Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 11:17   #1
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Discovering Gujarat : Help required for route and accommodation

Hi i am planning a Gujarat trip for 7 nights during puja holidays.

Tentitive plans is as follows

Night - 1 Ahmedabad - 950 kms. Drive down from Delhi.

Night - 2 Ahmedabad - Visit Gandhi Ashram, Kankaria Lake, Handicarft-Landloom bazaar (Suggestions welcome)

Night - 3 Junagarh(330kms) - Enroute at Gonda - Navlakha Palace, Vintage car collection. Evening try lion safari or next day morning. Also see Upperkot fort, Darbar Hall.

Where to stay ?

Night - 4 - Somnath temple (85kms) - Evening aarti, Light & Sound show.

Night - 5 - Dwarka - Stop over at Madhavpur Beach, Porbandar - Mahatma Gandhi Memorial, Vivekananda Memorial, At Dwarka - Evening Aarti. Next day visit Nageshware Jyotir Linga temple, Bet Dwarka and drive to Jamnagar.

Night - 6 - Jamnagar - Jamnagar palace, Mandvi Tower, Lakhota lake.

Night - 7 - Gandhi Nagar - Akshardham Temple

Night - 8 - Delhi

Need hotel info. Present road conditions. Any other useful info.

Thanks in advance
Old 27th September 2011, 11:39   #2
BHPian

re: Discovering Gujarat : Help required for route and accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post

Night - 2 Ahmedabad - Visit Gandhi Ashram, Kankaria Lake, Handicarft-Landloom bazaar (Suggestions welcome)

Night - 3 Junagarh(330kms) - Enroute at Gonda - Navlakha Palace, Vintage car collection. Evening try lion safari or next day morning. Also see Upperkot fort, Darbar Hall.

Where to stay ?

Night - 5 - Dwarka - Stop over at Madhavpur Beach, Porbandar - Mahatma Gandhi Memorial, Vivekananda Memorial, At Dwarka - Evening Aarti. Next day visit Nageshware Jyotir Linga temple, Bet Dwarka and drive to Jamnagar.

Night - 8 - Delhi

Thanks in advance
Forget Kankaria lake. Nothing special about it really. Rather go to Adalaj nu vav (step-well) or Manek Chowk (around mid-night) to experience one helluva night-binging carnival. Also google 'Agashiye'. Try having the traditional Gujarati thali there.

Roads in Gujarat are really awesome. I'm not sure since I haven't been there in the last 2 years, So maybe HVK Sir will help you out on that. You can send him a PM.
Old 27th September 2011, 11:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
My goodness v&v! You wouldn't believe it, even I had planned (actually thought about it) for the same October 1st week kid's vacations. Same places, same type of drive plan. BUT, all my joy went out of window, when after listening all my plan, our son dropped the bombshell! reminding us that his half-yearly exams start immediately after the vacations (Oct. 10 to be precise!). And to add to my woes, they all made a good joke out of me seeing my facial expressions afterwards!! He has graduated to pre-board this year, so syllabus and standard of exams have been elevated a lot, so family not wiling to take chances. And there goes my opportunity to crunch over 3000 miles .

BTW, we'll copy details from your planning and repeat it some time in future. I somehow find that all the places that you visit with family, looks like a perfect plan for us to repeat . Be it your Manali trip in 2009 or Shimla-Narkanada, last March or your 2 Rajasthan trips and now this Gujrat one! Same style of doing it, same vehicle, same type of time frame, etc..

Sorry for going lil OT. I have not added any info, as not knowing anything worthwhile about those places, that you may not already know. I am sure others will help in fine-tuning it. I am sure people like SS Travellor, gd, ramky, etc, will add value.

Best wishes for your trip.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 27th September 2011 at 12:01.
Old 27th September 2011, 18:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:

Where to stay ?
Seems it's not possible. Distance between Gondal & Junagadh is approx 70. From Junagadh to Sasan Gir it is approx 25 km. So if you visit Gondal palace/cars it'll be late.

I guess needs a day depending on when you reach junagadh. Let me know # of people and a kind of accommodation you are looking at, I can help you out.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 27th September 2011, 18:45   #5
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
My goodness v&v! You wouldn't believe it, even I had planned (actually thought about it) for the same October 1st week kid's vacations. Same places, same type of drive plan. BUT, all my joy went out of window, when after listening all my plan, our son dropped the bombshell! reminding us that his half-yearly exams start immediately after the vacations (Oct. 10 to be precise!). And to add to my woes, they all made a good joke out of me seeing my facial expressions afterwards!! He has graduated to pre-board this year, so syllabus and standard of exams have been elevated a lot, so family not wiling to take chances. And there goes my opportunity to crunch over 3000 miles .

BTW, we'll copy details from your planning and repeat it some time in future. I somehow find that all the places that you visit with family, looks like a perfect plan for us to repeat . Be it your Manali trip in 2009 or Shimla-Narkanada, last March or your 2 Rajasthan trips and now this Gujrat one! Same style of doing it, same vehicle, same type of time frame, etc..

Sorry for going lil OT. I have not added any info, as not knowing anything worthwhile about those places, that you may not already know. I am sure others will help in fine-tuning it. I am sure people like SS Travellor, gd, ramky, etc, will add value.

Best wishes for your trip.
Thanks. Same here too, half yearly exams for my son just getting over on Friday. Hence this trip is ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Forget Kankaria lake. Nothing special about it really. Rather go to Adalaj nu vav (step-well) or Manek Chowk (around mid-night) to experience one helluva night-binging carnival. Also google 'Agashiye'. Try having the traditional Gujarati thali there.

Roads in Gujarat are really awesome. I'm not sure since I haven't been there in the last 2 years, So maybe HVK Sir will help you out on that. You can send him a PM.
Thanks creative. will swap Kankaria with step-well.

Now need reference for Hotels at Ahmedabad - 2 nights.
How is fortune landmark at usmanpura ?

Same way for Dwarka- Hotel Dhamji ?
Old 28th September 2011, 06:42   #6
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Seems it's not possible. Distance between Gondal & Junagadh is approx 70. From Junagadh to Sasan Gir it is approx 25 km. So if you visit Gondal palace/cars it'll be late.

I guess needs a day depending on when you reach junagadh. Let me know # of people and a kind of accommodation you are looking at, I can help you out.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Thanks pradeep. As per the latest update, not yet confirmed, Gir will be closed till Oct 15th. So i think safari will not be possible. Can someone update on the same. We will visit Devaliya to see the lions.

More over now there is slight alteration as the hotel bookings are getting confirmed. We are 2 adults and 2 kids under 12.

Now the plan stands as :

Night 1-2 Ahmadabad - Need hotel suggestion. How about Royal Highness near rupali cinema, Fourtune Landmark Usmanpura

Night 3 - Dwarka - Need Accomodation

Night 4-5 - Gir - Confirmed at Clubmahindra Safari resort

Night 6 - Gandhi Nagar - Fortune or Haveli at sector 11

Night 7 - Udaipur - Flora

Day 8 Back to delhi.
Old 28th September 2011, 07:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Night 1-2 Ahmadabad - Need hotel suggestion. How about Royal Highness near rupali cinema, Fourtune Landmark Usmanpura
Both are nice hotels. But I would prefer The Westend or Kanak. They are located near Law Garden, Chaupati, C.G Road - that way you can enjoy a little more while staying and may decide to go out for food. Agashiye (a must go for Gujarati dining experience) will be less than couple of kilometers from these hotels if you decide to stay here and have Gujarati Thali at Agashiye.

I am not sure if you should drop Kankaria but yeah the Vav is really beautiful.

When are you planning your trip to Ahd? If during Puja holidays, you should not miss the Garba night. I have been away from Ahd for 10 years now so cannot point you to the venue which is most in demand this season but the usual venues like Rajpath or Karnavati Club would still be good.

Last edited by akbaree : 28th September 2011 at 07:32.
akbaree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 07:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Since Sasan Gir is closed anyway, maybe you can tweak your drive plan a but and spend that night in Diu - drive there from Junagarh instead of to Gir. From Diu, you can reach Somnath.

At Dwaraka, I have stayed at Gujarat Tourism Toran hotel.

In Dwaraka, do not miss Rukmini Devi Temple.

Why do you want to return to Ahmedabad? Finish off Akshardam on onward journey. For return journey, you can come from Jamnagar directly to Morbi, then take NH15 from Samakhiyari to Radhanpur, Palanpur, Abu Road and either Udaipur (preferred)/Jodhpur for a different route. You can even come to Mehsana, see the temples/ tanks of Modera and go on to Delhi.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 07:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Now need reference for Hotels at Ahmedabad - 2 nights.
How is fortune landmark at usmanpura ?
Fortune Landmark is nice place to stay. You will not be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Why do you want to return to Ahmedabad? Finish off Akshardam on onward journey. For return journey, you can come from Jamnagar directly to Morbi, then take NH15 from Samakhiyari to Radhanpur, Palanpur, Abu Road and either Udaipur (preferred)/Jodhpur for a different route. You can even come to Mehsana, see the temples/ tanks of Modera and go on to Delhi.
+1. You can finish Akshardham during your Ahmadabad stay. If you plan it for during weekday, it will not take more than 5 - 6 hours. By doing this, you don't have to come back to Ahmadabad on your return journey.
Old 28th September 2011, 09:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same way for Dwarka- Hotel Dhamji ?
Go for hotel Daamji.
That is the best hotel in Dwarka.
I stayed at that place last year for two nights.
Spacious and clean rooms, good parking and nice restaurant.
For ref, please go through my travelogue: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ilgrimage.html

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 28th September 2011 at 09:38.
Old 28th September 2011, 09:29   #11
J.Ravi

Quote:
Night 1-2 Ahmadabad - Need hotel suggestion.
I recommend Ginger Hotels at Ahmedabad. It has secured car parking. It's behind Himalaya Mall. Ginger hotels | Ginger Ahmedabad | Hotel profile

Old 28th September 2011, 11:42   #12
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Both are nice hotels. But I would prefer The Westend or Kanak. They are located near Law Garden, Chaupati, C.G Road - that way you can enjoy a little more while staying and may decide to go out for food. Agashiye (a must go for Gujarati dining experience) will be less than couple of kilometers from these hotels if you decide to stay here and have Gujarati Thali at Agashiye.

I am not sure if you should drop Kankaria but yeah the Vav is really beautiful.

When are you planning your trip to Ahd? If during Puja holidays, you should not miss the Garba night. I have been away from Ahd for 10 years now so cannot point you to the venue which is most in demand this season but the usual venues like Rajpath or Karnavati Club would still be good.
Didnt find much option at CG road. Finally booked Ginger. Got a good deal for weekend. Gujarati Thali at Agashiye is 100% ON. We are there during the puja holidays and would love to experience Garba. Will find out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Since Sasan Gir is closed anyway, maybe you can tweak your drive plan a but and spend that night in Diu - drive there from Junagarh instead of to Gir. From Diu, you can reach Somnath.

At Dwaraka, I have stayed at Gujarat Tourism Toran hotel.

In Dwaraka, do not miss Rukmini Devi Temple.

HVK , I have already booked 2 nights with Clubmahindra. Since i am a member, the stay is free. But i am planning a drive to Diu for sure. Rukmini Devi Temple is cards, will surely visit.

Ahmedabad we have only one day would like to devote for Ahmadabad and since we have to visit Udaipur, would like to stop for a night at Gandhi nagar the proceed to Udaipur. One full half day for Akshardham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Fortune Landmark is nice place to stay. You will not be disappointed.

+1. You can finish Akshardham during your Ahmadabad stay. If you plan it for during weekday, it will not take more than 5 - 6 hours. By doing this, you don't have to come back to Ahmadabad on your return journey.
Ahmadabad we are getting only 1 day and 2 nights. So it will be tight. Thats why the return was planned again via Ahmadabad. Buy stay at Gandhinagar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Go for hotel Daamji.
That is the best hotel in Dwarka.
I stayed at that place last year for two nights.
Spacious and clean rooms, good parking and nice restaurant.
For ref, please go through my travelogue: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ilgrimage.html
Thanks. Booked Daamji. Nice TL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I recommend Ginger Hotels at Ahmedabad. It has secured car parking. It's behind Himalaya Mall. Ginger hotels | Ginger Ahmedabad | Hotel profile
Thanks Ravi, Booked Ginger.
Old 28th September 2011, 13:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Where to stay ?

Night - 8 - Delhi

Thanks in advance
Girnar on the way back from Somnath is worth visiting.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 20:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v

Vintage car museum in Ahmedabad called DASTAN. Don't miss this, you will enjoy a lot. It's on Sardar Patel ring road. I believe there is a dedicated thread for this museum on this forum.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 10:31   #15
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. Final Itinerary is as follows after hotel booking.

Night 1-2 Ahmadabad - Ginger

Places Planned : Akshardham, Dastan Farm (Vintage Village), Law Garden, Textile Museum, Hilta Minar, Garba Night.

Night 3 - Dwarka - Hotel Shreedarshan. (Dhamji was soldout)
Places Planned Dwarakadhish Temple, Rukmani Temple, Bet Dwarka , Porbander

Night 4-5 - Gir - Confirmed at Clubmahindra Safari resort
Gir, Junagadh, Diu, Somnath

Night 6 - Jamnagar - Hotel president
Pirotan island , beaches, Ayurved University,Pratap Villas, Khijadia Bird Sanctuary

Night 7 - Udaipur - Flora (Via Abu road)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks