Team-BHP - Simlipal Tiger Reserve - Orissa
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Simlipal Tiger Reserve - Orissa (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/109433-simlipal-tiger-reserve-orissa.html)

Has anyone been to Simlipal Tiger Reserve in Orissa?

How is the park?
Hotels/Resorts near the park?
Entry permits? Safaris?
How to reach there - from Delhi?
Are there good Tiger sightings in the park?

Would be good if someone who has been to Simlipal respond.

Thanks.

Some months ago it was closed for tourists due to Mao attack in forest office in similipal.
No idea about the current situation.
Best time is November to February to visit this forest.
You can get permit / book resort at BARIPADA / Jashipur forest office.

Take flight to Bhubaneswar. Then take bus / cab to baripada or direct to Similipal. But take only SUV / MUV type car.

If you are coming in train then come till "BALASORE" then take bus / cab to baripada or direct to Similipal.

if you are lucky then you can find tiger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KALINGA (Post 2543011)
Some months ago it was closed for tourists due to Mao attack in forest office in similipal.
No idea about the current situation.
Best time is November to February to visit this forest.
You can get permit / book resort at BARIPADA / Jashipur forest office.

Take flight to Bhubaneswar. Then take bus / cab to baripada or direct to Similipal. But take only SUV / MUV type car.

If you are coming in train then come till "BALASORE" then take bus / cab to baripada or direct to Similipal.

if you are lucky then you can find tiger.

oh - so it is not in a safe area for tourists! i guess no point going there then if one has to keep looking over ones shoulder as it would spoil the vacations?

I will not recommend that place for vacation with family right now.
This is due to Mao issue.
But i m not aware of current situation, if tourists are allowed into the forest or not.

As kalinga has said about Mao issues, Neighboring areas of sanctury are also affected, i travelled from Kedujhaghar towards Kolkata on NH6, there was not a single proper shop to purchase food items and none of them electricity. Had to buy water from a pan shop attached to his house.

NH6 Highway was deserted for most of the day and no one uses it in night.

I suggest that you venture towards Pench & other sacturies near nagpur. Probability of Tiger sighting is also higher in those places.

Hi All,

A good news for those who want to go Simlipal Tiger Reserve - Orissa
Now it is safe for tourists.
Similipal is now open for tourists. This was open from this Monday.
it has 2 entrance point, now both are open for tourists.

1) Jashipur --> kaliapani check gate
2) Baripada --> lulung check gate

Now resort in Gudugudia and Jamuani forest bungalow will be manage by private tour operator.So one can expect better service there.

Note :- Similipal was closed from April-2009 after the Mao attack on forest office/guard.It was closed almost 2 years and 7 months for tourists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KALINGA (Post 2578567)
Hi All,

A good news for those who want to go Simlipal Tiger Reserve - Orissa
Now it is safe for tourists.
Similipal is now open for tourists. This was open from this Monday.
it has 2 entrance point, now both are open for tourists.
Great.
1) Jashipur --> kaliapani check gate
2) Baripada --> lulung check gate

Now resort in Gudugudia and Jamuani forest bungalow will be manage by private tour operator.So one can expect better service there.

Note :- Similipal was closed from April-2009 after the Mao attack on forest office/guard.It was closed almost 2 years and 7 months for tourists.

Hi,
Lulung still under OTDC?
What about Chahala, Nawana, Barehapani etc?

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2579022)
Hi,
Lulung still under OTDC?
What about Chahala, Nawana, Baehapani etc?

Regards
Sutripta

Those all are still with OTDC / Forest dept.

What is the procedure like for obtaining permits? I remember that for the Kalapani gate, you have to approach the Forest Office in Jashipur?

HVK Sir,

We usually follow the same method, approach the Forest Office in Jashipur / Baripada.
Never tried OTDC route.

I went to Simplipal in November 2005. It is a very nice place, but did not see any tiger. Me and my friend went out at night and when we returned found out everybody was looking for us as an elephant herd was reported to be nearby. We started from Calcutta at 12 a.m and reached Simplipal forest gate at 8 a.m and got the permit. There was no hassle or waiting to get the permit.

Gentlemen,
Is there a tiger reserve in Satkosia as well? Next month I shall be visiting Talcher for some personal work and am taking my wife and daughter with me, assuring them of paying a visit to Satkosia.
Satkosia Tiger Reserve - Angul, Orissa,India
Possibly the only problem is that I have to go to Angul town one day in advance to fetch the permission from the Divisional Forest Officer to enter the forest with my car.
Is there any possibility of seeing a tiger there?
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta

An old jungle saying - you can't see the Tiger till it deems fit to be seen.:)

But you will be and shall be constantly watched by the King of the Jungle. It was only after my 7 futile visits to various sanctuaries that the King had pity on me and gave 'darshan' in Jan, 2011.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul4640 (Post 2580199)

Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta

^^^
Agree totally.

Never sighted a tiger in Simlipal. Been there numerous times. No idea of tiger sighting opportunities in Basipali. But not having come up in general conversation, don't think it figures.

Another place I liked was UshaKothi. But been there only a couple of times.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul4640 (Post 2580199)
Gentlemen,
Is there a tiger reserve in Satkosia as well? Next month I shall be visiting Talcher for some personal work and am taking my wife and daughter with me, assuring them of paying a visit to Satkosia.
Satkosia Tiger Reserve - Angul, Orissa,India
Possibly the only problem is that I have to go to Angul town one day in advance to fetch the permission from the Divisional Forest Officer to enter the forest with my car.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta

Yes, there is a tiger reserve in Satkosia as well as a Ghariyal reserve. We went there in May 2008 but did not see any tiger :Frustrati. In fact I have been to many tiger reserves in India but till now the king has not given "Darshan".