Team-BHP - Renting car in Austria - Is IDP required
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Renting car in Austria - Is IDP required (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/104344-renting-car-austria-idp-required.html)

I am wondering whether an international drivers permit is required to rent a car in Austria and then driving in Italy/switzerland?
Our Indian DLs are in English.

I am getting conflicting information on the internet, with lots of people saying they drive in Indian license. however, there are some sites which say, if your license is not in german, you need an IDP.

Any answers?

In Germany its recommended that you get an IDL. Basically its just a glorified version of your Indian DL, but with all the relevant details presented better. Else get your Indian DL translated into German.

I would suggest getting an IDP since it cost peanuts in India (think in Euro here :) ). The translation to German would cost much more (when I got mine done, it was close to 40 Euros - that was about 4 years back).

As per German rules, you can drive with the IDP only for 6 months if you are staying for longer than 1 year. You can request exemption and continue driving for 1 year provided you can submit proof that your stay will be only for 1 year. Since the rules are pretty much the same across Europe, i guess this should work for Austria too.

linky confirms this:
HELP.gv.at - Driving Licence

Again as per the above link
"
Please note: If the foreign driving licence is not written in German, it is only valid in combination with an international driving licence or a translation.
"

Btb, I found its a pain to drive in Austria. Had to get those orange vests for everyone in the car + stickers.

You might also want to read this:

http://www.austria.info/us/plan-your...a-1084578.html

The best is to mail to Avis or other rental office and get the official information.

I have never had any issue with my Indian driving license while renting in France and Italy. I know couple of my friends who did the same in Swiss and Germany.

So, it should be ok to rent with Indian license. However, if you are still worried, a mail to Avis or other rental office in Germany will help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 2425628)
I am wondering whether an international drivers permit is required to rent a car in Austria and then driving in Italy/switzerland?
Our Indian DLs are in English.

Any answers?

I would strongly recommend going for an IDP. The rental agency might agree for an Indian DL. But as per the law you need an IDP. period.

Also do make sure you get the Vignettes for all those countries from your rental agency, if possible. would save money + headache.

Hi Tanveer,

I read your beautiful travelogue and could not find the final details about this aspect. May be I missed it :Frustrati

So do we require an IDP or will the Indian driving licence suffice? In case we require IDP can it be obtained in Delhi/Gurgaon if I have my licence issued from Gujarat? I plan to follow the same route as you did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankurdon (Post 3408356)
Hi Tanveer,

I read your beautiful travelogue and could not find the final details about this aspect. May be I missed it :Frustrati

So do we require an IDP or will the Indian driving licence suffice? In case we require IDP can it be obtained in Delhi/Gurgaon if I have my licence issued from Gujarat? I plan to follow the same route as you did.

I got the IDP, but nobody asked for it. Car rental was done with my Indian Drivers License.
So its all cool :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3408413)
I got the IDP, but nobody asked for it. Car rental was done with my Indian Drivers License.

Does this apply to UK also? So can we actually drive with our Indian Drivers License in Europe?

Quote:

Nice! I had rented cars from Germany and never ever they asked for IDP. But I think in some countries like Italy, you need to have an IDP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormerider (Post 3408421)
Does this apply to UK also? So can we actually drive with our Indian Drivers License in Europe?

No, not in all Schengen countries. Some countries require you to have international drive permit. As mentioned above, Italy is one. I still remember our road trips in Europe, I get to drive when we enter Italy since none of my colleagues had an IDP :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankurdon (Post 3408356)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormerider (Post 3408421)

Folks so the rule is like this, you can drive in most of the countries in the world with your Indian Driving License ( Some Latin American / African countries be exceptions - but the rules there aren't as strict as their western counterparts ). The only requirement is that it should be in English and not in any local language. In case of an incident they need to see and understand what all vehicles are you eligible for driving and its validity date.

I have driven from UK to Mongolia and have covered almost all the countries in Europe with my Indian license.

Countries like Russia / Kazakhstan / Uzbek / Kyrgyzstan/ would like to have your license translated into their regional language or have an international license.

Please note that even if you have an international license most of the European countries mandate you to obtain a local license if you are driving there for more than 6 months or 1 year ( depends on country to country )

Even when you are renting a car this is applicable.

Myself has driven in US, Canada and UK with Indian Driving license, and that too rental cars. I never had any issues in renting a car. However in Germany, rental car agency needed a international or European or US or Canada issued license. Similarly, I also know that one can rent a car in Malaysia with Indian driving license.

Hi junta please help me out as it is very important for my trip. I want to hire a self drive car in Austria and cover Austria, Italy, Switzerland and Germany.
I reside in Gurgaon currently and my Driving License was issued in Gujarat. Now I am super confused whether to go for IDP or not because of conflicting information from various sources. Asked Europcar and Hertz and as per them I need IDP.
If I go for it then I have to go to Gujarat on a working day to get the same. And I should get my Visa and Tickets done before that. To apply for Visa at Austrian embassy also I should get the booking done. I plan to depart in a month. I believe too short a time to get both Visa and IDP done after my bookings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankurdon (Post 3465207)
Hi junta please help me out as it is very important for my trip. I want to hire a self drive car in Austria and cover Austria, Italy, Switzerland and Germany.
I reside in Gurgaon currently and my Driving License was issued in Gujarat. Now I am super confused whether to go for IDP or not because of conflicting information from various sources. Asked Europcar and Hertz and as per them I need IDP.
If I go for it then I have to go to Gujarat on a working day to get the same. And I should get my Visa and Tickets done before that. To apply for Visa at Austrian embassy also I should get the booking done. I plan to depart in a month. I believe too short a time to get both Visa and IDP done after my bookings.

Ankurdon

You will definitely need the IDP as it is the law in Austria and Italy for all non-EEU citizens , whilst it is not that major a point in Germany and Switzerland ,the car rental agencies might be willing to let you hire their car with the IDL, but in case you get stopped by the cops in either Austria or Italy then you will be in a lot of bother, this was from our own experience this April when my cousin was stopped on couple of occasions in Italy where the cops surpass their Indian counterparts for being corrupt :Frustrati, resulted in me driving through Italy for the remainder of our trip as I hold a British License.

Regards
Vickzkool

Quote:

Hi Tanveer,

Am planning a similar drive. Basically up from Verona (Italy) to Innusbruck via Dolomites and then back to Verona via Lake Como. Did you drive through international borders? Did you get only one IDP? For which country?

Help much appreciated!!

Ashish

I think Indian Smart Card Licences are now accepted in most countries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live To Jive (Post 3703446)
I think Indian Smart Card Licences are now accepted in most countries.

IDP is technically needed in Austria. However, Hertz, from whom I rented, did not check the same. If you rent in Austria, there may be restrictions on taking your car into Italy due to some insurance related reasons - please verify that.