Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 22:51   #1
BHPian

Of Marriages and Trips.

“A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck

"62000.." I said aloud. "It's going to cost us 62,000 to make that trip"

"But you said it won't be more than 30.." she waits for a reply, my wife of two months.

"Per head.. It's 30k per head. Do you want to enjoy Singapore or not?" I'm not impatient. But it's common sense, isn't it?

"I don't want to spend so much!, where else can we go? I want to visit my mom too."

"Well I have ten days off work. You want to go see Coorg?" I chime in, half expecting her to turn me down.

"I've heard Coorg is fun. The Scotland of India?" She quips.

“I don’t know about that. But it’s fun and is just a few hours’ drive from here.”

“What about home? I miss my mom!”

“We’ll spend a couple of nights in Coorg and head home. There isn’t much deviation from our Kerala route anyways.”

She’s excited now. “Ooh! You’ll get some rest from the long drive!”

“It’s not tiring…” I start explaining but let it go. I’m excited now! Singapore can wait!

So here we are now. The plan is made, the date is fixed. End of September drive to Kerala from Bangalore via Coorg.

This is where you guys come in.

While I've been to Coorg several times, I like to try a new place every time and I'm a sucker for cozy home-stays. This time around, I heard about Nakoor Volkot, a Mahindra Holidays Home-stay and am keen on trying it out. Has anyone been there? What do you guys think? The reviews on the Mahindra website are very encouraging to say the least.

I'm open to other ideas and places. The only criteria is that it should be peaceful with good food and good hosts. I don't need a pool or anything. I'm sure you guys know what we need when trying to get away from our concrete corporate jungle. I'm looking at a budget of 5-8k for two nights for my wife and I.

Also I'm severely retarded when it comes to remembering routes so I will be heavily dependent on a GPS unit. If you have route co-ordinates that I can use, it will be great!

Looking forward to your replies! Thanks guys!

Tassem.

Last edited by Tassem : 18th August 2011 at 22:55.
Old 19th August 2011, 05:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Of Marriages and Trips.

When we went to coorg we stayed at a resort called Heritage. Here is the link

Heritage Resort Coorg

The place had a old style look to it and its in between green hills a kindof secluded place away from everything. The food was excellent as well as the service. All in all we liked the place. On the photographs in the site the place looks even better now.

Just checked the tariff, i think it has gone up marginally but still reasonable.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 19th August 2011 at 05:23.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 10:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
While I've been to Coorg several times, I like to try a new place every time and I'm a sucker for cozy home-stays. This time around, I heard about Nakoor Volkot, a Mahindra Holidays Home-stay and am keen on trying it out. Has anyone been there? What do you guys think? The reviews on the Mahindra website are very encouraging to say the least.

I'm open to other ideas and places. The only criteria is that it should be peaceful with good food and good hosts. I don't need a pool or anything. I'm sure you guys know what we need when trying to get away from our concrete corporate jungle. I'm looking at a budget of 5-8k for two nights for my wife and I.

Also I'm severely retarded when it comes to remembering routes so I will be heavily dependent on a GPS unit. If you have route co-ordinates that I can use, it will be great!

Looking forward to your replies! Thanks guys!

Tassem.
Hi Tassem,

The first option in Coorg at any time is Orange county. Excellent place and awesome food. But expensive. Talk and see if they can give good rates being off season.

We went to Windflower, another resort but it is not good. food was average. I don't recommend and is not value for money.

Aman Vana Spa, near Kushalnagar is on the banks of Cauvery and has excellent rooms and food is good. they have nice pool and has a quiet ambience. We have been there and is good value if you can bargain from their card rates which they should give being off season. If you dont get good discounts, it is not value for money.

Welcome to the Official website of Amanvana :: Eight Island Luxury Resort at Coorg :: SPA | RESORT | HOLIDAY

If you leave these resorts, then you can also try Tata coffee's Plantation trails. they have properties all around Coorg. I havent tried but being TATA should be good.

Tata Coffee | Products | Plantation trails

I am slightly disappointed with many homestays as they are either not professionaly run or the rooms remain very basic with hardly any good aesthetics. However when i was googling for a friend, i happened to see this home stay called "Forest flower". Looked nice. built on stills and woodden structure give you privacy. Not tesetd by me though. Doesnt see good reviews on Trip advisor though.

Forest Flower - Home Stay - Tourist Attraction

You can also look at Polycad Bungalow which is also part of Mahindra Homestays. You should opt for the rooms in their bungalow which are good. Food is excellent. We have stayed there and Carriappa family are gerat hosts with good taste.

Polaycad Bungalow, Coorg

Bangalore - Coorg is straight forward. Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Belagola - Ilaval - Hunsur - Periyapatna - Kushalnagar - Gonikoppa - Madikeri. Depending upon where you choose to stay, there will be deviations.

Hope it helps
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 11:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have been to KADKANI Resorts @ Ammathi. Nice resort food is good too.
They also have water sports, Golf and other sports too.
Tarriff is slightly expensive.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 14:32   #5
BHPian

If you are not particular about the bigger brands, try this -
Birds of paradise

The hosts are great, the farm is awesome. There is a well kept pool also. Its exactly as you see on the website - actually, I would say it looks better than the pics, when you see it in real. Note - its really a home, not a resort. Also, there is river flowing on one side of the vast compound.

Its not expensive, and should be around 4K for two with food. We had gone there about 1.5 years back, and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is in KushalNagar, about 30km before Madikeri.

Last edited by samm : 19th August 2011 at 14:36.
samm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 19:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The place had a old style look to it and its in between green hills a kindof secluded place away from everything. The food was excellent as well as the service.
Hi Mayank,

Thanks for that! I haven't been there but it looks good. I've sent the link to my wife so that she can take a look as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Hi Tassem,

The first option in Coorg at any time is Orange county. Excellent place and awesome food. But expensive. Talk and see if they can give good rates being off season.

I've been to Orange County. I've got to agree that they're one of the best resorts in Coorg. But the cost is a major turn off and not within my budget for this trip. Orange County is an office favorite as well.

Aman Vana Spa, near Kushalnagar is on the banks of Cauvery and has excellent rooms and food is good.

I absolutely love Amanvana! It's funny how we came to know about this resort. I think it was early 2009 when we were returning from HoneyPot Homestay and wanted to stop for some snacks and tea as the weather was beautiful and we were not in any hurry to get to Bangalore. Saw Amanvana on the way and stopped to ask if the restaurant is open to visitors. It was one of the best places we've ever been to! We were served at the open air restaurant that has a beautiful view of Cauvery and the food was excellent!

As we were leaving, one of the managers struck up a conversation and promised us a good discount if we plan on staying. They had a package (don't remember the name) for 4 nights and 5 days for 20k per couple. We cashed in on it after a couple of months and had a brilliant time. The color themed cottages are simply superb!

If you leave these resorts, then you can also try Tata coffee's Plantation trails. they have properties all around Coorg. I havent tried but being TATA should be good.

This is interesting. I haven't tried any Tata owned stays. To be honest, I didn't know there were any. But as you say, with Tata's reputation, they must be good. Shot to the top of my list now!

I am slightly disappointed with many homestays as they are either not professionaly run or the rooms remain very basic with hardly any good aesthetics. However when i was googling for a friend, i happened to see this home stay called "Forest flower". Looked nice. built on stills and woodden structure give you privacy. Not tesetd by me though. Doesnt see good reviews on Trip advisor though.

I've heard of this place. A friend of mine had been there. I don't remember any complaints but he said the place had nothing great about it either. I think its more of a group friendly stay. I know what you mean about homestays. But I get so many free resort trips from office that I've started loving homestays!

You can also look at Polycad Bungalow which is also part of Mahindra Homestays. You should opt for the rooms in their bungalow which are good. Food is excellent. We have stayed there and Carriappa family are gerat hosts with good taste.

Added to the list now.

Bangalore - Coorg is straight forward. Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Belagola - Ilaval - Hunsur - Periyapatna - Kushalnagar - Gonikoppa - Madikeri. Depending upon where you choose to stay, there will be deviations.

Hope it helps

I've got to thank you for taking the time out to detail all this! I know it wasn't easy and you've even sourced the links for me! Really really appreciate it Fauji!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Hi Sushrutha,

I've heard good things about this place! Its slightly over budget but I feel it may be justified. Added to the list. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
If you are not particular about the bigger brands, try this -
Birds of paradise

The hosts are great, the farm is awesome. There is a well kept pool also. Its exactly as you see on the website - actually, I would say it looks better than the pics, when you see it in real. Note - its really a home, not a resort. Also, there is river flowing on one side of the vast compound.

Its not expensive, and should be around 4K for two with food. We had gone there about 1.5 years back, and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is in KushalNagar, about 30km before Madikeri.
Samm,

I've never heard of this place, but the website looks great! They haven't mentioned the tariff though. I will give them a call tomorrow and find out. If the rates are anywhere close to what you've mentioned, then its an awesome deal! I love homestays! How are the rooms, toilets etc.? Hygienic?

Last edited by Tassem : 19th August 2011 at 19:58.
Old 19th August 2011, 21:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Tassem,

Also look at the new property in Coorg called Green Hills Estate by Neemrana hotels, pioneers in Heritage hotels in India.

Green Hills Estate, Coorg, Karnataka
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:41   #8
BHPian

Thanks Fauji!

This weekend was all about preparation. I made a few phone calls, sent some emails etc. Now waiting for replies and some photographs before I settle on the place.

I'm excited! This may be a small trip, but this is my first trip with the wife.

Tassem.
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:14   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Sushrutha,

I heard that they charge nearly 15-16K per day! Thats very high even by 5 Star standards.
(If you leave out the exotic 5 star hotels). Is it really worth it? Can you confirm those rates?

On another note,

Here is one update regarding Tata Plantation trails. A relative of mine
went there in the recent past and his experience was very bad. They kept
moving him from room to room. Finally the service went so bad, that after a day,
he asked my help find another place mid way. I had to give him address for Coorg International as
thats the only one which came to my mind.

Though he mentioned the location was fantastic, he was let down by bad service.

Overall I had very high hopes about Tata Estate. Even I was planning to go
there someday. Just wanted to share this experience. I wanted to know,
if this is a one-off experience or others have had similar stories as well.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd August 2011 at 19:18.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:32   #10
BHPian

Thanks for that Ampere. I don't think Kadkani charges are that high. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was definitely not that high or else I would've struck it off the list.

Are there any other home stays you'd recommend?
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 21:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
I don't think Kadkani charges are that high. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was definitely not that high or else I would've struck it off the list.
I checked with them and the rates seem to be in the range of 8K per day all meals inclusive.
This now seems to be a "more reasonable" expensive proposition.

Worth trying, if one wants to splurge!
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sushrutha,

I heard that they charge nearly 15-16K per day! Thats very high even by 5 Star standards.
(If you leave out the exotic 5 star hotels). Is it really worth it? Can you confirm those rates?
Nopes.
When we went (close to 2 years back) the rates were around INR 5K+ /cottage.
They have 3 different cottages.
You can check the rates here
Hotel Kadkani Riverside :: Tariff, Coorg Hotel Booking, Coorg Luxury Hotels, Deluxe Hotels In Coorg, 3 Star Hotels in Coorg

Kadkani River Resort, Coorg, Karnataka

Most Viewed