Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 12:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The mega "Road Updates" thread

Udaipur bypass may be in bad condition as there were small potholes while I did Jaipur-Pune last month. Also, lot of construction work happening around Thane.

Edit: Also I found below advise from HVK much useful.

"Bharuch-Ankleshwar bypass on NH8 is to be avoided because of the narrowingf of the River Narmada bridge. When you are approaching from Baroda side, you will near Bharuch (<5 kms) - at the point where you see a large fertliser plant to your right, there is a flyover, which you must NOT take (flyover goes onto the bypass). Instead take a right turn under the flyover, go 1 km or so, then take a left turn into town. Go straight on that road through Bharuch town and immediately after crossing the Bharuch railway station you will cross the Narmada on the Golden Bridge - a narrow 1881-built bridge. Once on the other side, you will reach Ankleshwar town shortly and rejoin NH8 beyond the traffic jams"

Last edited by coolclouds : 15th September 2011 at 12:50.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 12:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Udaipur bypass may be in bad condition as there were small potholes while I did Jaipur-Pune last month. Also, lot of construction work happening around Thane.
Happily, the condition is not that bad now but the traffic jams in the narrow bypass can be a big time waster.

Quote:
Edit: Also I found below advise from HVK much useful.

"Bharuch-Ankleshwar bypass on NH8 is to be avoided because of the narrowingf of the River Narmada bridge. When you are approaching from Baroda side, you will near Bharuch (<5 kms) - at the point where you see a large fertliser plant to your right, there is a flyover, which you must NOT take (flyover goes onto the bypass). Instead take a right turn under the flyover, go 1 km or so, then take a left turn into town. Go straight on that road through Bharuch town and immediately after crossing the Bharuch railway station you will cross the Narmada on the Golden Bridge - a narrow 1881-built bridge. Once on the other side, you will reach Ankleshwar town shortly and rejoin NH8 beyond the traffic jams"
Happily, traffic is better regulated now and cars must keep to the extreme left both directions since they have a separate lane reserved/ priority crossing.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 17:00   #33
BHPian

Folks / Mods, just my personal view that a mega "Road Updates" thread is not a good idea. There will be too much of noise and cross talk in this thread, once there are more posts.

I would think having individual threads for specific routes would be a better idea. Look at the Mumbai Bangalore route thread, for an example.

What does everyone feel?
Old 15th September 2011, 18:48   #34
BHPian

Hi Friends, I am driving from Hyderabad to Goa on 24th of this month. Planning to take the following route.

Hyderabad - Jadcherla - Raichur - Lingsugur - Bagalkot - Belgaum - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa.

Could someone update regarding the current status of this route?
Old 15th September 2011, 20:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresheadala View Post
Hi Friends, I am driving from Hyderabad to Goa on 24th of this month. Planning to take the following route.

Hyderabad - Jadcherla - Raichur - Lingsugur - Bagalkot - Belgaum - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa.

Could someone update regarding the current status of this route?
This route was great before the rains. I have not heard of any significant deterioration ever since.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 00:49   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I would think having individual threads for specific routes would be a better idea. Look at the Mumbai Bangalore route thread, for an example.

What does everyone feel?
+1
Every major NH should have a seperate thread.
Old 19th September 2011, 19:19   #37
mo1
BHPian

Just back from a trip to Guhagar(A famous beach in Maharashtra).
My route was - Pune - Satara - Umbraj - Patan - Koyananagar - kumbharli ghat - Chiplun- Guhagar.
Total Distance - 280 KM one way
Road condition - Overall good. There are 3 rough patches on the route.
1. ~4 KM bad road between Patan and Koyananagar. About 1 km of that road seems to be swept away during the flood.(The road is by the river)
2. A Couple of small rough patches in the kumbharli ghat (< 1 KM)
3. Couple of bad patches just before chiplun (~1 KM)
So, all in all, add ~0.5 hours to your regular travel time. Let's hope the PWD will soon take care of the bad roads.
Old 20th September 2011, 16:38   #38
BHPian

driving to Kabini from Bangalore. google map gives me two options with just 2 km difference one is the SH17 and other is NH209 ( Kanakpura). My preferences are

1. good eateries with clean & hygienic toilet faciliteis
2. good road
3. less traffic

which road should I stick to?

-tortoise
Old 20th September 2011, 20:31   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
driving to Kabini from Bangalore. google map gives me two options with just 2 km difference one is the SH17 and other is NH209 ( Kanakpura). My preferences are

2. good road
3. less traffic

which road should I stick to?

-tortoise
Take the Mysore road anytime.
Its easier that way and you also get good hotels.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 21:14   #40
Team-BHP Support

This is for Ampere, and others who frequent the SH and NH in Karnataka.

We're planning on driving down to Goa on the 1st of October, from Bangalore, via Hubli, Davangere, etc. We intend to stop at Ankola/Aversa for the night and proceed to Goa on the morning of the 2nd. Ours would be a 5-day stay. Any tips, suggestion and advice would be highly appreciated. We're yet to finalize the route and the car we'd be taking.

We need help with both.

What should be the ideal road to take, factoring in the condition of the route, distance to do, etc. We don't mind taking a longer route, as long as it would be a smoother drive. Also note, we're adamant about stopping for the night at Ankola/Aversa.

My father and I are more interested in driving the Jazz, where as my mother is more keen on the Civic. Both are spacious enough for us, and the boot space in both are pretty much the same; the Jazz being more versatile.

We're confused.
Old 21st September 2011, 09:44   #41
BHPian

Suggestions in the bold letter below

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
>> Mysore Road
2. good road
>> Mysore Road with heavy traffic
3. less traffic
>> Kanakapura Road with decent road condition
Selective is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 10:04   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
This is for Ampere, and others who frequent the SH and NH in Karnataka.

We're planning on driving down to Goa on the 1st of October, from Bangalore, via Hubli, Davangere, etc. We intend to stop at Ankola/Aversa for the night and proceed to Goa on the morning of the 2nd. Ours would be a 5-day stay. Any tips, suggestion and advice would be highly appreciated. We're yet to finalize the route and the car we'd be taking.

We need help with both.

What should be the ideal road to take, factoring in the condition of the route, distance to do, etc. We don't mind taking a longer route, as long as it would be a smoother drive. Also note, we're adamant about stopping for the night at Ankola/Aversa.

My father and I are more interested in driving the Jazz, where as my mother is more keen on the Civic. Both are spacious enough for us, and the boot space in both are pretty much the same; the Jazz being more versatile.

We're confused.

Instead of Ankola, stay at Karwar. (Lotus Resorts) (You also get to eat at your favourite hotel there! )
Lotus is right on the highway, just 30 km further!
Ref:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2510067

On roads I think in Oct first week it better to stick to NH rather than the Haveri-Sirsi Option. Ravi Bhat should be able to update better.

Last edited by ampere : 21st September 2011 at 10:06.
Old 21st September 2011, 10:12   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Instead of Ankola, stay at Karwar. (Lotus Resorts) (You also get to eat at your favourite hotel there! )
Lotus is right on the highway, just 30 km further!
Ref:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2510067

On roads I think in Oct first week it better to stick to NH rather than the Haveri-Sirsi Option. Ravi Bhat should be able to update better.
The Haveri-Sirsi route was pretty bad, the last time we took it, if I remember correctly. So should we stick to NH then? The GQ? Any idea about the road conditions up till Davangere and after?

We will be staying the night at our family temple, at Ankola, completing our pooja that should take a few hours, and then proceed to Goa, from Aversa via Karwar, so lunch will be at Amrut.
Old 21st September 2011, 10:19   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Haveri-Sirsi route was pretty bad, the last time we took it, if I remember correctly. So should we stick to NH then? The GQ? Any idea about the road conditions up till Davangere and after?
Its pretty good till Hubli. Pune regulars will can vouch for it.
So that is the reason for Ankola stay.

Else I have heard lots of good inputs about Lotus. Add to it the fact that
it is bang on the highway, makes it even more comfortable.

Last edited by ampere : 21st September 2011 at 10:27.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 10:46   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Folks / Mods, just my personal view that a mega "Road Updates" thread is not a good idea. There will be too much of noise and cross talk in this thread, once there are more posts.

What does everyone feel?
Yes, it is better to have separate threads for major routes. Here the information will get scattered and when some one is looking for a specific route it will be difficult to find the required information.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks