Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 19:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Coimbatore - Rameshwaram : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
(The route is also 40km longer)
The Karaikudi route is 40 km longer ? If you factor in Madurai bypass(es), the NH7&49 route would be 20 km longer. 30-40 km added purely for bypassing Madurai. Some 40 km of moderate to heavy traffic roads (NH45B-NH7 bypass and NH49 upto Viraganur). Having said that, unless the Dindigul-Karaikudi route is a 2-lane wonder it might take more time than going via Madurai.

Quote:
- Less traffic?
- Better routes ? (Does not look like it)
Traffic is comparable, except for the 40km stretch I mentioned above. Infact after Manamadurai (except for Ramnad and Paramakudi town) rest of the stretch is relatively empty.

Quote:
- Good places to eat? (Maybe as we go through Karaikdi)
If you are looking for slightly upshot places, Dindigul-Natham-Karaikudi route wont offer any. You'd get eateries comparable to Meenakshi Bhavan (like the one in Hosur, Theni).
Old 8th September 2011, 09:41   #17
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks so much for all your valuable inputs.

Given the constraints of time and good roads, I intend to take this route and try the other variations another time.
CBE-Palladam-Dharapuram-Oddanchathiram-Dindigul-Madurai-Rameswaram

Route map:
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu to Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

Some questions:
1. Do we need need to get into Madurai town while getting onto NH49 from NH7 ? Any way to bypass ?
2. Suggest good places for breaks along the way
3. Suggest good fuel stations (any BP outlets ?)
Old 8th September 2011, 10:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Some questions:
1. Do we need need to get into Madurai town while getting onto NH49 from NH7 ? Any way to bypass ?

1. You don't need to get into Madurai town. Continue on the bypass towards Tirunelveli. Just before Tirumangalam,
after the Sidco estate, you should see a marking on the left which says Trichy. Take this road.
After the Tuticorin extit (Arappukottai road), you should see the Ramehwaram exit (via Manamadurai)

But note, its quite a long detour. (An extra 20km. But I guess its worth it)

National Highways 7 to Madurai-Rameshwaram Road/NH 49 - Google Maps

2. Not many on Madurai BP. Ramnad has some small hotels by the main road.
3. No idea about fuel stations.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 14:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a BP Ghar between Dindigul and Madurai. Hotel Fantasy on the same stretch. There is another BP Ghar, but thats on Trichy highway (just before the toll booth), but that you have to drive 5-6 km extra each way. You could explore Tirumangalam too, had dinner in Vasantham/Vasantha Bhavan (not sure of name) years back.

In Ramnad, I remember seeing a hotel on entering town from Rameswaram/Devipattinam side, coming from Madurai it will on left going towards Rameswaram away from Ramnad town.

Petrol bunks are a bit hard to find on NH49, so tank up near Madurai.
~~~~
Amp, Its more like 30-40 km but well worth. If you are passing Madurai before 8am you could go through the city. The entire bypass for NPV case will take like 60-80 min of driving time depending on 2-lane bypass traffic.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 21:46   #20
Team-BHP Support

@NPV,

Hope you are done with the NH49 part of trip safely.
Hope you passed through Paramakudi/Ramnad area without any issues.
Old 13th September 2011, 00:18   #21
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@Amp, @Narayans80, @h14 - Thursday and Friday last week were not very good days for us since there was a bereaval in the extended family on my wife's side so we had to drop our plans. However my cousin's family did do the trip from Calicut. They reached Coimbatore on 9th afternoon, stayed overnight there and then did Coimbatore-Rameshwaram route next day and used all the information on this thread so it would be unfair on my part if I did not provide an update.
On Saturday 10 Sep they started post lunch around 1pm from Coimbatore towards Palladam-Dharapuram-Oddanchathiram-Dindigul-Kappalore Airport Ring Road-NH49-Rameswaram.
Roads were excellent all the way and the Madurai town bypass you suggested via the Airport road was a very wise choice. Reached Rameswaram by 7pm and stayed at TTDC. Next day did the 22 well temple routine there and started return journey around noon. Just after reaching Ramanathapuram there was a huge political protest/rally and the cops asked them to take a deviation towards Sivaganga and then proceed so as to avoid Madurai. They had to manoeuvre through some really narrow roads to reach the SH (I think it's SH35) from where the road was good (most road signs were in Tamil all the way to Sivaganga). From there again the Airport ring road helped avoid Madurai town and then they took the route back via Dindigul-Oddanchathiram-Udumalaipet-Pollachi-Palakkad-Calicut and reached by midnight. One break for late lunch at Saravana hotel somewhere on the way and then carried some snacks/biscuits to avoid more stops as they had to a long way to go.
Thanks again to all of you for the great inputs

Last edited by NPV : 13th September 2011 at 00:22.
Old 13th September 2011, 00:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just after reaching Ramanathapuram there was a huge political protest/rally and the cops asked them to take a deviation towards Sivaganga and then proceed so as to avoid Madurai. They had to manoeuvre through some really narrow roads to reach the SH (I think it's SH35) from where the road was good (most road signs were in Tamil all the way to Sivaganga). From there again the Airport ring road helped avoid Madurai town and then they took the route back via Dindigul-Oddanchathiram-Udumalaipet-Pollachi-Palakkad-Calicut and reached by midnight. One break for late lunch at Saravana hotel somewhere on the way and then carried some snacks/biscuits to avoid more stops as they had to a long way to go.
Thanks again to all of you for the great inputs
Good to hear things went fine on the road.
So did they take Ramnad-Sivaganga-Melur route to NH7 (via Azhagar temple route) ?
Old 13th September 2011, 09:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to hear things went fine on the road.
So did they take Ramnad-Sivaganga-Melur route to NH7 (via Azhagar temple route) ?
No Azhagarkoil, they've come via the same Madurai bypass as in the onward. From what NPV says, this is the probable route they might've taken.

Quote:
Just after reaching Ramanathapuram there was a huge political protest/rally and the cops asked them to take a deviation towards Sivaganga and then proceed so as to avoid Madurai. They had to manoeuvre through some really narrow roads to reach the SH (I think it's SH35) from where the road was good (most road signs were in Tamil all the way to Sivaganga). From there again the Airport ring road helped avoid Madurai town
They had to avoid Paramakudi (where the actual incident causing the protest took place) I guess, not Madurai (as they have taken the bypass). Papers yesterday were reporting protests in Ramnad and Tuticorin Dts. including stoning windshields of several buses.
Old 13th September 2011, 09:38   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
No Azhagarkoil, they've come via the same Madurai bypass as in the onward.
This makes me think, NHAI should make a full bypass ring over Madurai.
Imagine 45B to 7 towards Dindugul would become so easier.

Also how is the Melur-Azhagarkoi route to NH7? If its good then this route can serve
as another gateway to Karaikudi/Tirupattur. (The other one being through Natham)

I had been to the temple through the city.
Hence no idea about the by-pass. I do not remember the route as well (I was in a cab).
Old 13th September 2011, 10:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This makes me think, NHAI should make a full bypass ring over Madurai. Imagine 45B to 7 towards Dindugul would become so easier.
Agree! at the least 4-laning the existing so-called 2-lane bypass would be a welcome change.

Quote:
Also how is the Melur-Azhagarkoi route to NH7? If its good then this route can serve as another gateway to Karaikudi/Tirupattur. (The other one being through Natham)
I dont know north Madurai, have visited southern part of the city every holiday during school and college days (which is almost a decade old). I dont remember of any wide enough or minimal traffic roads that are on the periphery of the city. I can think of Melur-Azhagarkoil-Alanganallur-Koodal Nagar-Vilangudi, but this might be as tough as going through the city. Roads are bit narrow with moderate to heavy slow moving traffic. The railway crossing (which is on the prime chord-line in TN) from Vilangudi to Koodal Nagar was a pain by itself, takes easy 15-20 mins just to cross that.

As of now, go through the city in sleepy timings or use the existing bypass(es).
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 15:22   #26
BHPian

Guys, Anyone did Madurai-Coimbatore or vice versa recently? From Google maps, I find 3 routes,

1.) Madurai - Dindigul - Vellakoil - palladam - Cpimbatore
2.) Madurai - Dindigul - Dharapuram - palladam - Coimbatore
3.) Madurai - Dindigul - Oddanchatram - Palani - Pollachi - Coimbatore

Which is the best route of the 3 from the perspective of quality of roads? Scenic+good roads would be added advantage
Old 30th November 2015, 15:53   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karts View Post
1.) Madurai - Dindigul - Vellakoil - palladam - Cpimbatore
A longer route where you are on 4-lane til Arvakurichi and then head to Vellakoil on 67

Quote:
2.) Madurai - Dindigul - Dharapuram - palladam - Coimbatore
I think this is the cleanest of the lot. Dharapuram has a bypass too.

Quote:
3.) Madurai - Dindigul - Oddanchatram - Palani - Pollachi - Coimbatore
Best to avoid. You have to pass through Udumalpet and Pollachi. No bypass.

So as per second seems the best option. But the first one is also not bad. However I expect higher traffic on the first option especially you get off the four lane. Might be a good idea to check Dindigul-Dharapuram section with others as well. I faintly remember some one saying that this section was deteriorating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Stick to no.2. I did it last month
There you have the answer! Thank you. That settles it.

Last edited by ampere : 30th November 2015 at 15:55.
Old 30th November 2015, 15:53   #28
h14
BHPian

Which part of Madurai are you starting from? Incase if you are starting from Mattuthavani side, try the below route which I took.

Take Alagarkovil road, turn left into Oomachikulam road, once you reach Oomachikulam, continue further in the same road to reach Alanganallur and then continue further to reach NH7.

You can beat the Madurai city traffic if you are starting from this side and of course this is more scenic as we predominantly pass through villages with lot of agri lands on both sides
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 16:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:

I think this is the cleanest of the lot. Dharapuram has a bypass too.

So as per second seems the best option.

There you have the answer! Thank you. That settles it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post

Which part of Madurai are you starting from? Incase if you are starting from Mattuthavani side, try the below route which I took.
Thank you Ampere & h14, Will go by the second option then. @h14, I stay closer to periyar nilayam bus stand, will take the arasaradi route to reach the NH going towards Dindigul. Wont mind taking the alagar koil route as I will be in no hurry
karts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 11:17   #30
BHPian

This may be a bit off topic, but couldn't resist asking.

Recently a friend travelled to Rameswaram and the toll they levied at Pamban is Rs.40.00 for car. Is it correct?

Most Viewed