Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 13:41   #1
BHPian

Sultanbathery to Madikeri

Hi T-BHPians,

I plan a ride to Coorg from Coimbatore via Sultanbathery.

Could you kindly provide the route details. It is not very clear for me when I look the google directions.

For onward journey, I would take the Ooty-Gudalur-Sultanbathery route and plan to return via Mysore from Coorg. Alternate route suggestions are also welcome.

Could you also comment regarding the road conditions if any of you have travelled recently. Also recommendations for stay (budget Rs.500 per person) at Coorg is appreciated.

I plan to do this trip end July'11.

Thanks.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sultanbathery to Madikeri

You essentially need to get to Kartikulam (on the KA/KL border) to head into Coorg. If you are starting from Bathery, your best bet is to go to Panamaram and then on to Kartikulam.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Last year the road conditions tru kattikulam were very bad, and hence i took a longer via Mysore route. Except for 30 kms, rest is absolutely fine.

Also, how many of you are going. I had stayed at an above average homestay which cost me 1500. For two couples.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:03   #4
BHPian

The best option is to come back to Mysore and drive to Coorg.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
... hence i took a longer via Mysore route
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
The best option is to come back to Mysore and drive to Coorg.
Guys - Going via Mysore will be almost double the distance. I am not sure if it is worth it!
Old 27th June 2011, 19:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys - Going via Mysore will be almost double the distance. I am not sure if it is worth it!
Yes, its double the distance. But, those days, the roads were soo bad, that going through it in car took almost the same time. Not sure of the conditions now.

If you choose, the road, you could go directly from goodaloor to gundelpet. Also, how many are you?
Old 28th June 2011, 10:32   #7
BHPian

Thanks for all your input.

We are 4 people planning for this trip. It would be a motorcycle trip. So we are also considering the weather factor in Coorg next month.

Also is any one aware of the monsoon situation in Coorg.
Old 28th June 2011, 10:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Have you thought of doing Sultan Battery-->Pulpally--> Kaakankote-->HD-Kote--> Hunsur--> Kushalnagar--> Madikeri. I quite don't know the distance, however the whole route is pure bliss.Have done it twice before and loved the drive.

BTW monsoons is the best time to drive/ride through these places.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yes, its double the distance. But, those days, the roads were soo bad, that going through it in car took almost the same time. Not sure of the conditions now.
How long back was this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_4_Fortune View Post
It would be a motorcycle trip. So we are also considering the weather factor in Coorg next month.
In July, you will get heavy rains at Wayanad as well as Coorg. However, if you enjoy rain rides, you will have a blast. Ensure that you have proper rain-protection for yourself as well as your luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Have you thought of doing Sultan Battery-->Pulpally--> Kaakankote-->HD-Kote--> Hunsur--> Kushalnagar--> Madikeri
Coming from Pulpally, where do you hit the Manathawadi-HD Kote? When I did this back in 2001 or so, there was no bridge across Kabini river and we had to take our bikes on small ferries across the river at Perikkallor.

Also, how is the condition of SH33 (from Manathawady to Mysore)?

Last edited by cool_dube : 28th June 2011 at 11:04.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming from Pulpally, where do you hit the Manathawadi-HD Kote? When I did this back in 2001 or so, there was no bridge across Kabini river and we had to take our bikes on small ferries across the river at Perikkallor.
Ask the locals for the road from Pulpally to Payyampally, from Payyampally its one road to Bavali.
BTW things have changed quite a bit from 2001 one. There were times during my school days when people wouldn't hit the SB--Pulpally road once it got dark for the fear of elephants. It aint the same anymore.

Quote:
Also, how is the condition of SH33 (from Manathawady to Mysore)?
No idea after the monsoons have started. Last point I hit on this road was at my in-laws farm at HD kote, pretty good roads till there. I don't think the road beyond would be in shambles coz there is hardly any HTV traffic on this road.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ask the locals for the road from Pulpally to Payyampally, from Payyampally its one road to Bavali.
Got it. So from Pulpally, one has to go all the way till Payyampally after crossing Kabini at Koodalkadavu. I was checking if there is a new bridge somewhere near Bavali or Perikkallor to hit SH33 b/w Kartikulam and HD Kote hand-post.

Ride_4_Fortune - You can take this route till Kartikulam and then check with locals for road conditions from there till Madikeri via Kutta/Srimangala. Please refer to the Google Maps snippet given below.

Quote:
No idea after the monsoons have started. Last point I hit on this road was at my in-laws farm at HD kote, pretty good roads till there. I don't think the road beyond would be in shambles coz there is hardly any HTV traffic on this road.
Are you referring to the stretch between Mysore and HD Kote? Or is it b/w Manathawady and HD Kote?
Attached Thumbnails
Sultanbathery to Madikeri-kl.jpg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 28th June 2011 at 11:32.
Old 12th July 2011, 13:45   #12
BHPian

I am planning this trip the coming weekend.

Could any one kindly let me know the road conditions and weather in Coorg ?

Thanks.
Old 20th July 2011, 13:27   #13
BHPian

I did this trip last week and it was a complete rain ride ! It was raining all day during our journey.

The roads are in good condition till Sultan bathery from Coimbatore (via Annur, Kotagiri, Ooty, Gudalur). The roads are in OK condition till Kattikulam from Sultan bathery. Kaatikulam to Tholapetty via Wayanad WLS is excellant. Tholpetty till Kutta is also OK. Bad roads starts after Kutta and it is bad till Madikeri. Monsoon rain makes it even worse.

Madikeri to Mysore is excellant. Mysore to Chamrajnagar via Nanjangud is in OK condition with some pot holes. Chamrajnagar to Coimbatore is excellant via Thimbam, Hasanur, Bannari, Sathyamangalam, Annur.

Thanks to all for their inputs !
Ride_4_Fortune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 21:18   #14
BHPian

Madikeri-Kutta-Sulthan Bathery .....

Hi, Has any one traveled Madikeri-Kutta-Sulthan Bathery route recently? Need direction and updates regarding the road conditions urgently. Thanks in advance.
Old 20th June 2015, 22:08   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Madikeri-Kutta-Sulthan Bathery .....

Except from Panamaram to S.Bathery, the route is good. Panamaram to S.Bathery is bumpy via Beenachi, and Horrible via Meenangadi.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed