Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 16:39   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Thiruvarur

I am planning a temple trip from Bangalore to Thiruvarur.

Please share your suggestion on the following are two routes, based on the road conditions.

Route 1: Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy-Thajavur-Thiruvarur

Route 2: Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Virudhachalam-Kumbakonam-Thiruvarur

I wish to visit a few temples on the way. With 2 days in hand, I think there are enough options on both the routes. I am going to travel with a 1 yr old baby in a sedan(Optra) with really low GC. The plan is to leave Bangalore around 6 pm, take rest that night at Salem and leave for the remainder of the trip the following morning.
Old 28th October 2011, 17:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Thiruvarur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
I am going to travel with a 1 yr old baby in a sedan(Optra) with really low GC. The plan is to leave Bangalore around 6 pm, take rest that night at Salem and leave for the remainder of the trip the following morning.
Any way Namakkal-Trichy is the better route. In the two days, you can spend on at Trichy and one at Tanjore/Kumbakonam.
But surely you won't able to do the Navagraha visit as it would be pretty hectic with a 1 year old.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 17:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning a temple trip from Bangalore to Thiruvarur.

Please share your suggestion on the following are two routes, based on the road conditions.

Route 1: Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy-Thajavur-Thiruvarur

Route 2: Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Virudhachalam-Kumbakonam-Thiruvarur

I wish to visit a few temples on the way. With 2 days in hand, I think there are enough options on both the routes. I am going to travel with a 1 yr old baby in a sedan(Optra) with really low GC. The plan is to leave Bangalore around 6 pm, take rest that night at Salem and leave for the remainder of the trip the following morning.
I too agree with Amp. Route 1 is the best available for you. Avoid Route 2 as 4 Laning is on between Salem and Attur and road condition is very bad. And also, keep in mind that you do Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy and do not do Namakkal-Karur-Trichy. Just wanted to warn you on the Karur-Trichy section. This is the worst under construction road I have come across in recent times. Thoroughly avoidable.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 20:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I too agree with Amp. Route 1 is the best available for you. Avoid Route 2 as 4 Laning is on between Salem and Attur and road condition is very bad. And also, keep in mind that you do Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy and do not do Namakkal-Karur-Trichy. Just wanted to warn you on the Karur-Trichy section. This is the worst under construction road I have come across in recent times. Thoroughly avoidable.
Will follow route 1 then. Is namakkal-musiri-trichy 4 laned? I have had worst experience with private buses when travelling between salem and erode at the time when the roads were being laid.
Old 28th October 2011, 20:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will follow route 1 then. Is namakkal-musiri-trichy 4 laned? I have had worst experience with private buses when travelling between salem and erode at the time when the roads were being laid.
Namakkal-Musiri is a SH and not a NH. The 4L that you were referring to is NH67 from Karur-Musiri-Trichy, which is in bad state.

The one we are referring to is:

Namakkal (divert here from NH7) - Musiri- Trichi. But here Musiri-Trichy is on SH25 and not NH67 (which is on the other side of Cauvery.)

Here is the route link
Old 11th April 2012, 09:33   #6

Hi Sylvan
I'm planning the same trip this weekend. Can you tell me about your experience..? and if this is still the best route to take from Blr- Thiruvarur..

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th April 2012 at 09:38. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 09:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

NH67 between Kulithalai & Trichy is still being widened, but its condition is much better and if you have the patience, probably the direct route may be preferred to reach Trichy from Karur.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:09   #8
J.Ravi

Quote:
Will follow route 1 then.
Trichy-Thanjavur-Thiruvarur are on NH 67, which was in good condition throughout, when I drove on this stretch in August 2011. Trichy-Thanjavur is fully 4-laned including excellent Thanjavur bypass. Four laning works were in progress on many stretches, but traffic volume was less from Thanjavur to Thiruvarur.

Old 11th April 2012, 10:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3939 View Post
Hi Sylvan
I'm planning the same trip this weekend. Can you tell me about your experience..? and if this is still the best route to take from Blr- Thiruvarur..
For Bangalore - Thiruvarur, taking Salem-Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy-Thanjavur-Thiruvarur is still your best bet. Avoid taking Karur-Trichy raod if you love your car.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:37   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For Bangalore - Thiruvarur, taking Salem-Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy-Thanjavur-Thiruvarur is still your best bet. Avoid taking Karur-Trichy raod if you love your car.
The better option is via Thuraiyur and not Musiri. That would also help one reach directly Trichy
by-pass on the GST from where one can hop on to the Tanjore 4-lane.

@Ravib is the person who knows that route inside out!

Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy-Bypas- Tanjore-Bypass-Thiruvarur.

Here is the route link:

Route via Thuraiyur

Last edited by ampere : 11th April 2012 at 10:40.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The better option is via Thuraiyur and not Musiri. That would also help one reach directly Trichy
by-pass on the GST from where one can hop on to the Tanjore 4-lane.

@Ravib is the person who knows that route inside out!

Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy-Bypas- Tanjore-Bypass-Thiruvarur.

Here is the route link:

Route via Thuraiyur
Namakkal-Thuraiyur may not be smooth ride Amp. I did this route 6 months back and the roads were pathetic. I don't know the latest status though.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:54   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Namakkal-Thuraiyur may not be smooth ride Amp. I did this route 6 months back and the roads were pathetic. I don't know the latest status though.
@Ramesh, This was what last I saw from Ravi.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2564807

He says don't go all the way till Thuraiyur, but divert at Pagalavadi
(But again that was Nov)

Last edited by ampere : 11th April 2012 at 11:03.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

That is interesting route, Amp. That may be worth trying. But, getting the latest status would be better because of the heavy rains in TN in Nov and Dec.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is interesting route, Amp. That may be worth trying. But, getting the latest status would be better because of the heavy rains in TN in Nov and Dec.
Update from my close friend who did Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Perambalur 10 days back.
He confirmed that it is still in good condition, but few more new pot holes. Don't think its a point to worry.

Suggest, to still go with Thuraiyur road option to reach Trichy. Note that you don't have to go till Thuraiyur town. Once you join SH30, you can take a right towards kannanur. Ask for Jayaram College and people can direct you.

Namakkal, Tamil Nadu to Tiruchchirappalli, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 09:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Update from my close friend who did Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Perambalur 10 days back.
He confirmed that it is still in good condition, but few more new pot holes. Don't think its a point to worry.

Suggest, to still go with Thuraiyur road option to reach Trichy. Note that you don't have to go till Thuraiyur town. Once you join SH30, you can take a right towards kannanur. Ask for Jayaram College and people can direct you.

Namakkal, Tamil Nadu to Tiruchchirappalli, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

-Ravi
Thanks everyone! This is my first trip to Trichy/Thiruvarur....appreciate all the suggestions :-)

Planning to do BLR-Salem - Namakkal - Kannanur - Pagalavadi - Trichy-Thiruvarur now. Will update on experience once I return.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks