Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2011, 21:39   #1
BHPian

Shame on L&T - Calling NH-7 - Thoppur Ghat section Road Users to register complaint

NH-7 - Thoppur Ghat Stretch around 4 Kms is in Bad shape for the past 9 months approximately if not more. What I mean by bad shape is road is un -even. Road is kind of squeezed on either side of the "wheels" with center of the road is almost hitting the under body of the cars with low GC. If you are driving fast the chances are high as the surface is uneven. This is on the left side of the road when you are coming from Salem towards Bangalore. I think it is created because of the trucks with full load moving slowly to climbing up. It was in this same state for so long and L&T took over the maintenance before 1 or 2 years.

Nothing has been done and now they have increased the tariff to 73Rs for
one way for LMV.

Questions which comes to my mind are as follows.
What is the responsibility of L&T in maintaining the road?
Why they are not maintaining the road in good shape as this stretch is tolled road?
How are they able to increase the toll without doing any maintenance work on this road?

What I have done for this?
Couple of times I have asked the toll collectors when I pay. Nothing happened. This time I have got in to their office, asked for compliant register and registered a compliant. However there was so much resistance and he was trying to give me oral explanation/ trying to convince me without giving the register. I have not listened to him and was adamant in registering the compliant. I am pleasantly surprised by looking at the register as the previous 3 complaints also for the same issue.

Now, I am thinking of what is next? I am not convinced that by lodging my compliant alone will solve the problem as this is in the same shape for so many months.

I request and encourage all the TBHPians to register their compliant in the L&T compliant register about this bad quality of the road and their bad service to the road user who is paying 73 Rs per trip.

Also requesting TBHPians to comment on what else can be done to make L&T to repair this road.

Not but not the least L&T as a company has lost my respect. I have admired for it is size, diversification and returns to their investors.
blorebuddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 22:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Shame on L&T - Calling NH-7 - Thoppur Ghat section Road Users to register complia

It would be useful if you please post a handful of snaps of that portion of road.
Old 17th September 2011, 22:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shame on L&T - Calling NH-7 - Thoppur Ghat section Road Users to register complia

Good point blorebuddy. L&T is one of the most shameless toll road operators one can ecounter on this route. The entire Thoppur ghat is in very bad shape. The humps towards Salem on the descent will put bangalore city humps to shame. A engineering company like L&T can't even design few humps properly. Again towards Bangalore the road is having lot of imperfections as you pointed out. All this after collecting the highest toll on the route. I will surely register my complaint next time.

One more L&T toll road which tests people's patience is Coimbatore bypass. This two laned, accident prone congested stretch is tolled 31rs..! Only one booth will be operational all along the stretch and you have 5 toll plazas in this 20km stretch. A vehicle coming from Palakkad side has to wait behind the queue to just show the toll receipt to proceed in all other toll plazas.

Last edited by poloman : 17th September 2011 at 22:45.
Old 18th September 2011, 07:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy
NH-7 - Thoppur Ghat Stretch around 4 Kms is in Bad shape for the past 9 months approximately if not more. What I mean by bad shape is road is un -even. Road is kind of squeezed on either side of the "wheels" with center of the road is almost hitting the under body of the cars with low GC. If you are driving fast the chances are high as the surface is uneven. This is on the left side of the road when you are coming from Salem towards Bangalore.
Blorebuddy, Please register a complaint in nhai.org also. I had registered a similiar complaint and atleast got a reply. Have a try.
Old 18th September 2011, 07:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Seriously a good initiative. We should collectively start to complain about these. I remember it was like this even during my last trip. Somewhere around 3 or 4 months back. Which means, they don't do anything except collect Toll. And they have already raised it 3 times from starting.

And yes, I doubt if you manage to get some pics in those time of driving. Did you?
Old 18th September 2011, 14:03   #6
BHPian

Saw some road work being carried out in the Thoppur ghat sections yesterday on my way back from Kerala
Old 18th September 2011, 19:03   #7
BHPian

@mjothi, @amazing - I do not have pictures now. I will get it as I will be traveling again next week.

@Digital Vampire - Good to know. It will be great
Old 19th September 2011, 10:39   #8
BHPian

Even GQ near Sriperumbudur is also not in good condition for a very long time which is another L&T's project.
Old 19th September 2011, 10:45   #9
BHPian

I have just been on that stretch last monday and its worse, no road at all. Thank god I was in my Defender 110 which took it with stride, but still this is not what we all pay taxes for.
Old 19th September 2011, 11:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

During my past trip, I almost lost control while braking hard to avoid an uneven stretch which appeared from nowhere. Looks like the soft soil below and rain water is causing the road to deteriorate quickly. Poorly designed humps are only making this stretch worse. They need to dig up the road deeper and put concrete to stabilize this section. Usual patch works with tar is only to going to make it worse.
Old 19th September 2011, 11:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
@mjothi, @amazing - I do not have pictures now. I will get it as I will be traveling again next week.
Thats great. Once you put it up, let us know. We will also register our complaint.

And I am sure many here will follow us. Together, let see get some light. Hopefully.

Hope they dont ask for the receipt of Toll
Old 19th September 2011, 13:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Another altrenative is to file a RTI application with NHAI to make these guys come out with some action and get the things moving. RTI is a good weapon to get this done.
Old 19th September 2011, 13:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Infact this road is not built according to road physics, I felt. So much of vehicle swinging and mountain size speed breakers, craters in middle of road. During my Munnar drive last April, I really had very horrible time crossing this section even in my Safari. It was little better during January when I went to Rameshwaram.

It is really shame on L&T as they are not building this road and collecting money from all motor vehicle. Someone informed here that, they have increased the toll rate also.

How government allow them to do so, if the road is so poor?

Edit: Found this Circular of NHAI. Where they are asking officers to open Facebook account for complaint redressal. Check this out. Is there facebook group exists for NHAI? I did not find one.

http://www.nhai.org/CircularRCRSS.pdf

Edit - 2: I got NHAI facebook page for complaint. http://www.facebook.com/NHAI.INDIA?sk=wall

You can post all complain here and it is believe to be fastest grievance redressal forum for NHAI.

Last edited by anujmishra : 19th September 2011 at 14:00.
Old 19th September 2011, 18:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
During my past trip, I almost lost control while braking hard to avoid an uneven stretch which appeared from nowhere. Looks like the soft soil below and rain water is causing the road to deteriorate quickly. Poorly designed humps are only making this stretch worse. They need to dig up the road deeper and put concrete to stabilize this section. Usual patch works with tar is only to going to make it worse.
+1. Concrete is the way to go. At least the uphill section. And the section where the humps are.

And also they need to do something to warn the users down hill ( though there are enough signs). Every time I pass through the section, I see at least couple of trucks with axles broken or damaged front portion by rear ending. Cannot comment on the humps, I feel it keeps the speed down, but sure it comes as a surprise. They need to re-design the humps though. Also, some very mild rumble strips should be a way to warn drivers. What say folks?
Old 19th September 2011, 22:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

I agree. The 4 km stretch is indeed a pain to drive. Why don't we make use of the RTI to seek information on why it is not repaired?

Most Viewed