Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 19:19   #1
BHPian

Mulshi to Amby Valley

I am planning on a drive to Korigad fort this weekend. I have seen many reports of a route (some even with maps) from Amby valley to beyond Mulshi (meeting the Tamhini Ghat road), but unable to trace it on Google earth even in a zoomed in state.
While driving on the Tamhini ghat road, i have seen a sharp-climbing-right, which i have heard goes through a beautiful route to lonavala. Unable to trace this road too.
Does a motorable road exist between Amby valley to Mulshi/Tamhini Ghat? We are not offroaders, but have vehicles like Xylo, Santro etc. it is meant to be a trip with kids.
Hoping that maharsahtra experts like @MX6 and @Ashishpallod can help.
Thanks in advance.
Old 30th June 2011, 23:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mulshi to Amby Valley

Of course, I first rode that Amby Valley-Mulshi road by mobike in 1993!
It is very much there, but its condition varies from time to time - my friend broke here Esteem car's axle in that road a couple of years ago, and had to be towed back to Bombay!
The road turns off the Lonavla-Amby Valley road a short distance before the Amby V gates (to the left) and comes out onto Mulshi Lake directly. I have never seen this road on any map.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 11:49   #3
BHPian

I am on a look out for such a route too, from what I have gathered from different sources is there is a route via Ghusalkhamb village but apparently it is in a bad state, even un-tarred for some stretch. Someone who recently did this from Mulshi to Lonavala said it took him 3-4 hours for covering 30 kms which involved crossing some rivulet.
Old 1st July 2011, 16:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

I checked around, one of my friends says the route is "80%" good.
Old 1st July 2011, 17:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I have never seen this road on any map.
Can you check google maps now?
Directions will get enabled after few days though..
Old 29th June 2013, 23:07   #6
BHPian

Does anyone have any updates on this route? I plan to go to Mulshi and this seems to be an interesting option?
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Does anyone have any updates on this route? I plan to go to Mulshi and this seems to be an interesting option?
It isn't a good road - having said that, it is a favourite road of mine, in the rains, in my Gypsy. Very scenic, quiet, lots of places to stop by and enjoy the environment and to have a picnic.

Probably a better road to Mulshi from Lonavala is the one that goes past Pavana. Quite scenic too, and better maintained for the most part.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 14:21   #8

How is the road as of now (Feb/2014)? Appreciate updates, as I wanted to consider taking the Pune --> Mulshi --> Amby Valley route instead of Pune --> Lonvala --> Amby valley route in a sedan with family.
Old 21st February 2014, 11:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvanmisra View Post
How is the road as of now (Feb/2014)? Appreciate updates, as I wanted to consider taking the Pune --> Mulshi --> Amby Valley route instead of Pune --> Lonvala --> Amby valley route in a sedan with family.
I did that route on 2012 Aug and the drive was quite scenic. I did it on my Verna but with only 2 on board. A fully loaded sedan may scrape at some places. Start early as route is not recommended at nights. During monsoons, visibility gets too less and becomes difficult to drive.

Enjoy!
sudeep.pandya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 19:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
I did that route on 2012 Aug and the drive was quite scenic. I did it on my Verna but with only 2 on board. A fully loaded sedan may scrape at some places. Start early as route is not recommended at nights. During monsoons, visibility gets too less and becomes difficult to drive.

Enjoy!
If the road is less than perfect, it's a sure no in a Honda City. Thanks for sharing!
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:51   #11
BHPian

Reviving an old thread here. But has anyone done this recently or since Feb 2014 ?
There are almost no photos from trustworthy sources about the condition and driveability of this stretch.
I've crossed this spot many times which shows a signboard for Lonavala from Tamhini. The only reason I haven't veered off on this road as I own a Fiesta (the earlier ones) which probably is one of the lowest sitting sedans today.
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:03   #12
Team-BHP Support

I did this in July '16 at the peak of the monsoon, having twice attempted it earlier but not completed because of lack of fuel.

Most (I mean, 90%) of the road is a little over 10ft wide. I can say this with confidence because my 4m EcoSport wouldn't fit on the road perpendicular. And hence, it is a one-way street; you'll get a chance to take a u-turn very rarely. Things get tricky is there is an oncoming vehicle; you both look at each other until one of you blinks to reverse till a spot where no cars can pass each other. Luckily, I encountered an oncoming vehicle only twice, and at both times, had a run-off area that gave us extra width.

There's also no shops on the route so you can't stop for a quick bite or a hot chai. The road is mostly broken.

All this said and done, the route is majestic in the rains. All the hills around come alive with lush greenery, the land around the road is filled with a green carpet and small waterfalls and the air is so pure, you'd get a headache!

The Mulshi to Amby Valley is a drive worth doing but it is best enjoyed in the monsoon.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed