Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2011, 12:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Gurgaon to Jim Corbett - Details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Shri View Post
Dear Sach.Sri:

2. Rs.3000/- for a jeep half day safari is day-light robbery. The rates are now fixed by the government and the rate list is posted at Ramnagar Van Parisar. For a half day safari the rate is Rs.1500/-. Jhirna gate is open throughout the year and you can stay their overnight.
Cheers!
Thanks for this information - are there any alternatives available for booking the Safaris? Do you have any contacts that can be used? If so pls share.

I have again planned to goto Corbett - Nov end, so was looking at these details again.

@Mods - did not want to open a new thread, can the title of this thread be changed to - "Gurgaon to Jim Corbett - Details?"

People - pls respond to my query on which route to take /road conditions, etc.

Thanks.
Old 12th November 2011, 04:17   #17
BHPian

Re: Gurgaon to Jim Corbett - Details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Thanks for this information - are there any alternatives available for booking the Safaris? Do you have any contacts that can be used? If so pls share.

I have again planned to goto Corbett - Nov end, so was looking at these details again.

@Mods - did not want to open a new thread, can the title of this thread be changed to - "Gurgaon to Jim Corbett - Details?"

People - pls respond to my query on which route to take /road conditions, etc.

Thanks.
Hi Sach Sri:

Sorry for the delay in responding. Was travelling. You can contact Girish Dhasmana on +919568177887. He has been operating safaris for the past 14 years. Has a good eye but doesn't like loud and non-serious tourists who think Corbett is a zoo. Please ask him where to stay. Bijrani was better last season than Dhikala from a tiger sighting perspective. Try not to go immediately after the park reopens on 15 Nov. Try not to go very late in the winter as mornings are foggy and sightings become rarer. November end will be a good time.

My recommendation would be to start very early in the morning like by 4 am. Take nizamuddin flyover and head straight to Hapur bye-pass and reach Moradabad via Gajraula. A nice place for a stop-over could be 5kms from Gajraula (either McDonalds or Tadka near BP petrol bunk). Road conditions are usually bad some 20 kms before Brijghat (before Gajraula). Take a sharp u turn after Moradabad bye-pass and continue on the single road to Ramnagar. Try not to stop between Moradabad and Kashipur as there have been reports of harassment by rowdy locals. Road condition between Moradabad and Kashipur was pretty bad till July. Rest of the road is quite good and you can cover the distance in under six hours. Of course this depends on a number of factors.

Just as you enter the Ramnagar head for the Van Parisar for the permit. Collect the permit for night stay inside the forest (best chance of sighting). Alternatively you can stay in one of the numerous resorts in and around Ramnagar and take day safaris. Day safaris offer significantly reduced chances of tiger sighting. Girish will be able to guide you. One person in your party will have to present himself along with a government issued identification to collect the permit for night stay as well as day safari. Usually, if you agree to pay Rs.200, Girish will organize a person to stand in the queue for you so that you don't have to reach the office at 4 am.

In case you decide to stay in some resort, the best one is Ramganga but it is 33 km from Ramnagar. Tiger camp is a decent one and is just about 10 km. Others are Hideaway and Infinity.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks