Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:03   #1
BHPian

Chennai - Kurnool

Blame it on the lorry strike, there is an urgent need for my dad to travel to Kurnool to deliver few parcels to one of our business clients. So, we are forced to take our Polo for yet another long drive (I'm loving the way my Polo's covering miles ). Now, here is the question:

What is the best route from Chennai to Kurnool and how is the road condition? Mostly, we'll be starting from Chennai at around 11 AM. Is it possible to reach Kurnool by 7-8 PM? mapmyindia says its 517KM and the route is like Chennai - Kanchipuram - Chittoor - Kadappa - Kurnool. Is there any other route that any of you folks have taken and how is the road condition? Is this Chittoor - Kadappa route fine?

Since, we are likely to travel in the next 2 days, any immediate suggestions would help us a lot. The route is totally new & I'm open to listening to you all.
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chennai - Kurnool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
What is the best route from Chennai to Kurnool and how is the road condition? Mostly, we'll be starting from Chennai at around 11 AM. Is it possible to reach Kurnool by 7-8 PM? mapmyindia says its 517KM and the route is like Chennai - Kanchipuram - Chittoor - Kadappa - Kurnool. Is there any other route that any of you folks have taken and how is the road condition? Is this Chittoor - Kadappa route fine?

Since, we are likely to travel in the next 2 days, any immediate suggestions would help us a lot. The route is totally new & I'm open to listening to you all.

What you have listed I think is the best possible route. But I am not sure if you can reach by 8PM if you start by 11AM.
Add an hour to get out of Chennai. A minimum of 12 hours is what I would put (Given that you would be driving on 2L roads).

Better to start by 5-6AM.
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What you have listed I think is the best possible route. But I am not sure if you can reach by 8PM if you start by 11AM.
Add an hour to get out of Chennai. A minimum of 12 hours is what I would put (Given that you would be driving on 2L roads).

Better to start by 5-6AM.
Thanks for the reply mate. But starting at 5-6AM is flatly not possible, as we have to collect some parcel from KPN Guindy office. So, the earliest possible time to leave Guindy is around 10AM.

Will be great, if you can tell this if you have some idea. Another guy that I know in my workplace suggests to reach Kadappa through Renigunta route. How else can I get to Kadappa?
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will be great, if you can tell this if you have some idea. Another guy that I know in my workplace suggests to reach Kadappa through Renigunta route. How else can I get to Kadappa?

Yes there is a Renigunta route. So basically you follow the Tirupatjhi route from Chennai and from Renigunta go
via Rajampet to Kadappa. (It also cuts the distance).

But I am totally unaware of the route status. Plus given you will also drive at night, Chitoor option is preferable.
Folks who have driven there can throw in more light (esp. folks have been doing Hyderabad-Tirupathi).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...te-info-3.html
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Another guy that I know in my workplace suggests to reach Kadappa through Renigunta route. How else can I get to Kadappa?
Yes, Chennai to Krunool via Renigunta and Kadapa is a better option as it will cut down the distance and time. Roads are in good shape. Road from Kadapa to kurnool is also ok inspite of the ongoing 4 laning works. Both the stretches are popular and safe for night driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes there is a Renigunta route. So basically you follow the Tirupatjhi route from Chennai and from Renigunta go
via Rajampet to Kadappa. (It also cuts the distance).

But I am totally unaware of the route status. Plus given you will also drive at night, Chitoor option is preferable.
Folks who have driven there can throw in more light (esp. folks have been doing Hyderabad-Tirupathi)
@ampere
Chennai - Kadapa - Kurnool route is safe for night drives.

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 23rd August 2011 at 11:19.
Night_Hawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:36   #6

Drove from Chennai to Tirupathi last month via Tada-Kalahasthi-Renigunta and the road is very good(barring those surprise speed brakers(or is it breakers) till Renigunta.

In January this year I took the Chennai-Tiruvallur-Tiruthani route to Tirupathi (NH-205) and the road was in a really bad condition. Not sure if it is any better now.

If you intend going via the first route I suggested, please take Chennai bye-pass road from Porur to Red hills and continue straight to Tada and don't forget to take left at Tada
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
via Rajampet to Kadappa. (It also cuts the distance)
I was on that route from Tirupathi (actually Thiruchanoor) to Hyd on 15th Aug. The road condition is excellent and I highly recommend to take the same.
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:41   #8
BANNED

My friend did this exact route in Jan/Feb 2011 in his scorpio and he told roads were BAD ! way back he took nellore rd (if my memory is right)...Do more research and then start for the trip

Quote:
Blame it on the lorry strike, there is an urgent need for my dad to travel to Kurnool to deliver few parcels to one of our business clients. So, we are forced to take our Polo for yet another long drive (I'm loving the way my Polo's covering miles ). Now, here is the question:

Old 24th August 2011, 09:43   #9
BHPian

another option is to take the GQ all he way up to Ongole, and then take a left to get to Kurnool. I am not sure of the condition of the road between Ongole and Kurnool though. Chennai to Ongole will be a breeze.
Old 24th August 2011, 09:52   #10
BHPian

So, looks like the Renigunta route should be fine. Thanks guys for all the suggestions!
Old 26th August 2011, 10:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
So, looks like the Renigunta route should be fine. Thanks guys for all the suggestions!
Looking forward for the updates on the latest road conditions after your trip
Old 26th August 2011, 10:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Looking forward for the updates on the latest road conditions after your trip
Sorry Night_Hawk, I was supposed to go today but got cancelled at the last moment. I had written about taking few parcels right, our client in Kurnool said it may be difficult for us to cross the check posts with the parcels. Hence, we were forced to send it through some other option.

So, couldn't update you about the route.
vw19d is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed