Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2011, 02:50   #1
BHPian

Rajasthan tour - help better my itinerary

I am planning a 13 days tour of Rajasthan from Pune in my Lancer.
Me, wife and son and I am the one driving. We start from Pune at the end of Diwali and wish to make this a sedate and leisurely trip.

The journey starts / ends at Pune but I have only shown the night halts; this I have planned after reading various threads on T-BHP. Many thanks to HVKumar, Ramky1, GD1418, Kingshukt, advaitlele, libranof1987, athanedar, Ranjitp1, mmxylorider - who needs GPS?

I have only 12 nights to spare but lots of questions ...

1. If I get tired and don't make it to A'bad on the first day, what are my overnight stay options at Vadodara or Anand, preferrably outside the city?

2. Two nights halt at M'Abu, Bikaner, Jaipur and Udaipur. Rest are single night halts. I am entirely flexible to changes and may halt for 3 nights if there is any good hotel outside city limits with scenic beauty, where I can just relax for the whole day, no excursions.

3. Is it better to visit Ranakpur and Kumbhalgarh from M'Abu side or Udaipur side? How long does it take?

4. Enroute Jodhpur to Bikaner, Google suggested it via Phalodi but I changed it to go via Nagaur since I am visiting a friend there. Is the road via Nagaur good?

5. Wife is going to splurge on shopping, mostly jewellery, shoes, garments, blankets .... which place is better and cheap?

Last edited by Chewbacca : 22nd September 2011 at 02:52.
Old 22nd September 2011, 08:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rajasthan tour - help better my itinerary

I am unable to see your route plan, can you detail that?

You can easily make it to A'bad on Day 1, and even if run late, please bear in mind that thanks to the expressway, A'bad is only 1 hour away from Baroda. Anand is not an option at all since it is away from the expressway.

The best place in Baroda is the Hotel Plazio which is located on the Baroda bypass itself (towards the end, just 1 km before the expressway begins. You cannot miss it, it comes of the left side as you go north. Rooms in this hotel have been opened last week and one of my friends reported that they are very good. Alternatively, you will take the left turn into the city after the Hotel Plazio and go 3-4 kms into Sayajiganj where there are plenty of hotels.

It is best to do Mt Abu-Udaipur-Kumbalgarh-Ranakpur-Jodhpur.

The direct route from Jodhpur to Bikaner is via Nagaur and not via Phalodi. IT is an excellent highway.

Although I am no expert, Jaipur is the best place for all-round shopping.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 08:17   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
1. If I get tired and don't make it to A'bad on the first day, what are my overnight stay options at Vadodara or Anand, preferrably outside the city?
You can make it easily to A'bad on the first day. The trick is to leave Pune by 5am. With such a start, you'll be able to cross Ghodbunder before 7am and thus avoid morning traffic.

When we'd gone, we started at 6am reached Baroda by 3; add another 2 for A'bad. We got stuck in Ghodbunder for 1/2 an hour so if you leave on time, you should reach A'bad by 4-5pm.

I myself don't cross 80-90 km/hr so you have a rough idea of how quick leisurely driving will take you.

Quote:
2. Two nights halt at M'Abu, Bikaner, Jaipur and Udaipur. Rest are single night halts. I am entirely flexible to changes and may halt for 3 nights if there is any good hotel outside city limits with scenic beauty, where I can just relax for the whole day, no excursions.
Do you plan to go to Udaipur directly from A'bad? Here's how I suggest you do Udaipur. A'bad to Udaipur will take you around 4 hours. So assuming a 7am start, you can reach Udaipur by 11am. On that itself, you can have a Udaipur sighseeing plan; you can cover most points that day.

The next day, you can visit Haldighati, Nathdwara, Ekling Mandir. The day after that, you can visit Chittorgarh and Shilpgram and depending on the plan post-Udaipur, you can either continue or come back to Udaipur.[/quote]

Quote:
5. Wife is going to splurge on shopping, mostly jewellery, shoes, garments, blankets .... which place is better and cheap?
Udaipur has tons of shops for garments, saris and jewellery; they have some special material for saris. It has a fragrance when starched.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:01   #4
BHPian

we had been on this streatch last August, except Bikaner/Jaipur but had gone to Jaisalmer.

What HVK suggested is the right way. Don't miss Kumbalgarh. it is worth the pain.
you will go only by 7 or 8 if you visit both Kumbalgarh and Ranakpur. While going from udaipur the directions are not so visible to Kumbalgarh.. we had missed it.

I would suggest 2 nights in Udaipur and 1 or 2 Jodhpur/a night in Kumbalgarh if u want to see the laser show and all.

for shopping udaipur/jodhpur is also ok.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Can you post your plan?
I would have suggested planning in your itinerary for
-> Gir (Gujrat) - the only Asiatic lion sanctuary in world (off way to Junagarh and then South to end of Guj) 2 days, 2/3 safaris, Good Taj Hotel resorts there
-> Mt Abu - Delwara Temples (Don't Miss) 1 day
-> Udaipur (MUST EAT atleast once at Natraj hotel) - Nathdwara 1-2 day
-> Chittorgarh 1 day
-> Sawai Madhopur - Ranthambhor 2 days, 2/3 safaris
-> Jaipur 1 day
-> Jodhpur 1 day
-> Jaisalmer - Pak Border - Fort - Sand Dunes 2 days
-> Return

Its been long and my logs are lost so cant comment on exact distances and time taken.
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

HVK and others have answered in detail and I've not much to add to it except that Jodhpur is a shopper's paradise. Jaipur & Udaipur being highly commercial, shall prove expensive.

Try the Sojati Gate market in Jodhpur (best explored by foot), bargain hard and you shall be pleasantly surprised.

The Janta Mishthaan Bhandar and the Marwaar Namkeens shall offer you an exhaustive varieties of sweet-meat.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I am unable to see your route plan, can you detail that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Sorry, the attachment got stripped off.
You may click on the link below if you don't see the screenshot
Ahmedabad, Gujarat to Vadodara, Gujarat - Google Maps
Attached Images

Old 22nd September 2011, 13:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
Kumbalgarh if u want to see the laser show and all
Can I start early from M'Abu, do Ranakpur + Kumbhalgarh + Laser show and then proceed 170 kms to Jodhpur and possibly reach by 9-10 PM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Gir (Gujrat)
Jaisalmer
Thanks Parsh, those two places are planned in the next trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Try the Sojati Gate market in Jodhpur (best explored by foot), bargain hard and you shall be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks gd1418. Any idea which place is best for pots and furniture? I am going to buy a folding wooden partition like hawa mahal
Old 22nd September 2011, 13:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning a 13 days tour of Rajasthan from Pune in my Lancer.

Chewbacca,

This is what i would recommend

Day 1 - Pune - Ahmedabad, Stay in Ahd. If you have not explored AHD, then keep next day. Have dinner in Agashye roof top restaurant in house of MGS for awesome Gujarathi Thali!!

Day 2 - AHD - Mt Abu. Excellent road. See around - Dilwara temple, boating etc. Night stay in Mt Abu.

day 3 - After Breakfast, drive to Udaipur. Evening walk in the streets around palace. You wife can do shopping ofr antiques, handicarfs etc

Day 4 - Udaipur - Palace visit, Boating, visit to Sajjangarh, see folk dance program in Haveli - excellent dont miss it. Eat dal - Bhati in Santosh dal - Bhati. Excellent. Mawa kachoris as well.

Day 5 - Via Nathdwara and Ranakpur, reach Kumbhalgarh. Stay in Kumbhalgarh. Visit fort and see awesome lighting of the fort in the evening.

Day 6 - Leave for Jaisalmer. visit Jodhpur fort on the way. No need to stay in Jodhpur. Stay in Jaisalmer.

Day 7 - Jaisalmer sight seeing. Fort, camel ride, dune bashing.

Day 8 - Drive to Bikaner. Sightseeing of palace and camel farm - Kids will love. Stay in Baikaner.

Day 9 - Drive to Jaipur via Fatehpur. See havelis in Shekhavati on the way. Stay in jaipur for night.

Day 10 - Jaipur sight seeing. Eat in Lakshmi Mishtan Bhandar. visit Chowki Dani in the evening. Dont eat buffet and opt for sit in rajasthani thali!!

Day 11 - Jaipur, if you feel you want another day for shopping etc. Johri Bazar in Jaipur is the best for shopping. Give a blank cheque to your wife. She will love it

Day 12 - Jaipur to Indore. Visit Ajmer and Pushkar on the way.

Day 13 - Indore to Pune via Mandu and Maheshwar. Again open your valet for your wife for Maheswari sarees!! If you feel including Mandu will increase distance skip it.

Only other recommendtion is if you can extend your trip by another day, you can vsist Chittorgarh as well from Udaipur.

I understand that it has rained well in Rajsathan this year and Udaipur is looking lovely.

As HVK right said, the roads are good and you can do Pune - AHD in one day comfortably.

Here is the link on google map.

Pune, Maharashtra to Pune, Maharashtra - Google Maps
Fauji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 13:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
In a thirteen day trip you are missing Jaisalmer! visit jaisalmer and sam sand dunes. They are worth staying for 2 days atleast. Also do not miss the Karni Mata Mandir (Rats temple) in Deshnok near Bikaner.

And you can easily reach ahmedabad from a pune in a day. We covered Udaipur-Lonavala in 18 hours with 2 hours time waste in daman included without getting tired (in a santro).

Make sure you are clear on how to avoid the narmada bridge as there is heavy traffic jam on he highway for the northbound traffic. South bound is ok. HVK will have an idea about that.

Last edited by vivek_vt : 22nd September 2011 at 13:37. Reason: Adding information
Old 22nd September 2011, 13:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You may click on the link below if you don't see the screenshot
Ahmedabad, Gujarat to Vadodara, Gujarat - Google Maps
You must include Jaisalmer in your scheme of things,its a must go place considering the fact that you are travelling all the way from Pune.
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parsh, those two places are planned in the next trip.
Ok, so you do have plans for that. However, going to Gir alone will be a single plan then, if you do later and so will be for Jaisalmer. I think you could include Jaisalmer in this tour only as it will complete your Raj circuit in one go, must include the Sand Dunes overnight stay (we used to sleep outside the Dune huts cluster directly on Sand with only a chaddar below only to find animal tracks around us in the morning, great experience), Pak border visit climbing atop army checkpost tower, fort etc. HVK, Fauji and GD sir could give good pointers on planning for this in your itinerary given your current plan.
Old 22nd September 2011, 20:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion for the route will be as follows

Here is the link to Google Map

Jodhpur(2days), Jaiselmer (2days), Bikaner (1 day), Jaipur (2days), Udaipur(2 days)- Mt. Abu (1 day)

1. You can visit Mt. Abu first and then next go to Jodhpur and on your return you can straight return from Udaipur to Ahemdabad. Roads are pretty good both sides.

2. In the above scenario you will have to make a separate trip to Ranakpur/ kumbhalgarh. Otherwise if you go to Udaipur to Mt. Abu then you can cover them and proceed to Mt. Abu

3. Chittorgarh can be done on your way from jaipur to Udaipur. You can squeeze in Ajmer also.

4. From bikaner to Jaipur, you can see the Mandawa haveli's. Or else you can also come via Ajmer

All the above mentioned roads are generally pretty good.

5. In rajasthan, every city will have its own unique thing to shop for. Your hawa mahal type wooden partition will be the best in Jodhpur, artificial and silver jewelery in Jaipur, Printed fabrics in jaipur and other artifacts, I believe in Udaipur. So shop where you can and you have the time.

Regards
deky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 21:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

Now that I can see the map, I know the route you plan to take.

Since you're crossing Ajmer on the way, you should drop in for a quick visit to the dargah and Pushkar. You can take your car all the way to Pushkar but for the dargah; you'd rather park it at a hotel/restaurant and then take an auto.

Unless you're a temple freak, both these shouldn't take you more than 4 hours.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:40   #15
BHPian

I am also planning a trip to Rajasthan during Diwali vacation. "Chewbacca", sorry I am using this thread to get answers to my queries as well. Thought it's good to include in this instead of creating a new thread. Hope you won't mind

I am planning the trip from 25th Oct - 1st Nov and here goes my plan. I would like to know your suggestions & whether it is feasible along with my 1.5yr old daughter (considering the stop overs etc)

25th Oct Pune - Mumbai (staying at relatives place)
26th Oct Mumbai - Udaipur
27th Oct Udaipur (sieghtseeing)
28th Oct Udaipur - Ranakpur - Jodhpur
29th Oct Jodhpur - Mount-Abu
30th Oct Mount-Abu
31st Oct Mount-Abu - Mumbai
1st Nov Mumbai - Pune

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks