Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 08:43   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: Pune - Mysore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I had missed this comment before. I did consider this, but then it will eat up time I guess. If the road after Hiriyur to Mysore is good enough, I would stick to it.
That is true.

But do look at it from this point to :

Hiriyur-Mysore is about 215-220 (I just checked in Google maps).
And via 4-Lane is about 290. The difference is about 70km which translates to ~40 minutes on the 4-lane.
Old 16th October 2012, 13:28   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is true.

But do look at it from this point to :

Hiriyur-Mysore is about 215-220 (I just checked in Google maps).
And via 4-Lane is about 290. The difference is about 70km which translates to ~40 minutes on the 4-lane.
Yes, its 214 vs. 284 Km on google maps. What do you think about the traffic on this route on a Sunday evening just after Diwali? I will be travelling on 18th of November. If its not going to be bad, I think this is worth exploring. I guess there will be a few people on the Bengaluru Mysore road that evening returning to Mysore after Diwali? Or the traffic would be in the opposite direction and I need not worry?
Old 16th October 2012, 13:41   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, its 214 vs. 284 Km on google maps. What do you think about the traffic on this route on a Sunday evening just after Diwali? I will be travelling on 18th of November. If its not going to be bad, I think this is worth exploring. I guess there will be a few people on the Bengaluru Mysore road that evening returning to Mysore after Diwali? Or the traffic would be in the opposite direction and I need not worry?
Most traffic should be the opposite way (Mysore to Bangalore) !
Since it may be night, 4 lane should be more reliable too.

But, yes the route through interiors is also fun to take.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 13:45   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess there will be a few people on the Bengaluru Mysore road that evening returning to Mysore after Diwali? Or the traffic would be in the opposite direction and I need not worry?
I will never bet on BLR-Mys road. Prepare for delays, hope for a quick pass through. It is no damn highway - even BLR ring roads are better.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 14:36   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Most traffic should be the opposite way (Mysore to Bangalore) !
Since it may be night, 4 lane should be more reliable too.

But, yes the route through interiors is also fun to take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I will never bet on BLR-Mys road. Prepare for delays, hope for a quick pass through. It is no damn highway - even BLR ring roads are better.
Well.. well.. I guess I would stick to the interior road rather than adding more headache.
Old 16th October 2012, 14:47   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Figopian - just one thing to remember. Karnataka roads means un-marked speed breakers at every village & settlement. So any where you see even a group oj houses, just be prepared to slow down
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 14:48   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Driving on Mysore road is a pain. In fact there is a whole separate thread on the misery of driving on Mysore road . If you have an alternative, take it.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 17:08   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Figopian - just one thing to remember. Karnataka roads means un-marked speed breakers at every village & settlement. So any where you see even a group oj houses, just be prepared to slow down
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige

Driving on Mysore road is a pain. In fact there is a whole separate thread on the misery of driving on Mysore road . If you have an alternative, take it.
Point taken.
Most replies suggest to be aware of the horrible speed breakers. Being in Figo this will be challenging, but I guess it's still a better bet than Bangalore Mysore highway.

Thanks a ton guys!
Old 16th October 2012, 17:46   #69
BHPian

Its been a year since I started this thread - many helpful people responded (thanks again!!) , and I eventually made this trip. How I wish for another drive to Kerala! Dont know when it will happen..

Yes I remember that some of those speed breakers were nasty. I missed a couple of them and had to do panic breaking. That and a small bad stretch apart, the drive was quite nice.

Having driven around 700 km from Pune to Hiriyur on 4-laned roads at comparatively higher speeds, this stretch allowed me to relax, and I remember reaching Mysore fairly fresh. A comparatively traffic-free stretch where you can maintain around 80 kph for most part, and not worry all the time about having to overtake someone. The route also gives a nice view of interior Karnataka .
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 07:15   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
A comparatively traffic-free stretch where you can maintain around 80 kph for most part, and not worry all the time about having to overtake someone.
The problem with BLR-Mys Road is that there is just too many things on the road, apart from traffic. One has to be negotiating all that, along with traffic. No fun :(

Might as well take the interior road, drive at about the same avg speed and reach feeling fresh & relaxed
Old 17th October 2012, 09:41   #71
BHPian

Bigzero, Condor,

Any good HP diesel pumps on this interior road from Hiriyur to Mysore? Or any suggestions in Mysore? I am booked at Ginger in Mysore and would be heading Ooty from there.
Old 17th October 2012, 09:55   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Bigzero, Condor,

Any good HP diesel pumps on this interior road from Hiriyur to Mysore? Or any suggestions in Mysore? I am booked at Ginger in Mysore and would be heading Ooty from there.
Hmm, I remember passing by a couple of them at least, but have no idea about the quality of fuel.

Better idea will be to tank up before you leave NH4. May be at Chitradurga.
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 10:21   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Hmm, I remember passing by a couple of them at least, but have no idea about the quality of fuel.

Better idea will be to tank up before you leave NH4. May be at Chitradurga.
Thanks Bigzero. I am also making a Pune-Mysore trip this weekend. On google maps, I see a couple of pumps at Chitradurga. Is the fuel quality good there? Or do i tank up in Belgaum itself? Any suggestions?
Old 17th October 2012, 10:28   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Thanks Bigzero. I am also making a Pune-Mysore trip this weekend. On google maps, I see a couple of pumps at Chitradurga. Is the fuel quality good there? Or do i tank up in Belgaum itself? Any suggestions?
Belgaum would be a better option to tank up. Also, please carry cash with you since most of the pumps do not accept Card.
Gomzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 23:47   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomzy View Post
Belgaum would be a better option to tank up. Also, please carry cash with you since most of the pumps do not accept Card.
Hi Gomzy,

Since he is starting from Pune, perhaps the better option to tank up would be Konduskar's at Kolhapur, as the petrol would be cheaper than in Belgaum

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks