Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 10:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rajasthan tour - help better my itinerary

I would suggest you consider adding Jaisalmer to the itinerary. It is really beautiful. I found Udaipur was overhyped, no offence to any fans. Also see the days when you are visiting, because some places are closed on Sunday etc. Shopping is best done in Jaipur or Jaisalmer. Udaipur too has a nice lane for shopping right in front of the palace.

@carboy: Suggest you put up a new thread for better answers. As your time is not in peak season, you have the luxury to go there directly and see the hotels and bargain hard. Only thing, check the Tourist festival in Jaisalmer, if the dates are around that festival, then book the Jaisalmer hotels early.

Last edited by ani_meher : 11th January 2012 at 10:33.
Old 11th January 2012, 11:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am also planning a vacation in Rajasthan towards 3rd week of february (not driving) - want to visit Jaipur and Udaipur. Want to spend around 2 days at each place - if someone can recommend hotels (I am looking for something which is as good or as bad as Ginger hotels - clean place with decent amenities). Also what will the weather be like?
And which airport should I fly to from Bombay?
Hello Carboy,

I have planned a trip tp Rajasthan between 21 & 31 January & have done some basic search on hotels.

Well I dont know your budget & choice, but would like to to suggest you some hotels around Rs. 2,500 per night:

Jaipur
1. Umaid Bhawan (I have stayed there couple of times in 2004 / 2006 and the owners & staff was good. The location of the hotel is also very good.
Jaipur Hotels, Jaipur Hotel Packages, Jaipur Heritage Hotels in Jaipur

2. Hotel Madhuban
Hotel Madhuban

Both of the above are heritage hotels.

Udaipur: I would suggest you to stay at some hotel with Lake View.
1. Jaiwana Haveli
Jaiwana Haveli, Udaipur

2. Mewar Haveli
Udaipur Hotels, Udaipur Heritage hotels - Mewar Haveli
Both of the above hotels have a fantastic Lake view from Rooms & also from the Roof Top Restaurant.

You can fly to Jaipur first explore the City in two days & then fly to Udaipur. While at Udaipur you can spend one day in Udaipur sight seeing & spare another day for Ranakpur / Kumbhalgarh Temples. You can also explore Mt. Abu or Chittorgarh Fort if you can add a third day at Udaipur.

Thanks,
Old 11th January 2012, 14:40   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Carboy,

I have planned a trip tp Rajasthan between 21 & 31 January & have done some basic search on hotels.

Well I dont know your budget & choice, but would like to to suggest you some hotels around Rs. 2,500 per night:
My budget is between 1000-2000 per night. The view etc is not really important for me. The main thing is cleanliness - it should be very clean.

Quote:
You can fly to Jaipur first explore the City in two days & then fly to Udaipur. While at Udaipur you can spend one day in Udaipur sight seeing & spare another day for Ranakpur / Kumbhalgarh Temples. You can also explore Mt. Abu or Chittorgarh Fort if you can add a third day at Udaipur.

Thanks,
How far is Jaipur from Udaipur - do I have to fly between the 2 places? Is there no train or bus or anything between the 2 places?
Old 11th January 2012, 15:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My budget is between 1000-2000 per night. The view etc is not really important for me. The main thing is cleanliness - it should be very clean.

How far is Jaipur from Udaipur - do I have to fly between the 2 places? Is there no train or bus or anything between the 2 places?
Yes the above hotels are within Rs. 2,000 per night. Also I have personally visited Umaid Bhavan in Jaipur & it is very clean.

You can also try at Aashiya Haveli in Udaipur, it is family run hotel & has very good review. I will be back from Rajasthan tour by 1st February & you can anytime PM me for details of these places & hotels.
Also, if lake view room is not your preference then there are ample hotels in Udaipur in budget of Rs. 1000 - Rs. 1500. Only caution, when you enter Udaipur don't entertain agents who will follow you, instead approach hotels directly.

You can also try RTDC hotels, most of which are less than Rs. 2000 a night.
Distance between Jaipur & Udaipur is approx 400 kmsm which would mean almost 7 / 8 hours drive by car. Alternately there are two trains runing everyday between Jaipur & Udaipur. Here are the details:

1. 12981 Chetak Exp - Jaipur (00:20) - Udaipur (07:50)
2. 12965 Gwalior Udaipur Exp - Jaipur (22:30) - Udaipur (06:10).

If budget permits you can also chose to fly between Jaipur & Udaipur with Kingfisher (only direct flight) at 15:40 from Jaipur.

Hope this information helps,

Thanks

Last edited by Jignesh : 11th January 2012 at 15:43. Reason: More information added.
Old 20th February 2012, 19:24   #35
BANNED

Finally decided to go only to Jaipur & spend 3 days there. If anyone has any suggestions on how I should plan my 3 days, it would be great. I don't want to travel to any place more than 2 hours away.
Old 21st February 2012, 10:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally decided to go only to Jaipur & spend 3 days there. If anyone has any suggestions on how I should plan my 3 days, it would be great. I don't want to travel to any place more than 2 hours away.
Hello,

This is what I planned for my Jaipur Trip:

1. Amber Fort
2. Jaigarh Fort
3. Nahargarh Fort
4. City Palace
5. Chandra Mahal
6. Jal Mahal
7. Birla Temple
9. Jantar Mantar
10. Hawa Mahal

I would suggest also to spare atleast half a day for shopping if you have ladies travelling with you.

I have already suggested hotels in this thread but just to add the list:

1. Umaid Bhavan, Bani park. (First Choice)
2. Jaipur Inn, Bani Park
3. Hotel Madhuban, Bani park
4. Tordi Haveli, Sector 6
5. Sajjan Nivas, Bani Park

Thanks,
Old 21st February 2012, 11:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

This is what I planned for my Jaipur Trip:

1. Amber Fort
2. Jaigarh Fort
3. Nahargarh Fort
4. City Palace
5. Chandra Mahal
6. Jal Mahal
7. Birla Temple
9. Jantar Mantar
10. Hawa Mahal

I would suggest also to spare atleast half a day for shopping if you have ladies travelling with you.

I have already suggested hotels in this thread but just to add the list:

1. Umaid Bhavan, Bani park. (First Choice)
2. Jaipur Inn, Bani Park
3. Hotel Madhuban, Bani park
4. Tordi Haveli, Sector 6
5. Sajjan Nivas, Bani Park

Thanks,
To add to what Jignesh - i dont know if he missed out seeing these in Jaipur or missed out listing - has mentioned in his post

a) Chwki Dhani

b) Albert hall muesum

c) Wander around the bazars near Hawa mahal

d) Veg food in iconic LMB or Laxmi Misthan Bhandar

e) Diggi palace - The place where Jaipur Litereray festival is held

c) Since you will be staying for three days in jaipur, why don't you do a day trip to either to

i) Fatehpur famous for Shekhavati paintings and Nawalgarh fort
Nawalgarh, Rajasthan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ii) Ranthambore
iii) Sariska and Alwar

My two cents.
Old 21st February 2012, 11:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
To add to what Jignesh - i dont know if he missed out seeing these in Jaipur or missed out listing - has mentioned in his post
Hello Fauji,

Actually the above list was what I planned in Jaipur as I was scheduled to be there only for 1.5 days. This was during my Rajasthan trip last month.

But eventually I could not reach Jaipur & could only complete Udaipur, Ranakpur & Jodhpur. I will write a Travelogue on my visit soon on T-BHP.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 17:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Try Hotel Arya Niwas in Jaipur. Good Accommodation. Cost around 1600 per night. I stayed there last year and you can find my review on tripadvisor.
Old 16th October 2012, 15:38   #40
BHPian

Taking a bite of Rajasthan

Sigh October holidays are here….. Well, almost – my daughter has her 1st PU exams going on at present. We are planning to have a vacation in Rajasthan. We have planned this for quite some time and at a high level this is the plan (Earlier we had an ambitious plan of driving down to Rajasthan but i was vetoed on this):

22nd evening Bangalore to Ahmedabad Flight
Train from Ahmedabad to Jodhpur.

23rd @ Jodhpur visit the Mehranghar Fort, try Zip lining at the fort, visit ghanta ghar to try out - Makhan lassi (for lassi and rabri), shahi samosa (samosa) and janta sweets (for mirchi wade and pyaaz kachori)

We just have one day at Jodhpur. If there is anything else that we can do in the evening, please let me know.

Next day morning I have booked an AC TT to take us from Jodhpur to Udaipur. We intend to do the local sight seeing (list below – courtesy Fauji, thanks Fauji)

a) Visit the palace complex. Very well organized tour with audio guide.

b) Visit to the Jagmandir lake Palace - not the one run by Taj where non residential guests are not allowed - which is run by Maharaja. You can buy tickets for boat ride and visit to the palace at the same counter where tickets for palace complex is also issued.

c) Sajjangarh - The hill palace which is the monsoon palace of Maharaja provides specatacular view of the lake and city. The hill is also surrounded by reserve forests which is good for birding in the morning.

d) Fatehsagar lake - The second lake in Udaipur which is beautiful with Chattris and very quiet.

e) Shilpgram for handicraft and folk dances/music. During season there will be programs in the evening as well.

f) Folk dance and puppettry in Bagore Ki Haveli - a charming haveli museum nicely restored. Every evening at 7 PM, The western India regional Culture centre organises excellent folk dance and puppetry programme of the region. Well compered with Informal seating, this is not be mised.

g) Jagadeesh temple which is close to palace complex.

h) Boat ride in Lake Pichola.

i) Cocktails in Sunset terrace restuarant in Shiv Niwas Palace hotel overlooking the lake.

j) Dinner in Ambrai restuarant in Amet Haveli. Outstanding Rajasthani food on the banks of lake with a beautiful view of palace lit at night. Book table in advance.
Dinner on the roof top restaurant of Jagat Niwas Palace - excellent food again -with nice view of the Lake palace. Book table in advance.

k) Cable car ride to the fort.

l) Dal - Bhati lunch in Santosh Dal - Bhati.

m) Vintage car museum of Maharaja.

n) Mawa Kachoris in down town Udaipur.

o) Stroll in the narrow streets of Udaipur

p) Shop for antiques, handicrafts and silver inlaid swords of Udaipur.

q) Ahar Museum - Cenotaphs or Royal Chhatris

r) Sound and light show on Mewar kingdom in palace

As I have two days - 24th we arrive and intend to do as much as possible, 25th plan to visit Chittorgarh and again in the evening / night spend time going around Udaipur, 26th plan to go to Ranakpur / Kumbalgarh fort and then finally go into Hibernation at Club Mahindra Kumbalgarh till 29th when we return back to Udaipur /Ahmedabad/Bangalore. Need help in prioritization of the above list to ensure that important (read beautiful and unique) places are covered. For eg: Is it worth visiting Udaipur palace after visiting Mehrangarh fort?

I have tentatively marked my choices in bold (will change based on your recommendations)

Any suggestions for authentic local cuisine (vegetarian) for Dinner at Jodhpur? Similarly suggestions for Lunch / dinner at Udaipur will be greatly appreciated (Fauji has already recommended two places for Dinner in Udaipur)

Last edited by MaverikMahesh : 16th October 2012 at 15:42.
Old 16th October 2012, 17:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: Taking a bite of Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
23rd @ Jodhpur visit the Mehranghar Fort, try Zip lining at the fort, visit ghanta ghar to try out - Makhan lassi (for lassi and rabri), shahi samosa (samosa) and janta sweets (for mirchi wade and pyaaz kachori)

We just have one day at Jodhpur. If there is anything else that we can do in the evening, please let me know.
Did not see Umaid Bhawan in your list,.
Old 17th October 2012, 10:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Did not see Umaid Bhawan in your list,.
Hi Ranjit, I was under the impression that the experience of visiting Umaid Bhavan was not so great considering the attitude of the staff and the fact that part of the palace is off limits for "general public". Let me know if it is worth going there and what are the timings?
Old 18th October 2012, 12:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Hi Ranjit, I was under the impression that the experience of visiting Umaid Bhavan was not so great considering the attitude of the staff and the fact that part of the palace is off limits for "general public". Let me know if it is worth going there and what are the timings?
Part of the palace is the Taj hotel.You can get a full tour of the palace if you have reservations for dining at the hotel.Else only a part of it is accessible.Since you are going to Jodhpur,its definitely worth a visit.Yes staff problems etc do exist but then that is the same at almost all places,nothing new in here.
Old 18th October 2012, 16:41   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Part of the palace is the Taj hotel.You can get a full tour of the palace if you have reservations for dining at the hotel.Else only a part of it is accessible.Since you are going to Jodhpur,its definitely worth a visit.Yes staff problems etc do exist but then that is the same at almost all places,nothing new in here.
Thanks for the clarification and the details Ranjith. I will plan to visit Umaid Bhavan if we get time after Mehranghar fort
Old 28th October 2013, 14:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Need to revive this old thread.

Planning for a tour to Rajasthan in March'14.
I know that the whole of Rajasthan cannot be covered in a single visit, so decided to cover only a part of it. The itinerary worked out as follows :

a. Bhilai-NH6 to Nagpur-NH69 to Betul-NH59A to Indore : Dist 714 KM
b. Indore-NH 79 to Ratlam-NH 927A to Banswara-SH32 to Udaipur : Dist 387 KM
c. Day 3 Stay at Udaipur.
d. Udaipur-Mount Abu : Dist 160 KM
e. Mount Abu-connecting NH 15 at Sanchore-Jaisalmer : Dist 450KM
f. Day 7 at Jaisalmer.
g. Jaisalmer-NH 15 to Pokhran-NH 114 thereafter to Jodhpur : Dist 285 KM
h. Kept a spare day for Jodhpur.
i. Jodhpur-Chittorgarh (SH81 to-NH 8 via Nathdwara) : Dist 299 KM
j. Chittorgarh to Nagpur or straight to Bhilai : Dist 1057 KM

I have intentionally left out Jaipur as I intend to cover Jaipur-Sawai Madhopur-Gurgoan-Agra in a seperate trip.

I would request for help and suggestions from members regarding the route and the itinerary.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks