Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2011, 18:08   #1
BHPian

Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

The puja holidays are coming up and I think it is a good excuse to go on a trip, and this time we plan to connect with nature.

The route we intend to take is from
Ernakulam (Kochi) - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Ernakulam (Kochi)

Google maps gave me a route, and I tinkered with it to create another route to my satisfaction. I have attached the images for both the routes. Kindly be kind enough to give these poor sods a heads up on the routes planned.
Attached Thumbnails
Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi-routemap1.jpg  

Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi-routemap2.jpg  

Old 25th September 2011, 20:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi

why don't you try the Munnar route?!
Old 25th September 2011, 21:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.1979 View Post
That is a good option. But need to note, we dont gain much distance.

The one via Munnar would be about 260-280, which is almost same as driving through Palani-Pollachi-Vadakacnsherry-Angamaly.
Only the 30km odd km near Trichur is pretty bad. Rest are all good roads.
While the road via Munnar would be lots of ghats.

The rest of the initial part of the drive (NH220), seems to be the only option for Gavi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 23:50   #4
BHPian

The starting point and ending point is the same @ 'D'

For the road to kanjirapalli, on the way to Gavi, should we go via the trusted Kottayam -Kanjirapally route? Was thinking of taking the more scenic Thodupuzha route on the way to Gavi.

From Gavi to Kodai it is the tried and tested route via Theni. What is the condition of this road?

On a major part I am looking for advice on the route from Kodaikanal to Kochi. In the second route map, I have outlined a route from Kodaikanal to kochin via Valparai and the solayar dam. Is there any checkpost in this region or any place we would have to cross before night. Also would like to know the road condition if anyone has been through that road recently.
Old 26th September 2011, 01:28   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
On a major part I am looking for advice on the route from Kodaikanal to Kochi. In the second route map, I have outlined a route from Kodaikanal to kochin via Valparai and the solayar dam. Is there any checkpost in this region or any place we would have to cross before night. Also would like to know the road condition if anyone has been through that road recently.
I have no idea on the Chalakudy side about any check related restrictions.
But any way it would not be advisable to take that route at night. Its very narrow.

Also, its quite scenic it would be good to take that route during daytime.
Old 26th September 2011, 01:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For the road to kanjirapalli, on the way to Gavi, should we go via the trusted Kottayam -Kanjirapally route? Was thinking of taking the more scenic Thodupuzha route on the way to Gavi.
To come to Kanjrappally, you dont have to go thru Kottayam; the road is bad as well. Instead you could come thru Vaikom - Thalayolaparambu - Koothattukulam [I guess] - Kozha - Pala - Kanjirappally. The entire stretch is SUPERB except 18 kms between Pala & Kanjirappally. From Kajirappally to Vandiperiyar, the roads are again average. Another option you have here to reach Kanjirappally is to go to Erattupetta from Pala. I am not sure of the road shape in this route, and this is slightly curvy too. Roads were good a couple of years back & lots of greenery too. If you take this route, you can visit Vagamon too if you want. And probably go to Gavi from Vagamon thru Kattappana route - not sure of the distance though.

When you choose this route via Pala, you will save a lot on distance too.

Quote:
From Gavi to Kodai it is the tried and tested route via Theni. What is the condition of this road?
Have been long in this route too till Vathalakkundu. Last time again the roads were average with unexpected potholes at times. Not sure its clear now. Heard that Cumbum road is good though.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th September 2011 at 01:51.
Old 26th September 2011, 01:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
indeed as far as i know, there is a check-post that opens at 6 in the morning and closes at 6. night traffic is restricted due to elephant migration at night.
Old 26th September 2011, 08:04   #8
BHPian

kodaikanal-valaparai route must be good. last week i did a trip to valparai from pollachi and the road was in excellent condition. but after valaparai i am not sure. one year back road condition was very bad in the jungle areas after valparai.
Old 26th September 2011, 10:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

To get to Gavi from Kochi, I would take the more scenic Idukki route till Kattapana, then come via Kuttikanam to Gavi. The Kanjirapalli route is also extremely scenic, and comes a close second. There are drive restrictions at night on the Idukki route.

There are also night drive restrictions on the Valparai-Athirapalli-Chalakudy route, the check posts are at Malakkiparai and Vazhachal. Road condition is terrible at the moment.

I heard that Vathalagundu-Kodai road is also not in good condition.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 10:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The Valparai route will be closed after 6PM and the roads are pretty narrow. I had taken Cochin - Munnar - Kodaikanal and the return trip through Kodaikanal - Palani - Pollachi - Cochin.
Both are pretty good. The pollachi road was bad but when we went it had just finished re surfacing. This was in April.
Old 27th September 2011, 00:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Been through there several times, looking for a change

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
To come to Kanjrappally, you dont have to go thru Kottayam; the road is bad as well. Instead you could come thru Vaikom - Thalayolaparambu - Koothattukulam [I guess] - Kozha - Pala - Kanjirappally. The entire stretch is SUPERB except 18 kms between Pala & Kanjirappally.
Ok. So this route it is.

Quote:
kodaikanal-valaparai route must be good. last week i did a trip to valparai from pollachi and the road was in excellent condition. but after valaparai i am not sure. one year back road condition was very bad in the jungle areas after valparai.
Keeping my fingers crossed that the roads you said are good will still remain so. If you can tell the route you took from Pollachi to valparai it would be great. Is it the same as given on the second map? I think from kodai also the road would be nearly the same right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
To get to Gavi from Kochi, I would take the more scenic Idukki route till Kattapana, then come via Kuttikanam to Gavi. The Kanjirapalli route is also extremely scenic, and comes a close second. There are drive restrictions at night on the Idukki route.

There are also night drive restrictions on the Valparai-Athirapalli-Chalakudy route, the check posts are at Malakkiparai and Vazhachal. Road condition is terrible at the moment.

I heard that Vathalagundu-Kodai road is also not in good condition.
HVK sir, read a lot about your travels. Hats off to you sir. Will be travelling from Kochi post noon. So I guess that we will have to take the Kanjirapally route itself.

We also plan to cover the Valparai - sholayar-athirapally-chalakkudy route beginning in the morning. Planning of taking it slow and scenic.

Bad roads approaching Kodai and bad roads leaving valparai. Here we come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The Valparai route will be closed after 6PM and the roads are pretty narrow. I had taken Cochin - Munnar - Kodaikanal and the return trip through Kodaikanal - Palani - Pollachi - Cochin.
Both are pretty good. The pollachi road was bad but when we went it had just finished re surfacing. This was in April.
Planning to leave kodai a bit early and get to valparai before the gates close. A little greasing will open locked gates. Does that saying apply water here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks