Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 11:24   #31
Team-BHP Support

Classic Hill Top Resort Chamba, Chamba Hotels, Chamba Resorts, Chamba Near Mussoorie, Garhwa
this is same group as the Auli resorts
60kms from Rishikesh
Old 14th July 2009, 11:38   #32
BHPian

Any suggestion for a 2days trip around Delhi?

Hi Delhi BHPians,

Presently I am in Noida for an official visit. I would like to know any good weekend holiday places I can visit, please provide your suggestions. I am looking for good hill stations, as last time I have visited Agra, Jaipur etc. Places in my lists are Shimla, Manali, Musoorie etc..

Please provide your suggestions with best travel methods. I may have to hire some taxis or travel in train or Bus, and I have only 2 days to spare.

There were many good suggestions already read in this thread, but I would like to know any recent changes.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 14th July 2009, 12:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Hi Delhi BHPians,

Presently I am in Noida for an official visit. I would like to know any good weekend holiday places I can visit, please provide your suggestions. I am looking for good hill stations, as last time I have visited Agra, Jaipur etc. Places in my lists are Shimla, Manali, Musoorie etc...Thanks
Rajesh
I would suggest McLeodganj in HP. It is a beautiful place if you don't mind the crowd on the weekends. It is a overnight journey in a comfortable Volvo bus that leaves Delhi's Kashmere Gate or you can book at HPTDC office at Janpath. You will leave around 6 in the evening and reach around 8 in the morning. Same timings for return trips also.

Places to see are aplenty there. You can visit Dharmshala, Palampur - both are not very far off. In McLeodganj, you have the Dalai Lama temple, Bhagsunag and some interesting treks to some waterfalls around.

Places to stay are plenty ranging from 500/- to 3000/-.

Hope this helps
Old 15th July 2009, 05:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A good option is Corbett, which is 4-5 hours from Delhi, but is closed in summers and rainy season.
Corbett is not closed in the summers. It closes around June-15th or so, or the first rains. If anything, the summers are the best time for sightings.

Delhi-Moradabad stretch is by no means bad unless things have changed substantially since feb 2009 when i was last there. The worst part of the journey on this road is getting out of Delhi, but that is true for any non-Delhiite goin in any direction! Last time around, i had a fellow biker ride ahead till that bridge across the yamuna towards GZB and i was out of Delhi in a frikking 15 mins! I would say that if you leave Delhi by 5 you should be able to beat the nasty traffic and be in Nainital by 1130 or so.

Lansdowne is nice and charming. But there is a place called Ranikhet which is a personal favorite: not too crowded on a weekday and perfect B-M-W (Baby making weather) . around 8 hours by bike, perhaps shorter by car.
Old 15th July 2009, 14:51   #35
BHPian

I just came back from Corbett and it is not closed. Some gates get closed like Dhikala. But Gate like Jhirna are open through out the year and yes it is fun! and the monsoon makes the jungle look so lively.
Old 16th July 2009, 11:38   #36
BHPian

Thanks a lot travelwriter, rhandle and COUGAR,

Corbett is ruled out as I am not interested to see national parks. One of the member in our team is from HP, and he don't want to see HP again, so finally decided to go Dehradun and Musoorie. Booking a Qualis/Tavera/Innova for us (6guys) and leaving on Saturday late night and coming back on Monday eve. I hope as monsoon started in north, its off-season for these places..!! Any recent update on accommodation? Also will the climate be cold?

Thanks
Rajesh

Last edited by RajeshK : 16th July 2009 at 11:54.
Old 18th July 2009, 13:01   #37
BHPian

Things changed in the last minute. Finally we decide to go to Nainital. Will start tonight 10pm from Noida in my college's car.
Hope the climate will be okey, not much monsoon. Also being the off season now hotels can be cheap. Any suggestion on hotel?

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:51   #38
abk
BHPian

I maybe a li'l late onto this thread. However, I'd strongly recommend to drive past Nainital to Pangot. It is about 15-20kms from Nainital (an hour's drive because of the road condition). It is delightfully blissful and far from the mad rush of touristic Nainital. Of course, you can choose to spend a few hours at the Naini lake. PM me if you need more info.
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

It is still not off-season. Yes, the vacations have ended, hence the tourist inflow would be lot less. But weekends will be crowded. The plain sin the North are still hot, and monsoons in the hills is a sight to watch..

Quote:
I hope as monsoon started in north, its off-season for these places..!! Any recent update on accommodation? Also will the climate be cold?

Thanks
Rajesh
Quote:
Also being the off season now hotels can be cheap. Any suggestion on hotel?

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 27th July 2009, 17:56   #40
BHPian

@ abk and gd1418, Thanks for your feedbacks.

I am back in Delhi on 20th July'09. It was a nice trip. Monsoon was about to touch Nainital and the climate was very good. The clouds were touching the lake, and boat journey was fantastic. Few of the snaps are below. Will post a detailed travelogue once I am back to Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Weekend Getaways (delhi)-nainital_hills.jpg  

Best Weekend Getaways (delhi)-nainital_lake1.jpg  

Old 28th July 2009, 14:44   #41
BHPian

2-3 hours Drive: Neemrana
4-5 hours Drive: Jaipur / Agra (best between October and March)
7-8 hours Drive: Lansdowne, Naukuchiatal, Rishikesh
8-9 hours Drive: Kasauli, Shimla, Chail, Almora, Mussoorie, Dhanaulti
10-12 hours Drive: McLeodganj, Dharamshala

The hours I have written are only rough estimates and actual driving time will depend on traffic / weather (rains = delays) / time of the day. I recently did Delhi - Naukuchiatal in 8 hours. There was a 1 hour long traffic jam at Garh Mukteshwar, otherwise it was a pretty clear highway. The roads were bad between Gajraula and Garh Mukteshwar, but pretty good after Moradabad.

Happy Driving!
Old 5th August 2009, 19:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Any good hotels to stay in Nainital ?

specially on the Mall Road and facing Lake, please suggest

Max budget per night 4-5k.
Old 6th August 2009, 07:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Any good hotels to stay in Nainital ?

specially on the Mall Road and facing Lake, please suggest

Max budget per night 4-5k.
My favourite is The Grand, though they close down during 'low season'.
Old 28th January 2010, 23:46   #44
BHPian

6 months and nobody wants a weekend getaway from Delhi??
Ok back to my point. We are a group of 11 college friends and desperately need a break from our usual lives (budding engineers). Now we want to go some place not very far off and approachable by train. And i would personally love to stay in a tourism waalon ki dorm (have memories of jumping on 11 beds before going to sleep ).
We plan to go in the first week of Feb. What say people?
Old 31st January 2010, 12:47   #45
BHPian

Try campsites around places like Sattaal and Mukteshwar in Uttarakhand. Wildrift runs some pretty decent camps there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks