Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Route Query - Badrinath and Valley of Flowers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/102821-route-query-badrinath-valley-flowers.html)

sanjaykaul 13th June 2011 17:44

Route Query - Badrinath and Valley of Flowers
 
I am planning a trip to Badrinath jee and VOF next week (will start from Noida Saturday 18th Jun- God willing). I am Planing to take the Haridwar, Rishikesh, Srinagar, Rudraprayag, Karnaprayag, Joshimath, Badrinath route.

I have few queries, if you could shed some light.

1. From Rishikesh, Is it better to go Via Devaprayag or Via Tehri. I spoke to people to GMVN Delhi and they said Devaprayag is the best way. Google maps thinks otherwise (obviously, somebody at Google took that route)

2. Do you think one can drive comfortably (OK, can stretch a little) from Noida to Srinagar (Via Devprayag) in one day. I will be starting as early as 5:00 AM from Noida. I have driven in hills before (Have done Kumaon and Himachal partially before. I belong to Kashmir:))

3. I am assuming that Google Maps is not updated for reality and NH58 is the best way to Srinagar from Rishikesh via Devprayag. (Google goes via Puri)

4. How are the roads (if anybody has recent updates)

Thanks so much for your answers.
(Sanjay Kaul)

Turbanator 13th June 2011 21:23

re: Route Query - Badrinath and Valley of Flowers
 
Hi

I traveled 2 years back and the roads ahead of Rishikesh were bad at that time , I will advise you to leave from Noida late in night around 11 or so , you beat all U.P traffic & reach Rishikesh on time for check post to allow you journey ahead - if i recollect correctly they allow only after 4 Am or so , you can have a quick nap for 1-2 hours at Srinagar and than travel all the way to Badrinath on time for evening Aarti . If you want to cover this journey in 2 days then you should stay at Rishikesh where you will get plenty of Hotels , Srinagar is a small town .

You can go directly to Srinagar from Rishikesh via Devprayag . They have another Check post at Joshimath where they allow one way traffic . You should plan journey in a way to avoid time wastage in waiting at this check post .

Have a look at below link

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/trav...rinath-t33223/

IQBAL VEERJI 13th June 2011 22:06

re: Route Query - Badrinath and Valley of Flowers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjaykaul (Post 2389786)
I am planning a trip to Badrinath jee and VOF next week (will start from Noida Saturday 18th Jun- God willing). I am Planing to take the Haridwar, Rishikesh, Srinagar, Rudraprayag, Karnaprayag, Joshimath, Badrinath route.

I have few queries, if you could shed some light.

1. From Rishikesh, Is it better to go Via Devaprayag or Via Tehri. I spoke to people to GMVN Delhi and they said Devaprayag is the best way. Google maps thinks otherwise (obviously, somebody at Google took that route)

2. Do you think one can drive comfortably (OK, can stretch a little) from Noida to Srinagar (Via Devprayag) in one day. I will be starting as early as 5:00 AM from Noida. I have driven in hills before (Have done Kumaon and Himachal partially before. I belong to Kashmir:))

3. I am assuming that Google Maps is not updated for reality and NH58 is the best way to Srinagar from Rishikesh via Devprayag. (Google goes via Puri)

4. How are the roads (if anybody has recent updates)

Thanks so much for your answers.
(Sanjay Kaul)

Yes dear,Deoprayag route is the best and most prefered,I have been taking same route every year for the last 32 yrs to go to Sri Hemkunt Sahib and Badrinath ji.:)
Yes you can easily travel till Srinagar same day , if you start from noida at 5.00 AM ,then you will reach srinagar by 4.30 to 5 PM ,if stoppages on the way are minimum.
You may first stop at Cheetal Grand at Khatauli, next stop can be Rishikesh, and second last stop before srinagar , you may stop at Deoprayag.

You can stay at GMVN Centre ,it is located on main road itself near a cinema hall and opposit Menka Hotel.

They have double, triple, four beds, and dormitaries also,But rates are as per season of Yatra , during september they charge 1100/- for ten bed dormitary. Better book in advance from Noida itself.

Next day start your journey at 5.30 AM .from Srinagar , with just biscuites and tea in the morning.
First halt again maybe rudraprayag for Bfast.
Next halt for Lunch will be at PIPALKOTI, have lunch at either hotel Vikrant or the one opposite to it, prefer the opposit one as he has retiering rooms and toilets also.
After lunch you may go at rear portion of the restaurant where he has rooms with bath ,you may relax a bit for few minutes.
Pls do not waste much time here and proceed furthur to Joshimath, for the 12.00 pm gate or 2.00 PM gate.
From here onwards it is a decend to govindgaht and Pandukeshwar.

From Pandukeshwar you will be on the most dangerous and path full of Slush, LAND SLIDES PORN AREAS, namely LAMBAGARH. This place is having land slides almost daily.Here be prepared to face a land slide or land slides which may take few hrs or a full day or days and worst may take few weeks,to clear as it happened many years back.But then this is called YATRA.
There is a saying in the hills that without facing one or two land slides your Yatra is incomplete.

Finally reach SRI BADRINATH JI, "JAI BADRI VISHAL"

The driving on this road is not difficult nowadays.but drive carefully, give way and preference to accesending vehicles.

Never fight or argue with bus , taxi, jeep taxi, truck drivers.

Keep a eagle eye on left side of the road which is a deep hill down. Never go too far away at the edge of the road.

Keep a can of petrol spare with you, petrol is available at Karan paryag, Rudraparayg, apart from sri nagar and Joshimath.

DRIVE SAFE "BOLO JAI BADRI VISHAL"

wanderernomad 14th June 2011 22:27

Re: Route Query - Badrinath and Valley of Flowers
 
Jai Iqbal veerji for such a precise route description. Now that you know the route Ill just pitch in with a few tips for the VOF sojourn.
1. Leave early in the morning from Ghangaria so that you can cover a larger area.
2. Be advised that you will not be able to carry any bags, water bottle or eatables inside.
3. There would not be much to see at this time in VOF, where the ideal time is July end or august.

hvkumar 15th June 2011 10:12

Re: Route Query - Badrinath and Valley of Flowers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjaykaul (Post 2389786)
I am planning a trip to Badrinath jee and VOF next week (will start from Noida Saturday 18th Jun- God willing). I am Planing to take the Haridwar, Rishikesh, Srinagar, Rudraprayag, Karnaprayag, Joshimath, Badrinath route.

I have few queries, if you could shed some light.

1. From Rishikesh, Is it better to go Via Devaprayag or Via Tehri. I spoke to people to GMVN Delhi and they said Devaprayag is the best way. Google maps thinks otherwise (obviously, somebody at Google took that route)

Yes, the best route is Rishikesh-Deoprayag-Rudraparayag.


Quote:

2. Do you think one can drive comfortably (OK, can stretch a little) from Noida to Srinagar (Via Devprayag) in one day. I will be starting as early as 5:00 AM from Noida. I have driven in hills before (Have done Kumaon and Himachal partially before. I belong to Kashmir:))
Yes, that is best, and possible. Lots of KMVN/GMVN hotels in this route, there are at Srinagar or Gauchar, please check web-site. It will make your next day easier.


Quote:

3. I am assuming that Google Maps is not updated for reality and NH58 is the best way to Srinagar from Rishikesh via Devprayag. (Google goes via Puri)
No, Pauri is off the route. GM is wrong again.

Quote:

4. How are the roads (if anybody has recent updates)
Roads are never great in this route. Narrow, has lots of bad sections all the time, faces lots of landslides. Budget for extra time due to landslides and blockades for repairs. Keep extra food in the car always to face any eventuality. Jeep taxis drive like maniacs and please be wary of their high speeds and blind turns.

Your biggest problem is going to be rains that will start now. Road conditions will change dramatically and expect some dislocations in some sectors like Rishikesh-Deoprayag, Joshimath-Badrinath, etc.

Roads beyond Deoprayag are closed after 8 pm till 6 am.

Joshimath-Badrinath traffic is regulated in convoys at certain timings. Please check my log book for details. Therefore, plan to reach Joshimath at that specified time, else you will have to waste 2-3 hours for next convoy or worse, stay back overnight at Joshimath.

VOF is accessible by road only till Govindghat which is half-way between Joshimath & Badrinath. t is a long and tough 14-km walk to Ghanagriya where you have to stay. VOF itself can be accessed only by day and you have to walk some 5-10 kms inside and return to Ghangariya the same day. Accomodation is limited at Ghangariya (try GMVN/KMVN), but because of Hemkund Saheb nearby, the gurudwara always offers acco to anyone.

In case you have not seen my log book, please check here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...76649123&guest

and

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...55332981&guest

roy_libran 15th June 2011 11:45

Re: Route Query - Badrinath and Valley of Flowers
 
1. The route via Devprayag, Karnprayag, Devprayag is best. Been there, done that. Route via Tehri is slower.
2. Road conditions after Rishikesh are unpredictable. You will definitely not find any stretch where you can maintain a consistently decent speed. This zone is prone to a lot of landslides. But, the stretch is definitely driveable.
3. My take on doability in 1 day is: You can do it with 2 drivers, and if you start from Noida at night, to reach Haridwar by 5 a.m., and then push on from there. That way, you can reach Joshimath by 2 p.m. (if you don't get stuck in a landslide). There is no chance of making it, if you start from Noida at 5 a.m. Doing this entire stretch with 1 driver, in 1 day is very exhausting and fatiguing. You should always err on the side of caution.
4. If you find yourself stuck at Joshimath, you can easily get a hotel there. There are lots of them. Or, take the cable car up to Auli and stay in one of the resorts over there.

Or, follow Iqbal's plan and stop-over at Srinagar.

sanjaykaul 15th June 2011 14:05

Re: Route Query - Badrinath and Valley of Flowers
 
Turbanator, IQBAL VEERJI, Wanderernomad, H V Kumar, , roy_libran, thanks so much for the reply.

Just a little clarification.

I am not at all planning to drive to Badrinath Jee from Noida in One day. That would be superman stuff and I am not the one:).

I am planning Noida to Srinagar (maximum) on Day one (might even stay back at Rishikesh). This is only to make rest of the days easier.

Your insight into the whole travel is inspiring. My only low point about this trip is that Valley will not be in full bloom in June but I canít help that.

Though best for VOF, monsoon has its own challenges (road condition, school vacations) and my Kid and wife will not travel after July 1st week:Frustrati.

Letís hope for the best.
Regards
Sanjay Kaul

roy_libran 15th June 2011 14:23

Re: Route Query - Badrinath and Valley of Flowers
 
Sanjay - Your profile says that you are driving a Zen (unless you never bothered to update the same). In case you are, you should be a bit careful with the land-slides, and budget for additional time in case you get stuck in a landslide. Push on to Srinagar on day one, if you can. Quite do-able. I was driving a Sumo when I went there, and I had a terrible time, getting through some Landlide zones. With Zen's GC, things might be a bit more tricky.

All the best on your trip and look forward to a travelogue.

micrographics 15th June 2011 14:24

Re: Route Query - Badrinath and Valley of Flowers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI (Post 2390127)
Yes dear,Deoprayag route is the best and most prefered,I have been taking same route every year for the last 32 yrs to go to Sri Hemkunt Sahib and Badrinath ji.:)
Yes you can easily travel till Srinagar same day , if you start from noida at 5.00 AM ,then you will reach srinagar by 4.30 to 5 PM ,if stoppages on the way are minimum.
You may first stop at Cheetal Grand at Khatauli, next stop can be Rishikesh, and second last stop before srinagar , you may stop at Deoprayag.

You can stay at GMVN Centre ,it is located on main road itself near a cinema hall and opposit Menka Hotel.

They have double, triple, four beds, and dormitaries also,But rates are as per season of Yatra , during september they charge 1100/- for ten bed dormitary. Better book in advance from Noida itself.

Next day start your journey at 5.30 AM .from Srinagar , with just biscuites and tea in the morning.
First halt again maybe rudraprayag for Bfast.
Next halt for Lunch will be at PIPALKOTI, have lunch at either hotel Vikrant or the one opposite to it, prefer the opposit one as he has retiering rooms and toilets also.
After lunch you may go at rear portion of the restaurant where he has rooms with bath ,you may relax a bit for few minutes.
Pls do not waste much time here and proceed furthur to Joshimath, for the 12.00 pm gate or 2.00 PM gate.
From here onwards it is a decend to govindgaht and Pandukeshwar.

From Pandukeshwar you will be on the most dangerous and path full of Slush, LAND SLIDES PORN AREAS, namely LAMBAGARH. This place is having land slides almost daily.Here be prepared to face a land slide or land slides which may take few hrs or a full day or days and worst may take few weeks,to clear as it happened many years back.But then this is called YATRA.
There is a saying in the hills that without facing one or two land slides your Yatra is incomplete.

Finally reach SRI BADRINATH JI, "JAI BADRI VISHAL"

The driving on this road is not difficult nowadays.but drive carefully, give way and preference to accesending vehicles.

Never fight or argue with bus , taxi, jeep taxi, truck drivers.

Keep a eagle eye on left side of the road which is a deep hill down. Never go too far away at the edge of the road.

Keep a can of petrol spare with you, petrol is available at Karan paryag, Rudraparayg, apart from sri nagar and Joshimath.

DRIVE SAFE "BOLO JAI BADRI VISHAL"


Hi Iqbal,

since the opening of Meerut-Muzzafarnagar, bye pass, Cheetal grand is no where on the route. Now only Moolchand resort is there for food/rest.

sanjaykaul 15th June 2011 14:45

Re: Route Query - Badrinath and Valley of Flowers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_libran (Post 2392564)
Sanjay - Your profile says that you are driving a Zen (unless you never bothered to update the same). In case you are, you should be a bit careful with the land-slides, and budget for additional time in case you get stuck in a landslide. Push on to Srinagar on day one, if you can. Quite do-able. I was driving a Sumo when I went there, and I had a terrible time, getting through some Landlide zones. With Zen's GC, things might be a bit more tricky.

All the best on your trip and look forward to a travelogue.

Ahh. Made the change now to SWIFT ZXI but I am not sure if that changes much in terms of GC.

IQBAL VEERJI 16th July 2011 20:22

Re: Route Query - Badrinath and Valley of Flowers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 2391689)
Jai Iqbal veerji for such a precise route description. Now that you know the route Ill just pitch in with a few tips for the VOF sojourn.
1. Leave early in the morning from Ghangaria so that you can cover a larger area.
2. Be advised that you will not be able to carry any bags, water bottle or eatables inside.
3. There would not be much to see at this time in VOF, where the ideal time is July end or august.

I generally nowadays take horse from Govind ghat to Shri hemkunt Sahib and back.(I do the entire Yatra in one single day).
From Govindghat I start early at 5.30 AM and the horse man take minimum halts and reach Govind dham at about 8.30 AM there I have breakfast and ask the ghode wala to also have B fast with me.
Then in about 40 min rest we start our last journey to Shri Hemkunt Sahib
and reach at about 11 AM for the ARDAS.
I take dip (Dupki) in the sarovar and got to gurudwara and after darshan ,I sit down to listen to KIRTAN ,
After about one and half hrs in the gurudwara I go down to look for my Ghodewala,who is waiting for me already to go down.
We start our downward journey and without halt reach Govind dham by 2.45 PM.
We both have lunch at Govind dham and in the meanwhile I speak to our other members of the jatha (group).who by now have reached Govind dham, Who started late in the morning from G. Ghat.
After lunch it is almost non stop to Govin ghat with about three halts for tea,and reach Govind ghat at 6.00 pm.YATRA ENDS for me , but other group members return after 3 days. I rest all these days at Govind ghat.:).WAHE GURU JI KA KHALSA WAHE GURU JI KI FATEH.........


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:24.