Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2017, 17:04   #511
BHPian

Re: The mega "Road Updates" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi folks.
I need update on the road status from Nashik to Aurangabad via Shirdi and Aurangabad to Indore via Dhule. Any route suggestion or meal halts would be welcome.
Any update on Aurangabad-Lonar-Ajanta-Aurangabad is also welcome.
It might be a late reply to your query, but still i am updating the status here based on my drive on 26th of last month, over Mumbai-Nashik(Trimbak)-Shirdi-Aurangabad stretch.

Below is the route I took, with stops at Trimbak and Shirdi temples on the way and covered on same day.
https://goo.gl/maps/9fDWCs4bHRP2

Mumbai - Trimbak
Distance ~ 175 KM
Time ~ 3 Hrs
Roads are mostly good

Trimbak - Shirdi
Distance ~ 120 KM
Time ~ 2.5 Hrs
Again decent roads

Shirdi - Aurangabad
Distance ~ 110 KM
Time ~ 2 Hrs
Bad roads all the way: patchy, bumpy, broken and potholed

Be careful of two wheeler traffic and unmarked humps. Decent food options are almost null, except for Nashik and Shirdi.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 14:22   #512
BHPian

Route update: Somanathapura to Salem

In my recent travel to Mysore happened to visit Somanathapura. It's a must visit for lovers of Indian Temple architecture. I had to travel back to Salem from Somanathapura. I traveled through the Kollegal-Male-Mahadeshwara route, as per Google directions, though initially I was planning the Dhimbam Ghat road (i.e) via Chamarajanagar-Sathyamangalam-Gobi-Bhavani route. I turned left at Mooguru unknowingly as per Google Maps, which made me to travel the Kollegal route. It was a big mistake as I have to shell out around 2 additional hours to reach Salem. The road is a mix of good, bad and worse. Worse ones are mostly the forest roads which are mostly 1 to 1 and half lanes without any tarmac. There were at least a few vehicles around till Male-Mahadeshwara, after which there are no vehicles and you are left alone in a forest stretch that is devoid of any roads for most part. In the night it is certainly a scary stretch. After Kollegal you can't have any break except at Male-Mahadeshwara or till you reach Mettur. I would suggest everybody to avoid this route if possible.
Old 4th January 2017, 15:29   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
2. Ghodbunder Junction - I dont know if this is some special measure because of the rush, or a daily affair.
The Versova bridge right at the junction is under repairs, hence this rationing of traffic. The heavy vehicles are being diverted through other route so this junction should have been relatively smoother. I guess must have been holdiay rush.

Quote:
Hi folks.
I need update on the road status from Nashik to Aurangabad via Shirdi and Aurangabad to Indore via Dhule. Any route suggestion or meal halts would be welcome.
I recently did the Thane-Aurangabad trip via Nashik-Yeola-Vaijapur. The road from Nashik till few kms after Yeola is 4 laned after which it becomes 2 laned till Vaijapur. At Vaijapur junction there is an option to visit Shirdi which was about 80 kms (don't know the road condition but looked like 4 laned). The other option is Take Nashik - Shirdi route which is good till Sinnar after which bad roads start.

Aurangabad - Ajanta road is 2 laned and good with very few bad patches. Early mornings best time to travel this route. Was planning for Lonar but skipped at last moment due to family pressure.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 16:49   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Aurangabad - Ajanta road is 2 laned and good with very few bad patches. Early mornings best time to travel this route.
Can second this. Recently travelled Bhusaval-Jamner-Sillod-Ajanta-Aurangabad. Roads are good with no major potholes and few bad patches. You can easily do 70-80kmph in most sections. The Ajanta Caves ghat road has been resurfaced some time back and is still in great condition. Did this stretch early morning in 3 hours flat with normal driving.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 10:41   #515
BHPian

Vasai Creek Bridge woes : Best time to cross it?

Hello. The Vasai Creek Bridge on NH8 is in pathetic condition. Since forever that I know. For some family work I will have to regularly cross this zone. So want to know if anyone has information on best times to cross, when traffic is least.

The scene: Since the bridge is in bad shape, the authorities release on way traffic over the bridge while the other way has to wait. Since there is tremendous rush on this highway (it connects Mumbai to Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Delhi etc), the waiting times are enormous. Last night we waited for about 85 minutes before being able to cross.

I was hoping certain times of the day be better, since last night there were tonnes of trucks, trying to enter the truck release time as well.
Old 19th January 2017, 10:34   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
Hi! Did you go on your trip? If yes, which route did you take and how was the road condition? I'm leaving for Bhowali (Bhimtal) day after tomorrow.
Hello! I'm planning a trip to Munsiyari - Kumaon, Uttarakhand from Delhi on the 26th weekend. Can someone please advise as to the best route, must stops and approximate travel time?

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th January 2017, 13:33   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordavenger View Post
Hello! I'm planning a trip to Munsiyari - Kumaon, Uttarakhand from Delhi on the 26th weekend. Can someone please advise as to the best route, must stops and approximate travel time?

Thanks in advance.
Delhi-Moradabad-Haldwani (Bypass)-Almora-Bagheshwar-Munsyari.Should take you around 15hours of drive time.

If you want to explore a scenic route,you can take the Bageshwar-Thal-Tejam-Birthi-Munsyari or in the reverse..Tank up along the route whenever possible,as fuel shortages can happen in these regions quite frequently.

If keen on visiting the Patal Bhuvaneshwari temple,you can also take the Munsyari-Thal-Berinag-PB-Pithoragarh-Mirtola-Almora.Not sure of most recent conditions,but shouldn't be bad these roads.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 22:44   #518
BHPian

Re: Vasai Creek Bridge woes : Best time to cross it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parambyte View Post
Hello. The Vasai Creek Bridge on NH8 is in pathetic condition. Since forever that I know. For some family work I will have to regularly cross this zone. So want to know if anyone has information on best times to cross, when traffic is least.

The scene: Since the bridge is in bad shape, the authorities release on way traffic over the bridge while the other way has to wait. Since there is tremendous rush on this highway (it connects Mumbai to Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Delhi etc), the waiting times are enormous. Last night we waited for about 85 minutes before being able to cross.

I was hoping certain times of the day be better, since last night there were tonnes of trucks, trying to enter the truck release time as well.
I have traveled on this route 5-6 times in the past week. It was usually ok during daytime. Best was during 2-6pm when I did not have to stop and crossed without waiting.

If you are coming from Dahisar side then this route is much better for reducing waiting time, although the road is not that great in patches.
Attached Thumbnails
The mega "Road Updates" thread-vasai-creek-route.jpg  

Old 30th January 2017, 10:38   #519
BHPian

Friends, I am planning a road trip to Kerala with my family (wife, 5yr old son and me) and here's the most likely route I'll take. This will be around the end of March.
This is what google says, any suggestions on route, eateries, attractions etc?
Attached Images

Old 30th January 2017, 12:26   #520
BHPian

The drive from Mangalore to Kochi through Kerala is a nightmare and best avoided as the road is narrow and has very high traffic density. The private buses on this route are maniacs and downright dangerous. I would suggest drive to Jog falls from Goa and take Haassan-Bangalore highway and enter Kerala from Munnar via Mysore.

NH17 passing through Khed, Chiplun is very scenic and you can do Mumbai-Goa in less than 10 hours.

Have a great trip.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 12:43   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSideDown View Post
Friends, I am planning a road trip to Kerala with my family (wife, 5yr old son and me) and here's the most likely route I'll take. This will be around the end of March.
This is what google says, any suggestions on route, eateries, attractions etc?
I am assuming you have chosen the route deliberately,else the quickest route would be Pune-Hiriyur-Chikkanayakanahalli-Huliyar-Turuvukere-Nelligere-Melkote-Pandavpura-Mysore-Gundlupet-Gudalur-Ooty-Coimbatore-Thrissur-Angamaly-Kumarakom-Kumily(Periyar)-Munnar-Theni-Salem-Electronics City-Dharwad-Khanapur-Goa-Amboli-Kolhapur-Pune

This way you can avoid driving on the NH66(old NH17) between Goa and Kerala which sees very dense and slow moving traffic.It would tire you out,especially between Mangalore and Kochi via this route.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 12:57   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parambyte View Post
Hello. The Vasai Creek Bridge on NH8 is in pathetic condition. Since forever that I know. For some family work I will have to regularly cross this zone. So want to know if anyone has information on best times to cross, when traffic is least..
If starting from Mumbai - anytime post 10pm till 5am is a good time wherein your wait time will be around 10-15 mins max.
If coming towards Mumbai - 8am till 4-5pm is good; take the wrong way from Hotel Suvi Palace (it is officially allowed for cars).

Avoid this route on weekends as there is mad rush throughout the day.

Anyone who's travelled from Mumbai to Ahmedabad recently - requesting an update on the Bharuch Bridge scene as I'm travelling to Rajasthan on 17th Feb.
Old 30th January 2017, 14:16   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
The drive from Mangalore to Kochi through Kerala is a nightmare and best avoided as the road is narrow and has very high traffic density. The private buses on this route are maniacs and downright dangerous. I would suggest drive to Jog falls from Goa and take Haassan-Bangalore highway and enter Kerala from Munnar via Mysore.

NH17 passing through Khed, Chiplun is very scenic and you can do Mumbai-Goa in less than 10 hours.

Have a great trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I am assuming you have chosen the route deliberately,else the quickest route would be Pune-Hiriyur-Chikkanayakanahalli-Huliyar-Turuvukere-Nelligere-Melkote-Pandavpura-Mysore-Gundlupet-Gudalur-Ooty-Coimbatore-Thrissur-Angamaly-Kumarakom-Kumily(Periyar)-Munnar-Theni-Salem-Electronics City-Dharwad-Khanapur-Goa-Amboli-Kolhapur-Pune

This way you can avoid driving on the NH66(old NH17) between Goa and Kerala which sees very dense and slow moving traffic.It would tire you out,especially between Mangalore and Kochi via this route.
Great information, appreciate the help!

Yes I chose the route deliberately as I wanted to visit all those places, and if possible, not go through the same places/roads again in the trip.
I have done the Pune-Goa route a number of times via different routes and for this trip, that part is not the attraction for me. Goa will be last leg of the journey. And the first one Mysore.
So I guess, I could do Pune-Mysore-Munnar-Kochi-Ooty-Mangalore-Goa-Pune. That way the driving time will be more evenly distributed without increasing the total time that much. And I would avoid the Kochi-Mangalore route.

Thoughts?
Old 2nd February 2017, 16:15   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Anyone who's travelled from Mumbai to Ahmedabad recently - requesting an update on the Bharuch Bridge scene as I'm travelling to Rajasthan on 17th Feb.
the new bridge on NH8 (next to old Sardar bridge) is almost ready, but not open for public travels yet. however one section of the old bridge (will be on other side if driving from Mumbai side) is allowed for traffic from both directions.

some discussions happened on thread

regards,
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 06:42   #525
BANNED

We will be on a week long vacation to Kutch from New Delhi and as a driving fiend will ride through our Innova. Google maps, has two alternate routes between Sirohi(Rajasthan)-Deesa(Gujarat).

1. Sirohi-Palanpur-Deesa on NH-27 148Km

2. Sirohi-Deesa NH-168 and GJ-SH7 121 Km

Surprisingly time taken in latter is more. Any takes on this?

My Second query is on similar alternates shown by Google between Lathpat(Gujarat)-Shaam e Sarhad(Hodko Village)

1.Lakhpat-Hodko Village GJ-SH 42 170Km
2.Lakhpat-Hodko Village GJ-SH 42 114 Km

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks