Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:04   #1
BHPian

Query: Kolkata - Siliguri - Ngari(China)- Leh

Dear All,

It has been ages since I have posted here. I am however on the page everyday reading up the latest happenings on the indian automotive front .

As the subject suggests I am attempting to find out as much details possible about venturing on to the above mentioned route.

Kolkata- Siliguri is a no brainer, I am sure and can be covered at a peaceful pace within a driving day. I am a little worried about the next leg which takes me into China. My queries are as follows and would appreciate a lot of help as much as possible on it, and the only one which is worrying me at the moment is as follows.

(a) Has any one onboard attempted entering China? What are the permits required if one wants to enter with an Indian registered vehicle and exit on to Leh. Is it possible at ALL?

Once this has been answered I am sure I would have some other questions

Appreciate your time.

Indra
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Query: Kolkata - Siliguri - Ngari(China)- Leh

It is not possible.
The only place where you can enter China is through Nepal - the Kailash Manasarovar route - and there too they do not permit Indian vehicles. I have tried to drive into China 2 years running, but the process was very cumbersome and uncertain.

I know of a Indian couple - residents of UK - who drove a Jeep Cherokee from London to Delhi via Central ASia and Tibet, but that involved lots of red tape and wrangling! For example, you have to do some expensive lobbying in Beijing through travel agents. Besides, you have to have a mandatory guide in your car all the time.

We tried through Beijing travel agents but unfortunately both years we tried there were some political issues between Indian and CHina and we could not succeed. Other than the Silk Route EXpedition in 1992-93, I have not heard of any Indian cars driving into China.

Even today, despite opening up trade gates at Nathu la, no Indian vehicle can go into China. There is no question of Indian cars driving to China from Ladakh. No gates also in Arunachal.
Old 24th July 2011, 11:13   #3
BHPian

All that you mentioned is not a problem, is it possible to get some more details as to "what" needs to done?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks