Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 10:12   #16
BHPian

Any idea who insures these vehicles in case of damage? I guess the Hertz/Avis kind of operators would have insurance, but i am just wondering what happens when you damage a car from a lesser known agent.

I too have thought about renting a van once in a while when the whole family goes but the pricing of say a Qualis with driver works out to be lesser than a self driven MUV.
Old 30th March 2009, 10:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the info guys!
avis is definately cheaper.
For 1 week i'm getting a quote of approx: 13000 for an ikon.
Still, I would prefer a smaller car - smaller the better (preferably M800 or Alto).
My father is going to call some friends in chennai, to see if they know anyone who has a car for rent.

cheers
Old 30th March 2009, 11:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

in Chennai- i dont think Hertz has mid sized. They have only small cars. (santros)
when i checked about 4 months ago - it was about 1300 per day.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
thanks for the info guys!
avis is definately cheaper.
For 1 week i'm getting a quote of approx: 13000 for an ikon.
Still, I would prefer a smaller car - smaller the better (preferably M800 or Alto).
My father is going to call some friends in chennai, to see if they know anyone who has a car for rent.

cheers
A NRI friend of mine wanted a small car for a month or max 2 months. So I took him to an used car dealer who charged him 1.5 Lakhs for a 5 year old Alto and took the same back from him for 1.45 Lakhs after 2 months. Get the drift ? Far better than renting.
Old 30th March 2009, 22:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

^^ the guy only took 5k profit (+ interest on the 1.5 lakh) for two months?! was the dealer a known person or just random?
also was the buy-back guaranteed and price fixed in advance? If purchased, would I have to also procure insurance?

sounds like an awesome deal, but how hassle free was the procedure? Would it be worth it considering I would only be there for 5 weeks?

cheers
Old 30th March 2009, 22:39   #21
BHPian

Budget Car Rental (yes the american firm) has a franchisee in Velachery,Chennai. A couple of months back they quoted 1500 (incl insurance) per day for a 7seater Innova. Ford Fiesta was the only other option and was 300 Rs cheaper. Per day limit of 150kms is not applicable if rented for more than 3 days. Per km charge above the limit is 6/km. The deposit required was quite high around 50k. Guess Incase of a damage/dispute it will be withheld till arbitration?
I've seen their vehicles and they are like brand new, with black number plates with yellow letters.

Called Hertz Bangalore today to check prices there, and they charge 1500 for a Santro!! There are also a bunch of local operators, have no information about them.
Old 31st March 2009, 00:18   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
Budget Car Rental (yes the american firm) has a franchisee in Velachery,Chennai.
Do you have the contact details? The Avis website has only the Trident Hotel on GST Road as the renting loation.
Old 1st June 2009, 22:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

ok guys, my trip is approaching fast and I am yet to finalize a car for use.
i have received several options but the most feasible and economic seems to be the one esteem lover suggested:

buy a car and sell it back to the same dealer at the end of the trip.

However I have a few questions:
- Is it a good idea to get written agreement - guarantee the dealer will buy back?
- Is it possible to just leave the car registration in the dealers name? I mean no point in going through the hassle of registering in my name then re-registering at the end of our relatively short stay.
- What is a fair buy back price? I am ready to buy the car for about 50k rs and will use it only in chennai city for about 6 weeks. How much profit should the dealer make?

Considering he will also earn a little on interest on the 50k when it's with him, I think 5 to 8 thousand is fair.

- Any suggestions for dealers in that price range? preferably in south chennai

and finally,

- What Car?!? for 50k I'm guessing M800 will be the one but is anything else suitable for that price for city use? AC will be a plus but no requirement. The 50k is stretchable if the car is worth it. TBH, i'm hoping to find a santro for around 70-ish.

cheers guys - let the answers pour in!

Last edited by anekho : 1st June 2009 at 22:35.
Old 26th February 2010, 13:56   #24
BANNED

Hi Guys

There are lots of operators in chennai who rent cars like gets,santro,wagonR,innova,xylo,qualis, ect...

one such is getscar pvt ltd

I am just interacting with them today for innova for a day @ 3000.
Old 13th January 2011, 09:59   #25
BHPian

Re: Car Rentals in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi Guys

There are lots of operators in chennai who rent cars like gets,santro,wagonR,innova,xylo,qualis, ect...

one such is getscar pvt ltd

I am just interacting with them today for innova for a day @ 3000.
Joshguy - any update on the above post. I'm planning to book innova, tavera or any other seven seater vehicle for my pondicherry trip next week.

Could you please give contact details of operators.

Regards,
Imran
Old 13th January 2011, 21:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Do you guys have contact information/websites of these rental agencies? Would be handy information for other BHPians too.
Old 15th January 2011, 23:34   #27
BHPian

Guys, does any of you have some first hand experience of renting a self-drive car in Chennai? I am looking out for a 7-8 seater vehicle (Innova/Bolero/Xylo) etc. for a 24 hour trip to Kadalur. I came across this getscar (getscar.com) and they are quoting 2520/- for Bolero, Rs.2970/- for Xylo and Rs.3465/- for Innova. This is excluding the service charge of 4.12% which seems to be costly.
Old 30th October 2011, 23:59   #28
BHPian

Car Rental services in chennai - enquiry

Hi,

We are going to travel to hyderabad on the next weekend. Its a last minute plan, so no train tickets are available. so I would like to know any car rental services in chennai without a driver.

We need a car for rent for 2 days. Any hatchback will be good, probably diesel. I searched in google and came across a car rent service. this is the price he quoted me

" swift diesel - 2000 for the car itself.
deposit - 5000/-
documents - license, passport, ration card (everything original to be submitted)
we can drive only 300 kms per day. extra km will be charged 5 per km

chennai - hyderabad - 650km... to and fro - 1300...

so i will be paying 4000 more for the extra kms itself plus I have to spent for diesel.

do u think I can take this offer. please let me if anyone knows any other provider who provides car for rent without a driver.

thanks and regards

uday

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st October 2011 at 06:36. Reason: Threads merged. Please SEARCH before creating a new thread, and quite a few on this topic exist. Thanks.
Old 31st October 2011, 06:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani
Hi,

We are going to travel to hyderabad on the next weekend. Its a last minute plan, so no train tickets are available. so I would like to know any car rental services in chennai without a driver.

We need a car for rent for 2 days. Any hatchback will be good, probably diesel. I searched in google and came across a car rent service. this is the price he quoted me

" swift diesel - 2000 for the car itself.
deposit - 5000/-
documents - license, passport, ration card (everything original to be submitted)
we can drive only 300 kms per day. extra km will be charged 5 per km

chennai - hyderabad - 650km... to and fro - 1300...

so i will be paying 4000 more for the extra kms itself plus I have to spent for diesel.

do u think I can take this offer. please let me if anyone knows any other provider who provides car for rent without a driver.

thanks and regards

uday
You can check with autoriders.They are pretty reasonable with their rates.Hertz and Avis are the other options. Check www.autoriders.net

You could check this thread for more details on self drive car agencies.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-agencies.html

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 31st October 2011 at 06:07.
Old 1st November 2011, 13:25   #30
BANNED

Re: Car Rental services in chennai - enquiry

Quote:
Hi, udayjani

i checked your post on car rentals in chennai. You have mentioned about the getscar. Actually I am planning for a weekend trip to hyderabad.

Even i called the getscar guys, they quoted 2000 for swift diesel. 300kms per day. deposit 5000 and 5 per km on extra km.

please let me know any other players in chennai, who is providing cars for rent.

Do u know anyone personally who can rent us a car for 2 days.

regards

uday
Hi Got your PM but i guess there is some problem with your account.i am unable to send PM to you.

You can check http://www.annaicars.com/,but i have not used their services

MODERATORS PLEASE DELETE THIS POST...IT WAS BY MISTAKE

Last edited by joshguy : 1st November 2011 at 13:27.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks