Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 14:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Simlipal Tiger Reserve - Orissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Yes, there is a tiger reserve in Satkosia as well as a Ghariyal reserve. We went there in May 2008 but did not see any tiger . In fact I have been to many tiger reserves in India but till now the king has not given "Darshan".
I do not know, which are the tiger reserves you have been so far but certainly (though tiger sighting is uncertain) i would recommend you to go to Bandhavgarh with a 3 day tour with at least 6 safaris. You will not be dissapointed.
Old 13th January 2012, 14:13   #17
BHPian

In satkosia gonda, its very hard to come across Tigers. Been there twice, but have never even heard them mentioned. Its all about gharials.

And simlipal - thats a matter of family legend and memory. My materal side is from Baripada, and my uncle's in laws are from Jashipur; my grandfather on my mothers side used to be a timber contractor in Simlipal. So frequently we heard stories of him driving in a vehicle, with no wipers, a man sitting on the bonnet and wiping the screen. And them coming upon a tiger. I went once to simlipal as a kid (must be around 1993-4). We missed a tiger by 5 min, which was apparently sleeping on the road for hours.

As a child I have vivid memories of that trip- the forest seemed like a very dense forest, kilometres and kilometres of jungle roads, where you are always worried about wild elephants (which had broken a dak bungalow the day before), of crossing over to the forest bungalow over trenches dug in to stop elephants. Of Barehipani waterfall - a thin necklace of of water, which drips from an immpossible height, to depths one can't see. Of Joranda waterfall, where there was a gushing straight screen of water, so unlike Barehipani.

May be because I was a kid then, therefore the images are more dark and frightening. Maybe the forest is still like that. When I came of age to go on my own, Maoists had taken over. I went to Kanha, Ranthambore, Katerniaghat, Bandhipur instead, seeing the packaged and the easy.

But yes. Since last year the forest has been opened again. Not all of it, but fairly open. Hopefully the Maoists haven't done too much damage to the fauna. Wish you all the very best in your interests in Simlipal. The Royal Bengals of Simlipal have always been said to be the big ones in business.

Last edited by manolin : 13th January 2012 at 14:15.
Old 13th January 2012, 21:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Never seen a tiger in Simlipal. Didn't stop it from being a magical place. (And I had been going there from the time when one could go into the core area).

Massive deforestation, as is the norm all over India.

What accommodation is open in Simlipal now?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:36   #19
BHPian

Similipal Tiger Reserve will open from 09-Nov-2012.

The Similipal Tiger Reserve will open from 09-Nov-2012.

Tourist can enter the forest at "PITHABATA" & "JASHIPUR" from 6 AM to 9 AM.
20 Vechile from "PITHABATA" and 40 vehicles from "JASHIPUR" can enter in a day.
There will be a GUIDE in every vehicle.

Entry fee :-

Rs. 100 = For every vehicle
Rs.40 = Per person (Indian)
Rs 1000 = Per Person (Foreigner)

Special permission required for foreign national from police and District collector office.

The night halt facility is available on GUDUGUDIA and JAMUANI forest bungalow.

Now it is safe to visit SIMILIPAL No fear of Maoist now.

Similipal Tiger Reserve website :-

http://www.similipal.org/

Last edited by KALINGA : 3rd November 2012 at 10:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks