Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 21:42   #1

Need help on Bangalore - Manjeri route

I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Manjeri during next week holidays.
Any info on the route and the road conditions will be very helpful.
From maps I could find the below route as the shortest one.

Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Edakkara - Manjeri

Thanks,
Vasu
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:06   #2
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need help on Bangalore - Manjeri route

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudev_2 View Post

Thanks,
Vasu
There is an active thread discussing the Kerala route and road conditions and it also covers Bangalore-Manjeri so you may want to look at that:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-172.html
Hope this helps.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Vasu
Hi Vasu, I had done Thrisur-Bangalore via Manjeri-Nilambur-Gudalur-Gundlupet-Mysore-Bglore in the 1st week of August. Check the post below for details on my trip alongwith route snaps
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-query-7.html

The roads were excellent then and the scenic beauty was undescribable. I dont think it would have deteriorated much, though other BHPians can share more updated information on this route.
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:43   #4

Thanks Sandy, snaps looks great... nice roads..
I guess it is raining now also, hopefully it won't be heavy rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Hi Vasu, I had done Thrisur-Bangalore via Manjeri-Nilambur-Gudalur-Gundlupet-Mysore-Bglore in the 1st week of August. Check the post below for details on my trip alongwith route snaps
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-query-7.html

The roads were excellent then and the scenic beauty was undescribable. I dont think it would have deteriorated much, though other BHPians can share more updated information on this route.
Old 24th August 2011, 17:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sandy, snaps looks great... nice roads..
I guess it is raining now also, hopefully it won't be heavy rain.
Did Calicut->Nilambur->Gudalur->Mysore->Bangalore drive on monday. Except a couple of points inside Muthumalai (TamilNadu) forest area, the road is in absolutely perfect condition. Early morning drive can help you reach Manjeri in about 7 hours (Bangalore-Mysore=> 2hrs, Mysore-Gudalur=> 2 hrs, Gudalur-Manjeri=> 2 hrs, Breaks=> 1 hr) very comfortably. If you can reach Kanakapura road quickly, you may try that route (NH-209) to reach Gundlupet in about 3 hours as well. If you are travelling on high-traffic days, pick your food-stoppages in Bangalore->Mysore stretch wisely or you may end up a couple of hours just for your food-breaks ! Best would be to carry some food and stop somewhere just before or after Gundlupet after about 3 hours drive !

Rains will not be a big issue in Nilambur route unlike Coorg or Wynad route to north Kerala because of good road condition as well as comparatively lesser traffic.

Last edited by ajithbr : 24th August 2011 at 17:24.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 18:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
If you are travelling on high-traffic days, pick your food-stoppages in Bangalore->Mysore stretch wisely or you may end up a couple of hours just for your food-breaks ! Best would be to carry some food and stop somewhere just before or after Gundlupet after about 3 hours drive !
This is very crucial as this the is the which makes or breaks the time.
My experience is dont stop on Mysore road at all for food. Which ever place you end you with, you will loose time.

Best is to drive all the way to Gundlupet coffee day (CCD). (That is you are OK with sandwich and coffee for BF).

But this helps very well, as you can pass the traffic prone Mysore in those hours when traffic is less.
Old 24th August 2011, 18:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is very crucial as this the is the which makes or breaks the time.
My experience is dont stop on Mysore road at all for food. Which ever place you end you with, you will loose time.

Best is to drive all the way to Gundlupet coffee day (CCD). (That is you are OK with sandwich and coffee for BF).

But this helps very well, as you can pass the traffic prone Mysore in those hours when traffic is less.
The best option in many ways for us had been Kamat Madhuvan as it offers quick and fast service with less crowd(probably those who goto Coorg and Kannur side deviates before Mysore). And also location-wise, being just after Mysore city, people may not prefer this hotel much. But this place is as good (or as bad) as any other Kamat hotel. So, starting around 5 AM, we reach here around 7.30 AM and take half-an-hour break. Then start around 8 AM and we are either at Gudalur or Bathery/Kalpetta around 10.30/11 (depending on photo/wildlife halts) when we stop for a tea-break before resuming for the ghat section.
Old 24th August 2011, 19:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
The best option in many ways for us had been Kamat Madhuvan as it offers quick and fast service with less crowd(probably those who goto Coorg and Kannur side deviates before Mysore). And also location-wise, being just after Mysore city, people may not prefer this hotel much.
The other reason to prefer CCD is they have clean toilets!
That is one of the main reasons I prefer CCD over other places!
Old 24th August 2011, 19:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The other reason to prefer CCD is they have clean toilets!
That is one of the main reasons I prefer CCD over other places!
Agreed. +1 to that is the HP Petrol pump being next to the same. After the same, the next petrol pump is atleast 50 kms away !
Old 21st July 2014, 14:43   #10
BHPian

Friends, any update on this road condition between Mysore and Manjeri Kerala. Need to go on that road on Monday 27 July.

Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 16:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshanks View Post
Friends, any update on this road condition between Mysore and Manjeri Kerala. Need to go on that road on Monday 27 July.

Thanks
Take the Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Thepekadu-Gudalur-Nadugani-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Manjeri route.Roads are in good condition,nadugani ghat was also recently relaid.

https://goo.gl/maps/BeMRb
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 16:54   #12
Team-BHP Support

Just to add to what Ranjit mentioned, beyond Nilambur, you get one road to Pandikkad/Wandoor while the other heads to Edavanna. Take the Edavanna road which would lead you to Manjeri.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 19:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Take the Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Thepekadu-Gudalur-Nadugani-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Manjeri route.Roads are in good condition,nadugani ghat was also recently relaid.

https://goo.gl/maps/BeMRb
Quote:
Just to add to what Ranjit mentioned, beyond Nilambur, you get one road to Pandikkad/Wandoor while the other heads to Edavanna. Take the Edavanna road which would lead you to Manjeri.
Has the Theppakadu-Gudalur stretch also been relaid/patched? I recall it was pretty bad as of March this year?
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 20:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Has the Theppakadu-Gudalur stretch also been relaid/patched? I recall it was pretty bad as of March this year?

I dont recollect having heard anything of that stretch.Coolclouds did the stretch recently probably he might have something new to add

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 13:15   #15
BHPian

Hi all,

Just back from Mysore Aluva Mysore trip 750 KM home to home. Would like to share the road condition:

On forward trip (Mysore -->Aluva) trip took; Mys-->Nanjangud-->Bandipur-->Masanagudi-->Gudalur-->Nilambur-->

The road condition from Teppagadu to Nadugani is atrociously bad. This is between Gudalur and Nilambur about 25 KMS.

From Nadugani right up to Nilambur is between good and OK. The road beyond

Nilambur-->Pattikad-->Perinthalmanna-->Pattambi-->Shoranur-->Wadakkanchery-->Thrissur

The road is good except there is no free stretch and roads are narrow by NH standards. The biggest problem is that the entire route looks like is just one town with no gap between towns. All these are just frustrating to drive.

Beyond Thrissur to Aluva is a NH road, excellent

On way back thinking the NH would be good till Coimbatore took it and god save me

Again Aluva to Thrissur excellent from Thrissur-->Pallakad-->Coimbatore work is going on and it was hell no less. 110 KMS of dust and endurance test.

Coimbatore-->Dimbam-->Chamarajanagar-->T Narasipur-->Mysore. Road excellent

My final observation:

If you are planning to go to Cochin from North Kerala, just forget it via Gudalur or via Coimbatore.

*No (decent) pit stop for ladies in the entire route*

Roads bad, under construction and narrow. Looking at it the best time will be between 2021 and 2023 by which time the roads will be ready and good and by 2023 the roads will have gone bad and the traffic will have quadrupled.

'God's forsaken Country'

Shanks
myshanks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks