to trek.

Yes, you can take the car in ferry on backwaters in two places. One near Kasavalli near Sigandur and other five KMs from Nittur. Kasavalli is better as frequency is more due to famous temple there. We had gone on the launch from Nittur in last august and i had posetd the pictures of my fiesta in the ferry on this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-malnad-2.html

@Fauji, Jealous of you ...
How many trips to Maland do you do ?
Quote:

Originally Posted by rohanjf (Post 2383233)
Locals have a way to keep leeches away. They mix snuff with coconut oil and apply it arms and legs.

During monsoon when visiting the plantation, we apply lime juice into our legs n foot. This keep the leeches away from sticking to your legs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 2384272)

No it's not possible to drive in car to Kodachadri, Jeep / 4*4 suv will take you to the hills.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar

Yes cars, mobike, jeeps even buses etc are ferried.. At Kalasavally near Sigandhur , one has to take ferry to cross the backwaters of Lingamakki reservoiur. For ferrying The barge/ferry at this place is quite frequent here.

@FAUJI well covered. I have been planning a trip and this will come in handy. Thanks and keep it coming chief!