Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2016, 01:11   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pet safety in cars: can anything be done to ensure safety of animals in car journeys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Also I understand animals are not to everyone's interests, but to me my dog is an extension of my family and so please do not be insensitive in suggesting ideas if you do not like animals! Cheers!
Animals are among many member's interests, and I understand perfectly what you're saying hence hoping that you'd get exactly what I'm saying as well.

Dogs are happy-go-lucky, imaginative and loving animals who need their own space. If your dog loves car drives, great. I've seen that use of safety buckle in videos, mostly done by Americans but that solution is at best.. a rudimentary safety routine. Its almost the equivalent of tying a rope around our belly and to the seat to hold us back.. unscientific yet clumsily just does the job of stopping gravity.

Dogs aren't really meant to be seated over long journeys.. an hour or 2 max and that's it. They should NEVER sit on the seat, again its the equivalent of us crouching and sleeping on the floor of the car.. our bodies aren't made for crouching and likewise with them and the human-seats. They preferably need a flat floor, comfy cushioning on all 4 sides and of course.. careful considerate driving on the part of their owner. If its your wish to drive around with your best friend then I suggest you change the car ASAP. Also remember that dogs feel insecure when they're not provided what they want.. so keep a water-bowl handy along with biscuits and/or jerky snacks.

Above all the golden rule - DRIVE SLOW, DRIVE SAFE. Its the ONLY way for ultimate safety, of yours, others and the ones you love. No harm doing the best you ought to, is there?
Old 17th October 2016, 16:37   #32
BHPian

Re: Pet safety in cars: can anything be done to ensure safety of animals in car journeys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
I would like to get an opinion from people here with regards to ensuring the safety of animals in cars. I intend to buy a 7-seater to replace my Honda City ZX just so that my dog can have the last row to himself, and also keep him as far away from frontal impacts as possible when I eventually do take him on highway trips. Also I understand animals are not to everyone's interests, but to me my dog is an extension of my family and so please do not be insensitive in suggesting ideas if you do not like animals! Cheers!
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. This is exactly why we bought a crate for our little Hazel an English Cocker Spaniel. The crate fits the rear seat space and we use the rear passenger seat-belt and middle row buckle to secure the crate in place.

Since Jan 2016 We've covered over 15,000 km across India with Hazel in both our Tata Nano and Skoda Rapid. On one of our return trips, she had to adjust in the middle-row between two adults. Every bridge joint and rumble strip became a nightmare for the little thing. I may buy a bigger car/MAV/SUV if more that three humans intend to travel in one car. Seat-belts / harnesses for dogs are good only from a door-open runaway kinda situations. Crate is the best, as it becomes a safe space of their own. We let Hazel use the crate 3 nights a week to sleep-in. Overtime the crate comes out she wants to occupy it. So much so we have to hide it from her.

I have friends who own two Golden Retrievers. The Safari's boot space + 3rd row is dedicated to two large crates... they don't need seatbelts :P too tight of a space for the crates to move. Plus the rear seat acts as a barrier. If you don't have an SUV or Cannot Fit a crate properly in your rear seat(s); I would strongly recommend using the 'Hammock' that uses front seat head restraints to attach on one side and rear-seat head restraints for the other.

See Guidance for Dimensions of Container
http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/l...ges/index.aspx

PS: Do Not be fooled by IATA Crate sizes provided by manufacturers/dealers WRT Breed/Weight etc. IATA Does Not approve any crates / crate model / manufacturer. See their website to calculate suitable size for your pet. You could use the same crate for transporting them via air if the need arises.
Attached Thumbnails
Travelling with Pets in India-img_20151202_225000.jpg  

Travelling with Pets in India-img_20150705_1932312.jpg  

proxax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 06:04   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Travelling with Pets in India

My dogs like to lie down in the back with the seats down
The Yeti is useful for this but they do get cramped because they are both quite big dogs.
In my Bolero they used to lie on the rear seat. In the Scorpio one could roll over the rear seat and there was tons of space for them to lurk.
In the Gypsy they used to lie in the rear area.

All these vehicles are good for taking the dogs for rides.
But for long rides or when moving from city to city, nothing beats a Gypsy or Scorpio from the vehicles that I have experienced here in India.

But yes, one must drive slowly and calmly and stop frequently for water breaks and other bio breaks and so on. Life is but a journey. When travelling with pets don't try and beat the clock, enjoy the journey.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 18:25   #34
BHPian

Travel to Himachal or Uttarakhand with pet

I reside in Greater Noida and am planning a trip to either Himachal Pradesh or Uttarakhand on 24th - 26th Dec. We will be 3 adults + 1 dog (Labrador). I have been with her to Binsar, Mukhteshwar, in the past, and have put my due diligence in sourcing pet friendly accommodations. Preference is a bit offbeat, however not completely remote, there should be at least a decent marketplace and some sightseeing spots.

I generally prefer Uttarakhand since it is easier to get on the highway and head off, than HP where I need to cross Delhi and then get on the highway, it actually counts a lot while returning, when spirits and energy are low and you do not want to get stuck in the never ending Delhi traffic.

Can someone suggest me places, I am open to both HP and Uttarakhand as per my requirements above.
Old 6th April 2023, 09:56   #35
BHPian

Is there any restrictions in traveling with pets in car through wildlife sancturies and tiger reserves? Has anyone travelled via Bandipur, Mudumalai reserves with pets in own car?
Old 10th April 2023, 14:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Is there any restrictions in traveling with pets in car through wildlife sancturies and tiger reserves? Has anyone travelled via Bandipur, Mudumalai reserves with pets in own car?
Updated: We drove through bandipur and mudumalai. There was no checking at both places and went without any issues. But i am still not sure what's the forest rule book on this matter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks