Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2011, 15:50   #1
buz
BHPian

Turkey travel queries

Hi,

I am planning to go to Turkey in August. Checked out the visa requirements and came to know that if one has a valid US/UK/Schengen visa, one can get a single entry visa at the airport immigration itself. Have any of the members availed of this facility in the past? Also, if anyone has driven a rental car in Turkey, would like to get some info on that as well in terms of recommended rental companies and if the IDP is required or not (my license is in English, smart card).

Thanks.
Old 20th July 2011, 18:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Turkey travel queries

Hi Buz, Yes, I was in turkey in November '10. It's true that shengen and us visa holders ( indian nationals) will get a visa on arrival. I confirmed this with the turkish consulate in Bombay before going. But there was a nagging feeling at the back of my mind, what if they say no once i land?
So i went ahead and took a visa from here itself. painless, 15 min, minimal lines, returned with visa in 2 days. On landing in Istanbul I checked with immigration and got a ''maybe'' as a reply to my question about visa on arrival.
Better safe than sorry.
No idea about driving around - took the bus everywhere - cheap, ultra comfy ( recline seats, air-con, tea and snacks, free wi-fi. Buses generally leave late evening and arrive at destinations early morning.
let me know if you need more info / help.
Its a beautiful country and you will love it. Have fun.
Old 20th July 2011, 19:08   #3
buz
BHPian

Thanks Clix. While in immigration, did you notice Indians joining in the line to pay their visa on arrival fees (I believe there is a specific desk for it)? I am guessing if that was the case, then this could be a regular feature. Don't have much time now to get a Turkish visa (long story) apriori. Might as well take the plunge.

Anyone else with experiences, please do feel free to write in.
Old 20th July 2011, 19:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
Thanks Clix. While in immigration, did you notice Indians joining in the line to pay their visa on arrival fees (I believe there is a specific desk for it)? I am guessing if that was the case, then this could be a regular feature. Don't have much time now to get a Turkish visa (long story) apriori. Might as well take the plunge.

Anyone else with experiences, please do feel free to write in.
I did visit isthanbul and got a visa on arrival. Cost 20$ . No hassles other than a 30 minute delay and guards who are chillingly similar to iIndian ones ( lazy, condescending and often stupid). this was about 2 months back .Business trip. look up their site for current limitations. Dont fly Air India (codeshare)if you can avoid it.
BTW I had UK, US, Italy business visitor visas too valid at the time.

Last edited by Ravich : 20th July 2011 at 19:49.
Old 21st July 2011, 10:10   #5
buz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
look up their site for current limitations.
Thanks Ravich. This is reassuring. There don't seem to be any limitations on their website. Have scanned it thrice over, called them twice over and now am emailing them just to carry a copy to the immigration desk if required.
Old 21st July 2011, 10:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
Thanks Ravich. This is reassuring. There don't seem to be any limitations on their website. Have scanned it thrice over, called them twice over and now am emailing them just to carry a copy to the immigration desk if required.
I have been in Turkey in oct-nov 2010. No problems whatsoever for me. got visa on arrival and it is a friendly and nice country. Have a nice trip. I had valid schengan and UK visa with me.

I second Ravich, avoid air india at any cost. I only had bad experiences with them.

EDIT: double check with the airline whether they need an OK to Board letter when you start from India. They can be quite adamant at times, especially if it is lufthansa.

Last edited by 999 : 21st July 2011 at 10:39.
Old 21st July 2011, 11:16   #7
buz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post

EDIT: double check with the airline whether they need an OK to Board letter when you start from India. They can be quite adamant at times, especially if it is lufthansa.
I am travelling Turkish. Who will be the issuing authority for the Ok to board letter?
Old 21st July 2011, 11:43   #8
BHPian

Check with the airlines first. if they don't need that then fine. If you are going on business purpose, the responsibitity rests on the company you are visiting. Normally it is an OK letter from the immigration in turkey saying your visa will be provided on arrival. a travel agent with a letter from the company and your passport copy (pages of valid visa) can get it from them.
Old 21st July 2011, 18:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

I was in Istanbul in 2010.I was asked to get a Turkish Business Visa inspite of having a US and UK visa .

Few other notes:
Car Rental isnt an issue ,though one has to be careful for rash ( very rash drivers).I have had a few issues with cab drivers charging double /triple of what it is normally.The meters wouldnt be tampered for sure ,but they did give me a nice city tour .
Breaking signals and lane cutting at 100+ speeds is a common occurance .
Bus travel is a big thing in Turkey and this is the place to be in ,if you are a bus lover .

PM me for any other details that you might want on Istanbul or Ankara
Old 25th July 2011, 11:17   #10
buz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I was in Istanbul in 2010.I was asked to get a Turkish Business Visa inspite of having a US and UK visa .

Few other notes:
Car Rental isnt an issue
They asked you to take a business visa at the airport? Any particular reason why?

For car rental, does one need an IDP or is the english language smart card license enough?

A peculiar thing about my itinerary is that I am transiting through Istanbul to Ukraine (overnight stay) and post my Ukraine visit, I return to Istanbul and stay in turkey for a week. Will I need to buy two separate single entry visas at the airport? Or for the first time, I will be able to get a transit visa at the airport itself?
Old 29th July 2011, 13:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

I had a business visa when I entered Turkey .There were no hassles airport

I did have an IDP with me ,but dont remember if they checked it.I am not sure whethere it was the passport that they checked

No idea about the single entry visas :(
Old 17th February 2015, 00:08   #12
BHPian

First of all, sorry to revive a 5-year old thread.
I'm travelling to Turkey with wife as tourist, come May. I do not have US/UK/Schengen visa, so an e-Visa or visa on arrival is out the question. Need some information regarding tourist visa:
1. I'm based in Bangalore. Does the VFS Global Bangalore office process Turkey Visa?
2. If not, can anyone direct me to an authorized (or atleast reliable) visa agent to process the visa?
3. Is there anyone in the house who has experienced Turkey tourist visa processing? What all documents did you have to furnish? I'm asking this because there are lot of variations in the list of docs each website lists.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks