Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2011, 16:11   #1
BHPian

Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad

I am planning a short Pune-Miraj-Pune trip, followed by an overnight Pune-Aurangabad-Pune trip around next weekend with a few friends in my Endeavour. I am looking for advice/suggestions on short excursions, places to see and explore, in the rains, around Aurangabad and Miraj. How about Ajanta/Ellora, is it worth it? Anything interesting around Miraj?

Road conditions aren't too much of a concern, looking for some decent off the beaten track experiences in my Endy.

I know driving directions are pretty straightforward - but then, are there any other fun routes I can take instead of the 4 lane highways?
Old 5th July 2011, 15:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad

Quote:
I am looking for advice/suggestions on short excursions, places to see and explore, in the rains, around Aurangabad and Miraj. How about Ajanta/Ellora, is it worth it?
Siddhesh, considring you plan spanning a wekend at Aurangabad, it will be a hectic schedule to fit the key places -

1. Ajanta (Distance from Aurangabad 120 kms) - MUST
2. Ellora (~40 kms from Aurangabad) - MUST
3. Devgiri Fort (on the way to Ellora, but is steep fort,climbing will easily take 3-5hrs) - NICE PLACE - MUST if you like trekking
4. Biwi Ka Makbara ( 8 kms from Aurangabad) - OPTIONAL
5. Paithan (a pilgrimigae, musical fountain, 60 kms) - OPTIONAL
6. Mhaismaal ( Hill Station) - OPTIONAL

There are temples and historic places ( gates, temples, Pan chakki), which you may like to miss.

The distance to Aurangabad is ~250kms from Pune. You better plan staying at place near Ajanta (MTDC,hotel), instead of using Aurangabad as base. Some useful information can be found -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...i-vent-oh.html

Enjoy your visit..
sanstorm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 17:37   #3
BHPian

Not sure what you could see in Miraj . The old Miraj fort which Shivaji Maharaj couldn't conquer has been taken down, so there is nothing to see there (not even ruins).

Let me see if I can give you some good suggestions.

You can visit Narsinhawadi if you have time (about 20kms from Miraj) and Ganesh temples in both Miraj and Sangli. The one in Miraj is more than 250 years old and the one in Sangli is bigger and grander and was build around 1925.

If you are fond of musical instruments - sitars from Miraj are world famous, you can visit those shops near Miraj Market, place is called as Satarmaker galli (for obvious reasons). At this place you can also buy good harmoniums and tablas if those interest you.

Now the season is over otherwise you could have visited few grape gardens which this area is famous for. Other than these things, you can think of visiting Kolhapur (50kms) and Panhala fort (about 70kms)

Last edited by deepaktpatil : 5th July 2011 at 17:38.
deepaktpatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 18:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

Given the monsoon, I'd strongly suggest Mhaismal; it is a nice hill to drive to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
The distance to Aurangabad is ~250kms from Pune.
~230kms to be precise (from Aundh to N-3, CIDCO at least)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
You better plan staying at place near Ajanta (MTDC,hotel), instead of using Aurangabad as base.
Why do you suggest so?
Ajanta caves and Ellora caves, Daulatabad, Mhaismal will be in opposite directions.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 12:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you suggest so?
It is better to be close to key attraction The consideration is based on assumption of 1 night 2 days typical weekend plan. It helps to freshen up on 1st day, go Ajanta siteseeing (min 4 hours to justice to the paintings) followed by night stay and check out hotel next day for the other cluster of sites ( Ellora, Devgiri et al).

I personally think staying in Aurangabad does not make sense due to limited sites, negotiate city traffic and add to the travel time. The only advantage is more choice for hotels and eateries. Frankly all depends on individual liking and logistic requirement/

PS: Mhaismaal is suggested from off-roading perspective, does not qualify to be a gr8 hill station
Old 6th July 2011, 19:21   #6
BHPian

Guys, thanks a tonne for the suggestions!

Miraj - I guess I will stick to the wedding there, and spend my free time in Kolhapur and Panhala, I have been there multiple times and know the area well. First time to Miraj, though.

Aurangabad - again, first time, and again, have a marriage reception to attend at night. So I am going to leave early from Pune, and try and cover Ellora/Mhaismal on day one, then stay in Aurangabad (no choice there), and cover Ajanta the next day before returning to Pune. If we end up spending time on the road on day 1, then I will ditch Ajanta, and instead enjoy some good offroading in Ellora and Mhaismal the next day before returning to Pune.

Will keep you updated on how it goes, really looking for some good rains!
Old 8th July 2011, 09:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Miraj - I guess I will stick to the wedding there, and spend my free time in Kolhapur and Panhala, I have been there multiple times and know the area well. First time to Miraj, though.
Not sure where this marriage is happening but one thing I am sure is that if its one of the older marriage halls, food will be pretty good. So you can enjoy that part at the least
deepaktpatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 10:43   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If we end up spending time on the road on day 1, then I will ditch Ajanta, and instead enjoy some good offroading in Ellora and Mhaismal the next day before returning to Pune.
Hey, ditch Ellora and Mhaismal rather than Ajanta. Ajanta can be done in about 7-8 hours, to and fro, from A'bad.

It is completely all the effort.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 00:51   #9
BHPian

Here's a delayed but hopefully useful and interesting report on my two trips.

Pune-Kolhapur-Miraj-Sangli-Pune:

The first of my two trips, was pretty uneventful. We went on Saturday evening to Kolhapur. Had some good rains on the way, the drive was fun, but uneventful, except for a stretch of around 60 km when we offered a lift to a police officer, and I felt like a VIP having him on the back seat protecting me Oh well, my wife thought she was the VIP and I was the driver, but I am going to ignore that

The next morning we went for the marriage in Miraj. Two marriages, actually. Miraj is small, dusty, and pretty uninteresting except the gallis I had to squeeze my Endy into, and low and behold - in the middle of the mayhem, I see a gleaming white Audi parked alongside a gleaming white Merc. The road to Miraj is narrow, so is the road from Miraj through Sangli to NH4 on the way back.

No sightseeing, no offroading. Just a long drive.

Trip 2 - Pune-Aurangabad-Ajanta-Aurangabad-Ellora-Mhasmail-Aurangabad-Pune:

We left Tuesday morning, 7 of us in the Endy. We made Aurangabad in quick time, and decided to press on to Ajanta. We reached at 1230, had lunch at the MTDC restaurant (pretty simple, basic) and then parked at the tourist center and took the bus up to Ajanta. The paintings and caves are breathtaking, although shoddy restoration and repairs in the past have destroyed a lot of the stuff. Interestingly, and happily, things are much better now, and the cleanliness and commitment of the staff there was commendable.

Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad-dsc01961.jpg

Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad-dsc01962.jpg

We came back to Aurangabad by late evening, and checked into the Manor Hotel, before going for the friend's marriage reception.

The drive was long, and fun, but the terrain is pretty flat and uninteresting, the rains played truant and there wasn't much more to write about.

Note: Bargain like hell with the souvenir sellers, starting prices are typically ten times they actually come down to if you are patient.

Day 2 was a lot more fun. The rains were in flow, the terrain hilly and very beautiful, and the drive, though just 30 odd kms to Ellora, was wonderful.

Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad-dsc02086.jpg

We stopped at Daulatabad fort along the way for some pics, then landed at the Kailas hotel for a late breakfast. This place has decent food, and some interesting cottages - perfect for a quiet getaway.

Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad-dsc02088.jpg

Ellora was simply breathtaking. A lot of people recommended Ajanta over Ellora, but Ellora was far too stunning in the grandiose nature of the caves and the overall wow factor. Some of these structures are 3-4 storied, and took over 200 years to build - imagine starting a project you know only your great grandchildren will get to see completed!

Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad-dsc02125.jpg

Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad-dsc02149.jpg

Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad-dsc02169.jpg

Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad-dsc02217.jpg

Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad-dsc02228.jpg

From Ellora, we drove to Mhaismal, a few km away. The road is bad, even for an Endy - and Mhaismal is really a nothing place - a couple of bungalows (literally 2), a TV tower, a bunch of shady dhabas and a small village with a pipal tree. Pretty disappointing actually, and not recommended at all.

Pune to Miraj and Aurangabad-dsc02245.jpg

Was a good place for some soft off-roading though, but it was already getting late and we decided to head back for Pune.

By the time we left Aurangabad, it was already dark and raining, and boy, was I glad I had my Xenon lights to show the way! We reached home by 10 pm, and it took me 2 hours the next day to wash her up!
Old 7th August 2011, 14:00   #10
BHPian

Hi Siddheshb

I am planning on a road trip over the Independence Day Weekend from Mumbai to Aurangabad via Pune-Ahmednagar.

Any inputs on the latest driving conditions on the Pune-Ahmednagar-Aurangabad-Ajanta Stretch.

Any insights would be really helpful.
Old 7th August 2011, 18:11   #11
BHPian

Hey PGNarain, the road is in very good condition all the way to Aurangabad (and even further on to Ajanta). It's all 4 lane, and traffic is mostly light. The only irritants are the half a dozen small village-towns along the way. There aren't any big ticket hotels on the way, but the plenty of dhabas/eateries along the way will take care of you

And yes, if you planning on visiting the caves and can make only one of them, go to Ellora.

Enjoy your trip!
siddheshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 09:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hey PGNarain, the road is in very good condition all the way to Aurangabad (and even further on to Ajanta). It's all 4 lane, and traffic is mostly light. The only irritants are the half a dozen small village-towns along the way. There aren't any big ticket hotels on the way, but the plenty of dhabas/eateries along the way will take care of you

And yes, if you planning on visiting the caves and can make only one of them, go to Ellora.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks Siddeshb, tks for the update and the heads up.

I have planned the trip over 4 days and will be travelling upto Lonar and back to Mumbai. Have the entire itinerary planned out and will start a new thread with pics+latest route info once i get back next week.
Old 26th February 2016, 13:23   #13
BHPian

Hi members! I wanted to know the road condition of Pune to Aurangabad route and Pune to Manmad. Is it a good time to visit Ellora in the month of March?
Old 26th February 2016, 14:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir3551 View Post
Pune to Aurangabad route and Pune to Manmad. Is it a good time to visit Ellora in the month of March?
Pune to Aurangabad is 4 lane highway with divider. In my trip did Aurangabad to Ahmednagar, but the road is similar right upto Pune.

The heat of March will not allow you to enjoy Elora as you need to walk quite a bit in the open. (Refer my blog to Ajanta and Elora for more on the route and the place)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ta-ellora.html

Make a trip in the Monsoons ! You'll enjoy it the most in my opinion.
Old 28th February 2016, 17:17   #15
BHPian

Thankyou Varun. Any idea about Pune to Manmad and Pune to Nanded route. Pl give details for the route separately. My travelling to the respective places will be separately.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks