Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2012, 11:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Bangalore -> Kollam & Trivandrum -> Bangalore

Anyone traveled through these routes to Kerala recently?

Tenkasi -> Kulathupuzha -> Anchal -> MC Road (Ayoor) -> TVM
Tenkasi -> Punalur -> Palode -> TVM

I have heard Punalur - Palode - TVM road is not that great. Please let me know your experience as I am planning to start by tomorrow morning to Trivandrum from Banaglore via Madurai.
Old 29th November 2012, 12:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanish View Post
Anyone traveled through these routes to Kerala recently?

Tenkasi -> Kulathupuzha -> Anchal -> MC Road (Ayoor) -> TVM
Tenkasi -> Punalur -> Palode -> TVM

I have heard Punalur - Palode - TVM road is not that great. Please let me know your experience as I am planning to start by tomorrow morning to Trivandrum from Banaglore via Madurai.
If you're starting early in the morning from Trivandrum, I'd think going via Nagercoil would be faster. It's only when the traffic builds up that the TVM-Nagercoil stretch becomes a pain to drive and takes a long time. The other alternatives while probably shorter will end up taking more time because of narrower and slower roads.

Once you hit NH7 at Kavalkkinar, rest of the drive is a breeze - at least till you hit the 6 laning work at Krishnagiri.

Last edited by kala : 29th November 2012 at 12:57.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 13:05   #18
BHPian

I am planning my return journey via Nagercoil. But onward I am sure I will hit the mid day traffic in Nagercoil-TVM strech as I am planning to start by 4 in the morning from Bangalore.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:35   #19
BHPian

Hello,

Has anyone done Bangalore kollam trip recently? If so, can you kindly comment on the best route based on the road conditions please? I am planning to complete this trip this week
Old 17th December 2012, 17:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Hello,

Has anyone done Bangalore kollam trip recently? If so, can you kindly comment on the best route based on the road conditions please? I am planning to complete this trip this week
I did Bangalore - Varkala end of Sept and the route i took for my onward journey was -

Bangalore - Salem - Madurai - Thirumangalam ( right turn to Kollam road ) - Rajapalayam - Shenkottai - Thenmala - Punalur and here got off to head to Anchal and then onwards to Varkala

Bangalore - Thirumangalam , no fuss fast road ( except for the 6 lane work at Krishnagiri section ) . From Thirumangalam to Shenkottai , twisty roads , sharp turns with very good scenery. This road goes through the heart of small towns, will slow to you down considerably, plus some of the small bridges are being built, has some diversions with speed breakers thrown in.

Thenmala ghat road - not good, big craters, be careful , after the ghat , decent roads

beyond Punalur don't know, but i assume it will be decent roads there as well

Have a safe trip
redballons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:27   #21
BHPian

Trivandrum airport to Kollam?

Hi,

What's the best and safest way to get from the Trivandrum airport to Kollam?

We are a group of 8 members including a 2 year old kid, stay booked at Club Mahindra resorts- Ashtamudi. Do the pre-paid taxis go this far? if not, what is the best alternate option and approximately how much would such a trip cost?

Any advice much appreciated - thank you!
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:36   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Trivandrum airport to Kollam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post
Do the pre-paid taxis go this far? if not, what is the best alternate option
No issues at all. Pre-paid taxis ply this route.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:09   #23
BHPian

Re: Trivandrum airport to Kollam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@tan2s@int View Post
Hi,

What's the best and safest way to get from the Trivandrum airport to Kollam?

We are a group of 8 members including a 2 year old kid, stay booked at Club Mahindra resorts- Ashtamudi. Do the pre-paid taxis go this far? if not, what is the best alternate option and approximately how much would such a trip cost?

Any advice much appreciated - thank you!
No issues at all. There is a prepaid counter as you are on the way out of the arrival hall. Make sure you tell the place accurately. If possible, tell them the exact kilometers to the place. There are plenty taxis, most of them being indica/amby. It may be also a good idea to call akbar travels (a reputed travel agency) and book a innova or sort of before hand as you are a group of 8. They may charge you slightly more, but they are professional. The number from their website is,
Akbar Travels Trivandrum Phone Number : 0471 - 3911 111
Fax : 0471 - 231 3986 (30 lines), 0471 - 2726 253 (20 lines).
The place you have to visit is approx 80 km from the city. 12rs/km should be about the max you have to pay.
Happy holidays.
Regards

Last edited by 999 : 2nd April 2013 at 17:12.
999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 14:50   #24
BHPian

Hi All
I am planning to travel to Trivandrum from Bangalore for a function. On the way I have to pick a friend from Adoor.

I was Planning to take the following Route. Bangalore -> Madurai -> Kovilpatti -> Puliyangudi -> Punalur -> Pathanapuram -> Adoor (MC Road) -> Trivandrum

I have taken the route till Kovilpatti and Pathanapuram to Adoor/Trivandrum before and know how the route will be. Any latest updates on the Kovilpattu -> Puliyangudi -> Punalur road.
Any other route Suggestions you may have

Last edited by gandalf : 30th September 2013 at 14:52.
Old 18th December 2016, 17:57   #25
BHPian

Dear members,

Decided to drive from Bangalore to Chengannur on December 23rd, due to unavailability of train tickets.

Plan to leave Bangalore by 2PM, stopover at Theni or Dindgul, stay overnight there and drive to Chengannur next day morning.

Another route suggested by google map was the Bangalore-Salem-Trissur-Perumbavoor-Chengannur. I don't prefer to drive more than 8 hours a day, stopover is a must.

Kindly suggest the best route for my trip. Thanks in advance. I will commence my return journey on December 30th, planned a night stopover, requesting inputs for the return journey too.

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 19th December 2016, 13:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Dear members,

Decided to drive from Bangalore to Chengannur on December 23rd, due to unavailability of train tickets.

Plan to leave Bangalore by 2PM, stopover at Theni or Dindgul, stay overnight there and drive to Chengannur next day morning.

Another route suggested by google map was the Bangalore-Salem-Trissur-Perumbavoor-Chengannur. I don't prefer to drive more than 8 hours a day, stopover is a must.

Kindly suggest the best route for my trip. Thanks in advance. I will commence my return journey on December 30th, planned a night stopover, requesting inputs for the return journey too.

Rgds,
Vinod
Perumbavoor route is ruled out as MC Road is undergoing repairs and so expect closures etc.You could do Thrissur-Alappuzha-AC Road-Chengannur.Negotiating the Lulu junction at edappally would be a pain and dense traffic till Aroor,after which traffic eases out,again expect bottlenecks within Alappuzha town etc.

Going via Theni is good,just that you would have to negotiate some ghat sections on the Kambam-Kumily-Kanjirappily section.Low traffic till Kanjirappily after which traffic picks up.

At Theni,Western Gatz is the best hotel,
If taking the Thrissur route,you can stay at any of the hotels at Angamaly, on the highway itself.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks