Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2015, 00:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)

Dear BHPians,
I am planning a Delhi- Darbhanga drive in mid November. I am wondering if there is any update available on this route. I guess Delhi-Agra- Kanpur- Lucknow - Faizabad -Gorakhpur should be alright. But not so sure about Gorakhpur- Muzaffarpur Darbhanga. Has anyone done this route lately? I will really appreciate updates on best route and road condition between Gorakhpur- Muzaffarpur- Darbhanga.

Thanks!
Old 16th October 2015, 03:18   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinerant View Post
I will really appreciate updates on best route and road condition between Gorakhpur- Muzaffarpur- Darbhanga.

Thanks!
Mark Gopalgunj on the map & mark it well. Can take at least an hour's time and if you happen to do this after dark, those hours might get multiplied.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 07:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,
I am planning a Delhi- Darbhanga drive in mid November. I am wondering if there is any update available on this route. I guess Delhi-Agra- Kanpur- Lucknow - Faizabad -Gorakhpur should be alright. But not so sure about Gorakhpur- Muzaffarpur Darbhanga. Has anyone done this route lately? I will really appreciate updates on best route and road condition between Gorakhpur- Muzaffarpur- Darbhanga.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Mark Gopalgunj on the map & mark it well. Can take at least an hour's time and if you happen to do this after dark, those hours might get multiplied.

Someone known to me did this stretch on way to Darjeeling from Delhi in September in a Wagon R and he was not happy with the roads around Gopalganj. I think that nothing has changed in last 3-4 years. Which car will you be taking? A point worth remembering is that in NCR, the sunlight goes away around 6ish but this side being more east, it fades away about an hour earlier. Moreover, in November it'll be much earlier. I'll suggest to start early from Delhi and hit Gorakhpur by evening atleast. Gorakhpur bypass is functional now but taking or not taking it depends on whether you olan to stay put at Gorakhpur or not. Roads are good on that stretch. And then start your journey to Darbhanga with sunlight. In under any circumstance, i'll suggest that DO NOT take your journey post Gorakhpur if its dark because you'll have to go through Gopalganj and as rightly pointed out by Sheel, better not to start past dark. From Pipra to Darbhanga, road is great. Moreover, you dont have to enter the maddening traffic of Muzaffarpur as the Darbhanga bypass for Darbhanga is fully functional. It takes max 1 hour to Darbhanga from Muzaffarpur. The bypass is after Kanti and will be on your left, well marked. Beware of trucks parked in left most lanes. A stretch of road, one side of carriage way was non functional a few months back during monsoons around the Maithi toll plaza. Not sure about it now. Another option is to hit Lucknow and stay put for night. But I feel that Gorakhpur is doable in a day from Delhi. Which place will you be starting from in Delhi? That also has some bearing on your plan. I guess your plan is to visit home for Chhath puja.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 16th October 2015 at 07:37.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 09:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much Sheel. I have heard that the EW corridor could never got completed between Gorakhpur and Siwan. But are you talking about the time one takes in crossing Gopal Ganj town? Or are you talking about this stretch in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Someone known to me did this stretch on way to Darjeeling from Delhi in September in a Wagon R and he was not happy with the roads around Gopalganj. I think that nothing has changed in last 3-4 years. Which car will you be taking?
====
That also has some bearing on your plan. I guess your plan is to visit home for Chhath puja.

Dear Bonecollector, thank you so much for this detailed update. I guess it is best I did this drive in two days spending the night in Lucknow. I was looking at Faizabad as an alternative stop over but looks like it does not have any decent hotels. In Delhi, I will be starting from Mayur Vihar area, which means I do not have to spend time negotiating the Delhi traffic. In any case, as you suggest, I will try to start as early in the morning as possible, approximately about 5AM.

I will be driving my Renault Duster. You reckon Lucknow- Darbhanga stretch can be completed before sunset if one starts early? Please pass on the info if you get any updates about this route.

You are right. I will indeed be going for the Chhath pooja. With train tickets not available, flight tickets exorbitant around this festive season, long jams in crossing the perpetually under- repair Mahatma Gandhi Bridge in Patna, I think it is better to make a driving experience out of this compulsion.

Thank you so very much.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th October 2015 at 11:02. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Old 16th October 2015, 10:57   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But are you talking about the time one takes in crossing Gopal Ganj town? Or are you talking about this stretch in general?
Gopalgunj is the border of UP/Bihar, falling in Bihar's side. Due to some issues, the stretch remains incomplete and is a total mess to travel upon. There is some solace as you would be traveling in a Duster. Post the Gopalgunj sector and having seen some good roads, you will come across Bagha Dhala Road on NH28. There is a bridge over the river Gandak. It is narrow and if a vehicle stuck, you might have to wait. Hence, I advise to do these stretches during day-time.

Quote:
Dear Bonecollector, thank you so much for this detailed update. I guess it is best I did this drive in two days spending the night in Lucknow. I was looking at Faizabad as an alternative stop over but looks like it does not have any decent hotels.
Lucknow to Darbhanga is an easy 10 hour drive with a very relaxed pace & stops.
EDIT
Quote:
Start with an open mind with planned stopover either at Lucknow or Gorakhpur. I feel Delhi to Gorakhpur is doable in a day and Duster might make it easier. But like I said, keep both options in mind. Lucknow to Darbhanga will be easily done in a day. The guys with Wagon R started at 7 am from Lucknow and reached Muzaffarpur by 5:30pm. So Darbhanga should be 6-6:15 if you take into account of bypassing Muzaffarpur. Will info if there is any update that I get.
One of my friend in his fully loaded Verna did Delhi - Gorakhpur in a day, in day-light time and he stuck to 80/90. His Car was completely loaded [moving house]

With a bit of planning, it is doable, but do know your limits and abide by it.

A simple thing I follow which saves a lot of time is, I use washroom at a big bunk & tank up my car there, but NEVER myself. I move over to a dhaba, having multiple trucks parked. Food is fresh & quick, quicker by at least ~30 mins. Do your math. Though if someone is ok & wishes to relax then a restaurant might be preferred.

itinerant - Buddy, do use the multi-quote & edit buttons

Please do read a bit more here

Last edited by Sheel : 16th October 2015 at 11:11.
Old 16th October 2015, 11:01   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I will be driving my Renault Duster. You reckon Lucknow- Darbhanga stretch can be completed before sunset if one starts early? Please pass on the info if you get any updates about this route.
Start with an open mind with planned stopover either at Lucknow or Gorakhpur. I feel Delhi to Gorakhpur is doable in a day and Duster might make it easier. But like I said, keep both options in mind. Lucknow to Darbhanga will be easily done in a day. The guys with Wagon R started at 7 am from Lucknow and reached Muzaffarpur by 5:30pm. So Darbhanga should be 6-6:15 if you take into account of bypassing Muzaffarpur. Will info if there is any update that I get.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 00:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Gopalgunj is the border of UP/Bihar, falling in Bihar's side. Due to some issues, the stretch remains incomplete and is a total mess to travel upon. There is some solace as you would be traveling in a Duster. Post the Gopalgunj sector and having seen some good roads, you will come across Bagha Dhala Road on NH28. There is a bridge over the river Gandak. It is narrow and if a vehicle stuck, you might have to wait. Hence, I advise to do these stretches during day-time.

Lucknow to Darbhanga is an easy 10 hour drive with a very relaxed pace & stops.
EDIT

One of my friend in his fully loaded Verna did Delhi - Gorakhpur in a day, in day-light time and he stuck to 80/90. His Car was completely loaded [moving house]

With a bit of planning, it is doable, but do know your limits and abide by it.

A simple thing I follow which saves a lot of time is, I use washroom at a big bunk & tank up my car there, but NEVER myself. I move over to a dhaba, having multiple trucks parked. Food is fresh & quick, quicker by at least ~30 mins. Do your math. Though if someone is ok & wishes to relax then a restaurant might be preferred.

itinerant - Buddy, do use the multi-quote & edit buttons

Sorry Sheel, I am a newbie and still trying to learn the ropes around here. But thanks for reminding me, which actually made me search and learn the multi-quote option. I am doing it for the first time. I hope it works.

Please do read a bit more here
Quote:
Start with an open mind with planned stopover either at Lucknow or Gorakhpur. I feel Delhi to Gorakhpur is doable in a day and Duster might make it easier. .
Really appreciate your inputs. Let me firm up my plan and I will get back to the thread. But I am sure I am going to have a stop over somewhere because I do not want to end up driving at night time in Gopalganj Chapra sectors.
Old 17th October 2015, 08:25   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am sure I am going to have a stop over somewhere because I do not want to end up driving at night time in Gopalganj Chapra sectors.
Please do, do not strain yourself. Drive as long as you are comfortable in driving & enjoying it. Take a break, stretch, have a cup of tea and please go through this link

Chhapra won't feature on the route
Old 17th October 2015, 23:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Chhapra won't feature on the route
Really? Does that mean the route going to Muzaffarpur does not touch upon Chapra, Sonepur and so on? Is this an outcome of the construction of East-West corridor?
Old 18th October 2015, 06:39   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Really? Does that mean the route going to Muzaffarpur does not touch upon Chapra, Sonepur and so on? Is this an outcome of the construction of East-West corridor?
Yes. It won't.

Delhi - YEW - Agra - Kanpur - Lucknow - Gorakhpur - Gopalgunj - Muzaffarpur - Darbhanga

You have to be on NH-28 from Lucknow onwards. Providing a Google Map link below

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Da...6937!3e0?hl=en
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 07:58   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From Lucknow, you would be taking the NH28 ( aka Faizabad road) to Faizabad -> Ayodhya -> Sahjanwa -> Gorakhpur -> Bihar border -> Gopalganj -> Pipra (from where you take a right turn to stay on to NH28) and then straight to Muzaffarpur. The road doesn't follow the Hajipur-Sonepur-Chhapra-Siwan rail route. There is NH102 to Chhapra from Muzaffarpur but its under repairs and I have no clue about it.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 11:12   #27
BHPian

Thank you for this clarification BoneCollector, and Sheel. I was under the impression that the road route generally follow the train route. Good to know that NH 28 takes me all the way from Lucknow to Darbhanga. I have seen the Darbhanga- Muzaffarpur stretch of this road. If the road is as good through out (except perhaps for Gopalganj area) it should be a smooth ride by and large. Many thanks again.
Old 18th October 2015, 14:11   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for this clarification BoneCollector, and Sheel. I was under the impression that the road route generally follow the train route. Good to know that NH 28 takes me all the way from Lucknow to Darbhanga. I have seen the Darbhanga- Muzaffarpur stretch of this road. If the road is as good through out (except perhaps for Gopalganj area) it should be a smooth ride by and large. Many thanks again.

The roads are pretty good except for the area mentioned. You'll have a good drive especially in Duster.
Wishing you all the best. Have a safe trip. And keep posted.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 18th October 2015 at 14:12.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 22:07   #29
BHPian

Completed my trip to Darbhanga from Delhi and back with a stop over in Lucknow. I am happy to report that construction work on Gopal Ganj section of the NH28 too has started. Now you get a tarmac even on this section for most part, even if it is single carriageway. The bridge on river Gandak between Motihari and Gopal Ganj remains a problem though. It is old and in a bad shape. The problem is aggravated by the fact that the six lane road merge abruptly into a narrow bridge from either side. If a driver is not careful and does not brake quickly enough, he may fing himself in a risky situation because there are no signage to caution the driver about the narrowness of the bridge that lies ahead.

Thank you Sheel and BoneCollector for all your inputs about road conditions.
Old 7th July 2017, 22:34   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Updating this thread after a long while. I did this stretch again from Muzaffarpur to Gurgaon with a stop over in Lucknow. I started from home around 7:45 am on 23rd June and reached Lucknow at around 4:30 pm. The NH28 has some diversions till Pipra-kothi as roads were being repaired. The bridge on Gandak river is still single lane in poor condition. The roads around Gopalganj are still a far cry from being normal. They are under construction but I didn't find much of change in its status since last visit. The roads for about 10 kms are bad, the flyover to bypass Gopalganj is still under construction. The roads in UP are fabulous. The Gorakhpur bypass is a boon. I'll upload snaps and try to narrate.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-1.jpg
Diversions on NH28.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-2.jpg
Diversions on NH28.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-3.jpg
Diversions on NH28.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-6.jpg
Diversion just before the Gandak Bridge.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-9.jpg
The Gandak Bridge in poor shape.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-12.jpg
The Gandak Bridge in poor shape. The under construction bridge next to it has been under construction since I traveled on this 6 years back.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-20.jpg

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-26.jpg
Kind of roads around Gopalganj.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-32.jpg
Check post before entry to UP. Hopefully it'll have lesser trucks after GST.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-34.jpg
Entry to UP.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-35.jpg
Roads in UP.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-37.jpg
Gorakhpur Bypass.

Took a break at Lucknow for the night and thereafter, myself and my elder brother started for Gurgaon at around 8:15 am. We took the Lucknow-Agra Expressway. Its a fantastic, mind-blowing road. Loved the drive on it. It took us 3 hours to reach Agra. Thereafter we took the Yamuna Expressway. The LAE is integrated very well with the YEW. We reached Gurgaon home via Greater Noida expressway - DND - Ring Road - RTR Marg - NH8 at 3:30 pm.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-48.jpg
Entry to Lucknow-Agra Expressway.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-50.jpg
Entry to Lucknow-Agra Expressway.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-51.jpg
Slow moving vehicles, illegal on expressway.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-56.jpg

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-61.jpg
Tractors, very dangerously moving.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-65.jpg
Runway on Expressway with temporary dividers in between.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-66.jpg
Runway on Expressway with temporary dividers in between.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-75.jpg
Just cruising. Enjoyed the cruise control thoroughly. We never crossed 110KMPH even though roads were empty with very sparse traffic.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-94.jpg
Water tanker watering the plants.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-99.jpg
Dust-storm caused by one of the trucks moving in service lane.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-110.jpg
If we have such inviting roads, driving would be lovely.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-113.jpg
Nearing the end of expressway.

Muzaffarpur to Delhi via Gorakhpur-Faizabad-Lucknow-Kanpur-Agra-Palwal (NH2 & 71B)-1-116.jpg
Agra ring road connecting us to the YEW.

Muzaffarpur/ Darbhanga to Delhi / NCR is a 1 day job. It took about 9 hours to Lucknow and 7 hours from Lucknow to Gurgaon. I wasted about 1 and half hour to reach my hotel in Lucknow, so incase you are not stopping, you can easily save at least 1 hour.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 7th July 2017 at 22:39.
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks