Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2011, 23:21   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Shillong - Bhutan : Route Queries

As most frequenting NH 34 would be aware that 4 lane work is in progress and that adds to the chaos.

3 taxis have completed the Calcutta - Dalkola run via Maldah on 20th July and 3 Motorcycles have done it via Dumka. I shall try to speak with both tomorrow and up-date.

From what ever info I have gathered till now is, NH 34 is best avoided and Dumka route is the one to take.

More than 10 people have confirmed about pathetic road condition between Rampurhat and Dalkola.
Old 25th July 2011, 08:05   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
From what ever info I have gathered till now is, NH 34 is best avoided and Dumka route is the one to take.
Please give some more details as what road shall I take to reach Dumka, what will be the distance via Dumka to reach Dalkhola and what may the condition of this road? Will not the Calcutta-Siliguri total distance come out to be more than one thousand KM by this route?
Old 25th July 2011, 23:28   #48
Team-BHP Support

Dalkola-Purnea-Bhagalpur-Dumka-Siuri- Join NH-2 and off to Calcutta.

From Dumka to Calcutta, the distance stands at ~250kms and Dumka to Dalkola is another ~250 kilometers. The distance is the same.(i.e via Maldah or via Dumka)

The NH 34 is completely broken (said in a uniform voice by all taxi drivers who undertook this route)
Old 26th July 2011, 20:51   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how much of it is a four lane divided highway? I drove to Siliguri a couple of months earlier and know that Siliguri-Dalkhola is almost totally a four lane divided road now. But does it remain that way up to Purnea and Bhagalpore? Is it a four lane divided road throughout?

Last edited by rahul4640 : 26th July 2011 at 20:53.
Old 26th July 2011, 23:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Any idea how much of it is a four lane divided highway? I drove to Siliguri a couple of months earlier and know that Siliguri-Dalkhola is almost totally a four lane divided road now. But does it remain that way up to Purnea and Bhagalpore? Is it a four lane divided road throughout?
NH31 is 4-laned as part of the East West Corridor Project and is complete till Purnea. From there, it goes to Forbesganj, Darbhanga & Muzaffarpur, but not Bhagalpur, which is not in the EW Corridor.
Old 26th July 2011, 23:41   #51
Team-BHP Support

Yes, Kumar Sir is right, though the road is complete till Forbesgunj, post which "Work in Progress" is what you would see.

Bhagalpur to Purnea is 90 kilometers and is a single lane road and as of now is decently paved. The monsoon, albeit slowly has begun to take its toll.
Old 27th July 2011, 20:14   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The three extra border crossings:- cause for any concern?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th July 2011, 22:50   #53
Team-BHP Support

I haven't even realized that I am crossing borders. And as long as valid papers are in the Car, it shouldn't be a problem.

Bhagalpur - Purnea can be done at any time of the day/night, though haven't done the rest at night, so can't say. One is safe till 15th August BTW due to the ongoing Shrawani Mela at Deoghar.
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:55   #54
Team-BHP Support

Kumar Sir,

A heartening news for you. I was doing the stretch between Purnea-Muzaffarpur-Purnea yesterday.

Spoke with a few truckies about the road conditions and route. As per them a board is put up where the E-W corridor, stating that the route shall operate in 2012.

And truck drivers (around 20 of them) replied in negative about even Rs. 10 being charged by the cops for chai-paani. I quizzed almost all the truck drivers at the dhaba, the dhaba adjoining it and from dhaba owners too and certainly didn't believe it.

UP cops extort money, Assam and W.B. police are improving, but as per them (no exaggeration ) they felt safest in Bihar and roads, comparatively were in better condition.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kumar Sir,

A heartening news for you. I was doing the stretch between Purnea-Muzaffarpur-Purnea yesterday.

Spoke with a few truckies about the road conditions and route. As per them a board is put up where the E-W corridor, stating that the route shall operate in 2012.

And truck drivers (around 20 of them) replied in negative about even Rs. 10 being charged by the cops for chai-paani. I quizzed almost all the truck drivers at the dhaba, the dhaba adjoining it and from dhaba owners too and certainly didn't believe it.

UP cops extort money, Assam and W.B. police are improving, but as per them (no exaggeration ) they felt safest in Bihar and roads, comparatively were in better condition.
Thanks for the update, heartening to know that things are improving.
The EW Corridor is stuck at the Kosi River Bridges?
Which route did you take to reach Muzaffarpur from Purnea - the Begusarai route or some other?
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:59   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Thanks for the update, heartening to know that things are improving.
The EW Corridor is stuck at the Kosi River Bridges?
Which route did you take to reach Muzaffarpur from Purnea - the Begusarai route or some other?
It indeed is

Yes, E-W corridor is stuck because of Kosi river and as of now, work is stopped as water has inundated low lying areas and hence, work can't progress.

I had done route in 16th January and work was in progress at a good pace, but too many bridges is taking time.

I took the Begusarai, Barauni route.

The first picture is of NH-28 and the second is the statue one would encounter at Barauni 0 mile.

The NH-31 is almost of the same width and in almost the state, monsoons are playing their game, but maintenance work was also being carried out.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Shillong - Bhutan : Route Queries-2.jpg  

Bangalore - Shillong - Bhutan : Route Queries-1.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2011, 10:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

NH31 looks great, is it good all through from Purnea to Begusarai till Muzaffarpur?
Any recommendations for hotels and restaurants en route?
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:27   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NH31 looks great, is it good all through from Purnea to Begusarai till Muzaffarpur?
Any recommendations for hotels and restaurants en route?
Its the 28 (between Barauni and Muzaffarpur) Though the 31 is in the same state.

Road prior to Khagaria is usually in shambles as the land there keeps on sinking, but that section too was in good condition.

Restaurants? Yes, just one. Chillies Restaurant and Tahiti Bar (reminds me as to I again forgot to take the picture for the benefit of community )

That is the only restaurant, you can go with your family between Purnea-Barauni route with clean toilets and decent ambiance.
The bar & restaurant are separate, so no bother. Its bang opposite a Tata and Hero Honda sales outlet.

Hotels? I myself was furiously searching for one last year and we made the mistake to come to Begusarai and not stop at Barauni for accommodation. Most maintain that you can stop over at Barauni (when you take a left towards Patna) and that it has decent rooms with A/C and parking.

I would suggest a stop-over at either Purnea and then at Patna-Muzaffarpur-Gaya (depending on which ever route you are taking)

One interesting route I found yesterday to go to Patna. Take a left at Barauni 0 mile for Muz and go till Tajpur, take a left towards Patna via Hajipur. This will save you time and traffic chaos. The distance to Patna increases by 20 kilometers via this route though. Most taxi guys take this route to go to Patna. Tajpur is some 40 kilometers from Barauni.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd August 2011 at 10:28.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Restaurants? Yes, just one. Chillies Restaurant and Tahiti Bar (reminds me as to I again forgot to take the picture for the benefit of community )

That is the only restaurant, you can go with your family between Purnea-Barauni route with clean toilets and decent ambiance.
The bar & restaurant are separate, so no bother. Its bang opposite a Tata and Hero Honda sales outlet.

Hotels? I myself was furiously searching for one last year and we made the mistake to come to Begusarai and not stop at Barauni for accommodation. Most maintain that you can stop over at Barauni (when you take a left towards Patna) and that it has decent rooms with A/C and parking.
Where exactly are the restaurants?
I found a good-looking hotel in Barauni on the highway itself - but I did not note down the name.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:57   #60
Team-BHP Support

This restaurant is located just after (if going from Khagaria to Barauni) the big IOC fuel pumps (knows as Jubilee). Its approx 3-4 kilometers into Begusarai from Barauni.

To your right hand side if coming from Barauni.

Its better to stop at Barauni Zero Mile and look for accommodation.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd August 2011 at 11:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks