Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2011, 09:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trip to Saurashtra by road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post

Anyone have an idea about Leo resorts. Is it a good idea to stay in Junagadh and cover Gir and Somnath?
To got to Diu, you anyway you have to go via Somnath(Veraval) i.e Junagadh-Gir-Veraval-Diu. So, no point in staying in Junagadh to cover Gir & Somanth. You could stay in Junagadh to cover Gir, but if you come to Somnath, there's no point go back to Junagadh, only to come back on the same route to go to Diu.

I would say stay in Junagadh for a day go to Gir, then come back to Junagadh. Reach Veraval(Somnath) in the evening, stay at a hotel. Next morning, go to Somnath temple and other temples(if you wish), have lunch in the afternoon and leave for Diu.
Old 6th November 2011, 11:16   #17
BHPian

skanchan95, point noted

Changed my plan somewhat,
Day 1 Gondal - Junagadh - Somnath : Reach before evening - Stay Lord's Inn
Day 2 Somnath - Gir - Reach before lunch - Stay birding lodge
Day 3 Gir - Diu - Reach before evening - Stay Magico Do Mar
Day 4 - Diu
Day 5 - Back to Gondal by evening maybe via Junagadh again, see something missed first time

Does this plan seem ok? All bookings are getting full and I have to do this in next couple of days.
Old 6th November 2011, 15:34   #18
BHPian

@jesrani: I have replied to your PM. Your new plan seems ok, however try to fit in two safaris at Gir (they have three fixed timings 0630-0930,0930-1230 and 1530-1830) as if you do not spot lions in your first safari (we didn't, though we were plain unlucky), it will be a big disappointment for your family. Also please try and speak to the Gir Birding lodge people about the permits for these safaris before hand as there is quite a rush at Gir these days.

If you are ok with slightly changing your plan, try to fit in two nights at Gir instead of Diu.
Volt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 16:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
@jesrani: I have replied to your PM. Your new plan seems ok, however try to fit in two safaris at Gir (they have three fixed timings 0630-0930,0930-1230 and 1530-1830) as if you do not spot lions in your first safari (we didn't, though we were plain unlucky), it will be a big disappointment for your family. Also please try and speak to the Gir Birding lodge people about the permits for these safaris before hand as there is quite a rush at Gir these days.

If you are ok with slightly changing your plan, try to fit in two nights at Gir instead of Diu.
Thanks for the reply, I have also sent another PM. I am planning to reach Gir before noon on 27th December and take a safari on the same day. In case no lions seen, take another one next morning and then proceed for Diu. Only hope it won't be hectic for kids.

Do we have to book safari through hotel only? Gir Birding is charging Rs.2,600 per safari, is the price okay?

Your positive review about Lord's inn and Magico Do Mar have really helped.

Earlier I was thinking of taking taxi to go to these places, now going to travel in own vehicle. First time it will be such a long journey for me. Hope the Junagadh-Somnath-Gir-Diu roads are not too bad.
Old 6th November 2011, 16:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Hope the Junagadh-Somnath-Gir-Diu roads are not too bad.
We were charged Rs. 950 for a safari by Lion Safari Camp, (add Rs. 100 for guide charges and Rs. 100 for your camera if it is more than 7 mp) I think Rs. 2600 is a bit steep, but I guess arranging for a permit on your own would involve a lot of hassles and cost you time.

The Junagadh - Gir section is ok, however Gir - Diu is bad in patches around Kodinar. Also do not forget the right turn at Kesariya (hope the spelling is right) while going towards Diu, other wise you will end up at Una (from where you can go to Diu too).
Old 6th November 2011, 18:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
We were charged Rs. 950 for a safari by Lion Safari Camp, (add Rs. 100 for guide charges and Rs. 100 for your camera if it is more than 7 mp) I think Rs. 2600 is a bit steep, but I guess arranging for a permit on your own would involve a lot of hassles and cost you time.

The Junagadh - Gir section is ok, however Gir - Diu is bad in patches around Kodinar. Also do not forget the right turn at Kesariya (hope the spelling is right) while going towards Diu, other wise you will end up at Una (from where you can go to Diu too).
Talked to Gir Birding Lodge office in Delhi to confirm booking. Will make the payment in a day or two. Asked him about the high rates and he said it is for exclusive vehicle. He said I should confirm for the permit also as otherwise it may be difficult in peak season. I want to confirm one safari and take a chance on another one in current if I don't see a lion. I am thinking of confirming the 3.30pm safari on the day we reach. If we don't see any lions, we take the morning safari of 9.30am (provided I get permit at that time). Else we just leave for Diu.

BTW, how is Diu? What places you visited?
Old 6th November 2011, 19:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
skanchan95, point noted

Changed my plan somewhat,
Day 1 Gondal - Junagadh - Somnath : Reach before evening - Stay Lord's Inn
Day 2 Somnath - Gir - Reach before lunch - Stay birding lodge
Day 3 Gir - Diu - Reach before evening - Stay Magico Do Mar
Day 4 - Diu
Day 5 - Back to Gondal by evening maybe via Junagadh again, see something missed first time
On Day 2, going back to Gir after visiting Somnath is going backwards again( i.e towards Junagadh). You will have to go to Gir via Talala from Veraval( Somnath). The Talala route goes to Junagadh via Mendadra. So I suggest the following itinerary.

Day 1 Gondal - Junagadh - Gir : Reach before evening - Stay Birding Lodge
Day 2 Spend the day going for safari in Gir. Leave for Veraval(Somnath) in the evening. Stay at Lord's Inn.
Day 3 Visit Somnath temple in the morning. Leave for Diu in the after noon( takes less than two hours to reach Diu) - Stay Magico Do Mar
Day 4 - Diu

Quote:
Also do not forget the right turn at Kesariya (hope the spelling is right) while going towards Diu, other wise you will end up at Una (from where you can go to Diu too).
Yeah, there are no sign boards in Kesariya pointing towards Diu. There used to be a circle, which was destroyed. The taxi driver would know the right turn.

A general warning to all those who visit Diu. If one drinks alcohol in Diu, take care and do remember to remove all waste liquor bottles/cans from your vehicle before leaving Diu. Those cops in Gujarat will harass you no end even if they find an empty beer can in the vehicle. And,most importantly, do not drink & drive. I have seen many non-GJ-11(Junagadh RTO) vehicles get caught at the gujarat checkpost and many fellows(some of them drunk) trying to negotiate with the cops.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 6th November 2011 at 19:45.
Old 6th November 2011, 19:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95

On Day 2, going back to Gir after visiting Somnath is going backwards again( i.e towards Junagadh). You will have to go to Gir via Talala from Veraval( Somnath). The Talala route goes to Junagadh via Mendadra. So I suggest the following itinerary.

Day 1 Gondal - Junagadh - Gir : Reach before evening - Stay Birding Lodge
Day 2 Spend the day going for safari in Gir. Leave for Veraval(Somnath) in the evening. Stay at Lord's Inn.
Day 3 Visit Somnath temple in the morning. Leave for Diu in the after noon( takes less than two hours to reach Diu) - Stay Magico Do Mar
Day 4 - Diu
Oh oh.. Unfortunately I have already confirmed dates to hotels.also lords inn has room available only on the day and not next day. I think I will have to stick to this schedule. Another point is that gir hotel includes lunch in the tariff so I want to reach by lunch
Old 7th November 2011, 09:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh oh.. Unfortunately I have already confirmed dates to hotels.also lords inn has room available only on the day and not next day. I think I will have to stick to this schedule. Another point is that gir hotel includes lunch in the tariff so I want to reach by lunch
Never mind. Stick to your schedule since its all planned now. Have fun & hope you get to spot some Lions, Cheetahs & Leopards in Gir. Good Luck and do post your experiences and pictures later
Old 7th November 2011, 11:07   #25
BHPian

@volt, just sent you a PM. I am thinking of booking Lion Safari Camp, seems better.
Old 7th November 2011, 15:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
On Day 2, going back to Gir after visiting Somnath is going backwards again( i.e towards Junagadh). You will have to go to Gir via Talala from Veraval( Somnath). The Talala route goes to Junagadh via Mendadra.
@skanchan95, I was checking the route on Sygic software on my mobile, I think they use mapmyindia maps.
According to this, Junagadh-Veraval is shows as via Keshod, NH8E.
Then to Go to Gir it shows Veraval-Talava route.
To go to Diu from Gir, the route shown is Talala-Kodinar-Kajardi-Ghoghla.
Are these routes okay?
The one you mentioned, Talala-Mendara-Junagadh, seems to be smaller road?

Edit, this is the Junagadh area map:
Attached Thumbnails
Trip to Saurashtra by road?-wikimapia_google_saurashtra.jpg  

Last edited by jesrani : 7th November 2011 at 15:42.
Old 7th November 2011, 16:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@skanchan95, I was checking the route on Sygic software on my mobile, I think they use mapmyindia maps.
According to this, Junagadh-Veraval is shows as via Keshod, NH8E.
The one you mentioned, Talala-Mendara-Junagadh, seems to be smaller road?
To go from Junagadh to Veraval there are two main roads. One is the main highway (i.e Junagadh-Vanthali-Keshod-Veraval - the one marked on the map).

The second smaller one goes right through Gir (i.e Junagadh-Mendarda-Talala-Veraval). This second route gets closed for traffic after 5:30 PM( I think). If you look at this route, you will understand what I meant by saying "going back to Gir after visiting Somnath(Veraval) is going backwards again(towards Junagadh).

Quote:
To go to Diu from Gir, the route shown is Talala-Kodinar-Kajardi-Ghoghla.
Are these routes okay?
There are many internal routes and there are chances that you may get lost( we did get lost inside Gir on a bike trip as there were many confusing internal branches and who knows what condition those roads are in), so its better to stick to the main highway to go to Diu from Gir ( i.e Gir-Talala-Veraval-Prachi-Kodinar-Kesariya-Diu). I have never taken the Talala-Kodinar direct route, so cannot comment on that route.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 7th November 2011 at 16:38.
Old 7th November 2011, 17:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
so its better to stick to the main highway to go to Diu from Gir ( i.e Gir-Talala-Veraval-Prachi-Kodinar-Kesariya-Diu)
We took this route, the time taken was 2.5 hours. I too think you should stick to this route.

@jesrani: It was nice talking to you, sorry couldn't reply to your PM earlier. Hope you got the desired booking at Lion Safari Camp.
Old 7th November 2011, 17:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

These are from a bike trip that we took inside Gir six years ago. We went inside Gir early in the afternoon, had fun and in the evening got hopelessly lost with most of the bikes running low on fuel( took a wrong turn somewhere). Some of our bikes tanks ran empty in the middle of the jungle and we had to push them, it wasn't fun anymore but was scary( wet dark jungle with your vehicle running on fumes is something else, it can overhelm you thinking there are lions around). You can see from the photographs that the roads that at certain places roads narrow down and are bad at places.

Trip to Saurashtra by road?-dsc00576.jpg
Trip to Saurashtra by road?-dsc00578.jpg

Trip to Saurashtra by road?-dsc00584.jpg

Trip to Saurashtra by road?-dsc00588.jpg

Trip to Saurashtra by road?-dsc00594.jpg

Trip to Saurashtra by road?-dsc00602.jpg

Trip to Saurashtra by road?-dsc00626.jpg

Trip to Saurashtra by road?-dsc00625.jpg

Fuel tank Empty again on the highway
Trip to Saurashtra by road?-dsc00628.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 7th November 2011 at 17:37.
Old 7th November 2011, 18:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
We took this route, the time taken was 2.5 hours. I too think you should stick to this route.

@jesrani: It was nice talking to you, sorry couldn't reply to your PM earlier. Hope you got the desired booking at Lion Safari Camp.
@volt, nice talking to you too and appreciate the advice. Yes, I got the booking at Lion Safari Camp.

Will stick to main road only on all routes.

Most Viewed