Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tamil Nadu Temple Circuit

Just another query as well,what would be the ideal way to do the tamil nadu temple circuit of Tanjore,chidambaram etc starting from Kerala.

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tamil Nadu Temple Circuit

Assuming Trichur

Trichur-Trichy-Kumbakonam-Chidambaram-Tanjore-Trichy-Madurai-Trichur

Thrissur, Kerala to Thrissur, Kerala - Google Maps
Old 2nd August 2011, 23:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Assuming Trichur

Trichur-Trichy-Kumbakonam-Chidambaram-Tanjore-Trichy-Madurai-Trichur
Ampere's suggestion will work out, and if you want slight alteration, you can do

Trichur-Coimbatore-Trichy-Tanjore-Kumbakonam-Mayiladuthurai-Chidambaram-Kumbakonam-Madurai-Trichur

But you got to be more specific, from where you are starting and what temples you want to cover, so that others can help more precisely.

-Ravi
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Since its not clear where you are going to start like others am assuming Trichur. Am not sure how many days you are planning hence have given you a tentative plan.

Ex Trichur:
Day 1: Early Start from Trichur - Reach Trichy at around afternoon via Pollachi, Udumalaipet, Palani, Dindigul. Finish Srirangam, Uchi Pillaiyar Koil, Samayapuram if need be. Stay overnight at Trichy.

Day 2: Start early for Thanjavur - Finish Big Temple, on your way to Kumbakonam you can finish Patteswaram, Swamimalai & Dharasuram. Reach Kumbakonam in the afternoon after a short rest, start around 3.30 in the evening to finish Uppiliappan Temple, Thirunageswaram, Adikumbeswarar temple in the town, Chakrapani temple in the town etc. Stay overnight at Kumbakonam.

Day 3: Another early start towards Karaikal for Thirunallar temple. Continue onwards to Chidambaram, cover Thirukadaiyur on the way. Finish the Chidambaram temple in the evening.

Stay overnight at Chidambaram and start back next day morning taking the following route Chidambaram - Vadalur - Vridachalam - Veppur - Trichy to reach Trichur around late afternoon.
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Add Rameswaram to the circuit and that will cover all the places except Kanchipuram. It can be comfortably done as a day trip from madurai as roads are very good.
Old 7th September 2014, 13:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Just another query as well,what would be the ideal way to do the tamil nadu temple circuit of Tanjore,chidambaram etc starting from Kerala.

Thanks in advance
If you let me know where in Kerala you are planning to start your journey and number of days you plan to be in tour, I may be able to help you with a route plan.

Just a week ago, I did 3 days Tamilnadu trip that touched most of the parts of Tamilnadu. The travelogue is here for reference: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-72-hours.html

The prominent Tamilnadu temples not in order for plan (there are 100 others if you have time)

1. Palani
2. Madurai
3. Tiruvannamalai, Thiruvarangam, Thirukoilur (must visit this trio if you plan to visit Tiruvannamalai)
4. Rameswaram
5. Tanjavur
6. Kumbakonam (lots of temples) / Swamimalai
6. Kanchipuram (lots of temples)
7. Chidambaram / Sirgazhi
8. Trichy Uchipillar Koil / Srirangam / Samayapuram
9. Chennai (Mylapore - Kapaleeswarar and Thiruvanmiyur - Marundheeswarar)
10. Thiruchendur
11. Vellore (Fort - Jalakanteswarar, Sripuram - Golden temple)

Since you wanted to start from Kerala, these are some prominent temples at Kerala

1. Thiruvanandapuram - Padmanaba swami temple
2. Trichur
3. Sabarimala (check the timings of the temple)
4. Chottanikkara (near Cochin)
5. Alapuzha
6. Guruvayur
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 13:36   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
If you let me know where in Kerala you are planning to start your journey and number of days you plan to be in tour, I may be able to help you with a route plan.
@trammway
Thats a 3 year old post from Ranjit!
Old 7th September 2014, 13:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@trammway
Thats a 3 year old post from Ranjit!
My bad, may be someone else who is planning to take a similar trip could find this post helpful.
Old 8th September 2014, 15:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
My bad, may be someone else who is planning to take a similar trip could find this post helpful.
Yes, Thanks. I have something similar in mind, though I will be starting from Bangalore and not very soon. But information regarding what are most important temples to cover in TN is useful.
Old 8th September 2014, 17:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoukar View Post
Yes, Thanks. I have something similar in mind, though I will be starting from Bangalore and not very soon. But information regarding what are most important temples to cover in TN is useful.
If you see you cannot cover all in one. Each section of state has its own treasure trove of temples. You can cover it only section by section.

What I can think off:

- One section is : Vellore/Tiruvannamalai followed by Chidambaram, Gangaikonda Cholapuram etc.
- The region of Kumbakonam warrants a separate visit. This mainly covers the Navagraha temples followed by the one at Tanjore.
- In fact you may more than visit to this part of TN. There way to many temples other than Navagraha temples themselves.
- Another section is Trichy-Madurai-Rameshwarm (and Kanyakumari).

Last edited by ampere : 8th September 2014 at 17:12.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 18:30   #11

Quote:
If you see you cannot cover all in one. Each section of state has its own treasure trove of temples. You can cover it only section by section.

What I can think off:

- One section is : Vellore/Tiruvannamalai followed by Chidambaram, Gangaikonda Cholapuram etc.
- The region of Kumbakonam warrants a separate visit. This mainly covers the Navagraha temples followed by the one at Tanjore.
- In fact you may more than visit to this part of TN. There way to many temples other than Navagraha temples themselves.
- Another section is Trichy-Madurai-Rameshwarm (and Kanyakumari).
Thank you and my apologies for late acknowledgement. Will keep this in mind. Currently reading NPV sir's travelogue "Bangalore-Madurai-Kanyakumari-Rameshwaram-Bangalore in 5 days" and planning something during 3rd-4th week of October for that segment. Appreciated your help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks