Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2015, 08:20   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune - Mysore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bang-On!

Thats the route.

Mysore-Srirangapatna-Pandavpura-Neligere-Huliyar-Hiriyur-Hubli-Pune.

Roads are very good. But yes, there will humps till Hiriyur.

Here is a thread on this route:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...option-10.html

If you start by 2PM, you should be in Mysore by 5-6PM itself.
Thanks Ampere for directing me to this thread.

If I am able to make it to Mysore by 5-6 PM, is it advisable to push on till chitradurga and halt there overnight? This will result in less driving on the final day? I assume Mysore-Pune will take around 14hrs.
Old 6th September 2015, 11:58   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Thanks Ampere for directing me to this thread.

If I am able to make it to Mysore by 5-6 PM, is it advisable to push on till chitradurga and halt there overnight? This will result in less driving on the final day? I assume Mysore-Pune will take around 14hrs.
I would say not worth it @vibbs. Because then you would be driving on 2-Lane road, and one with lot of humps. Mysore halt makes more sense to me.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 08:22   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would say not worth it @vibbs. Because then you would be driving on 2-Lane road, and one with lot of humps. Mysore halt makes more sense to me.
Thanks Ampere. That is exactly what I did. Stopped over at Mysore and drove down to Pune next day. Took me around 14 hrs. Roads till Hiriyur are good except for the unmarked humps. Must leave a note of mention about my Punto. It is really a mile muncher. At the end of a 14 hr drive, both me and my wife were as fresh as we could have been.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 15:32   #154
BHPian

I am planning to drive down to Mysore ( then onto Ooty ) from Pune on first week of November and looking for some advice please. Leafing through the threads here, gather that the recommended route is taking a detour from Hiriyur via NH150A, which would mean circa 220 Km of travel on double lane roads with occasional unmarked speed breakers thrown in the midst

Appreciate that this is a decent route, but depending on the time I am able to leave Pune, may have to cover a part of this stretch after dark, which am not very keen, as travelling with family.

I would like to be armed with the route-plan of driving through to Bangalore on NH4 and then take NH275 towards Mysore - understand this would be rather protracted, but gives me the leeway of camping in Bangalore overnight, should the schedule go disarray than originally envisaged, albeit would like to make it to Mysore at the end of first day

Can I request the experts on this circuit to share their wisdom on the following please ?
  • To avoid the Bangalore traffic, at which exact point should I exit NH4 to head Mysore-ward ?
  • Time and distance-wise how much do I lose/gain going via Bangalore vis-a-vis Hiriyur ?
  • Don't intend to book accommodations in advance and rather keep a few places to crash on in hand and confirm on the travel date - would that be an issue during this time of the year in Mysore and Ooty ?
Any other pointers for a first timer on this route would be much appreciated.

Will come back with more queries, as I keep building on the plan - many thanks in anticipation !
Old 5th October 2015, 16:22   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subirdas View Post
Appreciate that this is a decent route, but depending on the time I am able to leave Pune, may have to cover a part of this stretch after dark, which am not very keen, as travelling with family.
I wont advise it for a night drive. The main reason being, many humps on the route which you can miss. Hence best is to start very early say 3AM from Pune and cover this distance in daylight.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 17:39   #156
BHPian

Quote:

Can I request the experts on this circuit to share their wisdom on the following please ?
  • To avoid the Bangalore traffic, at which exact point should I exit NH4 to head Mysore-ward ?
  • Time and distance-wise how much do I lose/gain going via Bangalore vis-a-vis Hiriyur ?
  • Don't intend to book accommodations in advance and rather keep a few places to crash on in hand and confirm on the travel date - would that be an issue during this time of the year in Mysore and Ooty ?
Any other pointers for a first timer on this route would be much appreciated.

• You can take the NICE exit from NH4, (it is well marked in Google maps) and reach Mysore road just after Kengeri.
  • It's approx 80 KMS extra through Bangalore (NICE road). But you get 4 lanes all the way till Mysore.
    The only hitch here is the timing of your drive between Bangalore - Mysore, because this being Dasara season, there will be lot of traffic on weekends and holidays. There is another thread discussing this altogether.
    So, depending your time of travel you can decide upon either of these routes (Hiriyur turn-off or Bangalore).
  • As mentioned above, this being the tourist season, there will be lot of crowd. Since you are planning in Nov, the crowd may have reduced then. Dasara is last week of October, but tourists continue to flock until 1-2 weeks more to surrounding areas. It would be good idea to book in advance so that you have good options to choose.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 01:20   #157
BHPian

Quote:
I wont advise it for a night drive. The main reason being, many humps on the route which you can miss. Hence best is to start very early say 3AM from Pune and cover this distance in daylight.
I may not be able to start at 03:00 hours, but your views on driving through this double lane stretch at night vindicates my original trepidation - I'll get off NH4 in Bangalore. Thanks Ampere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
  • You can take the NICE exit from NH4, (it is well marked in Google maps) and reach Mysore road just after Kengeri.
  • It's approx 80 KMS extra through Bangalore (NICE road). But you get 4 lanes all the way till Mysore.
    The only hitch here is the timing of your drive between Bangalore - Mysore, because this being Dasara season, there will be lot of traffic on weekends and holidays. There is another thread discussing this altogether.
    So, depending your time of travel you can decide upon either of these routes (Hiriyur turn-off or Bangalore).
  • As mentioned above, this being the tourist season, there will be lot of crowd. Since you are planning in Nov, the crowd may have reduced then. Dasara is last week of October, but tourists continue to flock until 1-2 weeks more to surrounding areas. It would be good idea to book in advance so that you have good options to choose.
  • Thanks gypsyFreak. Just so that I have got this clear in my mind, by NICE exit, did you mean taking "NICE Ring Road" after passing Nadgir Institute of Engineering on the left of NH4 ?
  • With a 4-4:30 AM start, I will likely hit Bangalore around 6-6:30 PM and on the Diwali week - doesn't look too encouraging.Does it ?
  • Whilst I appreciate your advice on early booking, this also means that I'll have little room to play with my destination location for the day, i.e. on the first day, have to hit Mysore, should I get myself booked there beforehand.
Old 13th October 2015, 18:25   #158
BHPian

Answers are inline...

Quote:
Thanks gypsyFreak. Just so that I have got this clear in my mind, by NICE exit, did you mean taking "NICE Ring Road" after passing Nadgir Institute of Engineering on the left of NH4 ?
Yes, that's the one

Quote:
With a 4-4:30 AM start, I will likely hit Bangalore around 6-6:30 PM and on the Diwali week - doesn't look too encouraging.Does it ?
Yep, not that good. Nov 10, 11, 12 are the festival days, so expect heavy traffic on 6th(Friday), 7th and probably 9th and 10th.

Quote:
Whilst I appreciate your advice on early booking, this also means that I'll have little room to play with my destination location for the day, i.e. on the first day, have to hit Mysore, should I get myself booked there beforehand.

Would be safe to have the bookings done earlier. You might get accommodations without booking also, but choices will be less. You might want to check hotels that offer free cancellation in Makemytrip.

Mod Note: Please avoid responding within quoted post. It becomes difficult if some one has to respond back to your post.

Last edited by ampere : 13th October 2015 at 19:58. Reason: Fixed text in quoted post
gypsyFreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 11:55   #159
Senior - BHPian

Last Saturday, I did Davangere - Calicut (through Hiriyur - Huliyar - Chikkanayakanahalli - Kibbanahalli Cross - Turuvekere - Nelligere - Nagamangala - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - Columbia Asia Signal - Ring Road - Hunsur - Nagarhole National Park -Kutta - Kattikulam - Panamaram - Kalpetta - Thamaraserry Ghat - Calicut) in Fiat Punto MJD
  • There are potholes, craters, broken patches, speedbreakers etc but overall the roads are good and still remains the fastest route connecting NH4 and Mysore. I averaged 50 kmph approx including quick tea and bio breaks
  • Hiriyur - Huliyar has good surface (watch for speedbreakers)
  • The broken patches, potholes and craters are mainly in the Huliyar - Chiknayakanahalli - Nelligere. May be you should let someone act as a lead car for you to avoid potholes and unmarked speedbreakers
  • Pandavapura railway gate is closed, take the Railway Over Bridge
  • Timings : Davangere 0720 | Hiriyur 0825 | Huliyar 0930 | Chikanayakanahalli 1000 | Bellur Cross 1100 | Nagamangala 1115 | Srirangapatna 1205 | Columbia Asia Hospital 1215
Klub Class is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 19:01   #160

Dear Friends, I am planning to do Pune Mysore Ooty Kodai munnar starting Dec 30 and returning Jan 09. Need advice on the route details and any special instructions I need to look at. I have read through the forum and found suggestion related to Pune Bangalore Mysore however thought of doing teh following route
pune-Mysore-bandipur-ooty-munnar-kodaikanal-pune.
Any suggestions or tips welcome. Thanks in advance!
Old 30th December 2015, 18:31   #161
BHPian

Re: Pune - Mysore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshbangali View Post
Dear Friends, I am planning to do Pune Mysore Ooty Kodai munnar starting Dec 30 and returning Jan 09. Need advice on the route details and any special instructions I need to look at. I have read through the forum and found suggestion related to Pune Bangalore Mysore however thought of doing teh following route
pune-Mysore-bandipur-ooty-munnar-kodaikanal-pune.
Any suggestions or tips welcome. Thanks in advance!
I have used the following route to Mysore from Pune.

On NH4 travel up to Hiriyur (aftert Chitradurga) and come out of NH4 from there. From Hiriyur, you need to take state highway upto Mysore. You can follow the below route
Hiriyur -- Huliyar -- Chikkanayakanahalli -- Kibbanahalli -- Turuvukere -- Nagamangala - Pandavapura -- Srirangapatana -- Mysore

If you start around 5 or 5:30 am, you can reach Mysore around 6:30pm with short lunch and breakfast. Not sure your plan in Mysore. You have stuff to see one or two days in Mysore.

To go to Ooty, the route is very simple. Take Nanjangud - Gundalpet route.
sarinkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 16:37   #162
BHPian

I am making another of my yearly trips to Kerala this weekend... As I usually do, the plan is to reach Mysore by around 7pm and to resume the journey next morning.

A quick recheck of some of the threads tell me that Atharva resorts around Davanagere should be a decent option for a lunch stop, considering I typically pass Davanagere at around 1 pm if everything goes well. Any recent experiences?

Breakfast is usually at Sai International and I will stick to that this time too.

I will put in an update once I complete my journey..
Old 30th April 2016, 11:41   #163
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
A quick recheck of some of the threads tell me that Atharva resorts around Davanagere should be a decent option for a lunch stop, considering I typically pass Davanagere at around 1 pm if everything goes well.
I think you are referring to Apoorva Resorts ? Have seen lot of people say this place is good, no personal experience though.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 15:09   #164
BHPian

Hello Friends. I had planned a trip to Mysore and Ooty from Pune. We were 05 persons travelling in Innova. I was the only person driving the car. We started from Pune for Davangere. I had selected Davangere for night halt, as the distance from Pune to Davangere is approximately 580 kms and out of 850kms (Mysore) only 321 kms were left to be covered for the next day. I had read that, one should cover as much as distance possible on the first day of the journey.

We started at around 7am for Davangere. We had planned to leave around 5am so that, we can cover fair amount of distance without the traffic. I wanted to pass the Satara Kolhapur traffic as early as possible. I had travelled to Goa in the month of December 2015 which was my first trip on the National Highway 4. Most of my trips were towards Mumbai side due to the road conditions. I got traffic at Satara and the usual diversions due to the ongoing road widening and fly over projects.

We stopped for breakfast at Hotel Sai International at around 10.45am. Food quality at Sai International was very good. We had our breakfast at the self service section. Our breakfast was complete within short span of time. We were again on the road. After crossing Kolhapur the density of two wheelers reduced and the two wheeler traffic after or around Belgaum were on the extreme left of the road which did not pose any danger during overtaking from the left side of the truck or any other vehicle. The roads in Karnataka have extra small lane for the two wheelers which is very practical and good. We reached Dharwad and stopped at Kamat Upachar for lunch. I should mention about the North Indian and South Indian Thali they served us. The food quality was really very good and the person taking the order was also very prompt.

After completing our lunch at around 3.15-3.30pm we were again on the road. After driving at around 100-110 kmph we reached Davanagere at 5.45-6pm. The internal roads of Davangere are a bit congested. We used Google Map to locate the hotel. Finally we checked in at Srigandha Residency. The hotel was value for money. Rooms were clean and good.

Next day, i.e. 14.05.2016 we left for Mysore around 10am from Davangere. We reached NH4 within 15-20mins. Once on the NH4 we were cruising at around 100-110kmph. This time we stopped at Athitya Hotel. I ordered Masala Dosa. They have one of the best dosa. The white chutni they served us was simply delicious and too good. It is definitely a must try dosa if on that route. We were on NH4 and we took exit from Hiriyur for Mysore. The roads were not that good, but some patch of the road was good and some patches were very bad. The road is very lonely, if someone encounters any problem like car breakdown it is difficult to get assistance of that road. The road is called State Highway 150A. We went through Huliyar, Bellur, Nagamangala, Pandavpura and Srirangapatna and finally Mysore. I did not check the Sira route. Someone can guide if it is good to take the above route or the Sira exit. The huriyur exit and Sira exit road meet each other at Kodinagasandra.

We stayed at Mysore till 17.05.2016 morning. We left for Ooty on 17.05.2016 at 11.45am. The road work from Mysore to Ooty is going on therefore, there are some patches of 50-100 mtrs which are not completed. It is surprising to see that, patch of approximately 50-100mtrs are incomplete which otherwise should have been completed. The road condition is good and one can drive at 100kmph for some distance. We saw Chamundi Hills, Mysore Zoo and Brindavan Garden at Mysore.

We crossed the Bandipur National Park. The guard at the gate of the Bandipur National Park very politely and with a smile on his face greets and requests not to stop on road, not to throw plastic waste on the road.

After crossing the Bandipur national Park and on entering Tamil Nadu state we were to cross the Mudumalai Tiger Reserve. We were asked our destination and from where we have arrived. There were two persons who were wearing mask and had a spray which we see in Maharashtra used by the Municipal Corporation for killing the mosquitoes. However, the colour of the smoke emitted from the gun was white. They sprayed the smoke on the tires of the car.

We crossed the Mudumalai Tiger Reserve. The roads were very clean and very good. There were deers, monkeys in abundance. We spotted a wild elephant who was busy with his lunch.

I had planned to take the Masinagudi Ghat Road. I am not sure whether it is called Masinagudi Ghat or Kalhatty Ghat. I had discussion with Ampere about the steepness of the ghat and however, opted to travel via Masinagudi Ghat. I drove the entire ghat in 1st and 2nd Gear. It was fun and I made up the hill comfortably. Without taking any chance, we stopped at the 20th Hairpin bend. There is a small shop of a lady who serves tea. It was a very good tea. By the time she prepared the tea, our car got some break. We again started for Ooty.

We reached Ooty at about 4pm. We had already booked Astoria Residency. Given the peak season and the rush in Ooty, we were lucky to have got rooms at Astroia Residency. It is a good hotel but with No AC. They do not have buffet breakfast, but they provide Rs. 500/- breakfast for the occupants. You can order breakfast for the value of Rs. 500/- from their restaurant. Either it is Rs. 500/- per room or might be Rs. 200/- per person.

The temperature at Ooty was 14`C. A person from Pune is bound to feel cold due to the temperature. We had no idea about the temperature and forgot to carry sweater or sweat shirt. We visited Botanical Garden, Ooty lake etc.

We left from Ooty for Bangalore on 20.05.2016 at 11am. We had planned to have a night halt at Bangalore. At the time of crossing Bandipur National Park, there was change in plan and instead of going to Bangalore we opted to drive directly till Hubli. I had made my booking for Hubli in Clarks Inn Hotel for 21.05.2016. I called the Makemytrip person and informed her that, I want to check in on 20.05.2016 as my plan has got pre-poned. They were very helpful and amended my booking to 20.05.2016. I had also informed the hotel about my change of plan. The hotel also welcomed the same.

I drove till Msyore, took the Outer Ring Road of Mysore. Before Srirangapatna, I thought of going via Nice Road instead of Huriyur. The road condition of Huriyur, i.e. SH 150A was back of my mind therefore, instead of taking SH 150A, I took SH275 all the way till Nice Road exit. After driving for 2 hours, I got some (aggressive) advise from the occupants in the car about the long route taken by me. I realized my mistake of going via SH 275 instead of SH 150A. However, I gave a flash back to the occupants about the road condition of the SH 150A. We reached the Nice road around 5pm. I had thought of driving at about 120kmph till the light conditions were good so that, I can cover as much distance as possible. Somewhere around Ranebennur or Haveri, an accident took place between a car and bull. The bull had died on the first lane of the road. There was ambulance for taking the victims. People standing on the road were signaling their mobile torch light about the accident. There had been unfortunate loss of life of the bull. We reached Hotel Clarks Inn, Hubli around 9.45pm. The dinner served by the hotel was also very good. We had our dinner and slept due to the tiring drive of 12hrs. Also we were to leave for Pune tomorrow. We had thought of leaving for Pune at around 11am, as were not in hurry to reach Pune.

We started from Hubli for Pune at 11am. We had complimentary breakfast with our room, so we were not required to take a halt anywhere before lunch. We stopped at Hotel Sai International for lunch. This time we had food at the Sai International Restaurant. We had our lunch and very close to the hotel there was a HPCL Petrol Pump. We took a halt of 45 mins at Sai International. We filled the tank and left for Pune. We reached Pune at around 6.45pm.

For the entire journey I might have filled diesel of Rs. 12,000/-. We felt that the government has strategically placed toll booths so that, the person driving the car does not feel tired driving the car. Though they are charging toll but the condition of the road is too good. I was not even stopped once by police of any state (Karnataka, Tamil Nadu) as my car being an outside state car, which was very nice.

The entire journey from Pune-Mysore-Ooty-Nice Road-Hubli-Pune was 2199.6 kms. All in all it was great to drive 2199kms single handedly. The challenge of driving on Masinagudi Ghat, the beauty of Hubli Dharwad Road, the rain pouring on the car around Hubli. I lost my data from Hubli to Pune, otherwise I would have definitely uploaded the video where one Innova guy was trying to overtake a truck and the truck in front of him was also overtaking a truck. It would have resulted into another unfortunate event.
Attached Thumbnails
Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-pune-satara.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-pune-satara-diversion.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-pune-satara-traffic-jam.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-pune-kolhapur-road.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-pune-belgaum-road.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-pune-bangalore-highway.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-sankeshwar-gandhilanj.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-hubali-dharwad.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-davangere-exit.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-sh-150a.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-sh-150a-road.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-ring-road-mysore.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-mysore-ooty-through-some-villages.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-mysore-ooty-bad-patch.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-mysore-ooty-good-road.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-mysore-ooty-good-section.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-mysore-ooty-road.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-mysore-ooty-traffic.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-through-bandipur-national-park-1.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-through-bandipur-national-park.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-mudumalai-national-park-1.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-mudumalai-national-park.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-masinagudi-market.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-road-towards-kalhatty-ghat.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-beginning-masinagudi-ghat.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-road-ooty.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-ooty-internal-road.jpg  

Pune - Mysore : Route Queries-accident-nh4.jpg  

kabir3551 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 15:19   #165
BHPian

I will give the detail about the images uploaded by me.

1. Pune-Satara Road.
2. Pune-Satara Diversion.
3. Traffic Jam on Pune-Satara Road.
4. Pune-Kolhapur Road.
5. Pune-Bangalore Highway.
6. Pune-Belgaum Road.
7. Hubli-Dharwad Road.
8. Exit to Davangere.
9. State Highway 150A.
10. SH150A through Villages.
11. Mysore Ring Road.
12. Mysore-Ooty Road.
13. Mysore-Ooty Bad patch.
14. Mysore-Ooty Good Section.
15. Mysore-Ooty Good Section.
16. Mysore-Ooty Road.
17. Mysore-Ooty Traffic Jam.
18. Bandipur National Park.
19. Bandipur National Park 1.
20. Mudumalai Tiger Reserve.
21. Masinagudi Market.
22. Road towards Kalhatty (Masinagudi) Ghat.
23. Beginning of Masinagudi Ghat.
24. Start to Ooty.
25. Internal road of Ooty.
26. Accident on NH4.
kabir3551 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed