Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 12:21   #1
BHPian

Gaya/ Bodhgaya

Hi Friends,

I am planning to drive from Varanasi to Gaya on my way to Kolkata in October 2011. I need help in the following:

1. Driving Condition and route to Gaya from Varanasi, as Google Maps and MMI are suggesting different routes

2. Driving time and tips to note about route to Gaya.

3. Suggestions on accommodation at Gaya or contacts to help perform ceremonies at Gaya.

Regards,

Rajesh
Old 25th July 2011, 21:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gaya/ Bodhgaya

The best route is to turn off NH2 at Dobhi. Road is good throughout.
Varanasi-Mohania 75 kms-Sasaram 45-Aurangabad 50-Dobhi 65
Dobhi is 250 kms from Varanasi. Bodh Gaya is around 20 kms from Dobhi, and 10 kms further down is Gaya.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 10:59   #3
BHPian

Hello Rajesh,

I had been to Gaya and Bodh Gaya in February of this year to perform Pind Daan for my late father. I understand that your purpose of the visit is similar.

About the route , I can not comment as I had flown to Gaya from Calcutta.
I would suggest that you contact the Bharat Sevashram for guidance about the pujas. My experience with them was very satisfactory. Thay will take care of everything including flowers, conveyance , priest and other necessary items at a very reasonable cost. The total time taken is approximately 6 hours in case the person for whom you are doing the puja did not have an accidental death, otherwise the time required will be more.
I strongly recomend that you perform the pujas through Brarat Sevashram only. Gaya is full of touts and cheats who are waiting to take you for a very expensive ride.
For accomodation , you can stay at the Ashram premises also if you can do without hot water, room service, tv etc. Also you can not have non-veg food.
If you can not do without these, then there are plenty of moderate hotels nearby where you can get A/c double bed rooms for Rs.1800 approximately. I stayed at a hotel which was just 1 minute walk from the Ashram.

For sight seeing, do visit Bodh Gaya which is about 30 minutes drive from Gaya.

Please feel free to write to me about any query that you might have.

Regards
mitrajdeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 13:48   #4
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the help.

Please do send me the contact details of Bharat Sevashram, so that I can plan things in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrajdeep View Post
Hello Rajesh,

I had been to Gaya and Bodh Gaya in February of this year to perform Pind Daan for my late father. I understand that your purpose of the visit is similar.

About the route , I can not comment as I had flown to Gaya from Calcutta.
I would suggest that you contact the Bharat Sevashram for guidance about the pujas. My experience with them was very satisfactory. Thay will take care of everything including flowers, conveyance , priest and other necessary items at a very reasonable cost. The total time taken is approximately 6 hours in case the person for whom you are doing the puja did not have an accidental death, otherwise the time required will be more.
I strongly recomend that you perform the pujas through Brarat Sevashram only. Gaya is full of touts and cheats who are waiting to take you for a very expensive ride.
For accomodation , you can stay at the Ashram premises also if you can do without hot water, room service, tv etc. Also you can not have non-veg food.
If you can not do without these, then there are plenty of moderate hotels nearby where you can get A/c double bed rooms for Rs.1800 approximately. I stayed at a hotel which was just 1 minute walk from the Ashram.

For sight seeing, do visit Bodh Gaya which is about 30 minutes drive from Gaya.

Please feel free to write to me about any query that you might have.

Regards
Old 29th July 2011, 10:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
Thanks a lot for the help.

Please do send me the contact details of Bharat Sevashram, so that I can plan things in advance

Rajesh,

Glad to be of help.

118/2, Navya Nagar Layout
Jakkur, Bengaluru 560064
Phone: +91 080 22714771, (M): +91 9449588367
Email: bharatsevashramsanghabangalore@gmail.com

Try visiting them and talk to them about your requirements, I am sure you will get all your answers.

Also visit BHARAT SEVASHRAM SANGHA---In Service to Humanity

Regards
mitrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 14:09   #6
BHPian

Reviving this very old thread.

I need to travel to Gaya in early June for performing the ceremonies of my father. I understand that the Bharat Sevashram Sangha can help in the rituals. Can anyone please update me on the following points:
  • Do we need to contact the Sangha before going to Gaya, and if yes, what are the contact details of the Gaya office.
  • How feasible is it to stay at Bodh Gaya for the entire duration? We'll be having our own car. Since senior citizens will also be travelling, I am looking for a comfortable overnight option, and I understand that the boarding facilities at the Bharat Sevashram Sangha might not be very suitable for the elderly people.

Also, can anyone please help with info about the broad details of the rituals?
Old 29th March 2024, 07:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Basu View Post
Reviving this very old thread.

I need to travel to Gaya in early June for performing the ceremonies of my father. I understand that the Bharat Sevashram Sangha can help in the rituals. Can anyone please update me on the following points:
[*]How feasible is it to stay at Bodh Gaya for the entire duration? We'll be having our own car. Since senior citizens will also be travelling, I am looking for a comfortable overnight option, and I understand that the boarding facilities at the Bharat Sevashram Sangha might not be very suitable for the elderly people.[/list]
Also, can anyone please help with info about the broad details of the rituals?
Hi!

Had done something similar in 2007, stayed at Bodh Gaya and went to the temple everyday. I have been to Bodh Gaya after that too (2018 was my last visit), staying at Bodh Gaya is pretty feasible as the temple is not exactly inside the city and the distance from my hotel to the temple was some 12 kms odd IIRC and used to take me ~ 20 mins.

There are many hotels in Bodh Gaya as per your preference, plus, at that of the year should not be overtly expensive. Tourists usually come in October to January / February. Either the hotel may suggest you a pandit / priest or you can go to temple a day before and do that yourself.

While my answers are a bit vague, this is the general idea. Hope it helps you.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 09:49   #8
BHPian

Thank you @Sheel for the confirmation. We'll opt for BodhGaya for overnighting, in that case. I see a Sarovar property at BodhGaya, and I think it'll be comfortable enough for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

Had done something similar in 2007, stayed at Bodh Gaya and went to the temple everyday.
Could you please expand on this part? Does one need to visit the pinda-daan temple on more than one day? I had been planning for only 1-day halt.
Old 29th March 2024, 10:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Basu View Post
Could you please expand on this part? Does one need to visit the pinda-daan temple on more than one day? I had been planning for only 1-day halt.
I had not gone to Gaya for pind-daan, it was some for other ritual.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks