Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:05   #1
BHPian

Suggestion & Optimization for Gujarat Trip

Hello All,
Planning a Gujarat Trip in Oct'11 during the Diwali on my Xylo. After reading through many TLs, thought of clubbing Dwarka, Somnath, Diu, Gir. Myself, wife & kid would start from Mumbai to Vadodara, where we would pick rest of family to proceed for the actual trip.

# Snapshot of Google Map:
Suggestion & Optimization for Gujarat Trip-gmapgujv1.jpg

# Snapshot of Trip Planner:
Suggestion & Optimization for Gujarat Trip-guj-planner-v1.jpg

# Trip Planner sheet: pcpranav - Gujarat (Oct'11) Plan v1.xls

Kindly assist me to finalize the plan so that I could proceed for some hotel bookings. I do feel the the circuit could be optimized in terms of route or time, hence seeking valuable suggestions.

Mods: if you could allow posting this, Im sure above planner could be enhanced.

thanks & regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 22:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestion & Optimization for Gujarat Trip

Quote:
D6 Wed 26 Oct'11 Car Diu Vadodara 400 9.00
Road ahead from Somnath towards Diu was very bad couple of months back - Any reasons of going to Diu specifically since you are from Mumbai - ofcourse for people from Gujarat this is must . If you must go to Diu than you can come back to Rajkot via kodinar & Junagad this will be longer but time taken should be less .

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd September 2011 at 22:07.
Old 2nd September 2011, 22:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Some random thoughts:
  1. Why do you want to go from Vadodara to Dwarka and backtrack again to Somnath, as your Excel sheet shows?
  2. Suggest you go from Mumbai to Jamnagar first in one day (about 13 hours driving time). See #5 for explanation.
  3. Go to Sasan Gir if you must, but after the monsoons and with the heavy foliage, your chances of spotting lions would be limited. And being Diwali season, accommodation would be limited and expensive.
  4. The drive from Somnath to Dwarka (or in reverse if you follow my suggestion - i.e. travel Jamnagar >> Dwarka & Beyt Dwarka >> Somnath) is beautiful, along the sea shore.
  5. At Jamnagar, take a full day trip to Pirotan Island. Not many people get a chance to go there, mainly because the tide has to be right for you to go and return the same day. 21-22 October appears to be that time when the tide is high early in the morning, then goes down during the day to allow you to explore the sea bed, and come back to Jamnagar on the high tide again in the evening. Check here for details about Pirotan Island, and talk to Hotel President, Jamnagar - the owner is a walking library of info on Pirotan.
  6. Diu around / on Diwali should be noisy, boisterous, chock-a-block with mad young drivers in GJ-registered vehicles - so choose your hotel at the other end of the island, not on the main road.
  7. Diu to Mumbai is again a 13 hour drive, why take a stopover at Vadodara (unless you are visiting someone of course).
  8. Diu - Vadodara preferably via Amreli >> Botad >> Limbdi rather than NH8E, where Una >> Mahuva is a miserable broken down stretch (has been for the last 15+ years, unless something radical happened in that area in the last 1 year).

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 2nd September 2011 at 22:48.
Old 3rd September 2011, 08:13   #4
BHPian

As SS traveller said, the road from Somnath to Dwarka is probably the best drive in India IMHO.
In Diu, however, the main beach is disappointing. Too commercial, and because of all the water scooters etc. the water smells of fuel. However, on the other side of the island there are some really beautiful, virgin beaches -- although mostly unsuitable for bathing.
I would also suggest a small detour to Lothal on the Vadodara Jamnagar route -- if Indus valley civilisation excites you, of course. Especially the dam and lock gates are very impressive.
Old 6th September 2011, 09:06   #5
BHPian

@Turbanator: Diu is planned only to see a new city; thanks for your route guideline

@ SS-Traveller: as I mentioned in my opening para, rest of family members to be picked from Vadodara, so will have a halt there at both times. I'd read much about Pirotan on TBHP and other sites and already in touch with Mr.Mustak - awaiting my dates to be finalized & then he can check for Pirotan permission. As of his initial email, he found permission to be difficult, alternatively suggested Narara MNP.

@chinkara: thanks for the inputs, but Lothal is not on radar.

I would re-work on the plan and update this thread soon.

thanks,
Pranav
Old 14th October 2011, 15:52   #6
BHPian

Gujarat Trip in December - Need advice to better my Itinerary.

Hi all, I am planning for a Gujarat trip in December from Chennai. This is my first trip to Gujarat and need your help & advice to plan my trip. I will be traveling with wife, parents and 2 kids (ages around 5 & 3). I have already booked my flight tickets to Ahmedabad. Below is my itinerary. We have planned to do some puja in Somnath on 27th December and Nageshwar on 28th December. The rest I have planned around those days.

Dec 24th, Saturday - Start from Chennai. Booked early morning flight to Ahmedadad. Reach Ahmedabad around 10:00 AM. Local Sight Seeing (What places to see?). Night halt at Ahmedabad.

Dec 25th, Sunday - Start to Bhavnagar. Visit Koliyak shiva temple. Heard that the sea recedes the day after the full moon day. Dec 25th happens to be a similar day. Has anyone visited this place? What time would be the best to reach there?

Dec 26th, Monday - Visit Sasan Gir. How do i reach Sasan Gir from Bhavnagar? Should i go via Diu or is there an alternate route directly to Sasan from Bhavnagar? (Google maps suggests some alternate route but none of them seems to be a highway. Wondering how the road conditions would be) Google maps suggests around 4 hours. Can I start from Bhavnagar and reach sasan by night or should i start in the morning from Bhavnagar? Planning to do safari and then night halt at Somnath.

Dec 27th, Tuesday - Full day at Somnath (Pooja at Somnath for half-a-day and the rest of the day sight seeing)

Dec 28th, Wednesday - Nageshwar (Pooja at Nageshwar for half-a-day and the rest of the day sight seeing). How is the accommodation facility in Nageshwar?

Dec 29th, Thursday - Betty Dwarka in the morning. Night halt at Jamnagar. May be Hotel President as suggested by many in their travelouges. What else can be covered in between?

Dec 30th, Friday - Pirotan or Narara Island. Reach Ahmedabad by night. Any other places on the way?

Dec 31st, Saturday - Half a day sight seeing at Ahmedadad. Flight to Chennai at 06:30 PM

I am planning to hire an Innova from Ahmedabad for the entire trip. Hope it doesn't cost too much. Or are there self driven cars available for rent that I can use for the trip?

Please advice.
Old 14th October 2011, 16:06   #7
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gujarat Trip in December - Need advice to better my Itinerary.

We did a similar trip as your from 1 to 8th. You may refere my TL.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2544688

Quote:
Dec 24th, Saturday - Start from Chennai. Booked early morning flight to Ahmedadad. Reach Ahmedabad around 10:00 AM. Local Sight Seeing (What places to see?). Night halt at Ahmedabad.
Sabarmati ashram
Laxmi narayan temple
Calico textile museum
Dastan vintage fun world ( Have the Gujarati Thali)
Adalaj
Akshardham temple

Quote:
Dec 26th, Monday - Visit Sasan Gir. How do i reach Sasan Gir from Bhavnagar? Should i go via Diu or is there an alternate route directly to Sasan from Bhavnagar? (Google maps suggests some alternate route but none of them seems to be a highway. Wondering how the road conditions would be) Google maps suggests around 4 hours. Can I start from Bhavnagar and reach sasan by night or should i start in the morning from Bhavnagar? Planning to do safari and then night halt at Somnath.
Bhavnagar to Veraval, from Veraval to Talala, Talala - Gir. Easily doable in a day. Roads are not in great condition.

Quote:
Dec 27th, Tuesday - Full day at Somnath (Pooja at Somnath for half-a-day and the rest of the day sight seeing)
You can visit Diu, Veraval, Visit Bhakla thirth

Dec 28th, Wednesday - Nageshwar (Pooja at Nageshwar for half-a-day and the rest of the day sight seeing). How is the accommodation facility in Nageshwar?
Stay a Dwarka. Nageshwar is 18kms from there.

Quote:
Dec 29th, Thursday - Betty Dwarka in the morning. Night halt at Jamnagar. May be Hotel President as suggested by many in their travelouges. What else can be covered in between?

Dec 30th, Friday - Pirotan or Narara Island. Reach Ahmedabad by night. Any other places on the way?
President should be good as they will arrange tour for Narara or Pirotan.
Old 15th October 2011, 09:32   #8
BHPian

Re: Gujarat Trip in December - Need advice to better my Itinerary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
We did a similar trip as your from 1 to 8th. You may refere my TL.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2544688
Thanks V&V. Yes. I am closely following your thread to know what lies ahead.
Old 18th October 2011, 10:07   #9
BHPian

Hello All,
thanks for helping in my above plan, I also see other plans populating herein. But unfortunately, I had to cancel this trip. Just realized, as a good TBHP citizen, I should convey the outcomes of such planning: either post a link of the undergone TL, or in my case post the cancel status.

regards,
Pranav
Old 27th March 2013, 12:01   #10
BHPian

this long outstanding Saurathtra trip is just finished. The trip was a religious and also with coastal views. Wife and daughter had already reached Vadodara by train few days back. Later I started from Mumbai in our Xylo, pick them from Vadodara and proceed on our trip - just three of us.

below is the quick summary of the trip:

Day-1: Fri-22Mar13: starting from Vadodara -
- Sarangpur (Hanumar temple)
- Gadhada (Swaminarayan temple)
- Virpur (Jalarambapa temple)
- Gondal (Orchard Palace)
- Rajkot (night stay)

Day-2: Sat-23Mar13: starting from Rajkot -
- Dwarka (Dwarkadhish temple)
- Nageshwar Temple and Gopi Talav (lake)
- Mithapur town (Tata Chem)
- Dwarka (night stay)

Day-3: Sun-24Mar13: starting from Dwarka -
- Harshad / Miyani (Harsiddhi mata temple)
- Madhavpur (lovely beach along side road)
- Chorwad (glimpse of Dhirubhai Ambani house)
- Somnath temple (+light & sound show)
- Somnath (night stay)

Day-4: Mon-25Mar13: starting from Somnath -
- Jetpur Navagadh (traditional clothes factories)
- Gondal (Naulakha Palace)
- Rajkot (night stay)

Day-5: Tues-26Mar13: starting from Rajkot -
- Chotila (Chamunda mata temple)
- Vadodara (night stay)

will return to Mumbai in a day, vacation is ending but the lovely memories of our trip remains forever.

Google Map Link:
http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...&via=8&t=m&z=7

later will try to write a detailed TL.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 12:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Need suggestion for Gujarat tour - January

I am planning a bike tour to Gujarat. Want to explore Rann of Kutch and other colours of Gujarat. Leaves are for 7 nights and 8 days, or for 9 nights 10 days (based on train schedule)

Any help with the following itinerary please? Is is doable on bike? I need to either reduce one day or add one day from the below itinerary.

Day 1 Arrival at Ahmedabad and departure for Littele Rann of Kutchh via Modhera . Dinner and night halt at Bajana/ Dasada 230 kms
Day 2 Morning visit to wild ass sanctuary after lunch departure for Bhuj Dinner and night halt at Bhuj 270 kms
Day 3 Breakfast and local sightseeing of Bhuj after lunch visit of Mandvi beach and palace. Dinner and night halt at Bhuj 140 kms
Day 4 Departure for Junagadh via Gondal . visit Navlakha palace and vintage car museum.arrival at Junagadh. Dinner and night halt at Junagadh 350 kms
Day 5 Morning visit to local places like Darbar hall museum, Ashoka rock edict, Uparkot. Lunch and departure for SasanGir . evening visit to lion sanctuary . dinner and night halt at SasanGir 60 kms
Day 6 Morning visit to lion sanctuary enroute somnath . Departure for Diu. Dinner and night halt at Diu 145 kms
Day 7 Morning sightseeing of Diu .Lunch and departure for Palitana . Dinner aand night halt at Palitana 230 kms
Day 8 Early morning visit to Palitana Jain temples at Shetrunjaya Hills, Lunch and departure for Ahmedabad via Lothal excavation of indus valley civilization .Dinner and night halt at Ahmedabad 300 kms
Day 9 Full day local sightseeing at Ahmedabad 0 kms

I am not too keen on walking up to Palitana, Can I change the halt to something else enroute?

Last edited by ani_meher : 31st October 2014 at 12:18.
Old 1st November 2014, 20:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need suggestion for Gujarat tour - January

Any pointers on this? I am considering this route:

Day 1 Ahmedabad - Bajana/Dasada Stay.
Visit Modhera and return to hotel.
Day 2 Visit to wild ass sanctuary - lunch - Bhuj via Palasava exit. Stay at Bhuj
Day 3 Local sightseeing of Bhuj - visit of Mandvi beach and palace - night halt at Bhuj
Day 4 Bhuj - Junagadh
visit Navlakha palace and vintage car museum enroute (is this worth the detour?)
Day 5 Morning Junagadh local tour. Lunch and departure for SasanGir . evening visit to lion sanctuary . dinner and night halt at SasanGir
Day 6 Morning Lion safari (any pointers?) - lunch - Somnath - Diu halt.
Day 7 First half sightseeing of Diu .Lunch and departure for Ahmedabad.
Day 8 Full day local sightseeing at Ahmedabad, night train back home.

Few questions:

1. I reach Ahmedabad at 6.30am. How is this plan of going to Bajana/Dasada, checking in, and then visiting Modhera? It increases 50kms travel, but we can park the luggage safely and rest if needed.
2. Safe parking/hotel at Wild ass sanctuary? Is it ok to travel on Rann on a bike with luggage?
3. Navalakha palace requires a certain detour. Am I better off not visiting it and reaching Junagadh early?
4. Diu to Amhedabad, what is the realistic time frame?

Last edited by ani_meher : 1st November 2014 at 20:14.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:43   #13
BHPian

My First Ever Road Trip Planning - 9 Days / 3500 Kms - Gujrat

Seven Months ago I brought my first car home. It took me about 3 weeks to get used to driving through daily routines of driving for half an hour. Now with over 5000 Kms. driven already, the urge to go on a road trip just kept getting bigger and bigger.

After much persuasion of my family members (my mother and my wife), we have finally decided to go on a road trip to Gujrat. It took some persuasion as they were not sure how come I am so confident to go out on a road trip of almost 3500 Kms in 9 days. This is not a travelogue but a prelude to a possible upcoming travelogue. Well to put up a good travelogue, I need some suggestions for this road trip.

So here it begins.

Number of People – 10

Cars
  1. Honda City (Own Car)
  2. Mahindra Xylo (Hired Car)

Here is the currently drafted itenary:

Day 1 – Mumbai to Ahmedabad (Approx. 575 Kms including Akshardham temple)
Leave Mumbai (Near Thane) at around 06:00 AM and reach Ahmedabad by around 03:00 PM. The route for Mumbai to Ahmedabad is pretty much the same that is used regularly by a lot of people.

Route: Thane --> Vapi --> Navsari --> Ankleshwar --> Vadodara --> Ahmedabad

Check-in to the Hotel & Freshen-up a little. Leave for Akshardham Temple at 04:30 PM and return by 08:30 PM

Day 2 – Day Tour of Ahmedabad (Approx. 150 Kms)

This would include Adalaj Step Well, Sabarmati Ashram, Calico Textile Museum, Auto World Vintage Car Museum, Hutheesing jain Temple, Evening at Kankaria Lake.

Day 3 – Head to Junagadh via Gir National Park (Approx. 425 Kms)

Check-Out from Hotel and leave for Gir National Park around 07:30 AM. Plan to reach Gir National Park by 02:00 AM. Have time to do the Open Jeep Safari and have booked online permits for the same. If exhausted during the trip, then Devalia Safari might be opted for.

Route: Ahmedabad --> Sarkhej --> Botad --> Amreli --> Gir

Leave Gir National Park at around 06:30 PM and drive to Junagadh hotel. Reach Hotel by 08:30 PM

Route: Gir National Park --> Sassan Gir --> Mendarda --> Junagadh

Option Route: Gir National Park --> Visavadar --> Bilkha --> Junagadh (Majorly State Highway on this route but Google shows less Kms and more travel time. Don’t know why. Inputs are more than welcome.

Day 4 – Junagadh Sight-seeing and head to Dwarka via Somnath (Approx. 350 Kms)

At 08:00 AM, Check-Out and Head for Sight-seeing at Mahabat Maqbara and Upperkot fort. Later, head towards Somnath temple and post that head towards Dwarka. Expected to Reach Dwarka by 09:00 PM

Route: Junagadh --> Somnath (Via NH 8D / SH 31) --> Porbandar --> Dwarka (Via NH 8E / SH 6)

Day 5 – Dwarka to Bhuj (Approx. 450 Kms)

Head for some early morning Darshan of Dwarka Temple and Nageshwara temple and the surrounding areas. Reach back Hotel by around 11:30 AM, Check-out and head towards Bhuj by 12:00 Noon. Expected to reach Bhuj (Devpur Homestay – 40 Kms away from Bhuj) by 09:00 PM

Route: Dwarka --> Jamnagar --> Through NH 8A / SH 6 upto Bachau --> Bhuj

Day 6 – Day Tour of Bhuj (Approx. 150 Kms)

This would include Prag Mahal, Aina Mahal, Chattardi, Swaminarayan Temple, Kutch Museum. Trying to push in Lakhpat on this day and possibly move some of the above to Day 7. Suggestions would be very helpful.

Day 7 – Rann of Kutch (Approx. 225 Kms)

Day 7 Specially reserved for the Rann of Kutch. It’s a Full Moon Day and all the above itenary were made around this day. We actually switch hotels on this day. From Devpur Homestay, which is 40 Kms away from Bhuj we move to a Hotel in Bhuj. This was needed as we might be late by the time we arrive from Kutch after enjoying the evening time Full-Moon in the Rann. So dinner and stuff should not suffer.
The morning and afternoon till 03:00 PM is free. Hence, thinking about pushing a couple of sight-seeing from Day 6 to Day 7, to push in Lakhpat on Day 6. My only Worry is whether this arrangement would turn out to be too hectic.

Day 8 – Bhuj to Vadodara via Mehsana (Approx. 525 Kms)

Not sure how we are going to do this are reaching late, but expect to check-out and leave Bhuj by 08:00 AM and head towards Mehsana to visit the Modhera Sun Temple. Further on, we head towards Vadodara for the night halt with a target to reach Baroda by 07:30 PM
Route: Bhuj --> Bachau --> Exit onto NH 15 and continue till Radhanpur --> Harij --> Modhera Sun temple --> Mehsana --> Ahmedabad --> Vadodara

Day 9 – Vadodara to Mumbai (Approx. 400 Kms)

Sight-Seeing of Vadodara City starting early morning at around 07:30 AM till 01:00 PM. Have lunch and head back to Mumbai. Plan to Reach home by 09:30 PM.

Route: Vadodara --> Ankleshwar --> Navsari --> Vapi --> Thane

Hotels choosen for Stay:
  1. Ahmedabad – Ginger Hotel (2 Nights)
  2. Junagadh – Hotel Harmony (1 Night)
  3. Dwarka – Hotel Nand Nandan (1 Night)
  4. Bhuj – Devpur Homestay (2 Nights)
  5. Bhuj – Regenta Resort by Royal Orchid (1 Night)
  6. Vadodara – The Fern Residency (1 Night)

Hotel selections have been based on Trip-advisor ratings. Hopefully, I shouldn’t be going wrong based on that.

I had a few queries of my own apart from the ‘suggestions welcome’ thing.
  1. How are the roads as per the routes indicated?
  2. This is my first ever Road trip to anywhere. I have considered an hour or two extra for travel based on the travel times indicated by Google Maps?
  3. I drive a Honda City 2014 V MT Petrol. Did my 3rd Free Servicing (includes oil change) around 20-Oct-2014 (a month back). We leave on 30-Nov-14. Would I require a general check-up once again before going on the road trip?
  4. Need to buy engine Oil (Non-Synthetic, haven’t completed 10K Kms yet. Read on the forums to not use Synthetic oils before 10K Kms) based on the Specifications as per Honda Manual. Any suggestions.
  5. I expect an FE of around 13-14 kmpl. (I know it will be much higher than that since Mumbai-Pune gives close to 16 kmpl with 4 people on board) but not sure with 4 people and luggage on board.
  6. How frequent are the COCO petrol pumps on these routes?
  7. Since, I have 6 ladies on the trip, how are the roads and places from Safety point of view? Also what about places on the routes for Bio-Breaks?
  8. I am yet to plan the morning half for Vadodara Sight-seeing. Things in mind are Laxmi Vilas Palace, Sayaji Baug, Kirti Stambh, Baroda Musuem & Picture Gallery & Nazarbaug Palace. I am sure that I will not be able to do all these in half a day but what’s the best way to go about?
  9. Navigation tool will be my Samusng Galaxy Note through Google Maps with 3G and a Couple of Other phones as back-up. Map-factor maps for Android for off-line navigation also installed on my tablet. Hopefully this should suffice. Any comments?

The Numerous Forums on Gujrat and Kutch Road-Trips and some Dos and Don'ts of Road-Trips have been a blessing in planning this. Some inputs from BHPians over forums, mails and phone-calls too have been helpful. Apologies if anybody's suggestions have not been considered as I might have had some other reason to deviate from that.

Additional Suggestions, if any, from BHPians would really help in having an even more wonderful, memorable and Hassle free road-trip.
Old 22nd November 2014, 14:34   #14
BHPian

Re: My First Ever Road Trip Planning - 9 Days / 3500 Kms - Gujrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Additional Suggestions, if any, from BHPians would really help in having an even more wonderful, memorable and Hassle free road-trip.
Hi Tejas. I have done 2 road trips in my SX4, one of Saurashtra in 2011 and other of Kutch in 2013. Enjoyed both immensely. You are doing both in one road trip and much less days. Bravo.
According to me your schedule is very hectic, unless of course you enjoy driving a lot. Roads were good in both Kutch and Saurashtra. However I think average speed is expected to be 60kmph. So you would be spending more time in the car and in hotel sleeping than actually seeing the places. Of course, it is one's own decision but I couldn't really do it this way.
But the schedule seems doable.
Amhedabad - Gir : You have indicated 425 kms but google shows some 328kms. I have no idea how the road would be as it is not a highway. Please check with some others. I have gone via Rajkot, Gondal, Junagadh route. It is all NH and good roads, but longer. Traffic to be expected near Rajkot. It is really worth staying at Gir for 2 nights, we had found 1 night to be inadequate. Really peaceful. However I think you have the hotel booked at Junagadh. If not maybe you can stay at Gir, next day go to Somnath, skip Junagadh and reach Dwarka directly.
Bhuj 1 day is okay but not sure you can cover Lakhpat as it's far away, 134kms. I think you should cover Bhuj and come back to Devpur.
We had gone to Hodka from Devpur via Than-Nirona-Bhirandariya. It's just 109kms and narrow isolated road, not the highway. But wonderful. However, it seems you want to see the rann in the night, so not sure how safe this road is. You should ask Krutarthji (Devpur) for advice, he most helpful.
Sorry if my advice is a bit negative but I do believe that it is worth spending time at different places rather than just touch and go. Having said that, the road journey is also wonderful so if driving does not tire you, then I am sure you will have a great time. Kutch is a different place and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
I also own a City now, iDtec, and looking forward to a road trip in the future in this car. Please let us know your experience of driving the city.
All the best and drive safe.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd November 2014 at 08:47.
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 16:10   #15
BHPian

Re: My First Ever Road Trip Planning - 9 Days / 3500 Kms - Gujrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Hi Tejas. I have done 2 road trips in my SX4, one of Saurashtra in 2011 and other of Kutch in 2013. Enjoyed both immensely. You are doing both in one road trip and much less days. Bravo.
According to me your schedule is very hectic, unless of course you enjoy driving a lot. Roads were good in both Kutch and Saurashtra. However I think average speed is expected to be 60kmph. So you would be spending more time in the car and in hotel sleeping than actually seeing the places. Of course, it is one's own decision but I couldn't really do it this way.
But the schedule seems doable.
Thanks a lot for your advice. Yes, I actually know that what I have planned is going to be hectic. But not from the driving point of view but from the traveling point of view for the people who are going to sit in the car. I have my wife's cousin with me as a back-up driver. If somehow driving does tire me, which I really don't think it will happen too many times, I will hand over the driving part to him.

As I said the I am the culprit for planning such a hectic trip as my family members don't really believe in doing two trips to a state for vacation and certainly not Gujrat. No offense to who ever have traveled to Gujrat. I have looked at picking only the top-spots of sight-seeing at major places. I do not plan to look at all the small small places everywhere.

My opinion is that you pick any place, anywhere in the world, Google will give you at least 5 options or things to see. Its upto an individual to decide whether you want to see everything or only the important things.

Quote:
Amhedabad - Gir : You have indicated 425 kms but google shows some 328kms. I have no idea how the road would be as it is not a highway. Please check with some others. I have gone via Rajkot, Gondal, Junagadh route. It is all NH and good roads, but longer. Traffic to be expected near Rajkot. It is really worth staying at Gir for 2 nights, we had found 1 night to be inadequate. Really peaceful. However I think you have the hotel booked at Junagadh. If not maybe you can stay at Gir, next day go to Somnath, skip Junagadh and reach Dwarka directly.
425 Kms mentioned is including trip back to the hotel at Junagadh. Ahmedabad to Gir is around 330 Kms and Gir to Junagadh is around 85 Kms. Again part of the answer to your statement has to be the same as above.

The stretch from Ahmedabad to Gir, I am hoping that Google is showing a fair time to cover the distance based on the Road and Traffic conditions which it normally does.

Quote:
Bhuj 1 day is okay but not sure you can cover Lakhpat as it's far away, 134kms. I think you should cover Bhuj and come back to Devpur.
We had gone to Hodka from Devpur via Than-Nirona-Bhirandariya. It's just 109kms and narrow isolated road, not the highway. But wonderful. However, it seems you want to see the rann in the night, so not sure how safe this road is. You should ask Krutarthji (Devpur) for advice, he most helpful.
Sorry if my advice is a bit negative but I do believe that it is worth spending time at different places rather than just touch and go. Having said that, the road journey is also wonderful so if driving does not tire you, then I am sure you will have a great time. Kutch is a different place and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
I also own a City now, iDtec, and looking forward to a road trip in the future in this car. Please let us know your experience of driving the city.
All the best and drive safe.
I will check out about Hodka. I dont have an idea about what Hodka is all about.

I did not find much on Google to see around in Bhuj. But I have still kept the whole day for some shsopping and stuff if my mother and wife want to do. In fact, the things I mentioned in my post for sight-seeing actually don't take more than 7-8 hours.

With regards to Rann, I will be leaving the hotel from Bhuj at around 02:00 PM, go to Kala Dungar and then to Rann by around 05:30 PM. Enjoy the sunset, watch the full moon (Checking out the moon-rise times, the Moon-rise is actually at around 06:15 PM, which works out well to execute the stuff) and leave by around 07:45 PM to Rann Utsav, have dinner and come back to Bhuj by around 10:00 PM.

I checked up with the Bhuj Hotel guys and its perfectly safe with regards to evening time and night time, specially with the Rann Utsav going on.

I don't know about touch and go, but certainly as per the calculations, I have put in a fair amount of time to relax and sight-seeing. Lets see. Still working out on some minor details. Thats why looking for inputs over here.

Last edited by tejas08 : 22nd November 2014 at 16:19.

Most Viewed