Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2011, 12:55   #1
BHPian

Route query - Chalakudy to Thirunelli by Road!

Dear Team-Bhpians

I am planning to do a trip to Thirunelli during my upcoming vacation . Planning to start from Chalakudy by early morning (4.00 AM - 4:30 AM) 28th Aug to reach Thirunelli by noon. Drive is expected to last at-least 7 hours depending on the "Kids" stop in between.

Which route is the best considering the monsoon conditions of Kerala roads?

Shall I go for Chalakudy-Thrissur-Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kozhikode(Calicut) - Kalpetta - Mananthavady - Thirunelli?

or Chalakudy - Thrissur - Shornur - Perinthalmanna - Manjeri - Kalpetta - Mananthavady - Thirunelli?

I would appreciate your valuable feedback, alternative route suggestions and suggestion for restaurants en-route.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 14th August 2011, 13:52   #2
BHPian

Re: Rout query - Chalakudy to Thirunelli by Road!

Chalakudy <30.7*km> Patturaikkal <33.0*km> Kulappully <6.3*km> Vaniamkulam <31.1*km> (Turn left after Vaniamkulam via Pathamkulam) Perinthalmanna <109*km> Kalpetta <54.6*km> Thirunelly.

This seems to be the best route. which is the car?
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 14:19   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Chalakudy <30.7*km> Patturaikkal <33.0*km> Kulappully <6.3*km> Vaniamkulam <31.1*km> (Turn left after Vaniamkulam via Pathamkulam) Perinthalmanna <109*km> Kalpetta <54.6*km> Thirunelly.

This seems to be the best route. which is the car?
Thank you Skyline GT-R!

I will be using Innova as there are two families (4 Adults and 3 Kids)

I had used the route up to Perinthalmanna when I took a trip to Ooty. The Kovai - Mettupalayam - Ooty route was blocked due to land slides.
Old 14th August 2011, 20:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest the following :

Chalakudy-Trichur-Kecheri-Akkikkavu (Bypass Kunnamkulam by turning right at Kecheri)-Edappal-Kuttippuram-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Areecode-Thamarassery-Kalpetta-Mananthavady-Kattikulam-Thirunelli

The roads on the Thamarassery-Kalpetta sector may not be all that great post-monsoon. In case you want to avoid that, you could go via Nilambur, but it is about 25 to 30 kms longer. From Manjeri go to Mananthavadi via Edavanna-Nilambur-Nadukani-Vaduvanchal-Meenangadi-Panamaram.
Old 14th August 2011, 20:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I'd suggest the following :

Chalakudy-Trichur-Kecheri-Akkikkavu (Bypass Kunnamkulam by turning right at Kecheri)-Edappal-Kuttippuram-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Areecode-Thamarassery-Kalpetta-Mananthavady-Kattikulam-Thirunelli
Just one comment here. If you're starting early (say at 4:30am) from Chalakudy, I feel its better to pass through Kunnamkulam. Before 8am there are no roadblocks or one-way troubles in Kunnamkulam, and the road is much better than the Kecheri-Akkikavu shortcut.
Old 15th August 2011, 08:44   #6
BHPian

During rains, the roads in Kerala can magically change from good to worse on no time. Unless confirmed by anyone who has travelled very recently, there is always a chance of surprise en route.

I guess the Malappuram-Manjeri road would have been washed out as usual by now.

Roads around Nilambur were also in a bad shape 3 months back. No reason to believe that it would be repaired during rains.

Thrissur - Kuttipuram roads are good only after the diversion (Kecheri?) to Guruvayoor.

Kuttipuram - Kottakal - Calicut has developed some big potholes in certain parts recently.

Last edited by Skyline GT-R : 15th August 2011 at 08:47.
Old 15th August 2011, 09:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
During rains, the roads in Kerala can magically change from good to worse on no time. Unless confirmed by anyone who has travelled very recently, there is always a chance of surprise en route.

I guess the Malappuram-Manjeri road would have been washed out as usual by now.

Roads around Nilambur were also in a bad shape 3 months back. No reason to believe that it would be repaired during rains.

Thrissur - Kuttipuram roads are good only after the diversion (Kecheri?) to Guruvayoor.

Kuttipuram - Kottakal - Calicut has developed some big potholes in certain parts recently.
Yes, Kerala roads do have this habit of frequent metamorphosis between good bad and the ugly in very little time, that's the reason why I try to keep track of the latest updates whenever someone posts about a trip here (purely selfish motive : I do travel through Kerala roads very frequently and I hate driving on bad roads )

Another user had done the same trip (via Nilambur) less than 2 weeks ago and reported the roads on the Trichur-Kottakkal-Nilambur-Gudalur route to be quite decent : ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2462722 ). And as per my brother-in-law who travelled from Calicut to Kalpetta last Saturday, Thamarassery ghats are in pretty bad shape - the reason why I suggested the Nilambur route as a possible alternative.
Old 15th August 2011, 10:18   #8
BHPian

Thanks for all the input guys.

My plan is to get there by noon, but the priority is for the scenic routes. I think it is the after effect of living in the desert land for long. Dont want to miss the famous Thamarassery Churam. Is that route really bad? Can any recent travelers confirm?
Old 15th August 2011, 11:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
Thanks for all the input guys.

My plan is to get there by noon, but the priority is for the scenic routes. I think it is the after effect of living in the desert land for long. Dont want to miss the famous Thamarassery Churam. Is that route really bad? Can any recent travelers confirm?
Except for the view of the valley from the top (which is more spectacular on the Thamarassery ghats), the Nadugani ghats section between Nilambur and Nadugani is the more scenic of the two since it mostly passes through forest area. The road between Nadugani and Vaduvanchal (the Ooty Calicut highway) is also a very nice stretch to drive passing through tea estates on either side.

From reports last received the Nilambur ghat road has a much better surface than Thamarassery ghats, but it would be about 25 kms longer for you. So it's a tradeoff - take your pick.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 11:30   #10
BHPian

Thanks Kala!

My Priority stays! I will take the Nilambur route as suggested by you. I don't mind driving more for that

So the current route as suggested by you would be Chalakudy-Trichur-Kunnamkulam -Edappal-Kuttippuram-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Edavanna-Nilambur-Nadukani-Vaduvanchal-Meenangadi-Panamaram-Mananthavadi-Kattikulam-Thirunelli

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks